• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IMPORTANT: Name Change Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • I have a question.

What if we forgot our username and it's hard to remember if we got a new one?
    Is that an exception?(Not saying i'll forget mine)
    Um... if you forget your username (and can't retrieve it via email), you'll have to reregister just like you would now. o_O; If you don't think you'll be able to remember your name, don't change to it. I don't see how this is an issue...

Years
  • I would like my name changed to Stuart442?

just kidding, I read the first post >_> Not really going to change my name though, I like this name <3 and my signature 444 thing (I use 444 alot for some reason when doing usernames O.o )

Anyway I didn't know about the name changes feature tbh, I usually just lurk here and don't post much and never even noticed that people could request a name change. If I noticed it, I probably would have figured out thats why the database explodes alot (Imagine something with 1000+ or 2000+ posts, and the UPDATE command updating all those posts with a new name... tis deadly for the database)

Hope the place will crash less though, I have noticed it once or twice since I've been here.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • It's doesn't need it, if you sign up, you should pick a name that your happy with in the begining, sorry, I had to change my name once, I should have thought more abot it!! :)

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    Pardon me, if this has already been answered, if so then please link me to the post.
    But, all of these name changes that you're going process; one after the other, won't this cause PC to crash for sometime?

Cherrim

Years
  • Pardon me, if this has already been answered, if so then please link me to the post.
    But, all of these name changes that you're going process; one after the other, won't this cause PC to crash for sometime?
    Yeah, probably. When we decide when we'll be doing this, we'll probably give a heads up and turn the boards off for a bit to help alleviate it somewhat.

The more names we have to change, the more common the downtimes will be, though.

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    Yeah, probably. When we decide when we'll be doing this, we'll probably give a heads up and turn the boards of for a bit to help alleviate it somewhat.

The more names we have to change, the more common the downtimes will be, though.

I had a feeling that PC would be down for sometime....
    Well thanks; that's all I need to know.

A little suggestion before I go; don't you think that it would be much easier for you to just shut down PC completely while you work on those name changes, rather than leave it open and have it slowing down every other moment?

Cherrim

Years

• I had a feeling that PC would be down for sometime....
    Well thanks; that's all I need to know.

A little suggestion before I go; don't you think that it would be much easier for you to just shut down PC completely while you work on those name changes, rather than leave it open and have it slowing down every other moment?
    I don't really understand the question. Yes, we'll probably turn the boards off whenever we do changes. But if we pulled PC down entirely... we wouldn't have a board to make changes to. o_O

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    I don't really understand the question. Yes, we'll probably turn the boards off whenever we do changes. But if we pulled PC down entirely... we wouldn't have a board to make changes to. o_O

I meant switch it off for everyone but the staff. ._.
    And I just got my answer.
    Thanks. ;D

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I am very sad about this. Name Changes seemed to be a major part of the forum. But, as many have said before me, if they have to go they have to go. I just hope PC prospers in the absence of the Name Changes.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • I'm all for this change. Name changes have never been much in my interest seeing how I've only had one major username change in the years it's been allowed. One of the reasons I leave PC on a lot of occasions is because people are unfamiliarising themselves all the time and it became unbearable.

Cherrim

Years

• I know; but how can you speak of 'downtime' and turning the boards of at the same time. @_@
    Because I fully expect both. D:

We'll probably be turning the boards off when we do this, but that doesn't protect us from PC slowing to an absolute halt or giving us database errors (thus "downtime") even with the boards turned off for regular users. :| It'll probably be and intermittent "sorry, can't view the boards!" message and... the inability to load said message. XD;

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • actually we'll put up a maintenance page that should display even if the server is hammered/database is overloaded.

Can't say much for the other mysql users on this box, including PC's Oekaki.. they'll experience some outages as well.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Just a suggestion...
    Maybe you could allow users to get their name changed on their birthday only.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Just a suggestion...

PC has tons of birthdays everyday,
    Imagine 100 or something people requesting their sooper special birthday name everyday,
    Plussome people have more than one account. what if i decided to request a sooper special birthday name change for all of my alts

and all it takes is one name change to crash PC, so yeah :|

Cherrim

Years
  • Just a suggestion...
    Read through the thread; several times we've explained that even just one change has the potential to mess things up. :( Whether we do a bunch of changes everyday or one every few months, the risk is still there and we aren't gonna take it.

That and it's pretty easy to change your birthday all the time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back