• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Justice For Caylee" - The Casey Anthony Trial

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Surprised there's not a thread for this, because it's a BIG deal down here. Probably cause it took place in the south, but anyway, the short version is that Casey Anthony is accused of the murder of her young daughter, Caylee. You can read more about it here or get some more results via Google. I watch it on the news everyday...but I don't understand court stuff much, however I've been wanting to make a thread about this for a while.

Thoughts on the whole thing? And please tell me I'm not the only one that sees this on the news constantly. :( I'll jump in on discussion when there's more to say, but I personally think she's guilty.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    If I remember correctly she was bragging about not having to worry about having a kid to deal with any more(although I was half awake during the Anthony story on the early show every morning). And also that her stories seem to conflict themselves lending for her testimony to not be the most believable.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    If I remember correctly she was bragging about not having to worry about having a kid to deal with any more(although I was half awake during the Anthony story on the early show every morning). And also that her stories seem to conflict themselves lending for her testimony to not be the most believable.

Yeah, she tends to lie about a lot of things. She said Caylee drowned, but there's duct tape around her mouth and nose...other evidence shows drowning is not the case. And she lied about how her nanny kidnapped Caylee, and there apparently wasn't a nanny. Just...yeah, this is exactly why I cannot feel any sympathy with this woman. She was out partying all the time anyway.

Last edited:
    Years
    I've seen quite a bit of coverage on the story up here on MSNBC and the locals stations. I can't help but think she's guilty, whether she actually killed Caylee or not, she had a hand in it somehow. And I think eventually she'll crack from the pressure and reveal the whole story.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I hate to admit this, but I know of this case because kim kardashian tweeted about it :/ I then looked it up and my grandpa also keeps tabs on this case. I don't recall seeing it on the news over here though.

Personally, I think she did something, her different testimoney's don't add up and didn't they say a psychologist even said she wasn't that stable? Regardless of what happened, it's such a sad case.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Well she clearly did do something too her daughter, I've given her enough benefit of the doubt. Things just don't add up. But why harm your child? That's probably what everyone's thinking.

Darn, yo beat me to making the thread :P

And @Kyoko, I heard about this on E!'s Notorious Women's list xD Casey here was Number 1.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Guilty, but im willing to bet that her lawyers will try a insanity defence in order to prevent the death penalty. (Not sure if its still in effect in that state, buyt it might.)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Her feelings and her face just looks so fake, as if she's so innocent or something. She claims that Caylee drowned but it's sooooo obvious that it's not true. They need evidence. There's a good chance that she's going to end up being guilty because of all the lies she fabricated.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Her feelings and her face just looks so fake, as if she's so innocent or something. She claims that Caylee drowned but it's sooooo obvious that it's not true. They need evidence. There's a good chance that she's going to end up being guilty because of all the lies she fabricated.

Pretty much. She jokes around and laughs in court, and I'm sitting here thinking, "Okay, you're on trial for the murder of your daughter. Not presenting yourself very well here." Just ridiculous. All her actions seem fake to me. Whether or not her reaction to seeing that picture of Caylee's skull was genuine or not is beyond me, because that truly is a horrid thing to have to see, but still, with everything else she's said or done factored in, I have a harder time thinking she was really feeling bad. If those were real tears, it's probably from her realizing she will get caught, whether she is the lone murderer or just helped in the murder.

Guilty, but im willing to bet that her lawyers will try a insanity defence in order to prevent the death penalty. (Not sure if its still in effect in that state, buyt it might.)

I wouldn't doubt that either. It's pretty plausible, I mean...what sane person would kill their daughter? And without reason? It's just sick.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Too bad this is rarely the metric used anymore. People just pay it lip service these days...

Anyway, I haven't heard about this, but I'm generally against media hooplah about things like this which should be settled privately in the justice system.

Years

Too bad this is rarely the metric used anymore. People just pay it lip service these days...

Anyway, I haven't heard about this, but I'm generally against media hooplah about things like this which should be settled privately in the justice system.

I agree. "Guilty until proven innocent" is more accurate it seems.

It doesn't help that people like Nancy Grace have been fanning the flames of this story for months now. The Media as a whole has been all over this.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    She sounds guilty, built I couldn't claim to be able to prove it.

Laughing though... That is not a normal human way of reacting to one's daughter dying. Not normal at all. She's either demented or she's guilty. One of the two, potentially both. I for one do not believe she's simply neither. No way.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I agree. "Guilty until proven innocent" is more accurate it seems.

It doesn't help that people like Nancy Grace have been fanning the flames of this story for months now. The Media as a whole has been all over this.

She's not proving herself anywhere near innocent though. I don't watch the Nancy Grace coverage though. But yeah, media is on this case like flies. I'm not even kidding, every time I go downstairs, no matter what time of the day it is, my uncle is watching it. It's on just...24/7 it seems.

Laughing though... That is not a normal human way of reacting to one's daughter dying. Not normal at all. She's either demented or she's guilty. One of the two, potentially both. I for one do not believe she's simply neither. No way.

I just don't like this woman at all. Period. I mean, she does NOT act like a grieving mother who lost her daughter! This woman is seriously messed up.

What's really sad? They show pictures of Casey and Caylee and she looks like a loving mother that really loves and cares for her daughter. And then after Caylee's death, she's stone faced in court, with hardly any emotion most of the time. It's ridiculous.

Years
    I haven't heard much new about it for about a year now.
    This woman is sick and needs help. She made up so many unbelievable lies and is tripping over them, and somehow is still sticking to some. Her daughter will get justice.

Years

This is exactly what I was going to say. I don't want to sound too cynical, but these things happen from time to time. The sensationalism of the news with stories like this bothers me. I'm actually glad it hasn't reached where I am. It's the kind of thing which, if it belongs in the news in the first place, should stay in local news where it might possibly matter to people's lives. It seems that the law has everything in hand - no missing children, no fugitive suspects - so I really don't need to be involved.

Years
    IIRC, the closing arguments are today, so hopefully a verdict will be reached soon. And, evidently, the death penalty (for First Degree Murder charges) is still on the table.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I haven't read much about this case, and I've heard it mentioned a few times. But from what I've read and heard, if she isn't guilty, she definitely has something to hide. She's going down a slippery slope, and now would be the time to start telling the truth.

But also... innocent until proven guilty is the standard here. So, unless they prove it, she is technically innocent. Let's just hope though, that whatever happens, guilty or not, that justice is served properly, which seems to be a problem in courts a lot of times.

Oh. And I don't exactly believe in the death penalty. Nothing can justify taking the life of another human being. No matter what horrible crime they have committed. They have every right to live just as me and you do. Also, if she is guilty, the death penalty wont do much. She wont "learn her lesson" and she won't feel bad about what she's done. The only thing she will regret is not doing a better job and getting caught. Just saying.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I heard about this quite a while ago; not from the news. It interested me so I read up about it. Seems to me that Casey felt her daughter was holding her back from moving on in her life and forming new relationships, judging from her diary entries and her boyfriend's involvement in all of this. I'm very sure she's at least somewhat guilty; after all the false statements, as well as evidence against her, it would have to be a miracle for her to be totally unconnected to Caylee's death.

Cannot agree with the "innocent until proven guilty" outlook at all. If we always took this stand we'd let criminals get away all the time (in fact, we already do, it would just be worse). Maybe the media are just building hype around it; but amongst all that a lot of police facts have been reported and the evidence heavily weighs against her.

Back