• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Isshu's gone Unova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    So as we got the news with the English names for the starter Pokémon, we also received the English name for the Isshu region. We've had Kanto and Kanto, Johto and Johto, Hoenn and Hoenn and Sinnoh and Sinnoh, so one would only assume Isshu, Isshu right? However this is not the case. The English name for the region is...the Unova Region.

First off, I want to ask Nintendo...why. Why do they pick the time now to change the pattern? :\ I was fine with Isshu, it was very creative in my opinion. I've got isshu's with this but I guess I'll have to deal with it. :( It isn't half bad either though, but still, I would have preferred Isshu anytime.

So...discuss!
    [Keep in mind this is only to discuss the Isshu...er, Unova region and its name]

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    It's not bad...but I preferred Isshu. I just think Isshu suited Isshu. I mean Isshu suited Unova. Wait, Isshu is Unova, so Unova suits Unova. Gah! I'm so confused! Where are my pills...

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Personally, I don't see why they went off the 2 syllable word pattern.
    Kan - to
    Joh - to
    Ho - enn
    Sinn - oh
    Issh - u

I don't mind it that much but I liked Isshu. It's nice on the ear, a euphonic sounding word, yet Unova sounds so brash. But,m Unova is closer to Untied States of America.

Also this;
    UN - United Nations
    Ov - of
    A - America

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    Unova isn't THAT bad, I mean its pretty bad but not terrible.
    I thought that Isshu suited Isshu, but I guess Nintendo didn't ;-;

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Maybe they changed the name of the region because this one is a great distance from the others and they want to Englishnize the name. Hopefully they give a reason at some point for the Regional name change.

Years
    I was really disappointed with that. :/

I see they wanted to innovate even more, but renaming a region feels just wrong. And Unova it's a terrible name...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I liked Isshu better than Unova, even though there's nothing wrong with the latter. Unova is going to take a while to get used to.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Nintendo are a bunch of hermaphrodites.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    So as we got the news with the English names for the starter Pokémon, we also received the English name for the Isshu region. We've had Kanto and Kanto, Johto and Johto, Hoenn and Hoenn and Sinnoh and Sinnoh, so one would only assume Isshu, Isshu right? However this is not the case. The English name for the region is...the Unova Region.

First off, I want to ask Nintendo...why. Why do they pick the time now to change the pattern? :\ I was fine with Isshu, it was very creative in my opinion. I've got isshu's with this but I guess I'll have to deal with it. :( It isn't half bad either though, but still, I would have preferred Isshu anytime.

So...discuss!
    [Keep in mind this is only to discuss the Isshu...er, Unova region and its name]
    Actually Sinnoh's Japanese name was Shin'ō, and Hoenn's was and Hoenn was just little diffrent from it's Japanese name which was Hoen (they just added an n) so only Sinnoh and Isshu really have had real name changes with Isshu have the most drastic from Isshu to Unova (just correcting you on your trivia is all :) )

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I honestly hate Unova, it's not appealing to me at all. Isshu, however, was awesome and I will not be calling Isshu "Unova" anywhere unless I officially have to, lol :(

Btw. A better way of thinking of Unova -

"A star that suddenly becomes much brighter and then gradually returns to its original brightness..." found from the online dictionary.

U = You.

So, Unova means a place where you can be a star, but when you leave, the... star-quality wears away, promoting that you should stay in Isshu.

Years
    Apparently, in the Spanish versions of the games, it is going to be referred to as "Teselia".

I'm not too sure about that, though.
    I like the name though. I have no isshus with it. XD

Years
    Unova...I wonder if it comes from Uno (one) and Nova as in star meaning one star referring to how Reshiram and Zekrom were once one powerful being... or I might just be over thinking things...

butterbiscuit

Potential!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2013
    I always take a while to transition from the Japanese name to the English, but I'm not that concerned about a name. It doesn't really change anything, and I think the name is fine.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Unova...I wonder if it comes from Uno (one) and Nova as in star meaning one star referring to how Reshiram and Zekrom were once one powerful being... or I might just be over thinking things...

The Game
    involves Arceus and only Arceus, if you're not Arceus, you're nothing.

Years
    I always take a while to transition from the Japanese name to the English, but I'm not that concerned about a name. It doesn't really change anything, and I think the name is fine.
    Yeah it does...oddly I have never dealt with a situation like this before as I have never really gotten used to the Japanese names of the Regions or of the starters but this generation I saw and got used to it's Japanese name but it's still easy to transition :)
    Unova really sounds cool :D

butterbiscuit

Potential!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2013
    I don't mind the name- I'll use Isshu and Unova interchangably. The names of the starters are a whole other league, though. I wonder what other languages the region will be called, as well as Tsutaja, Pokabu and Mijumaru? Hmmmm...

Yeah, I don't really like the starters' names at all.

Snivy?...
    ._.

And I thought Turtwig was a bit much.

Years
    The game has NOTHING TO DO with Arceus. I now wonder what the CITY AND TOWN NAMES will be. :D
    OH yeah we have yet to learn those places names :D
    I wonder if Huin will sound like New...york
    Wait a moment york new...change that to You and then change that to U and New to Nova you get Unova :P

Fee Nicks

TekMage
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2011
    In retrospect, you guys should have seen this coming from a mile away.
    The reason? Team Plasma.
    Also given that everything pre-Elite Four is all new pokemon, a drastic shift in the naming pattern of the regions doesn't exactly seem out of the question.

Years
    In retrospect, you guys should have seen this coming from a mile away.
    The reason? Team Plasma.
    Also given that everything pre-Elite Four is all new pokemon, a drastic shift in the naming pattern of the regions doesn't exactly seem out of the question.
    True there is that Plasma and Nova relation
    And new pokemon and Nova relation we should have seen...well at least Tsutarja's name was predictable :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back