• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I heard Red was tough?

Chrono

\:D/
    Years
    I haven't fought him but when I do I plan not to use Legends and my normal team :P

How about you guys? Or have you fought him already, and who did you use?

Years
    well he's the strongest trainer in existance.. if your guys arent around lvl 70 dont even bother.

EDIT: better yet be at 75+ so you'll at least stand a chance. well with legends you should be mostly ok, unless you bring suicune or lugia, which will get annihalated by his godly pikachu

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    i killed him with
    feraligatr lv 71
    arcanine lv76
    charizard lv 68
    and raichu lv 69

he has strong pokes, he just plays like an idiot

for example, i have my arcanine out against his venusaur, he used sunny day, i use flare blitz, hes dead, switches to charizard, charizard used flamethrower(i think it was) arcanines flash fire boosted its fire moves, arcanine used flare blitz, charizard fainted...

Red fail

Years
    i killed him with
    feraligatr lv 71
    arcanine lv76
    charizard lv 68
    and raichu lv 69

he has strong pokes, he just plays like an idiot

for example, i have my arcanine out against his venusaur, he used sunny day, i use flare blitz, hes dead, switches to charizard, charizard used flamethrower(i think it was) arcanines flash fire boosted its fire moves, arcanine used flare blitz, charizard fainted...

Red fail

see some people said they whipped him, but i heard from others that he destroyed them. i think they try to set up something on him and it backfires

Ricky429

Turtwig lovers unite!!!
    Years
    He was the most difficult trainer in the game for me although 5 of my pokes were like 25 lvls lower than his. I used:
    Typhlosion lvl 79
    Tyranitar lvl 56
    Ampharos lvl 57
    Octillery lvl 56
    Feraligatr lvl 55
    and a Noctowl lvl 59

His Blastoise was the hardest for me taking out 4 of my pokes and i just used revives and full restores after that and won quite easily after that.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    Red is THE highest level trainer in the Pokemon Series. So he is a force to reckon with, if your not prepared. Your pokemon should be Lv 75+ just to be safe. I beat Red with my normal team in my signature. I also whipped Red with my Competitive team.

Bird Keeper

Master of the Skies
    Years
    I haven't faced him yet, but I've been told that if you're less than 75-80 level, it all comes down to skilled item use. X items (X-Speed and such), Max Revives, Sacred Ash, etc.

If you're in the 75+ range, you have a much better chance of winning force-against-force just as if it was a conventional battle.

So remember: If there's a trick, it's items!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Red is the most powerful trainer in excistence, but he can be defeated every trainer has a weakness. But just be careful, Pikachu + Red = Domination.
    Once his pikachu zoomed into play you better be ready for it. I battled him on my original Pokemon Gold GBC and he was strong! I used my Lv 70 Feraligatr and three Lv 60-70 Golducks. I know my team sounds stupid, I wasn't that much experienced. But it still got the job done didn't it. I indeed defeated him. But after that what was there left to do in the game?

Anyway, my tips for you is just train train train (GRIND) alot, and make sure your pokemon are about Lv 75 and higher!
    As for my HG team that I wish to defeat him with is this:
    I heard Red was tough?
    I heard Red was tough?
    I heard Red was tough?
    I heard Red was tough?
    I heard Red was tough?
    I heard Red was tough?

zealot

The King of Fail
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2024
    He got easier than before. In gsc there was no weather, but now there is the hail effect going on, which means that all his pokes take damage execpt lapras. You can stall him out and get rid of his pesky snorlax faster now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2010
    I actually beat him with my lvl 100 swampert xD I actually tried first, Lost(didn't have swampert) then decided to trade over mine from Pearl. Only reason why i did that, Couldn't get past that beast of a pikachu o.o

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2010
    Make sure your pokemon are lvl 70+ or else your gonna have major trouble with him.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    All his 'mons are in the 80s:
    (From Bulbapedia)

Pikachu Lv.88
    Lapras Lv.80
    Snorlax Lv.82
    Venusaur Lv.84
    Charizard Lv.84
    Blastoise Lv.84

You'd need a pretty high leveled and diverse team in order to take him on easily. I'm not up to him yet, but in Gold, I took him on with a Lv 100 Feraligatr and only just managed to win, mainly because of that damn yellow rat. :/

MASTERBOSSgodora

The Songbird of My Generation
    Years
    I used Typhlosion, Ampharos, Lugia, Mewtwo, Ho-oh, and Snorlax. His pikachu was pretty weak, I just used one earthquake from my then level 52 Snorlax.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    His Pikachu isn't all that hard to take out, I sent out a Level 55 Tyranitar which made his Pikachu useless, and Red didn't even switch him out. The team I beat him with was:
    Feraligatr Lv70
    Ampharos Lv71
    Magmortar Lv65
    Spiritomb Lv74
    Tyranitar Lv55
    Metagross Lv48

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I beat him last time on Crystal with a team all in the 50s and 40s, so since his team got beefed up about ten levels I expect the same.

Back