• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

iPad, the most over-rated thing since...

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    HeartGold/SoulSilver xD I made an iJoke. Anyway, seriously, Netbooks are better than this thing but because it has a bitten Apple stuck on it, it's suddenly "ground-breaking" which is false has it'll probably break on the ground, Apple products tend to be flimsy, a friend dropped his iPhone on his carpet, soft carpet, and the screen cracked?! Exactly.

Anyway, do you agree or disagree with me, and why. I thought Nintendo were money moocher, if you could make a DS Lite in the first place, why make a DS. But they've definitely met their match in Apple who have already announced plans for a Second Generation iPad. I feel sorry for those who are getting it now :(

Zet

Years
    Nintendo.... money moochers? That's a bit hard to believe since all their consoles and hand held systems are sold at a reasonable price. And the iPad is the most over-rated thing since banana bread.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    HeartGold/SoulSilver xD I made an iJoke. Anyway, seriously, Netbooks are better than this thing but because it has a bitten Apple stuck on it, it's suddenly "ground-breaking" which is false has it'll probably break on the ground, Apple products tend to be flimsy, a friend dropped his iPhone on his carpet, soft carpet, and the screen cracked?! Exactly.
    I just had to reply to this comment here. I've dropped my iPhone on more hard surfaces than I can count. On a hardwood floor, on tile, on the ground, on cement, on rocks, and on marble. It's fallen from a tree, from a table, from my pocket, and even from my window. I've yet to have my screen crack, let alone scratches... on the front, at least. The back of my lovely phone has one scratch next to the Apple logo that, given it's hard to notice, looks as though the white finishing was scratched off. But I'd hardly call Apple products "flimsy" given my experience. I sense prejudice.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    ITT: OP angsts because his Mummy won't buy him an iPad. Jealous much?
    I was when it was first unveiled but when I saw the specs, I was disappointed.
    I just had to reply to this comment here. I've dropped my iPhone on more hard surfaces than I can count. On a hardwood floor, on tile, on the ground, on cement, on rocks, and on marble. It's fallen from a tree, from a table, from my pocket, and even from my window. I've yet to have my screen crack, let alone scratches... on the front, at least. The back of my lovely phone has one scratch next to the Apple logo that, given it's hard to notice, looks as though the white finishing was scratched off. But I'd hardly call Apple products "flimsy" given my experience. I sense prejudice.
    Sorry about prejudice *is ashamed*

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Apple products aren't flimsy. I've dropped several iPods so many times and nothing cracked. Scratched to hell, yeah, but screen's all good.

Doesn't matter if it's over-rated. Doesn't matter if you don't like. That's not the goal. Apple is a company. And the point of anything they do is to make products that will sell. Like all Apple products, its marketed well, and well-suited to the elderly and computer-illiterate.

Personally, I don't think it's anything groundbreaking. Just an oversized iPod Touch. I don't have an iPod Touch or iPhone. If the iPad was cheaper, I'd pick it up instead of those two. I like the size.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years

ITT: Everybody look, the "internet bad ass" is here. Heads up, you aren't in 4chan anymore, so try not to embarrass yourself too much!

From the looks of it, iPads just going to hold a couple of stupid phone games that people will play for an hour and a half and then never touch it again. Past the games, I don't really see what much else it can do. I love the fact that Shigeru Miyamoto even got his hands on the iPad and chuckled in disgrace at it, according to an article on IGN.

The only good thing about apple these days seems to be their Macbooks.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years

Hooray for unfounded judgements!

Personally, I'm pretty unimpressed by the iPad, and it annoys me that it's being called some massive gaming innovation because it has a touch screen and an accelerometer. Because neither of those have ever been used before. Also, it has a 1GHz processor. ONE. My five year old laptop has a 2.4GHZ and that has a physical keyboard, a graphics card and it still only weighs about 3lb - more than the iPad, but with a lot more for that weight. Ofcourse, comparing it to a laptop is pretty redundant, when it's really more of a cross between an netbook and an iTouch. But let's face it, there are better netbooks and a iTouch is much better at being an iTouch, seeing as you can keep it in your pocket. Think what it would be ike trying to listen to music on your iPad in a crowded tube train.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    ITT: Everybody look, the "internet bad ass" is here. Heads up, you aren't in 4chan anymore, so try not to embarrass yourself too much!

From the looks of it, iPads just going to hold a couple of stupid phone games that people will play for an hour and a half and then never touch it again. Past the games, I don't really see what much else it can do. I love the fact that Shigeru Miyamoto even got his hands on the iPad and chuckled in disgrace at it, according to an article on IGN.

Oh, you must be new here ♥
    Hooray for unfounded judgements!

Personally, I'm pretty unimpressed by the iPad, and it annoys me that it's being called some massive gaming innovation because it has a touch screen and an accelerometer. Because neither of those have ever been used before. Also, it has a 1GHz processor. ONE. My five year old laptop has a 2.4GHZ and that has a physical keyboard, a graphics card and it still only weighs about 3lb - more than the iPad, but with a lot more for that weight. Ofcourse, comparing it to a laptop is pretty redundant, when it's really more of a cross between an netbook and an iTouch. But let's face it, there are better netbooks and a iTouch is much better at being an iTouch, seeing as you can keep it in your pocket. Think what it would be ike trying to listen to music on your iPad in a crowded tube train.
    Please don't tell me you honestly believe that comparing clock-speed between totally dissimilar architectures makes ANY sense at all, do you? I think you've missed the point entirely.

Years
    Hence why I said "Of course, comparing it to a laptop is pretty redundant". Please try to read my post before responding to it.

There's also the point I brought up that the 'innovations' have been done before (which you ignored) and the point I made that actually using it for music would be really annoying anywhere busy (which you ignored).

Then there's the point I still haven't mentioned which is that the iPad can't run flash, which cuts out quite a large portion of the internet.

Then there's the fact that it can't run more than one app at a time. I was once told tat it would be great for schoolwork, as you can have your Books and word processor on one handy machine which is lighter than a laptop. Seems great, except that every time you want to check what the book says, or look up a quote, you'd have to save your work, quit the word processor app, open up the books app, find your quote, close it down, open up your work again and finally put the quote in. Isn't that a little....unintuitive?

There's also the fact that a LOT of people are going to buy the iPad for no reason other than to show and look cool in front of their friends.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Oh, you must be new here ♥

Please don't tell me you honestly believe that comparing clock-speed between totally dissimilar architectures makes ANY sense at all, do you? I think you've missed the point entirely.
    Also, the fact that Steve Jobs kept calling the iPad a Netbook killer in the Keynote shows that he thinks that they are similar architectures when they really aren't. However, I still don't agree with the OP. Yes, the iPad might be a little overpriced but the fact is that you're getting an iPod with a bigger screen which some people might want. It also proves incredibly useful as an eBook reader.

Also, Apple products are extremely well made and are not known to break - so speak for yourself when you say they aren't.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Flimsy? xD
    My friends iPod Nano got run over by a car, still works fine.

Probably is overrated, but the only thing that bugs me is that the one with 3G network connection is that much more expensive than the one without it.

Cammy

Mission complete!
    Years
    I actually think the iPad looks rather interesting.
    Also, Apple products do not tend to be flimsy. I think your friend was just unlucky.

Zet

Years

ITT: "4chan isn't the only chan site that uses ITT" discuss!

Wake me up when Apple releases something that can multi-task on a portable device that isn't a macbook.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Hence why I said "Of course, comparing it to a laptop is pretty redundant". Please try to read my post before responding to it.

There's also the point I brought up that the 'innovations' have been done before (which you ignored) and the point I made that actually using it for music would be really annoying anywhere busy (which you ignored).

Then there's the point I still haven't mentioned which is that the iPad can't run flash, which cuts out quite a large portion of the internet.

Then there's the fact that it can't run more than one app at a time. I was once told tat it would be great for schoolwork, as you can have your Books and word processor on one handy machine which is lighter than a laptop. Seems great, except that every time you want to check what the book says, or look up a quote, you'd have to save your work, quit the word processor app, open up the books app, find your quote, close it down, open up your work again and finally put the quote in. Isn't that a little....unintuitive?

There's also the fact that a LOT of people are going to buy the iPad for no reason other than to show and look cool in front of their friends.
    I see no reason to waste any more time on your post than is required to pwn you. Flash is dead, btw.

Years
    I don't think making a point about my argument that I've already acknowledged counts as "pwning". Like I said, it only shows that you didn't actually read what I wrote.

And flash is dead? Miniclip would like to have a word with you. Y'know, the site that gets 50 million unique visitors a month.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Youtube; you know the site that gets 100 million hits per day, is abandoning flash.
    Dead format is dead.

btw, Miniclips traffic comes mostly from RuneScape which is java, not flash.

Years
    Actually, if you look at the top ten most played games on Miniclip, Runescape isn't even on there. Top is Club Penguin, a Flash-based MMOG. In fact, all of the top ten are flash-based games. And what about Nitrome? More than 100,000 hits a day for nothing but Flash-based games. Look, I'm not saying that Flash is everywhere and it's going to be around for ever. But saying that it's dead is pretty extreme.

Also, just as a question, what exactly is the iPad for? The processor means it's never going to be a truly great gaming machine. There are much better netbooks for web browsing and word processing. And the iTouch is clearly better for music, seeing as how you can actually keep it in your pocket. So, I repeat, what is the point of the iPad?

Years
    Flash isn't gonna go away for at least a year, if not longer... the compatibility levels of Microsoft's browsers is what will slow it's removal, since most people will be slow to jump to 9, because they will probably hate it by the "They changed it, now it sucks!" logic people have (which is what happened with IE7 and IE8). And then there are applications that small businesses use that run on Flash that they may have just purchased in the last year.

Back