• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Is it just me, or did everyone used to name their character "ASH"?

Years
  • I don't see it happening as often anymore, but particularly in the older games, Yellow most of all, it seems like at least one out of every three kids I talked to named their character "ASH". Has anyone ever noticed this?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I named Touko Ash

This is pretty much common sense. I mean, main character of the show, was actually the inspiration for Yellow, etc, etc. I would be surprised if people didn't name themselves Ash.

MotherPunker970

Volcano Bakemeat FTW!
    Years
  • LOL i did actually name him ash in rbgyfrlg games,untill i found about manga...i never played gbc so i never knew about RED,i only played the remakes,but untill then i already knew all about red and read the manga completely...

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    I only named him ASH in Yellow. Every other time it's either Will or cbd98.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    When the games first came out i would name him ash but when ruby and sapphire came out both genders had names already. Then they continued to give them names. Then went through phases of what i named my people.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I named myself Ash in Yellow... but that was just for my first play-through in the game, when I was all hyped up for gaming and the anime.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • When I played Yellow I named him Ash, as for Red/FireRed I named the character Red, In Gold version however I named him Gold.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • In my Yellow version I indeed gave the heroe name to my character, when I was younger totally crazy about the anime. But I've restarted it and called the protagonist "Théo" (don't really know why, I hadn't any ideas of how to call him so I chose the first name that crossed my mind), then I've restarted it again and called him "Red". And I think that I gonna restart my game again soon, I wonder what will be the name I'll give him...

Years
  • I only did that maybe once or twice - never really liked the name a lot
    Is it just me, or did everyone used to name their character "ASH"?

*Latias

It's so cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    No one among people I know did. It was common to name the character Red.

The funny thing was when females named the character (who was a boy) with female names. xD

MMundy777

Aspiring Gym Leader
    Years
  • I never used ASH...and it personally always bothered me (glad it's fixed now) that everyone's names WAS IN CAPS. I always used my real name with proper casing lol

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    When I first started playing Red, I called him AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. After I accidentally deleted the save, I named him to my name (whichyouhavetofindoutyourself).

Back