• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with people who have a problem with you liking Pokémon?

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
Years
  • I saw the "too old?" thread and decided this might be a nice kind of spin-off thread.

How do you deal with people who tease or judge you cruelly because you like Pokémon?

I think next time someone challenges me about it, I'll say "Well if Pokémon is such a bad thing, I guess there must have been some error as it's become the second most popular gaming franchise, selling 193 million copies and being more popular than Zelda, The Sims, Final Fantasy and GTA":

https://www.bukisa.com/articles/259315_the-best-selling-video-game-franchises [This may be wrong, but it's been ranked second on several different websites from what I can see.]

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • moving to pokemon general since this can cover games anime tcg the whole brigade etc

and ummmmm people can just spheal with it idc what they think -hair flip-

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • "Your opinion has been duly noted and will be brought up for consideration at the next city meeting...right after we discuss abandoning individualism and adopting a purely conformist government regime."

...or something thereabouts. :/

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2012
    People who i call my friends dont really care because its not like all i talk about is pokemon and i have other interests & for people i dont class as my friends they can say what they want they dont really phase me.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • a lot of people think i'm playing around when i tell them i like pokemon. i don't think you can seriously tease or judge someone for liking pokemon, it would be like teasing someone for liking disney movies, as opposed to teasing someone for their political view. it's just not that serious, it's a playful quirk really.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I've never been teased or judged cruelly for liking Pokemon lol. I remember being around 10-11 and been told "oh man, aren't you getting too old for Pokemon?!" by my friends. Ever since then, I somehow "grew" out of it only to return to it when I'm even older haha. Anyone I know that knows I enjoy Pokemon is accepting of it and even join in on the fun sometimes lol.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Whenever one of my classmates tell me that Pokemon is too childish, I just go O.o and think of the breeding mechanics and how EVs and IVs work. Yeah. My classmates are nice, though, so it's fine. Otherwise, I just ignore them.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I've only been told once that I was too old to play Pokemon when I bought White. My response: "If you don't like my interest in Pokemon, keep your comments to yourself"... theeen I go ahead and tease them about their "childhood" favorite character as my type of revenge. >:)

Virgilia

Chronos.
    Years
  • I used to be obsessed with Pokémon in primary school, but when I joined secondary school, everyone used to think Pokémon was for babies. They didn't really "tease" me, but they just used to try and act too cool for it all. Because of that reason, I grew quite upset with it all, and I abandoned Pokémon for a while. But, my mother told me it's good to be an individual, and I had been looking through all this Black and White news, and I thought "I don't care what other people may think, I'm me, and no one can tell me what to do!"

So, now, I don't really care what people think. If they insult me for my likes and dislikes, then I'll say "Well, you like -appropriate word here-, and I don't, but I don't complain to you, do I?"

Volcom22

Weepingbell Collector.. ^.^
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    My friends constantly tease me for playing Pokemon.. So I just ignore it. If they don't like my interests then they shouldn't bother being friends with me or keep it to themselves.

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years
  • I would simply tell them that I really couldn't care less about what they think. Pokémon makes me happy and I refuse to be told that it shouldn't because of my age. I don't pick on others because of the things they like, so they can bite me.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I dunno, I brush it off. Or kick their asses if they're really annoying me.
    It's not much of a problem where I am because most of my graduating class likes Pokemon. I actually got my DS borrowed once (in class) to make sure someone hadn't screwed my friend over in a trade.
    So yeah. I've never actually gotten teased for it or anything.

Wasen

The Wolf of Darkness
    Years
  • Even if a very few around my area knows and like pokemon as I do so does I not cares what others thinks. It's the same thing as with YGO-cards (as I also duels with). I think it's fun and those who can't accept it is no friend of mine.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    This is what I would say: "Yeah, and you're obsessed with <insert something here>. Should I not like you too because of that?" After which I would ignore them if they continue to have problems with me liking Pokemon.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I remember once I was asked if I was getting to old for Pokemon. The intent of course being that they were saying I was too old for Pokemon. So I answered their question. I said no.

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
  • Pick at something they enjoy...my ex used to get annoyed because I play Neopets, yet he used to play really stupid games. :/

& I have a "friend" who constantly tells me I have no social life because I play Pokemon, and she says it quite maliciously x) I just tell her I don't give a **** and I'll play what I want...

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2011
    I'll just say '' Mind your own business, this makes me happy! ''. Simple as that.

Back