• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen I'm nervous about these games

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
  • I blazed through X like it was nothing, so I agree, hopefully Omega Ruby is much more challenging. I don't want it to be insane makes me wanna bash my head in tough, but I would like a little bit of a challenge. I remember Emerald being a bit hard on me but it wasn't so insane that I wanted to quit, I'd like it to be about that difficulty.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • If you think about it all main games (R/B/G/S/R/S/D/P/B/W and now X/Y) have lacked in post game and in difficulty. The only exception is the Fifth Generation games but that was because they tried to relaunch the whole franchise and you had to use Pokémon only from regional Pokédex (most of that generation's Pokémon were garbage). In X/Y the issue was that there were too much option on what to have in your team. Overall it has always been the remakes and third installments that have had the most do, explore and had given us a good challenge. In B2/W2 they even gave us option to change whether we want to play trough easier or harder.

I think that if ORAS doesn't give us any difficulty considering all the changes they've included into it then the third installment for X/Y surely will give some. :)

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I also thought X and Y were easy, but I did use the exp share. I really hope ORAS has some difficulty. For ORAS I'm planning on turning off the exp share, and adding some more challenges without limiting myself. Such as: A fainted poke is dead, you can catch one of each type of pokemon, you must nickname, no repels, no skates (if they have them), no revives, and no more than 5 potions at a time.

If the game isn't hard, I'm really hoping for a LONG game that will last a while.

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I came to terms long ago with the fact that if you want Pokemon games to be hard, you need to set limits yourself. If you want it to be difficult, then do a Nuzlocke or something similar. Pokemon is a game for all ages, and because of that it can never be TOO difficult, or it'll put off the younger players.

I think something people need to remember as well is that you get better at games the older you get. The earlier generations might have been more challenging for you, but you were probably a lot younger when you played them, and weren't as familiar with how Pokemon games worked. I remember Blue as being murderously difficult the first time I played it - I got stuck at Misty, then at Erika, then at Sabrina, and the Elite Four walked all over me until I got my hands on Articuno, which took me an age to catch - but when I revisited the game a few years later, I found it to be very easy indeed; I knew where I was going, what I needed to do to get ahead, and that was that. The game hadn't changed one bit, but I had. Saying Pokemon has been getting easier is looking at things through clouded eyes, in my opinion - are they getting easier, or are you just getting better? I'd say it's a case of the latter more than the former.

I can't see the "Challenge" mode from B2/W2 returning - and if it does, I can't see it being actually challenging - so I guess really if you want it to be hard, make it hard, because Nintendo definitely won't. But I don't see the problem with that - even if you're the kind of player who likes a bit of challenge, it is possible to have fun on an easy game. Just play the game your own way and enjoy yourself~

I agree with this point.
    Pokemon hasn't gotten easier we've got better at playing it.
    I started R/B/Y as a 6 year old, and man they were fun, but they were a challenge. It took me ages to work out type advantages, and why couldn't I tackle a Gastly? Now, thats second nature, I see a pokemon and I know, I want to use this to kill it, or that to weaken it for capture. So of course gameplay seems simpler, because I'm not wasting 10pp trying to use attacks that simply won't work against my opponent, no matter how many times I try.

Though I somewhat disagree with Pokemon X and Y being a cakewalk. I changed my play style very quickly, going from training and catching everything insight, to beating 5 gyms in a day, because my friend wanted me to hurry up and finish. I when I decided to skip as much battling as possible just to reach the end, due to EXP. Share splitting up the little EXP I was getting, I was severely underlevelled for the 8th gym and the Elite 4. Beat the 8th gym purely due to my strongest pokemon happening to be a charizard, but the Elite 4 water trainer wiped the floor with my pokemon, because I was so many levels below her

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Unfortunately, I'm pretty certain OR/AS will be just as easy as X and Y. The reason X and Y are so much easier (as far as I can tell) is because of the new exp. gain formula. It used to be the exp. you get from battling a Pokemon was divided evenly between each Pokemon that was sent out to battle it. Now every Pokemon that battles gets the full exp. yield. Unless they changed the formula in OR/AS, or they have a difficulty setting like in BW2, they'll be just as non-challenging as X and Y, I'm afraid :/

Years
  • I already know that it's going to be somewhat easy like X & Y. I just hope that I don't steamroll gyms and bosses. I don't want it beyond difficult, but I do want a bit of a challenge when fighting important trainers.

I also don't think that it was so much my experience either. Granted I've been playing Pokemon games since Crystal, but it has always taken me a few weeks to a few months to beat a Pokemon game(and there is the rare case where I never beat one such as Diamond). Where as in X & Y it took me 1 day to beat both of them (1 day each not together). So I call BS on the experience point.
    Like I said, I'm not expecting to be challenged to the point to where I can't beat the game, but I don't want to feel like I just absolutely slaughtered everybody.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty certain OR/AS will be just as easy as X and Y. The reason X and Y are so much easier (as far as I can tell) is because of the new exp. gain formula. It used to be the exp. you get from battling a Pokemon was divided evenly between each Pokemon that was sent out to battle it. Now every Pokemon that battles gets the full exp. yield. Unless they changed the formula in OR/AS, or they have a difficulty setting like in BW2, they'll be just as non-challenging as X and Y, I'm afraid :/

You can make it challenging by placing limits on yourself. Disable the Exp Share, avoid all optional trainer fights, and never fight wild pokemon for experience.

While I'm never that systematic about it (I fight some optional trainers, occasionally use the Exp Share), that's essentially how I play anyway. I remember, in Emerald, I got to the Elite Four while my entire team was still in the low 30s - my starter, who was on my team the entire game, wasn't even fully evolved.

Now that the experience isn't split, they'd probably have been a few levels higher, but they'd still be significantly below the E4's Pokemon.

You can always make a game harder by introducing handicaps.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2015
    As everyone said, I must insist on disabling the exp share.
    Also, you should try and make a full 6 Pokemon team (or even more, switch between a pool of 10-15). We've all done Pokémon Red with only Charizard and experienced how easy it is :D and same goes with all the other versions.
    Actually I like to make sure my Pokemons are under leveled compared to the trainers around, so that the Gym battles get very serious.
    Don't let any of your Pokemon get too far above the other ones, and you'll be fine. And don't farm experience in the grass!

Back