• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kids with mobile phones?

Melody

Banned
Years
  • Personally I see no harm in kids as young as 7 owning a very cheap, pre-paid feature phone. They don't need an expensive phone until they get older, and it IS logical to restrict their phone usage so that they cannot over-use the phone by restricting the numbers they can call. (This can be done on many cheap feature phones if you do some research first.)

Still, as far as unrestricted phone use goes, that doesn't need to kick in until they're about 12 or 13, and even then...the phone can be restricted as punishment or to make sure they don't cause a big surprise bill at the end of the month. x3

But regardless of that, Kids do need cell phones...especially if you want to be able to keep track of them. It saves trouble, and allows the kid to call the parents up and let them know if their plans changed while they're out of the house and away from parental supervision, or to request permission for whatever changes in their plans that the parents may require for that matter.

Now over-use is an issue, but it's not as big of a problem as the media would have you to believe. :/
    Still, it's always up to the parents, but I feel that they'd find the usefulness of equipping such a tool to their children vastly more useful than the pain that the problems that it could cause would be.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    My first cell phone was when I was 14. This was in 2004 and it was a cheap Virgin Mobile prepaid that I bought and paid for airtime with my own money. My little sister's phone broke and I bought her a Virgin Mobile prepaid as a replacement for Christmas. It's an Android smartphone and she seems to know how to use it very well. She's 13 btw.

Maj. Cor

With love, grace and strength.
    Years
  • I think having a phone with restrictions, like allowing only certian numbers into the phone (such as 911, the home phone number and the parents numbers) would be great for younger kids, like 13 years of age, because it could be used as a protection measure. Y'know, just in case if something happened to them. But to have a fully loaded phone like an Android for a kid that young is just too much. I feel the same way about kids who are under the age of 15 on places like Facebook.​

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I think having a phone with restrictions, like allowing only certian numbers into the phone (such as 911, the home phone number and the parents numbers) would be great for younger kids, like 13 years of age, because it could be used as a protection measure. Y'know, just in case if something happened to them. But to have a fully loaded phone like an Android for a kid that young is just too much. I feel the same way about kids who are under the age of 15 on places like Facebook.​

13? What? More like 11. Nearly ever 13 Year old kid has a phone. Well at least in my school. It isn't too much IMO. And Facebook is basically made up of under 15's. Since the age to join is 13.

I received my first phone when I was like 10. I didn't use it much, I started using them a lot more at around 12. Now being 15 I'm addicted to it. Like other teenagers. I think Kids under 11 should only have it for emergencies but 13+ should be able to use it when they want.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • It really depends on the kids whose receiving the phone. In my opinion, little kids shouldn't need fancy cell phones. A simple would seem more suitable. All kids care about these days is how "expensive" their phone is >_>

In the end, I think kids between 7-12 should just have phones for emergencies or to contact their parents..

Maj. Cor

With love, grace and strength.
    Years
  • I got my first phone at age 11. It was a crappy Virgin Mobile one, but I had it for two years. I used it for emergenices, like most younger kids do...

...and about the Facebook thing, I think the joining age should be raised a little. There's no need for young kids to be on sites like that. I mean, parts of Facebook are really bad, like explicit bad, and they shouldn't be exposed to it. But again, that's MY opinion.​

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    This issue doesn't exactly, concern me. I do however find it quite amusing. I didn't get a cell phone until I was 16, and that's only because my sister helped me. But I kind of regret it since my Mom ALWAYS has to have better technology than I do. It's ridiculously annoying. It was even more annoying when I was in my senior year (I had an LG Chocolate... one of the older ones) and I had to ride an elementary bus home. (I lived so far out that only that bus went out there around that time... by the time I got out the Jr high one had been gone for 20 minutes. ) A 9-year-old with an iPhone and a matching iPod Touch looked at me trying to see where my mom wanted me to get off said bus and said, AND I QUOTE "You have to have the stupid little phone? What does it even DO?" After controlling my need to slap some respect into this little boy I calmly said "All that I need it to." And maybe sent him a death glare to turn around, since the High school students had to be confined to the back.

I don't mind them HAVING phones, or even expensive ones, (ya know, if the parents want to potentially waste money on a phone that will most likely be taken by the teacher for the year, broken, lost, or stolen within a couple weeks. That's their choice, who am I to judge them for it?) as long as they don't let it swell their ego and kill whatever respect nodes are in their brains, (or chronically distract them) I can tolerate it. Though once respect goes out the window, I ALMOST (just some morbid part of my brain I guess) believe the phone should also go out said window.

Though, in hindsight, I should have gotten a phone when I was 12... I lived in the middle of nowhere, and by this time, cell phones were the only means of communication my family could afford. I was home alone during the summer, and had no way of contacting people. AT ALL. Sometimes my mom would be merciful enough to leave me her phone for the day, but otherwise I was completely and totally isolated. I mean, again, I lived in the middle of nowhere. What could REALLY happen if I didn't decide to romp outside and risk encountering a badger or a rattlesnake or some other dangerous animal? Not much, but the chance still existed. Either way, I'm honestly glad it took as long as it did for me to get one... By the time I did, of course, the destructive and scatterbrained child I once was had long since disappeared.

Persephoni

A.K.A ~Sierra-Bella~
    Years
  • I was 16 when I was allowed to get my first mobile, but I would say that it would entirely be up to how mature they are; not their actual age.

Capris

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    Eh, phones are mainly communication tools and I don't see why they shouldn't be able to have one as a kid because we communicate at all ages. So what if they call their friends or play games on it, I don't see how that's a bad thing. And it's another way for parents to check up on them and that can only be a bonus for anybody granting the phone.

There's no reason for anybody who isn't paying for it to complain in my opinion.

Years
  • It doesn't bother me really (like the previous poster said, I'm not paying for it) but it does seem a bit excessive in many cases. I've worked with kids professionally since I was 18 and a lot of times I see kids who have phones long before they really need them. The only reason you should need a phone before middle/high school (unless you're in a unique situation where are helping provide for your family or something) is if you spend a lot of time in places where your parents cannot contact you in any other way. There is nothing wrong with having to wait an hour until you get home to call your friends if you ride the bus. If your parents need to tell you something about riding arrangements they can call the school.

I didn't get a cell phone until I started driving (16), which makes sense because that's when you become more mobile/get a job and are capable of going places where your parents may or may not know that you are. Up until then I was perfectly content to talk to my friends at school and call them when I got home if I wanted to make plans.

I agree with what many here have already said: if you feel your kid needs a phone before driving age, why do you bother getting them an expensive, fresh-off-the-market phone? I can't tell you how many times I've heard kids talking about how they ruined or lost their fancy phones because, well, they're kids. If it can call then it should serve your (and their) purposes just fine until they need more. Anything else just encourages them to get it out during school and not pay attention in class. No offense to those of you here who had expensive phones at 6 and 7, but to me that is a bit much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I think it all depends on the family in question, how they live, what their child's life is like, are they alone sometimes?, do they have after school programs or need a ride home or walk home alone? etc. The world is not as good a place as it was and crime rates in many "safe" places are even rising. So, I know a lot of parents want their children to have something for emergency which is fine. However, I also agree with a lot of people who say why should a 5/6 year old child need a top of the line iPhone or smart phone? That's a little questionable since they are too young for social networking and things like that. Why would they need the internet? To google their spelling words? (And anyway, most families already have computers!)

I have also known quite a few family friends where their kids weren't responsible enough with their minutes used and ran up the bills hundreds of dollars. So, I think it also should be pointed out that someone who should have a phone should be responsible enough to recognize their limit and stick with it. If they can't be, then maybe they shouldn't have one just yet for their leisure, but one they can carry around for emergency.

I think if a kid walks a distance to a bus stop or walks home, a phone is okay, a basic phone. Even a 13 year old wouldn't <i>need</i> an extravagant phone but something to talk or text with. I could never fathom wasting $300+ on a phone for my child if I deemed they didn't need it. Something to bring around to call or keep in touch with your parents is perfect, no need to buy your kid something expensive just because you want to use it as a status symbol.

Age wise, I think 13 is perfect age for someone to have a reasonable phone. If they're younger, then a basic phone. I live in a very populated area where many people have money to throw around and it makes me feel sick to see a 10 year old have a fancier phone than I do, and I'm 22 years old! lol I work and pay for my own phone bill, but even I don't need all the extras some of these phones have so why should a 10 year old need it? They're nice phones, but I also would want to spend my money reasonably and responsibly. I love my smart phone, but it still wasn't the brand new one that was hundreds of dollars to purchase.

As for my first phone, I was about 15/16. I got a basic flip phone that could text and call and IM. That's all I really wanted to use it for since I would IM a lot of my school friends. When I was younger (13 - 14), if I wanted to use a cell phone, I would borrow my mom's and go out and call her or I would IM or text my friends occasionally with her phone. Again, it was a standard phone, then again that was back in about 2002, so there weren't really the high tech gadgets like there are now. But, I think I was also mature enough to know I couldn't fool around with the phones or replace them easily, so I always took great care of my cell phones. It all depends though on what age someone is best considered to be responsible with a phone.

Years
  • I hate when little kids have cell phones, thinking they're all cool and everything. I mean, who are you texting? Your like 7.

I think when your in at least 8th grade or 9th grade (going into High School) would be the appropriate time to get a cell phone. That's when I first got mine. The point is in High School, you pretty much need a phone in case of an emergency or something. Not when your in Elementary or Middle school.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think a kid can get a phone when he/she can pay for the phone + the costs themselves, but nothing too extravagant. And if they were my kids and they had the phone, they wouldn't be allowed to use it for social networking until 14. But it all depends on the kid, really. If they're the typical g@ng$ta eight year old who believe it is their right to 'have a phone to call all my bros' and waste all the credit on stupid ringtones and advertisements they see on TV instead of actually using it for what it is for, then I don't think they deserve one. But if the kid is one who needs it so they can call their parents in an emergency (especially kids who are prone to seizures or something like that, so passers by can call the parents if needed) or so they can be picked up, plus they are responsible/mature enough to handle a phone, by all means, give them one.

I just think that parents nowadays are getting too hasty to give their kids phones just because they're trendy or cool, not because they actually should have one.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
  • Recently, I visited my relatives in Florida.

My nine-year old cousin has a cell phone nicer than mine and was texting her friends from school the whole time we were at a restaurant.

I was flabbergasted, I didn't even get a cell phone until I was 16 and started driving, and didn't start texting regularly until I was 18. The only gadget I had at her age was my Game Boy Color.

Damn, I feel old now. And I'm only 20.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • I didn't get my first phone until I turned 12... I think? And even then it was only used so my Mum could call me. It depends on the circumstances but I don't think kids should have one just for the sake of having one. Kids are growing up far too quickly these days for my liking. *shakes pensioner fist at them young 'uns* xD

zekes

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I got my phone when I am was 13 and I don't like it because it is an old model mobile cellphone. I am hoping mom will buy me an Iphone this year.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I think I got my first phone late 5th grade / early 6th grade. I didn't get spoiled with the views of smartphones and iPods until late 8th grade.

And what pulls my strings is seeing 7-8 year old girls texting their girlfriends with their flashy keyboard phones >__>

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    I see six year olds with iPhones and iPods, texting their friends while Facebooking. You're six. You don't have an elaborate and complex network of friends.

I got my first phone when I was fourteen, only because I was going to high school, which was about a mile away from my old school. I needed to tell my mom if I was going to go home, go with friends, stay to make up tests/tutor, or something else.

You know you can report any six year old who lies about there age to Facebook :)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Eh, phones are mainly communication tools and I don't see why they shouldn't be able to have one as a kid because we communicate at all ages. So what if they call their friends or play games on it, I don't see how that's a bad thing. And it's another way for parents to check up on them and that can only be a bonus for anybody granting the phone.

There's no reason for anybody who isn't paying for it to complain in my opinion.

An issue could be that some kids aren't responsible and can run up a huge phone bill. Parents can avoid this by choosing a carrier that allows parents to limit usage level on certain lines, offer unlimited usage, or offer prepaid services. Still, I understand how a kid running up a large phone bill can be an issue for parents.

As for others complaining that children who are not theirs own have phones, I agree that they should mind their own business.

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    In my humble opinion, your first phone should be crap. Just like your first car. Now get off my lawn. :P If you're like 9 and I see you with a Blackberry or something, your mom needs smellingsalts.

I got my first cell phone at 14, I think. Some sliding phone with a number pad, got it free from renewing a contract. I never really used it, and lost it often, and eventually I downloaded Pokemon Yellow and played it without sound. It wasn't much, but I didn't lose it anymore. Now I have a Samsung Flight two years later, which is not so awesome itself... it has a browser and that's all I do with it other than the occasional text message. Can't download anything. Stupid security measures.

And that's all I really do with my phone.

Back