• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I ain't really interested in the new Pokemon shows :(

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    Yes I totally agree especially how the old episodes had good voice actors and decent audio. I just loved how when Ash tried to yell it seemed like talking in a slower motion. The old episodes were simply the best because Misty was in it.

No seriously the old episodes were a pile of $^@#, just because you saw it when you were little and now you're grown up and it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make the old episodes better. Have you actually payed attention to the old episodes, they made no sense. Not to mention Sleep Powder making it an instant win in Pokemon League. The series wasn't actually that good until Orange Islands and during then it was still mediocre.

Remember people nostalgia is the most BS reason ever for liking something.
    Not really I starded watching Pokemon in Hoenn and I saw the old episodes and were very funny, In reality your being ignorant more than he is, your stating that the old episodes suck and thats an opinion while your going of saying it as fact.
    In my opinion the new episodes don't have the charm from the old ones, like watch the new ones then the old ones and you'll see.

Last edited:

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • Not really I starded watching Pokemon in Hoenn and I saw the old episodes and were very funny, In reality your being ignorant more than he is, your stating that the old episodes suck and thats an opinion while your going of saying it as fact.
    In my opinion the new episodes don't have the charm from the old ones, like watch the new ones then the old ones and you'll see.

Agreed completely. It's a damn kids show. We can like it for whatever reason we want. Besides half of the people wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for nostalgia.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Not really I starded watching Pokemon in Hoenn and I saw the old episodes and were very funny, In reality your being ignorant more than he is, your stating that the old episodes suck and thats an opinion while your going of saying it as fact.

What is charm? Sounds like a code word for nostalgia.

Funny? You want humor? Well, Pokemon isn't a comedy, though it has the staple comedic bits or running gags like most animated shows do.

Did you ever see the Rotom episode? I found it absolutely hilarious.

Sarcasticus

Pleasure's all yours
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2011
    I believe that one of the main reasons why it went stale is character development, there isn't any anymore, why? because the show was not intended to last this long, interesting character development finished early on, from then on, ash became a mary sue, and the subsequent poke-girls became different among each other only in name, so the only remaining interesting aspect for me are the pokemon themselves, in fact, a new show with other characters or dare I say only pokemon would be a nice refreshing change, hypothetical, of course, the show makes good money, why fix what's broken but giving you tons of money?

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I believe that one of the main reasons why it went stale is character development, there isn't any anymore, why? because the show was not intended to last this long, interesting character development finished early on, from then on, ash became a mary sue, and the subsequent poke-girls became different among each other only in name, so the only remaining interesting aspect for me are the pokemon themselves, in fact, a new show with other characters or dare I say only pokemon would be a nice refreshing change, hypothetical, of course, the show makes good money, why fix what's broken but giving you tons of money?

You're right about one thing (and that's about it), the people behind the anime had no idea they'd get to make anything beyond the Kanto region. Very few television series expect to be picked up for 10+years, so the series has to change if you want to live beyond year one (see: ER, The Simpsons, Flinstones).

But character development? You do know this is an animated series based on a game where the protagonist doesn't even talk, right? Where, despite a 10 year old either walking, running, or biking across more or less an entire country, no one ages.

I question how much character development there was in the original series. Ash is shown as a very stubborn trainer up until Johto.

Ash is a mary-sue? What a shock. Of course he is. He's based off of the silent protagonist of the games. They, being the people who market the franchise, want the main character in all the media to be easily relatable. That's why you often see Ash catch Pokemon that trainers can find easily in the games. He gets anywhere between 1-3 starters, Pikachu (available in every single region, and usually fairly easy to catch), a flying/normal type that's available early on, and then there's a wild card in there too.

As to the making a new show wth new characters, the same people will still be producing the show. By your logic, the show will be at the same crossroads again in 3-5 years.

Sarcasticus

Pleasure's all yours
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2011
    You're right about one thing (and that's about it), the people behind the anime had no idea they'd get to make anything beyond the Kanto region. Very few television series expect to be picked up for 10+years, so the series has to change if you want to live beyond year one (see: ER, The Simpsons, Flinstones).

But character development? You do know this is an animated series based on a game where the protagonist doesn't even talk, right? Where, despite a 10 year old either walking, running, or biking across more or less an entire country, no one ages.

I question how much character development there was in the original series. Ash is shown as a very stubborn trainer up until Johto.

Ash is a mary-sue? What a shock. Of course he is. He's based off of the silent protagonist of the games. They, being the people who market the franchise, want the main character in all the media to be easily relatable. That's why you often see Ash catch Pokemon that trainers can find easily in the games. He gets anywhere between 1-3 starters, Pikachu (available in every single region, and usually fairly easy to catch), a flying/normal type that's available early on, and then there's a wild card in there too.

As to the making a new show wth new characters, the same people will still be producing the show. By your logic, the show will be at the same crossroads again in 3-5 years.
    Just because it's a kids' show, it doesn't mean it has to be bland and hollow, remember Sonic SatAm? that too was a relatively plotless videogame without voice (at the time) and it's a show I can still enjoy as an adult, kids aren't stupid as to not understand characters with more than one dimension, and yes, everything gets old eventually, but it would be much less stale that way

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Just because it's a kids' show, it doesn't mean it has to be bland and hollow, remember Sonic SatAm? that too was a relatively plotless videogame without voice (at the time) and it's a show I can still enjoy as an adult, kids aren't stupid as to not understand characters with more than one dimension, and yes, everything gets old eventually, but it would be much less stale that way

SatAM is not the norm for animated kids' television, especially an animated show that's part of some worldwide multi-media franchise.

Would it be nice? For some, sure. Is it remotely realistic to expect it? No.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    What is charm? Sounds like a code word for nostalgia.

Funny? You want humor? Well, Pokemon isn't a comedy, though it has the staple comedic bits or running gags like most animated shows do.

Did you ever see the Rotom episode? I found it absolutely hilarious.
    No Charm: "A particular quality that attracts; a delightful characteristic" That sounds nothing like Nostalgia "A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past." I never said it was comedy, because the old episodes weren't comedy, they had comedy mixed in there, like the Manga it has comedy too, just because something has comedy doesn't make it a comedy, and I pretty sure I already said I didn't watch the old show until later, so I can't see how I would be nostalgic for it, and yes I do watch the new episodes sometimes and In my opinion its very bland.

Last edited:

Hoohking

Warrior-Poet
    Years
  • The new episodes definitely pale in comparison to the older arcs. I watched the first few episodes on a VHS tape, and i couldn't help but wonder how the writers had managed to screw up such a good show. I guess all long-running shows begin to decay in quality after a while, just look at the new spongebob episodes *shudder*.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Sarcasticus said:
    I believe that one of the main reasons why it went stale is character development, there isn't any anymore, why?

There's more character development now then Kanto ever had. The characters remained mostly static almost all through Kanto.

because the show was not intended to last this long, interesting character development finished early on,

What character development? Ash was an idiot hero, which he still is, all through it.

from then on, ash became a mary sue,

Ash was always a gary stu. Especially in Kanto.

and the subsequent poke-girls became different among each other only in name,

Because Pokémon Contests make May & Dawn all the same.

a new show with other characters or dare I say only pokemon would be a nice refreshing change,

There's a reason why they stopped making those specials. It helped that those episodes were terrible in the first place anyway.

Sarcasticus

Pleasure's all yours
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2011
    There's more character development now then Kanto ever had. The characters remained mostly static almost all through Kanto.

The problem is that it's the same development that already happened, there's not much to work with.

What character development? Ash was an idiot hero, which he still is, all through it.

Early on he used to be...a kid, a flawed protagonist part annoying, pert relatable to, now he's just a mary sue, like a character out of a little children's book, he's learned and changed all he could a long time ago and as you said, remained static

Ash was always a gary stu. Especially in Kanto.

I agree, he's not a particularly complex character to begin with, but it got worse after that, you can see.

Because Pokémon Contests make May & Dawn all the same.

Not saying they're identical, just that there aren't enough differences between them to actually make the change an engaging difference

There's a reason why they stopped making those specials. It helped that those episodes were terrible in the first place anyway.
    True, because they were specials, short movies, an extra, so judging their potential by only those shorts wouldn't be entirely fair as compared to seeing a serious attempt at the concepts.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Sarcasticus said:
    The problem is that it's the same development that already happened, there's not much to work with.

Ash didn't develop much in Kanto. If anything, it's development from the Orange Islands and Johto that they're using again.

Early on he used to be...a kid, a flawed protagonist part annoying, pert relatable to, now he's just a mary sue, like a character out of a little children's book, he's learned and changed all he could a long time ago and as you said, remained static

He's still a hot blooded idiot hero like in Kanto. Can you name any development he had in Kanto?

I agree, he's not a particularly complex character to begin with, but it got worse after that, you can see.

Proof?

Not saying they're identical, just that there aren't enough differences between them to actually make the change an engaging difference

How so?

True, because they were specials, short movies, an extra, so judging their potential by only those shorts wouldn't be entirely fair as compared to seeing a serious attempt at the concepts.

You could argue that they were specials to see how the audiance would react not seeing Ash in the main cast since they weren't there to advertise anything.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    You could argue that they were specials to see how the audiance would react not seeing Ash in the main cast since they weren't there to advertise anything.

My understanding is Pokemon Chronicles is a dub only thing. In Japan, they aired as normal episodes.

The fact that they haven't done that again speaks volumes for how good of an idea it was. There were like, maybe three decent episodes. And they all involved people who appeared regularly in the show anyway. Misty's episode, Brock's episode, and Gary's episode.

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
    Years
  • Well, actually, I've lost connection to Cartoon Network almost a year ago on my Desk TV next to my computer. So, I must watch another TV in the house to watch Pokemon now, which I hardly do now.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Wow, is this turning into the next "Sick of Ash" thread? o.o This thread doesn't seem to die.

Years
  • i really really miss the old episodes.I spent all of winter break watching the whole indigo league and part of johto journeys.It seriously gave me the most happy feeling ever especially the theme songs and it was also better just because i hate how the outlines are darker now and also ash's voice.but mainly they went wrong with ditching misty and it was also better when Ash was learning to be a trainer rather than him being an experienced trainer

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Character development? What character development?

Ash was an idiot protagonist starting from day one.

He grew an extra brain cell in Hoenn, but then he lost it again.

That's about the extent of your "character development".

Thunderwolf1989

Ninetales fan! Ground trainer
    Years
  • Lolz@this thread..

In the old series pokémon could actually get hurt (and die possibly) from the battles and such (Remember ash's Charmander almost dying due to it's flame almost going out), nowadays, there just hurt for 2 seconds and they're completely fine afterwards..

And the old ash was still learning how to be a good trainer, which made it quite fun. Now he's just being lame..

Years
  • I think it's just the fact that all of the older fanbase is.. well.. older. xD; We're not 10 anymore, and if I had been 22 when Pokemon had originally aired, I wouldn't have shown any interest in it all, I doubt. Can't say that for certain, but I find the anime isn't as appealing to me anymore, because I'm older, and it's still being aimed at 10-year-olds. Just because we don't enjoy them as much as we used to doesn't mean the show is getting any worse, as it still appeals to a LOT of younger kids world-wide, it's just not made to please teenagers/adults.

I will admit though, that some DP episodes can still make me smile or laugh on occasion, which is nice. I just don't enjoy them as much I used to, nor do they get me as riled up anymore. However, that makes sense. :x
    pretty much all of this /agrees

Back