• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen It's Official!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
  • The starter evolutions are real, it's been confirmed at long last, and by KEN SUGIMORI NO LESS!!!!!

https://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1138051.jpg
    https://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1138056.jpg

(Images are too big)

The interview translated said:
    "Ken Sugimori, primary illustrator: I really struggled the most with the Water-type [starter] this time.
    Yusuke Ohmura, illustrator: There was talk of, "Wouldn't a sea otter be good for the Water starter?" But it was a really close decision in terms of what this sea otter would become once it evolves. In the end, we decided to have it evolve into something with a completely different appearance.
    Sugimori: Of course, we want to make the starters into Pokémon that remain with the player throughout the game, so we hope to make them evolve into creatures that offer a surprise to the player. We always make an effort to throw in some twists and create third-stage evolutions that have an impact.
    Ohmura: There was also talk this time about dividing the three starters into Japanese, Western, and Chinese styles of design. Tsutaaja was based on Western design, and Pokabu was rooted in a Chinese style, so I was told, "Let's make Mijumaru into a more Japanese-style design." Someone even asked, "Can't you make Mijumaru into a samurai?" [laughs]
    Everyone: [laughs]
    Sugimori: I worried about it for a while, and I eventually went to go see the sea otters at the aquarium. I happened to catch the sea lion show while I was there, and I became aware of the sea lion's power. "Well, let's try blending a sea otter and a sea lion," I thought. I came up with the idea of making the shell on Mijumaru's stomach into a sword (katana) and using it to fight, and that's how I completed Mijumaru and its evolution."

About the katana part: https://browse.deviantart.com/?q=mijumaru final evo&order=9&offset=24#/d2y9jv4

And I have only ONE thing to say about it......

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • The good thing, is I read a post, and it could still be /Fighting :D

But since PxP has been right so far, it might still be just Water. :pink_cry:

Also, I've seen that picture a lot now, and I finally get it! That'll be SO awesome.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Now that Mijumaru's evo is fully explained, I am totally for it! Although it is interesting how the "fusion" theories made sense. Especially with Pokabu's evo and Rhyperior.

Xeos

The Mighty Xeos!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    Yep... Definitely not getting Tsutaja now...

shot571

i was really hoping they were fake. not cos they looked bad but they didnt have much to do with the starters. And tsutaga had soooo much potential -_- they screwed him up....big time. Mijamuru could have became epic from some of the fakemon pics. *sigh* at least fire is still ok'ish like usual

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    This is exciting news... I love their designs... I am still undecided... I just know I wont be using the Fire Starter as I usually do. This game will be an entirely new experience for me.

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    I'm still a tad unsure on whether I like the evos or not.
    I am entirely for the grass evo line, that looks pretty awesome, but as for water, I am still 50/50 - the background on the design makes me like it but I shall see when sprites etc are released.

Grass or Water for me though. :)

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • What magazine is this from?

I agree with takkunlove7 and demand to know that where is this taken from. It is actually really easy to fake all that text because there is basicly no pictures taken from the magazine to proof it's authenticity and even I could easily make something as simple looking with my friends. Anyone agree and also want to know the magazine? O__O

Years
  • I agree with takkunlove7 and demand to know that where is this taken from. It is actually really easy to fake all that text because there is basicly no pictures taken from the magazine to proof it's authenticity and even I could easily make something as simple looking with my friends. Anyone agree and also want to know the magazine? O__O

Agreed, im not totally sold on this yet, especially since there is no mention of this ANYWHERE except this thread. No where on Pokebeach, Bulbapedia, Serebii, nothing.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Technically doesn't confirm anything at all o_o.

It COULD mean that the ones we have seen are real, or they could have taken it an entirely different way. The water-evo could be a lot more Samurai orientated (even than the fanart you posted).

Until we see images then they aren't truly confirmed.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Like others have said what magazine it came from. I won't believe until I know where it came from.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    Found out on bulbapedia forums that it's from Pokemon Pia. I think it's an official guide that comes with the game but I'm not sure...
    Anybody know about this book/magazine?

Apparently this is a special book being released only in Japan with special interviews, more in-depth about Isshu pokemon and even comes with pikachu earphones, so it's pretty credible.

Just not too sure if I can say it's confirming the evolutions because it's not showing them or anything. Still, it is from a credible source.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hmm, its going to be a hard decision whether I want Smugking or Narwotter when I get my hands on BW, they're both pretty awesome (even though I liked a more dragon-like fan made design of Smugking I've seen somewhere seen some weeks ago even better)...
    Not a fan of the pig's final form though.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • Found out on bulbapedia forums that it's from Pokemon Pia. I think it's an official guide that comes with the game but I'm not sure...
    Anybody know about this book/magazine?

Apparently this is a special book being released only in Japan with special interviews, more in-depth about Isshu pokemon and even comes with pikachu earphones, so it's pretty credible.

Just not too sure if I can say it's confirming the evolutions because it's not showing them or anything. Still, it is from a credible source.

Pokemon Pia is the same magazine that confirmed Isshu being based on New York. (People who are in denial about it use the "OMG NO COVER" defense which makes no sense)

Now that Mijumaru's evolution is explained, I am fine with it.

Pokabu's final is the one I have a problem with. I will never use Pokabu if it turns into a Fire/Fighting AGAIN.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back