• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about yourself?

Years
  • Do you like yourself?
    No, not really.

Do you care more about yourself than others, or is it the other way around?
    Ummm, I can't really say that I CARE more about myself than others. I mean I'm always trying to please others. But I'm kinda anti-social in rl. I care about my pets :)

How much do you value your life?
    I don't, not REALLY. I do wish I had done something different with my life, made some sort of something out of myself. But I didn't. I know I CAN if I had inclination. Oh well, I'm still here.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Boy did this thread turn dark...

Honestly? I hate myself. I hate the person I am because she's nothing but an imperfection, a mistake. Do I put up with myself? Yes. Because I have to. There's really know way around it. As for comparison to myself and others? Not at all. No one wants to live the life I have to go through. I don't think my life is any better compared to someone else's life.

I don't value my life at all. If it wasn't for music, I'd probably be dead right now. I just don't feel like I should be in a world that can't accept me for who I am, you know? I'm fighting though. I fight everyday to be strong. That's what I'm going to keep doing no matter what life decided to through at me. That's all that truly matters, right?

I hope you don't mind a bit of tough love.

You are who you define yourself to be. Cars don't drive themselves, you're in control of the wheel. Your imperfections are the results of your actions/inaction. Everything you dislike about yourself is entirely your fault, you created your own mess (whatever it is) and you put up with it not because you have to, but because you choose to. The value of your life is as low as you let it fall.

And this is a good thing.

Do you know why it's good? Because it means you can fix it. It means you have the power to change your situation for the better. You are Player 1 in this game, you're the main character of your story. You're not subject to the misdirection or misguidance of anyone else. You are not background noise; you are the main event.

And so what if you haven't been so great at it so far? Every moment you're alive is another moment to do better. If you want to know what the value of life is, it's the value of time that you have to make your experience and the experiences of those around you beautiful. We so readily think about how much we're lacking in comparison to others (usually material) but we never realise that we have the same awesome gift other people have: the gift of being alive. Every breath, every waking moment is a blessing because it is an opportunity to experience all this world has to offer. All you have to do is reach out and take it.

I've never met you, but I promise you are a valuable and a worthwhile person to know. How do I know this? I know this because you are a human being, same as me, same as your neighbour, same as your parents, same as Oprah Winfrey, same as Hayao Miyazaki, same as Natalie Portman, same as Bill Gates --- same as everyone else on earth and THAT is what really matters: in the end, no one is better than anyone else. Sometimes we have more than others, sometimes we have less, but we all have a unique story to tell. And that story always means something.

Your life is your story. Please do not ever tell yourself that isn't worth having.

Anyone else who shares her sentiments, read this! Damn, now I feel like doing something awesome and taking you all along. Oh and as for my answer to this question: hell yes I'm happy with myself. I love my life because it's so malleable. I have my limitations, same as anyone else, but just knowing how much potential is out there that I can achieve when my put my mind to it has me excited to no end (and yes I realise the irony of saying this while I post a lot on an online forum like this hahaha). I guess I balance this with what I like to do, too :) I put a lot of value in the lives of others because of how much they mean to me, so I'd probably put them before me, yeah (I can be selfish when it comes to cookies and stuff though haha).

Life is really beautiful, man. If you don't think so, it's just because you haven't found it yet.

Last edited:

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
    Years
  • Do you like yourself?
    No, I hate myself. But it's because I hate myself that I can strive to improve who I am and become a better person. I think that if I was comfortable with who I am it could lead to arrogance, so I see it as good to dislike and like bits of who you are, as long as you don't allow that hate to spiral out of control. I've been told many times that I'm a very strong person, even if I've never believed it myself.

Depends on context. It's always important to put your own safety as paramount (if someone is injured and you rush in to help them, hurting yourself, then you can't exactly help them can you?). For caring in a more sentimental way I'd say I sometimes come across as not caring when I am. I only have so much love to give, it can be very exhausting to worry about everyone and everything. I have to prioritize what's the most important for me to care about at the time. Saying that, I love my family and I love my friends and I always will.

You only get one shot at it. Even if your life sucks you can't compare it to others, someone once told me "suffering is relative to circumstance". Every life has value, regardless of whether you can see it or not.

Years
  • 1) I used to hate myself so so much, but now I'm actually pretty okay with myself and how I am. The way I see it, I have to live with myself for the rest of my life, so I might as well learn to love myself.

2) It really depends on what's going on. In general I have to say that I put myself first, but there are certain people whom I place above me at times.

3) Whether I value it or not, I'll still have to live with it, and there are no second chances. I don't think I do a good job of living my life to the fullest, but I do value it more than I used to.

Yukari

No I don't like myself, to the point that I hate myself indescribably.

I always put others ahead of myself and will try to help them at any cost

I only value my life because my family and friends would miss me if I were to die, but honestly I feel their lives would be better without me...

Years
  • Do you like yourself?
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy with myself. Of course there's always room for improvement, but we're all human, so it's only natural for us to make mistakes. There isn't anything we can do but try harder to be a better person. That's the ultimate goal, right? To be a better person?

Being perfectly honest, I care about myself quite a bit more than most people. That isn't to say I don't care about certain people, however. There are a many people who I care for more than myself because of my experience with them.

I personally value my life more than a lot of things. I'm my own person in this world and everyone else is their own person. Since I'm only living my life, I tend to lack a bit of empathy towards others, which I'm working on.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Do you like yourself?

Honestly? I love myself. I'd rather be myself than any other person in the world. My life's pretty wonderful. I've done great things, made friends, all that kind of stuff. Sure, there are a lot of mistakes and flaws as well. But there's no point in crying over spilt milk is there? Instead, I use them to make myself a better person. To prevent another situation like it happing anytime soon.

I care about others to a certain limit. Yes, I'd put myself in front of others most of the time. But in certain situations like getting hit by a car instead of my friend, I'd probably be downright selfish. I'd try and help but jumping in front of the moving vehicle? Ouch.

Do you value your life?

And yes, I value my life. I love it for what it is. I'm gonna try and live it to its fullest. Cause, excuse the overused phrase, yolo. You might as well have a good time while you're alive.

Years
  • Do you like yourself?

I really do like myself for who I am, even though some may not consider me a top model at all. It's because I'm different in many ways than other people in this world, and sometimes being unique is not always a bad thing. I've excelled at being a happy person within the last three years or so, and I wish to continue being able to do so.

I honestly care for others as much as I care for myself, unless it's someone looking for attention. Of course I'll put myself in front of others when it comes to something that could danger my life, but if it goes towards something like caring for a friend, then I'll see what's up and help them out in any way possible.

I value my life for what it is. Even though a lot of what I do these days is boring to others, I don't mind doing it at all, and I'm just glad to be alive and well.

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
    Years
  • Do I like myself?
    Yah! I'm a freak! I'm so happy I'm not a conforming, techno-loving, pants-half-off freak.i think I'm the better freak, haha.
    I'm pretty happy with my personality, values, etc.

Do you care more about yourself than others?
    About the same. I value all life equally.

I value it for what it's worth. I just try to live life to the fullest. Carpe diem, right?

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    This is gonna be strange, cos ask me this question 2 years ago and the answers would've been COMPLETELY the opposite.

Do you like yourself?
    2 years ago: no

Now: Yes. I'll be honest, the thing I admire the most about myself is how much I have grown as a person over the past year and a bit, and particularly how I've learned to be comfortable in my own skin. I used to hate the fact that I was flawed and had weaknesses, but over the time I've learned to accept that I'm not (well, wasn't) that good of a person and how I could better myself. And, honestly, it's worked. I really like the way I am now. Of course, there are still things I need to work on (my professional confidence, for example), buuut all in due time. I'm still learning.

2 years ago: I'm ****ing worthless, so I have to care about everyone else over me

Now: To a certain extent, I care about others more than myself. If the decision does not really impact me strongly negatively, I'm cool with putting others' needs in that field before my own. However, in a competitive environment, I'm gonna be a selfish prick. Come on, now.

2 years ago: not at all gonna an hero

Now: Tbh after 2 years ago I've learned to value my life much more after realising how much I actually have and how much I could actually be. Honestly, your life is basically all you've got; take that away and you're nothing. So yes, I definitely value my life highly.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Overall, I'm content with myself. I'm funny, I'm very loyal to my friends, I'm caring (usually too much though), and a bunch of other things. I have cons, as anyone would, but as I go on through life, I learn that some of them can't be changed or compromised, and I'll eventually learn to love them, since I wouldn't be the same without them.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
    Years
  • Do you like yourself?
    I'm pretty happy with who I am. I'm not perfect by any means, but I've learned to accept who I am and everything about me. I've definitely got major faults, including that I'm quick to get down on myself, but that's just part of who I am, no point in hating myself because of it.

It's usually others first. I guess I'm kind of a push over, but I like making people happy. However, certain people find it acceptable to take advantage of that, so lately I've been trying to put myself first. I have no problems being nice, but no one likes being taken advantage of.

A lot more than I used to. A few years ago I got pretty depressed and didn't value my life nearly as much as I should have. I won't go into details, but bottom line is I've gotten a lot better and I'm able to see more than just the negatives about me. :)

So overall, I'm happy with who I am. Everyone has flaws, and instead of beating yourself up over them, you should just work to improve yourself. That's the way I see it anyway.

DunsparceMaster23

The Hand of Fire - Hinote
    Years
    • Age 29
    • PA
    • Seen Dec 18, 2013
    I've come to terms with who I am, and I absolutely hate myself. Not trying to be a downer or get attention, I just know that deep down I'm a really selfish, lazy, irresponsible, jerk. And I don't say this lightly, I base all of this off of my actions. I've always done what I wanted, and tried to better my situation, often to others' expense. And a lot of the things I've valued in the past, I've thrown out the window, just so that I can continue being happy, and in this case it is at someone's expense.

I always put myself first, except in special cases, where I either care so little of the consequences that I'll help someone in need, or I have to in order to keep a facade going.

As for valuing my life? Honestly, my situation has been really bad up until just recently. For the last five to six years of my life I've been on an edge between depressed and suicidal. A couple times I did attempt to kill myself, another display of my selfishness, only barely stopping myself out of fear. Fear, as well as my love for one particular person in my life. I'm in a different spot right now, but it's still a bad spot to be in. I'm honestly not sure what I'll do if things go wrong. Right now I'm happy, but life could, and seriously might, steer in a specific direction that is unwanted. If this happens, my life could easily go back to the way it was again, and if that happens, then the answer is no. I don't value a life that has to be lived that way. Then again, if things work out how they are now, soon enough, I won't be in a bad spot anymore at all, and I can continue being happy with the person I love. If that happens, then I guess my life does have value, even if I hate who I am, and what I've done, because I'll be happy. And like I said, I've comes to terms and accepted who I am, so I won't have any more inner strife to keep me down.

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
  • Do you like yourself?
    Not at all. I'm 15 and am going through puberty. Its hard. I think It's more of that I hate everything that his happening to me right now, and not that I hate myself, although I could be a much better person. I do need to improve, but that can wait until I'm out of this rut.

I care more about everyone else. If I die, no one will miss me, but these other people have a lot to live for. I've failed so far, why should I still try to save myself when I could be helping these people that are more meant for the world than I? I shouldn't. These people have more to live for, so I put them before myself.

At an all time low right now. I honestly could care less if I died. No one will care, so I don't. I'm not going to kill myself, I can live with the life I had, I don't like it, but I can stand it.

Overall, I hate living. I hate who I am, and the majority of people I meet think the same way about me. I will live on as long as I can to get the most out of my useless life, but yeah, I hate myself. I want to change, but I feel like I'm to far down in this rut to come out.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Well right now, I feel like crap because I only got about 2 hours of sleep last night if that. I personally like myself. I like being alone, but I have friends to hang out if I want to. When I was younger (younger in high school) I would go out to parties all the time. Now I have tried to settle down a bit so not to do anything before college. MY social life will pick u pa lot more in college however.

I care about the well being of others, but I care about myself most of all. The only exception is that I care for the people I love more than my self. I value life! Life can go in an instant, it's really a fragile life. I believe we should enjoy and explore life for as long as we live.

Nneuroxin

Shall Mote It Be!
    Years
  • Do you like yourself?
    No, I hate myself. I think I'm pretty useless, weak and stupid. I see myself as a no good bum and a monster of sorts.

I don't care about ****

Not much

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • Do you like yourself?
    Hell Yeah, I'm Awesome

I care more about others than myself. If someone important to me died tomorrow I would rather it be me.

Um, I don't want to die but if I died tomorrow I wouldn't care.

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
  • Do you like yourself?
    No. I hate who I am and how I am.

I actually put most people before me and care for them more than myself.

Very very poorly. It could be wasted away.

Manitee

bury me alive
    Years
  • Yeah. I'm really happy with my life lately. I've changed a lot recently, for the better.

I used to care more about others. Always working my life to please people but now I just say f***k it. If my friends and family were in danger, I'd most likely save them, though.

I value my life lots. Never self harmed, never attempted suicide. I'm a very lucky person, no doubt.

Years
  • I do like myself, to a certain extent. There are times when I self-depreciate myself by thinking I'm not worthy of so-and-so, and that I'm inadequate in comparison to others. I've always thought of myself as being someone suffering from an inferiority complex. Nowadays though, I'm more accepting of who I am, personality, physical appearance, and everything. Though I do tend to care more about my friends and put their needs before mine; it's just in my nature, I honestly can't help that I want to help them in any way I can.

Back