• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Is it just me, or did everyone used to name their character "ASH"?

Raven-NAR-32450

The Great and Powerful RAVEN
    Years
    i used to name all of my characters "ash" then crystal came out and i actually started using imagination with my names, but i honestly can't remember them all.

DexHolderBlue

The Sneaky Thief
    Years
    I've actually never seen anyone do that. It never even occured to me to name the player character after one of the anime characters, surprisingly. I usually name them after real people I like/hate(rivals). xD

Dale

Captain Ressentiment
    Years
    I just name all of my characters 'Dale', but my friend used to name his 'Ash', so now I have a lvl 83 Alakazam with an OT: ASH.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2016
    I used to do that in RBY, but then i started naming them the generic names, like Brendan, May, Lucas.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2021
    Not that I can remember. I usually named my character after the main character of whatever anime/other game I really liked at the time I was playing it. (More than one occasion, my main character was named Sora. XD)

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    That's one of my biggest pet peeves with pokémon fans - the names they give. YOU are playing the game, that's the point. One of the biggest things in pokémon is that you can build whatever team you like and you raise them. Naming yourself "Ash" or "Red" is like naming your starter (whatever it is) "Pikachu". It's dumb.
    Ever since I've started playing pokémon I named myself either my real name (first game - LG, 6 years old) or nicknames I had/have (either the one I had at school or Poueff - from my first Ruby onwards).

Sorry for the rant, but I just hate it when people do that, to either Ash or Red.

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
    I noticed, but never really understood why kids didn't want to be themselves.

In Yellow, it's more understandable, since the game was based off the anime.
    When I first played the games I was about 5 or 6 and completely nuts about the anime, so sure I named all my saves Ash lol. Plus in answer to your question, I wasn't the most popular kid lol, was born with a bad hearing disorder so I wasn't really all that sincere about my self back then. Kinda depressed now that I think about it -.-....

Anyway! Now that I'm going through all my old games I just use my own name(Andrew for anyone that cares), I actually lived in Japan when they released Red and Blue, my dad was stationed there for about 3-4 years. When left in 96-97, absolutely awesome place to live. Well dang I've gotten off topic now lol.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    When we were younger, my brothers name them Ash (My second oldest named it "Ash" on his Gold.)

I personally don't. I name myself after my real name when I was younger. Now I name my self after my first word of my moniker, AKA username.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
    I hate it when people do that. :P
    Naming is one of the most vital parts of the game process for me.
    If I ever don't like the name, I will seriously just restart the game.
    I used to always go by "XOR VOK" or just "Xor" but then I started going by "Kusoru" and in Diamond I called myself "Tsudane".
    Naming is my favourite part.

I think in Ruby I named my character "Link"....

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
    Years
    Dude I used to always name my character ASH. Whenever I saw someone with acharacter named after themselves, or something like that, I thought it was weird. Now that I think about it, I think naming the character after the game's color (besides diamond,pearl, platinum. That would sound weird.) sounds way better. That doesnt apply with heartgold, though. I just name my dude Gold, because naming him HeartGold makes him sound gay...

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I actually didn't name my character Ash, named it before my pet dog at that time. :'D

Tyewatson

Poke Scholar
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    It wasn't until Ruby and Sapphire that I started coming up with new names. However I did name my characters either my name or that one game where I started it in almost pitch black on a road trip and got to the 4th gym, and when it was day time I realized I called my character AAAAAAAA and then I kept it that way until I put all my Pokémon on Pokémon Stadium and made a new game.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    I guess that makes sense to name it ash- it's in the tv show we all know and love. However, as a girl, I obviously didn't. And I couldn't name my trainer Misty, as I chose fire starters. Therefore I named mine Teresa and Jessica.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2012
    I named my characters random names for certain mini goals. (Example: B=Crystal. Caught all Pokemon in Unova dex.) I wasn't aware of the Anime until perhaps the age of 9. :o
    I never liked it then nor do I now.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    My character's name on my old Silver game was Ash way back then, started using Seth as my main name for most of the games when I started Ruby.

Back