• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with people who have a problem with you liking Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I don't care what people think, honestly. I mean, I'm not gonna parade around talking about how I like Pokémon to people, but I'm not gonna keep it a secret either. I tweet about playing the games frequently and anyone who doesn't like it is completely free to unfollow me. No hard feelings, I don't mind.

All my friends are very well aware of the fact that I enjoy playing the Pokémon games. Hell, some of them like to play as well, and the ones who don't would never bash me for playing, so it's all good.

syotipoke

Nub3r Whatever
    Years
  • I'd just move on and ignore them. NO ONE is too old to play Pokemon. But... if they start trolling about it, then you have the right to defend yourself.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
  • I'm 19 and I play. My roommates all play. There comes a time when you just don't care what people think about your hobbies.

Wasen

The Wolf of Darkness
    Years
  • Too bad so is it kinda like if you're over 13 here so are you "suppose" to not like it anymore since it's to "childish". However, I don't care and even if I've told no one except those who already knows this so am I happy with how it is and how much I like pokemon.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • I try to ignore it. They can have their own opinion and I respect it. But, they don't have to tease me about it.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Me and one of my best friends play Pokemon. Our graduating class is small (7, charter school) and though I don't like to discuss Pokemon at school, my friend was on Serebii and my 1st cousin, a girl who happens to also be in our class, saw it and said in disbelief "You still play Pokemon". And my friend with his big mouth said "Dillon plays it too, he just bought the new White version". I was thinking to myself "You IDIOT". But I calmly said, "Pokemon is the ish, its still good". The male members of the class didn't say a word, it wasn't a big deal. The females tried to say we were too old. I retaliated by saying "At least I'm not dating someone old enough to have grandchildren." (Both girls are dating men 8-12 years older than them in high school. U JUS GOT SERVED. lol.

Years
  • Lots of my friends like Pokemon too, but the ones that don't are usually pretty cool with it. The ones who can't respect what I like I don't see as worthy of being a friend.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • I find them very stupid really. So what if they think I'm too old for Pokemon? Or if you reach a certain limit you automatically can't play it anymore? What are they gonna do? They can't do anything, they only pick on people who they think are "childish" or "nerds" to boost up ego or make them self bigger.

Just a week ago a bunch gr. 9 told me and my friends that we were too old to be playing Pokemon (were in gr.11) and that I should be playing Cod, GTA and those other stuff, so I told them
    "Hmmm, Why are you wearing that kinda clothes? Is it because follows what everyone is wearing? Why are you wearing that shoes? Because people have them and you wanted to fit in? Just because people think were to old doesn't mean we can't play it. We have our own lives, why should you people dictate someone else's life? No one told you guys to buy those kinda clothes, you bought because you wanted to fit in with everybody else. Stop telling people what to do, cause what if someone starts telling you what to do? Would you like it?"

And they just left like a cheetah lol. So what if we like pokemon? Its our lives, we only get to live it once, live your life to the fullest and don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    My friends know I like pokemon, but why is playing or watching pokemon different from any other game or cartoon show. Tbh, if anyone starts to make fun or anything I just dont answer then because its my buisness.

Years
  • I don't see why people have problems with people liking what they like, Pokemon is innocent. Opinions are opinions, and thats the bottom line.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Pokemon being 'lame' seems to be less-so lately, since HG/SS, and B&W have up'd the franchise a bit again. More people are picking it back up, and not insulting it as much. Though, if someone did make fun of me for it, I just shrug it off, turn it into a joke, and change the subject. I haven't been made fun of for liking Pokemon since I was in grade school, so. Once or twice, in college people gave me odd looks, but then we kept talking, and.. it's just whatever. xD It's their opinion, and if they don't like Pokemon that's their deal. If they judge me for it, then they're pretty immature, but that's just how it goes.

Smooky

You blinked, didn't you?
    Years
  • Whenever someone says Pokemon is a "kiddy game", I always think about the intense devotion Pokemon trainers have for their teams. Breeding, EVs, Natures, Movesets... and with so many combos and possibilities, Pokemon is actually a pretty complex RPG, especially when taken to a competitive level with other human players.

I know when I got my little cousin into it, he couldn't quite grasp everything, and he was 10 and a smart kid. I think it even frustrated him enough to stop playing. So... I guess Pokemon is definitely NOT an exclusive "kid game".

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I saw the "too old?" thread and decided this might be a nice kind of spin-off thread.

How do you deal with people who tease or judge you cruelly because you like Pokémon?

I think next time someone challenges me about it, I'll say "Well if Pokémon is such a bad thing, I guess there must have been some error as [S-HIGHLIGHT]it's become the second most popular gaming franchise, selling 193 million copies[/S-HIGHLIGHT] and being more popular than Zelda, The Sims, Final Fantasy and GTA":

https://www.bukisa.com/articles/259315_the-best-selling-video-game-franchises [This may be wrong, but it's been ranked second on several different websites from what I can see.]

AWESOME.

and ummmmm people can just spheal with it idc what they think -hair flip-

LOL Sydian. XD

"Your opinion has been duly noted and will be brought up for consideration at the next city meeting...right after we discuss abandoning individualism and adopting a purely conformist government regime."

...or something thereabouts. :/

:cer_laugh:

I find them very stupid really. So what if they think I'm too old for Pokemon? Or if you reach a certain limit you automatically can't play it anymore? What are they gonna do? They can't do anything, they only pick on people who they think are "childish" or "nerds" to boost up ego or make them self bigger.

Just a week ago a bunch gr. 9 told me and my friends that we were too old to be playing Pokemon (were in gr.11) and that I should be playing Cod, GTA and those other stuff, so I told them
    "Hmmm, Why are you wearing that kinda clothes? Is it because follows what everyone is wearing? Why are you wearing that shoes? Because people have them and you wanted to fit in? Just because people think were to old doesn't mean we can't play it. We have our own lives, why should you people dictate someone else's life? No one told you guys to buy those kinda clothes, you bought because you wanted to fit in with everybody else. Stop telling people what to do, cause what if someone starts telling you what to do? Would you like it?"

And they just left like a cheetah lol. So what if we like pokemon? Its our lives, we only get to live it once, live your life to the fullest and don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want.

Nice retaliatory statement. ;)

As for me, it was more during high school where people really didn't say anything, but I felt there was a slight issue with Pokemon being "childish", visible through facial expressions and stuff. But I don't think it was that much of a problem back then...and collegiate settings seem to have less qualms then it.

Every time I think of such immature people, I think of the awesome music that Pokemon has brought us, wondering if they could compose something similar. Or for that matter, produce something that sells as quickly and as greatly as Pokemon does.

Other times, I guess I attempt ignoring such people... I mostly talk about Pokemon with friends who are into gaming/anime and PokeCommunity people, LOL...

And still other times, I'd like to say, "Are you able to spit flames out of your mouth, possess enough destructive power that maps could potentially be redrawn, or even do anything close to BA like nearly every Pokemon can? No? Then be quiet." Sometimes I envision awesome moments in the Pokemon anime like Pikachu using Volt Tackle, legendary Pokemon wreaking havoc, regular Trainers being BA, Charizard using a ferocious Flamethrower or a powerful Seismic Toss, etc. Giratina often pops up in my mind at such times. Honestly, anyone who thinks Giratina is childish needs to go get their brain thoroughly examined.

How do you deal with people who have a problem with you liking Pokémon?

Years
  • I actually feel like the older I get, the more socially acceptable pokémon becomes. Like my older brother was reminiscing with me about pokémon the other day and I was talking to a university friend about it as well, as easily as if we were talking about music or whatever :)

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    Having my Pokemon gaming mentioned in a negative way is daily life for me. :(
    I always think when they say it: "THEY say something like that!? 0.o They dont do much else than playing FIFA when they get home!" (Really, those guys can stay awake all night playing FIFA when they are togeter, and they tell it in the classroom with no negative commentary)

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I know plenty of people that play it and plenty of people that don't

Only a few times have I ever been confronted about being too old to be playing pokemon but I turned it into a joke. That's just how I am I guess...pretty chill, bro~

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    To be honest the only person who really bothers telling me that I'm 'too old' for Pokemon (or whatever the case is) is my Mom. but for the most part, I ignore her. That, or I use the fact that there are plenty of people at my college who also play the Pokemon games, and even the Pokemon Card game as well. In the past though, I tend to ignore them regardless. I enjoy what I enjoy. What people think about it is not my problem. They can keep their opinions to themselves.

Back