• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How good is you're English?

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
Years
  • This is in terms of written English as opposed to spoken English. It doesn't matter if English is your first language.

So I'd like to know how good people's English is. Whether you use good spelling, grammar and such like. Or... u just write an ongoing sentance with no pauses apostriphe misuse's and general bad spelling and grammer?

Generally, I'm not perfection. I even admit to the odd typo and I do find it hard to spell certain words. But at least I make an effort.

Note: all mispellings (even the title) were intentional to make a point.

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
    Years
  • I was just about to point out the irony of the thread when I saw the "you're" instead of "your" in the title until I saw your post. XD

I think my English is rather good, certainly not the best though. I have a horrible habit of spelling certain words wrong (even when I know the correct spelling) and I make a lot of typos; so I generally proofread what I write a few times if it's important.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I've been posting on Pokémon forums since I was eleven and, to be honest, I think that's the main reason I'm good at both typing and writing in general. I trip up every now and then, and lately I've been very lazy in the sense that I'm using acronyms on the internet too much (I need to shake my "idk" habit), but overall I'm just used to using good grammar and, you know, making sure people understand me online. It's actually much more of a chore to type improperly for me.

I tend to find that if someone doesn't type in proper English and has no exuse for doing so, I skim over their posts or I don't take them seriously. :/

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
  • English was my first language, but I still have trouble pronouncing words properly. Like when speaking I say "three" as "free" :< And "though" as "dough" XD;; I can't say the "th" sound..

But my writing grammar is good, I remember back in the day, it was pretty horrible.. XD; Now, I only type without grammar when I start getting lazy or I have to type really fast.

But I do tend to make some mistakes, most of my typos are the same, like hate/have, my/me, change/chance. These aren't related to grammar though, I have no idea why I make these mistakes. :< But I usually make those mistakes when I haven't payed attention to what I've been typing.

But posts that disregard grammar, like Lightning, I don't really them seriously and I just ignore them, because it's not really worth my time, trying to decypher a post due to bad grammar. (bgs = bad grammar statement :D) It's not really that hard to read over your posts and I'm sure a few extra letters/dots/commas won't kill you. :<

Zet

Years
  • ah english, one of the most annoying languages, I'd have to say my english skills are fairly decent, but I'm not use to those upper class super english(british) words

Years
  • Despite my niggling habit of typos, I'd say my English is at a good standard. I make it essential for myself to type in good spelling and grammar, for the reason that it's a good reflection on me as a person as well as my intelligence. Upon communication via the internet, people often find themselves looking firstly for intellect within others they talk to or just happen to see, which is a reason why chat speak is heavily discouraged even to the point of mockery. I don't judge people upon their use of abbreviation, it's just simply not something I'm fond of doing. Needless to say, good spelling and grammar is also an anticipation for myself as a moderator.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I'd like to think that I'm pretty good at speaking/writing my native language. In my humblest of opinions, I think I'm well spoken and a pretty good writer as well. So, yeah, my english skills are not too bad =P

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • Despite my niggling habit of typos, I'd say my English is at a good standard. I make it essential for myself to type in good spelling and grammar, for the reason that it's a good reflection on me as a person as well as my intelligence. Upon communication via the internet, people often find themselves looking firstly for intellect within others they talk to or just happen to see, which is a reason why chat speak is heavily discouraged even to the point of mockery. I don't judge people upon their use of abbreviation, it's just simply not something I'm fond of doing. Needless to say, good spelling and grammar is also an anticipation for myself as a moderator.

Yeah, you're "typos", Sibby. 8D *shot*

Anyway yeah, I'm pretty much the same. I'm pretty good with my english, aside from the like of grammar and the excessive amount of typos. XD

Emii

I'll Keep Orbiting For You★
    Years
  • I'm good at my English, I think. It's not surprising, since my mom majored in English. It always annoys me when people use bad grammar or double negatives, or mis-pronounce words. That happens all the time where I live, so annoying. >_<; I make lots of typos when I type though, but it makes me mad when I don't correct them because I forgot or whatever. I guess I'm an English perfectionist? XD I dunno.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I'm not horrible, although I could do better. I find myself repeating syntax, sentence structure, and certain words a lot in my fan fictions, and I feel compelled to diversify my repertoire of vocabulary and other such grammatical intricacies.

Yes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I usually put effort into my writing, especially if its a long/formal email/post, if it isn't either of those two I don't put so much thought into it; I would like to think I'm good at English for my age, I'm joint top of my English class and one of the best readers in the school (including teachers :P)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    my grammer r gud

I have a good grasp of English, having been a writer for the majority of my life. I tend to annoy people in real life and over instant messaging programs, because I either correct typos in real life, or take forever to type a response because I have to make sure I'm correct.

I might not be completely correct, but at least I look educated.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
  • I'm a writer.
    I use acronyms when appropriate, or when it makes something funnier.
    I have a better grasp of humor than most I see here, so I use it less often.
    I use lulz, idk, lol, wtf, and wut quite normally.
    Sue me.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • My grammar and spelling began improving when I started writing fan fiction. Three FFs later, I think I've got a good grasp on written English.

usami

biohazard
    Years
  • Well, English is my first language, so I'd hope it'd be very, very good.
    It is, at least spoken. I tend to overuse commas and apostrophes when writing, and I misspell things constantly due to me not paying much attention to what I'm typing.

I know that I constantly type "a lot" as "alot". So, if that's any indication.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I guess mine's... alright. I have a horrible "idk" and "wtf" habit, but otherwise, I type in full sentences. I do tend to type too quickly and not give myself a chance to proofread what I just typed, causing billions of nasty typos. XD; I'm a grammar freak, so bad grammar and English can get on my nerves at times.

Years
  • It's good, I'd say. It's probably a bit higher than average, since I do write on an almost daily basis. Well, except for spelling; if it weren't for spellcheck, I'd have so many misspelled words, it wouldn't be funny. I don't know every single rule of grammar, and I can make run-on sentences sometimes. >_<;; I also have a bad habit of not typing in complete sentences sometimes.

My spoken grammar can be pretty terrible, especially with those Internet fads with improper grammar. Between saying Internet-y things and not having time to think about if what I'm saying is 100% correct, I can make more mistakes than I should. >_>;; Pronunciation is okay, though. At least I don't have to spell... XD;;

Although I'd say my English is at its worst on MSN. I don't know... it, like, brings out the stupid in me or something. ._.;;

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I'd say I'm pretty good at written English; I try to have perfect spelling and grammar. :/ I try never to use shortened words like "u" or "ur," I type everything out.

Back