• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kids with mobile phones?

Graphical

Beep beep boop
    Years
    I got my first phone for my 11th birthday. Which, in my opinion, is the age you should be getting a phone. There should be an age limit on it, as 9 year olds with a phone is just as ridiculous as them having an XBox and swearing at you on Live.

My phone just does what I want it to do - play some games and text my friends. I never call anybody, texting is my thing.

And anyways, my mom agrees that it's fantastic that I got one; should I be walking home from school or going somewhere with friends, she likes to know that I'm safe.

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
    Years
    I must've been uh... around... ten, maybe. I started walking home from school on my own, so I had to have a phone else my parents would worry.

Honestly, though, I think kids should only get phones when they start going places on their own. I grew up on Pokemon Cards and Gameboys, now all the kids have laptops and phones better than mine ;~;

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I got my first phone at 12 and I thought I was kinda young at the time, haha. The phone was nothing fancy (mind you, cellphones back in like... 2002 weren't in general anyway). I think that there's nothing wrong with a kid getting a cellphone - it's good for parents who want to have a method to contact their kids when they're not around - but I draw the line at getting a kid, like, an iPhone or something. That's unnecessary.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    meh, I think that in a way its a bad thing because i remember how healthy was my childhood, only adults were to have a cellphone xD but in other way its better

Fire Heart

Reject Revolving Door
    Years
    I got my first phone when i was 10 when i started to go out with my friends, to me, if a kid needs/wants a phone, they should be able to get one i guess.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I got my first cell phone on my 18th birthday. I didn't really need one before then because I wasn't out doing extracurriculars everyday and I didn't have any friends, so yeah...

Remember, the parents' budget also plays a significant role on the age kids get phones. My parents aren't rich so they delayed buying me a phone for as long as they could. XD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Got the original iPhone when I was 9. Then I got the 3GS later on, and now I have the iPhone 4.

You're unnecessary. Get out of here.

The people on this site are so undyingly rude to anyone who their jealous of. I quit. Most of you are freakshows anyhow, judging by the picture thread.

What? You're jealous?

I paid for my own phone.
    I wouldn't say people are necessarily jealous. :/ I bet most of us would agree that, yes, in some cases it's perfectly fine for a kid to have an expensive phone but... most 8-13 year olds I've known? No way. My brother is 17 and he's always losing his phone so sure, age doesn't mean a lot, but I don't see the logic in spending $500 + another $50/month on children who, for the most part, only need a phone for emergencies.

Out of curiosity, do you do a lot with your iPhone? What do you use it for & why did you choose it? Instead of just quoting people you disagree with and being a jerk, let us know your side of the story. You bought it with your own money, that's a start, but tell us why YOU think children need phones (and expensive ones at that). That's how debates work and this is a debate. You're going to get a warning if you just keep up with that "you're unnecessary" crap.

Rawrinism

Shandera'd
    Years
    Well, I'm 14 and most of my friends/people I know has one. I'm honestly fine not having a cellphone atm. I had asked my parents before, but they said I can't get one till I get a job. :p That's about it... I'm pretty sure they think I'm not responsible enough. But to be honest with myself, I am a really responsible person. Well, 99% of the time. :D
    I think that if the child is responsible enough, then why not.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I'm in my late 20's / 85 and I still don't have a cell phone. When do kids need a cell phone? When their parents deem it necessary for them to have one in order to keep in touch with them. Whether that's at age 8 or 16 depends on the parents and how often the kids are at a friend's house/working/etc.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    You know you can report any six year old who lies about there age to Facebook :)

Yeah you can if you're a low life and have nothing else to do. Like, what will you accomplish from doing that? Unless you enjoy making little kid's lives miserable just because they want an easy way to talk to their friends.

Anyways, with the phones,. I couldn't care less since I choose not to have a cell phone when I can just use my house phone or a phone wherever I may be.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    I got my first mobile phone when I was 7 years old, I wasn't really using it that much unlike today. I think age doesn't matter in regards with mobile phone and gadges.

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    I got a basic phone when im elven. But i saw a 2nd grader have a phone and thats way to young. I think elven a good age.

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
    I guess when the child starts Highschool is a good age. If they're any younger they don't get one unless they actually NEED it for something like an afterschool activity. (I had band in Highschool and I needed a cellphone to call my parents when it was over)

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    It bothers me when I see a third grader with an Iphone or a droid. Haha if they do they have a better phone than me. I'd say they should wait until middle school or near middle school. In my opinion

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    I think they should keep Cell Phones away from people in general, given that it can change the structure of your DNA. (I'm not kidding, do some research) I think, considering the brain isn't fully developed or settled until sometime in the twenties, I'm sure it's very detrimental to be exposed to such things. Kind of scares me that the signals are, what, the same frequency as used in a microwave? Talk about global warming. e,e

Serperior

ɱɛʟт
    Years
    I think they should keep Cell Phones away from people in general, given that it can change the structure of your DNA. (I'm not kidding, do some research) I think, considering the brain isn't fully developed or settled until sometime in the twenties, I'm sure it's very detrimental to be exposed to such things. Kind of scares me that the signals are, what, the same frequency as used in a microwave? Talk about global warming. e,e

Last time I checked, this topic is about children using phones, not the effect on the human body. Go take your alarmist research material in a topic that calls for it.
    I used to be one of those people who complained about kids having phones, but now I'm just neutral. People these days will find anything to complain about this generation, in this case, kids with phones. I think people need to have a better use of their time other than whining how they didn't have a cell phone at the age of 10 and kids these days do. -.-

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    In cases of emergency or general aid or something, it would be beneficial to a child, otherwise, things like social interaction should probably be left until the age 13 minimum.

I've seen ads on children's related networks advertising ringtones and subscriptions, and how a child need only dial the number/text to obtain this and pay some extra $10 a month as a result. The white text on the ad is not that viewable either. I'd hate to be a parent and see a bill so huge...

Responsibility is key though, in these situations.

I never got a cell phone until I was about 18 I think, in part because I didn't need one and also because I wasn't in Canada all the time either. I've always used my own money for the plans etc. Though when I was younger, cell phones were still in the process of becoming popular, so the current technology was just for phoning really too. :P

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I rarely use my phone. It's basically a tool to keep myself connected with my parents when I go out so they know where I'm going. Actually, they know more about them than I do... lol

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I think that age shouldn't come into the situation at all. It just depends on the situation, and the kid themselves. Some kids need a phone at age 10 because they go out to their friends all their time and hang out with their friends. It would just be a hassle if they could not keep in touch with their parents on a good, regular/semi-regular basis. There won't always be a landline around for them to use.

However, on the flip side of this, there are some kids who are like seventeen and don't ever go out anywhere in their life. Their need for a cell phone wouldn't be very high, especially compared to that of the aforementioned ten year-old. Matter of fact, I know people in both these situations, so it is a bit of a hassle when they ten year actually doesn't have the phone.

===

Of course, what really annoys me is when I see ten year olds running around with the iPhone 4. It's great and okay and all that you need a phone. But you just need a phone Just a way to get in contact with people. You should be happy that you get one to have at all, and not complain about how aesthetic it is or not, about all the features that it has or not.

Back