• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

iPad, the most over-rated thing since...

Years
    See, Yusshin, the only problem with your argument is that Apple offers those products all at once, to cater to different markets. Nintendo, on the other hand, releases the new versions and discontinues old ones in order to keep interest in the DS and to keep it current until the next generation. The DSi XL was mainly to cater for the older audience in Japan, and Nintendo thought it might be profitable in other markets (which it has proven to be successful, considering it outsold the PSP and the PSP Go combined in March in North America).

But back on topic. I played with the iPad. It's not too great, to be honest. It is, in all essence, a big iPod touch. Although I will admit the screen is beautiful and displays colors accurately, and videos do play smoother than on its cousin. But I can see where some people would want it. To me, it's overrated, but to the target market, it won't be.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    i am enjoying this thread's banter so much and i don't know why. but, i think now is the time for me to join in some.

most of Apple's products are virtual vaporware. they announce this great new product (in this case, iPods) in September, that everybody wants, and then gets it for Christmas, birthday, etc. then by December its almost a third of the way to the next September already. now the other people who didnt get a new one have saved up all their money and buy it in May-July. oopsies. its only 2 months til September! then they announce an even greater iPod and everyone who got the thing from last year are grumbling. so, you only have something recent for a short amount of time, and then it's obsolete. which, isn't nice.

oh, and i know that this is totally unrelated to the iPad, but, finding iTunes customer support is terrible. but when you finally find it, the actual service is wonderful. by the way, if anyone needs the email for iTunes Coustomer Support, it is [email protected]

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    So much Mac hate :( I know there's the whole "it's trendy to have a MacBook" thing, but the generalization gets really tiring. I grew up on a Mac, it was the first computer I learned how to use and it's the OS that I'm most comfortable with. I also found that I went through PCs, especially laptops, like water. I've had my MacBook for over two years and the only problem I've had was losing my A key.

That's not to say I don't like PCs. I do, I think they surpass Mac in certain aspects, but they aren't typically ones that are my primary concern. If I want to build a desktop computer for gaming, I'd be dumb to choose a Mac over a PC. If I need a computer to use for school and art, I'd take a Mac.
    It just sucks being criticized or having people think you're trying to be "cool" by something as superficial as what computer you use. Unless you're taking their money to fund for whatever you buy, it really shouldn't matter.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    shookie, i absolutely agree with you. i grew up with windows, and i was introduced to linux at the age of 7. then i became an instant microsoft hater. of course, that's what happens when you start using linux at 7. a while back i bought an old iMac g3 for a hundred bucks, and i adjusted almost instantly to it. i'm guessing that not everyone has that kind of adaptation, but still, it doesnt mean that you can just hate macintoshes because you're not used to it. if you eat a sandwich you've never had before, don't rant and rave about it being something that you're not used to. you've never had it before, for goodness sake. macs are aimed at a certain demographic, and pcs are meant for everyone, so it sort of makes sense if windows seems great to everybody, and macs seem terrible to everyone who isn't in that demographic which macs are meant for, but wonderful to those in that demographic.

so, no need to scream about a product that isn't meant for you. if you want to scream anyway, head to your closest Apple Store to scream at one of the Geniuses there. they listen to everything.

Years
    I would be able to tolerate Apple products if they weren't so particular in their license agreement about what hardware their OS can be used on, then charging a king's ransom for those systems.

I wouldn't complain if I were given one of their things as a gift.

xJordan360

plurfection.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2014
    Apple is a machine of fail. Build a significantly flawed product, give it a pretty shell, fix the flaws in the 2.0 version, leave room for improvement, forget that product, make something new. Repeat until no more money is wanted, or until all money is Apple's.

Honestly, the iPad looks pretty sucky to me. the HP Slate and WePad look much more promising with much better specs than Apple's version.

EDIT: As a side note, I don't have a big problem with Macintosh computers and Macbooks, besides being overpriced for the pretty shell. I actually prefer them for media editing.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    xjordan, you apparently didn't read any part of my last post. DON'T RANT AND RAVE ABOUT A PRODUCT NOT MEANT FOR YOU. no one wants to hear it.

xJordan360

plurfection.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2014
    xjordan, you apparently didn't read any part of my last post. DON'T RANT AND RAVE ABOUT A PRODUCT NOT MEANT FOR YOU. no one wants to hear it.

Sorry if I don't feel the need to obey your every desire. >.<

Regardless, you must not have read my post at all.
    I wasn't ranting and raving about the product, I was ranting and raving about the way Apple markets things.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    I'm sure all of you have seen those funny demotivational posters that people make online. I saw one a while back with a picture of the iPad and it's text said "iPad - The reason America is fat." I loved it.

Personally, I'm probably just too smart to get tricked into buying one. "Oh but it's not a laptop!" I'm aware, and it can't do everything a laptop does whilst retaining a similar size. No thanks, I'll keep my DROID for my handheld and my laptop for mobile computing.

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
    Years
    @salemgreen you're an android user? i love android.

@xjordan i see no difference between the two. i would if you were talking about the way microsoft markets windows 7 (ewww...), but i see no difference in this case.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2010
    the ipad may not seem that fantastic now, but it's a first edition. I'm gonna wait a few revisions to buy one. what's so cool about it is that it ushers in the era of internet-everywhere on a powerful computing device

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    The iPad will be useful for people who don't have these two things: a laptop and iPod Touch. If you have these, then the iPad isn't for you. For the price of a iPad 16GB with Wi-Fi and 3G you could get a laptop with that. And a laptop does more stuff. I don't know maybe Apple will do something when the newer generations for the iPad comes out. As for right now to me it is a waste of money.

Zet

Years
    The iPad will be useful for people who don't have these two things: a laptop and iPod Touch. If you have these, then the iPad isn't for you. For the price of a iPad 16GB with Wi-Fi and 3G you could get a laptop with that. And a laptop does more stuff. I don't know maybe Apple will do something when the newer generations for the iPad comes out. As for right now to me it is a waste of money.

Just get a netbook, they're cheaper and they can multitask better. And if I recall correctly, it's already been confirmed that there is already a new iPad coming out next year or the year after.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Zet said:
    Just get a netbook, they're cheaper and they can multitask better. And if I recall correctly, it's already been confirmed that there is already a new iPad coming out next year or the year after.

Heh, a newer generation coming next year or the year after. I am not surprised. I knew that was going to happen. XD And you are right about that. I might end up getting a netbook. They are better anyway. I will look into netbooks. I was thinking about getting a laptop, but since you mentioned netbooks...I will check them out. :3

Zet

Years
    oh wait, I think I meant notebooks :x but yeah Apple just releases better stuff the very next year just to piss off people and make them throw more money away.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    I don't even get what the iPad is. It can't be a computer because it doesn't have simple computer capabilities (multitasking, etc), it's not a phone because it doesn't make calls, and it's not an iPod because you can't fit it in 10 of your pockets all strung together.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    oh wait, I think I meant notebooks :x but yeah Apple just releases better stuff the very next year just to piss off people and make them throw more money away.
    Yeah I wish they didn't do that. I wish they could have just update the older models like Microsoft with their Zune, but they want money so they do whatever they can. I will look into notebooks to see if that is what I want instead of a laptop. :3

But yeah iPad is a waste of time and money...I will never get one. All Apple wanted to do is beat out Amazon's Kindle with their e-books. :/

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years
    I don't even get what the iPad is. It can't be a computer because it doesn't have simple computer capabilities (multitasking, etc), it's not a phone because it doesn't make calls, and it's not an iPod because you can't fit it in 10 of your pockets all strung together.

It's a tablet, which is basically a compromise between the stuff you mentioned. It actually does have considerable multi task abilities. It's kind of like a flat computer that is worked with applications for really easy access.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    So, I repeat, what is the point of the iPad?

Money, I'm pretty sure. I don't even understand what the iPad is exactly...

It's a tablet, which is basically a compromise between the stuff you mentioned. It actually does have considerable multi task abilities. It's kind of like a flat computer that is worked with applications for really easy access.

Tablet...I think of that touch-screen-and-stylus-thingabobber I've seen teachers with at school. *shrugs* Companies and their products...

I personally prefer the iTampon.

Silly, silly Apple and trying to dominate the market when they already do...

LOL.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    A fair comparison of the iPad and its primary competition.
    Spoiler:

As you can see, the iPad fails at beating the competition.

But seriously, HP did this years ago and nobody paid attention because it was HP (I'm not talking about the HP Slate they're coming out with, though it was very similar to that). Apple just steals other peoples' ideas and claims to "innovate." Better marketing isn't really innovation.

Not that this is even that great of an idea in the first place. If I want a tablet PC, I'll get a tablet PC; if I want a netbook, I'll get a netbook; if I want an iPhone, I'll get a Nexus One.

Sir you are completely correct.

They've released a useless hand-held that's too big to be a hand-held and propaganda'd it into fame. They've made enemies of Microsoft, Google, and Adobe. They've deliberately crippled their mobile devices over their egos by making enemies with the flash format provider Adobe...

Am I the only one that finds it disgusting their egos haven't changed even after they had to get bailed out by the guy their fans portray as Satan? (See: Bill Gates)

I see Apple losing it's monopoly in the phone market very soon unless they do a 180 on their current idiocy. Android 2.2 will officially have a major advantage over the iPhone, Flash. (If you don't want it, you can probably disable it.) Windows Seven Phone is around the corner.

I can't help but wonder. Does Apple have any idea the hole they're digging for themselves? It makes absolutely no sense what they're doing. And I'd rather see them do something right, frankly.

Back