• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could learn one language right now, which would it be ?

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
  • Italian... the "language of love" haha.
    But learning Japanese would be freaking cool too.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    French and Japanese. I love the way both of them sound.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I would learn either Spanish or Mandarin because they're some of the most widely used languages in the world. It just sounds like a good idea.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • oooh that's a toughie. I'd say between Japanese, French and Spanish.

I already know Tagalog but after you watch so much Anime, Japanese is almost second blood to you. Only problem is, when you remove subs you stop understanding xd

French I started learning from Year 3 till Year 8 but I soon forgot when I stopped doing lessons and my mum forced me to do Chinese instead

Spanish would also be awesome to learn. Like there is some Spanish essence in Filipino and I'd love to learn it as well.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • Definitely Japanese. :P If not that, than Spanish, since, even though I know a bit, I don't think I know enough, considering where I live, there is a high concentration of Spanish speaking people. It would be more useful in real life. ^__^

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Japanese.

Well, more like "learn what I don't know of it". xD; Because I already know / understand a fair amount, so I'm not totally clueless. Aside from Japanese: Korean, Italian, or German would be my mental-war-of-a-second-choice. fffff

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    Like everyone else I'm gonna say Japanese. I'm tired of waiting for subtitles. xD

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    ^ Egyptian.....?

I'm already studying it but if I could magically know it all i'd choose Arabic. It would save me time :) However, I'm gonna cheat here and pick another answer because I am technically already learning Arabic.

If I could learn another one I would pick Mandarin or Russian. I like both languages so i'd be happy with either.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Going to be unoriginal and say Japanese myself, for basically the same reason. I can usually get the general idea of what's going on, but when it comes to long speeches and explanations I become completely clueless. It would be nice to be able to understand it all so I wouldn't be so clueless, and just in general. It's quite a pain having to wait for raws for some anime and such.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2011
    Specifically, I'd like to learn Japanese. I mean everything about Japan is interesting, so who wouldn't want to learn Japanese?

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Japanese, because everyone in my family can speak fluent Japanese except for me D: And sometimes I don't understand what they say which suckkkkss D:

Last edited:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Why am I not surprised that most of PC would learn Japanese. ~_~

Anyway, for me it'd be French probably. Mainly because my sister lives in France and it'd be pretty cool to be able to go stay with her sometimes and not rely on her to do all the talking, lol. I did try learning it in school and it just didn't work for me, so learning it instantly would be the only way to go.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • When I first saw this thread it actually didn't occur to me that being a Pokemon forum, most people would choose to speak Japanese lol. I'm actually not a huge fan of Asian languages, they're difficult to learn and there's a whole new alphabet and writing system that I think would just absolutely overwhelm me.

The one language I'd love to learn is Latin. I know it's a dead language and there's no practical use to learning it, but I think it's a beautiful and badass language. Also, when I watch supernatural films and TV shows and the characters are using Latin incantations to cast a spell or invoke some great ancient magic, I just think it sounds amazing and I'd love to be able to do that.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Japanese, mhmm. Well, I've been trying to teach myself for quite a while now so.. umm yeahhh. I share pretty much the same obvious and media-influenced reasons.

The thread asks for only one, but I'm going to have to say Spanish too. No real practical reason here; more for the fun of studying and learning it, I suppose.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Japanese and Spanish, I do think that these two languages are the most interesting among all of them. We're currently studying Chinese, and I really don't get them, so I figured out that I would have a hard time learning the language of Japan too. D: /unlucky

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Japanese.
    Obvious choice, I know.

I just have a lot of uses for it, since I deal with the language so much, and I'm just interested in a lot of things from that country.
    No, weaboo is not the word for me. Just liking a place and many things in it doesn't mean one has to gain such weird titles.

Beaute

。◕‿◕。
    Years
  • French, because it's a beautiful language. There isn't really much of a reason in my case, except that I find French very fascinating

Back