• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Ash Smart?

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I don't find him stupid at all. He seems like an average, yet competent, trainer to me. Sure in the very beginning he was "stupid", but that's only because he was a beginner. He learned as he went along. Seems in the later episodes, he does use tact to fight.

As for his always using that Pokedex of his, I find that's mostly for the kids' sake. You know, like if he uses it on a Pokemon that's been seen before in an earlier episode.

As for TR, I do agree, he should know 'em by now, but, it's an on-running gag and would ruin the dynamic for the kiddy viewers if he and his traveling companions recognized them right off.

Yoshiko75

Shadow of the Night
    Years
  • Ash used to be really stupid at the beginning of the series. I loved how his PokéDex even called him stupid in the first episode. However, he currently is a slightly above-average trainer in my opinion. Ash has the ability to think fast during battles, and that gives him a decent advantage over others.

QueenZ

Your Friendly Linux Support
    Years
  • I think he is very smart... I think it's good that he doesn't catch all the pokemons he sees but makes some experience too :)

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I have to agree. The last 4 Seasons, Ash should know Team Rockts disquises! It was funny when he was dumb the first 3 seasons. Now, he is on purpose, or want attention. On battles, it seem luck...

He should really have known it was them after about the first half of the first season.

But Brock doesn't recognise them either. He's dumb too? Its just something they do to make the story..."exciting"...

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I was going to say none of the twerps are that smart when it comes to TR, but the edit button wouldn't load

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
  • thats a tough question to answer because its yes and no. ash over all is not too smart but if you look at how he has matured over the course of the show you see he has come a long way. so i would say for ash he is doing ok but over all.......forest gump anyone ?

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Ash is probaly only combat smart, after all who releases half of their pokemon

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I think he's completely and retardedly moronic, but he's a television character. If he saw through every one of Team Rocket's disguises like we do or knew everything we know about Pokemon, then the anime would really suck *coughworsethanitalreadydoescough*...

And, the legends thing is just as retarded as Ash himself. Of course he doesn't go around capturing legends! They all have important roles! If he caught Lugia then the birds would be fighting forever. If he caught Celebi and Suicune their forest and place in nature would be unbalanced. If he caught the Latis Altomare would be screwed. If he caught Mew the Tree of Beginning would have died. The list goes on. He's at the very least smart enough to understand that.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    No, Ash is the total opposite of smart. If Ash got a "Pokemon Strategy Average" he'd get like an eight. I don't mean to be mean and rude, I just think Ash is dumb.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Ash is probaly only combat smart, after all who releases half of their pokemon

3 Pokemon = half? I knew Ash didn't have many Pokemon, but seriously.

No, Ash is the total opposite of smart. If Ash got a "Pokemon Strategy Average" he'd get like an eight. I don't mean to be mean and rude, I just think Ash is dumb.

Well, he did fail that test in The Ultimate Test with Team Rocket XD

Ash is stupid. He throws his Pokemon into unnecessary situations, making Ash seem even dumber

? Like what?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Oh yeah, like forgetting Normal doesn't effect Ghost haha

Back