• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Isshu's gone Unova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaosDoom

Shiny Hunter KaosDarkrai
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2011
    Interesting selection of the english name of the new region.. hmmm..
    I still prefer Isshu.. oh well.. guess have to get used to it like we will have to once we hear all of the english names for the new pokemons.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I'm going to keep calling it Isshu.
    That's its original name, I'm used to it, and it just sounds better in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    *Ketchup Dance* Aserejè, ja, de jè, de jebe tu de jebere seibi UNOVA majavi an de bugui an de buididipi...

But seriously, it's an interesting change. Will take some getting used to, of course, but I think I'll be fine with it come the release.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    Meh, I've gotten used to it already. But it's still kinda disappointing since I still love Isshu very much.

Yoshikachu

Bring on the R/S/E remakes!
    Years
    Personally, I don't see why they went off the 2 syllable word pattern.
    Kan - to
    Joh - to
    Ho - enn
    Sinn - oh
    Issh - u

I don't mind it that much but I liked Isshu. It's nice on the ear, a euphonic sounding word, yet Unova sounds so brash. But,m Unova is closer to Untied States of America.

Also this;
    UN - United Nations
    Ov - of
    A - America
    How could it be United Nations of America??? America doesnt own the world u kno and Unova isnt america, it's based on new york, but it isnt america. like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh aren't japan.

I was really disappointed with that. :/

I see they wanted to innovate even more, but renaming a region feels just wrong. And Unova it's a terrible name...
    They renamed every region i think. Sinnoh was Shinou.

Last edited:

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    How could it be United Nations of America??? America doesnt own the world u kno and Unova isnt america, it's based on new york, but it isnt america. like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh aren't japan.

They renamed every region i think. Sinnoh was Shinou.

The headquarters of the United Nations is in New York.

You can't even call it renaming when it's just changing the syllables a little.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    I don't like the name Unova a bit. Isshu was way better! Citizens of Isshu! We should revolt!

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
    I haven't played the japanese versions of B/W yet so the name change doesn't bother me too much... But I have to admit Unova just doesn't seem like a region name for pokemon.. although, that is kinda the point so I guess I quite like it :P

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    *Ketchup Dance* Aserejè, ja, de jè, de jebe tu de jebere seibi UNOVA majavi an de bugui an de buididipi...

But seriously, it's an interesting change. Will take some getting used to, of course, but I think I'll be fine with it come the release.
    Oh! I know that song. Ahahaha.

Anyways, I don't like Unova one bit. Unova makes me think of mythical and dragons, like land where magic exist. Isshu makes me think of new renovations and technology and such. Though I don't like it, I'd probably gonna get used to it. Same with all the other English name. Now, I just hope they DON'T change Iris's name.

Scythe_Ironclaw

For Iron Legion!
    Years
    UNOVA describes EXACTLY what ME and RESHIRAM will do to the region. KAH-BOOM!!!!! Hah hah hah!

All I know is; Gamefreak better NOT touch RESHIRAM or ZORUA's names!

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I was very suprised when I took a look on the BW site and saw tghe name change, usually it was always the same. Never the less, I actual quite like the name, it sounds... novaish? Considering a nova is supposed to be some sort of space explosion I bet they didn't think about it for very long...

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
    You can see that the people at Pokécommunity are the biggest Pokémon fans because they hate it the most when there's something new.

I think Unova's fine, just a bit cheesy. It's logical, the first four regions are based on Japan, so they have Japanese names, heck, Kanto's not even changed from the area it's based on. It's only logical that the area based on new york be named English-ish. The cheesy part is of course that it's a play of words, like the United States of America thing that was mentioned, the you're a star thingy and, most importantly, I don't know wether it was mentioned or not, the 'nova' part also meaning new.

Yes, new. I think it's the most important part of the name, because this s a completely new era of Pokémon. Including a new kind of region name. As fans, we shouldn't hate on new things just because they're different from the older stuff.

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
    I think Isshu has gone Un Ova the top with the name change! I mean, I'd be happy with Issoh or Issho but Unova? One word. SRSLY?!?! (Or 'Seriously?!?!' for you grammar nazis out there)
    Anyway, Unova sounds more technical than Isshu, and Isshu sounds more natural than Unova. So I'm gonna call it Isshu when playing White, the 'natural' game, and I'm gonna call it Unova in Black, the 'technical' game.

However, like someone stated, the 'U' can mean 'You', and the 'Nova' can mean star, so Unova can mean 'Youstar'. Implying that, when you're playing Pokemon Black and White, you're a star!

Also, as tkallab said, Unova sounds more USAish for a game based on New York.

Overall, I'm 50/50 on the new name. It sounds good and bad to me. But that's just my opinion!

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Unova doesn't sound that bad although I was hopping that they would keep the Isshu Region. I like both names I guess. I'm so use to the Isshu region though but I guess I'll get use to this name as well.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Anyway, Unova sounds more technical than Isshu, and Isshu sounds more natural than Unova. So I'm gonna call it Isshu when playing White, the 'natural' game, and I'm gonna call it Unova in Black, the 'technical' game.

Afaik, this hasn't been stated anywhere I've seen and it actually DOES make sense, although probably not why they chose the names, lol. Considering imma mainly play White, Isshu does match up. I just thought there was something wrong about Unova anddd that might be why. XD

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    LOL at that meaning along with Isshu's "one variety" meaning. :cer_laugh: But couldn't they have used a corruption like Unueva? (uno and estrella nueva; the latter of which means nova in Spanish, from my research). I can't even see an origin for Teselia, and all the other localized names seem to have something implying one/1 or the letter U (possibly standing for United States of America, as Isshu/Unova is based on New York). So the Spanish name is the odd one out, despite Teselia sounding very pretty. I'm actually very surprised that the Spanish region name didn't even incorporate the term uno, as the Spanish name for "1" is, spelling-wise, a bit closer to the Latin name than the English name "one" is.

I don't know if it firts here, but a Tesela (English: Tessera) is each one of the coloured pieces that, put together, would create a mosaic. It could be a reference to the fact that it's a new piece in the pokémon world. In Greek, that word meant "4". I don't know what to make out of that but I must say that the name sounds much prettier indeed.

Sadly, it was unoUva XD

Yoshikachu

Bring on the R/S/E remakes!
    Years
    The headquarters of the United Nations is in New York.

You can't even call it renaming when it's just changing the syllables a little.
    It may be there but that doesn't change the fact America doesn't own the world and you would find it strange if a place was called the United Nations of Australia for instance. And the United Nations is an organization not a country.
    And Unova REALLY isnt America

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back