• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Let's talk about Gym leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    This should come as no surprise. 8 new gyms with leaders specializing in a certain type will be introduced with the new region.

What do you think/hope will happen with them? Maybe more challenging puzzles? Maybe just less puzzles and more battles? Fire away.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I think we should finally see a Dark type gym, I would also like something besides a Rock gym as the 1st Gym, even though the Second Generation had Falkner, a flying type leader, Dark is the only one I can think of.

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    The Gym Puzzles are ridiculous filler. I'd rather see more Gym Leader storyline involvement and the gyms should evolve beyond mono-type and mix it up a bit.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    I wouldn't mind seeing another ground type gym either. The first gym should be dark or normal, other types are too cool for the first gym XD

Edit: instead of just having them specialize in one type, why not have them be more specialized with certain fighting styles. One gym could be all offensive, while another prefers to inflict status moves.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    gym leaders should be more involved with the plot :)
    but also- types i want to see (no particular order)
    Grass
    Flying
    Dark
    Normal
    Fire
    Ice
    Psychic
    Ground (or rock)

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I agree with the Dark Gym idea :P It could be the first way you see Zoroark (like Lucario in the Fighting gym for DPPt)

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I think it's about time that a Dark Type gym is introduced into the Pokemon Universe, as dark types came about in the 2nd Generation, and it's already the 5th.. I'd also like to some gyms that haven't been used a lot, Dragon, Bug, Ground, per say. I really hope that there isn't going to be the obligatory Rock Type gym that comes first, but something spices things up like how things in the 2nd Gen were.
    And regarding gym leaders, I definitely think that they need a more prominent role in the plots surrounding their city or town they reside in, which is how things are set in the Anime. This way we could get more plot set into the games while also getting to learn more about the gym leaders and have fun instead of just passing through some type of maze and then battling the leader. And since Gym Leader's are there to help the trainer out along their journeys, it would be cool if they showed up once and a while to give you some random item or tip, per say. I don't know, I just want to see more involvement really XD

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    The Gym Puzzles are ridiculous filler. I'd rather see more Gym Leader storyline involvement and the gyms should evolve beyond mono-type and mix it up a bit.

I wholeheartedly agree. The puzzles are completely unnecessary and often an annoyance that drives your attention away from the actual battles. I'd be happy to see them removed altogether, or at worst, reduced to a point where they simply add some atmosphere to the gym (without being overbearing).

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Dark-type gym would be nice.

I wouldn't mind seeing another ground type gym either. The first gym should be dark or normal, other types are too cool for the first gym XD

Edit: instead of just having them specialize in one type, why not have them be more specialized with certain fighting styles. One gym could be all offensive, while another prefers to inflict status moves.

I thought that status moves was already covered back with Janine/Koga? I mean, the types themselves already have a certain style that they want to be played in so the gym leaders kind of already had a certain battling style. It would be better if that was expanded upon though. :3
    And regarding gym leaders, I definitely think that they need a more prominent role in the plots surrounding their city or town they reside in, which is how things are set in the Anime. This way we could get more plot set into the games while also getting to learn more about the gym leaders and have fun instead of just passing through some type of maze and then battling the leader. And since Gym Leader's are there to help the trainer out along their journeys, it would be cool if they showed up once and a while to give you some random item or tip, per say. I don't know, I just want to see more involvement really XD

A more prominent role for gym leaders would be pretty cool. The only leaders who ever really did anything outside of the box were Giovanni and Claire, really; those were the only ones who you actually really interacted with. The rest just feel like generic characters like the random trainers that fight you all the time. Even a random appearance to help you out or annoy you would give them personality and thus prominence.

I wholeheartedly agree. The puzzles are completely unnecessary and often an annoyance that drives your attention away from the actual battles. I'd be happy to see them removed altogether, or at worst, reduced to a point where they simply add some atmosphere to the gym (without being overbearing).
    But there are other people who like the battles less and the puzzle-related aspects more. Nintendo's got to keep the balance between the people who like one aspect of the game and the people who like another; I doubt they'll remove the puzzles ever. Besides, I like those. ):

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    If you prefer the puzzles to the battles you are a) playing the wrong game and b) need to invest in some Tetris Time so you can become sharp enough to move on to better puzzles then rotating blocks to get from one ledge to another.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    I'm going to go along with the croud here and say please, please, please let there be a Dark-type gym and please, please, please may the first type not be Rock. Rock should come in 5th or 6th to give it a chance to shine because it dosn't necessarily need to be a noobish type. Look at Brock in HG/SS.

I would like more intricate and extravagant gym puzzles and designs like the ones in Platinum and in HG/SS. I think they should stick with monotype as it gives the gym more structure. A mixture would just get monotonous. The gym leaders can still have themes and gimmicks of course (eg. Whitney uses cute pokemon etc.). I do like the idea of gym leaders taking more prominence in the storyline though. I mean, why didn't Sabrina just destroy Team Rocket herself istead of just sitting back while they took over the city?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Gyms need to keep their type themes, but the leaders don't necessarily need to have monotype teams. Throw in one pokemon of a different type to deal with pokemon that can normally wall the rest of the team. (such as an electric gym leader using a water type to deal with n00bs that think they can wall him with a ground-type, and possibly set up a rain dance/thunder combo or something).

I think we need a Dark-type gym pretty badly, and bug-type, poison-type, ground-type, and dragon-type gyms need to be brought back. :P

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    First off I think the gym leaders should incorporate more of a strategy than mindlessly abusing the same type. Like Timbjerr said, throw in one of another time.

I think we need another steel-type gym with something other than Steelix abuse, but that's unlikely. :(

Years
    Gyms need to keep their type themes, but the leaders don't necessarily need to have monotype teams. Throw in one pokemon of a different type to deal with pokemon that can normally wall the rest of the team. (such as an electric gym leader using a water type to deal with n00bs that think they can wall him with a ground-type, and possibly set up a rain dance/thunder combo or something).

I think we need a Dark-type gym pretty badly, and bug-type, poison-type, ground-type, and dragon-type gyms need to be brought back. :P

I like your ideas. I agree with you on the type gyms that should be included. I'd also like a Fire Type gym with a red haired female as the gym leader. With the fire type gym, the Pokemon can have electric/grass moves to counteract against water/ground Pokemon. For example, she can use a Vulpix/Ninetales with Energy Ball, Dark Pulse, Safeguard, and Flamethrower.

I'd also like the return of rematches.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Looking at what Lily said above, I definitely want the return of Gym Leader Rematches as well. But the thing is, in HG/SS I feel that the whole process of re-battling a Gym Leader was too complex and confusing, even if it did provide some sort of challenge. I liked the simplicity of the Trainer Café in Platinum and how each leader came in randomly. So I hope something like that will be implemented.

I wouldn't mind if we could re-battle them in their own gym, as well.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2013
    Okay :-
    Rock/Ground
    Fire
    Water/Ice
    Electric
    Flying
    Psychic/Ghost
    Grass/Poison/Bug
    Dragon
    Dark
    Steel
    Fighting
    So 8 of those *although they always combine types for gyms.
    1st- Rock
    2nd- Flying
    3rd-Fighting/Ground
    4th-Dark/Psychic
    5th- Water
    6th- Grass/Bug/Poison
    7th- Electric
    8th- I quite like - like Gary - a mixture of them all.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Let's see, these are the number of gyms that each type has:

Rock: 3 (Pewter, Rustboro, Oreburgh)
    Fighting: 3 (Cianwood, Dewford, Veilstone)
    Electric: 3 (Vermillion, Mauville, Sunnyshore)
    Water: 3 (Cerulean, Sootopolis, Pastoria)

Grass: 2 (Celadon, Eterna)
    Fire: 2 (Cinnabar, Lavaridge)
    Ghost: 2 (Eurecteak, Hearthome)
    Psychic: 2 (Saffron, Mossdeep)
    Ice: 2 (Mahogany, Snowpoint)
    Steel: 2 (Olivine, Canaclave)
    Flying: 2 (Violet, Fortree)
    Normal: 2 (Goldenrod, Petalburg)

Bug: 1 (Azalea)
    Dragon: 1 (Blackthorn)
    Ground: 1 (Viridian)
    Poison: 1 (Fuschia)

Dark: 0

I think that Dark is a definite, GF would have to be brain-dead to leave it out again. It'll probably be a late gym as Dark-types are generally quite strong and a Dark-type leader is likely to use complex tactics, though it could work as an early gym. I think we are very likely to see Bug, Dragon, Ground and Poison as we've only had one of each, and none in the last two generations. I'd like to see a late Bug gym and an early Dragon gym, that would be interesting, people would think Bug=weak and Dragon=strong, but a gym leader with Heracross, Scizor and the like would shut them up. Although we did just have a Bug E4 member, so maybe a middle gym is more likely for Bug.

We're unlikely to see any of the gyms that already have 3 to their name, that would be overkill. So we have the 8 with 2, competing for 3 spaces. It could be any of them, but logic hopes that we won't see any of the same gyms we saw in the last generation, therefore it'll be 3 of Fire, Psychic, Flying and Normal. Now Psychic has been overdone all around, with 2 E4 members to its name, but I suspect we might well see a Flying and/or Normal-type E4 member, as they, along with Grass, are the only types not yet represented in the E4, and so are unlikely to have a gym as well.

Of course, this is all assuming that they keep to the monotyped gym formula. It's likely that they will, but this generation does seem to be different from the others in many ways, and we keep getting the message that these games will be different from any other game before, so anything is possible.

This is also assuming that GF have a shred of logic to their name, which is debatable.

So, my top three wishes:

1) Dark-type gym, 'nuff said.
    2) No Fighting-type gym leader OR E4 member please. So far we've had 2 E4 members and 3 and a half gyms. That's quite enough, thank you.
    3) Please, god please, no Rock gym. And if there is what, can it not be the first gym? We've done it three times already, any more would be simply ridiculous. It's boring, repetitive and uninspired, and we've had enough of it.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'd like it to be COMPLETELY different i.e

Psychic
    Fire
    Dragon
    Steel
    Water
    Grass
    Bug
    Dark

I really want a Dark type gym leader

tvoza2

Armored Skarmory
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2019
    i think we'll definatly see a dark type gym, but there's a strong possibility for a new type. probably a space type, because who really belives the gaurdians of time and space should be steel (even though dialga's my favorite ledgend) and water combos?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back