• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual) anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Again on a semi related note, I changed my FB "interested in" portion to men (from nothing put). Aside from an increase in gay ads (lol), the update itself was kind of small, so I imagine it will be bumped from people's view in no time. I did not update my status however.

For those wondering why I did this, well mostly because I didn't want to lie anymore (a while back it was 'interested in women'). It's also because there really is no need for me to tell people individually or something to that effect. If they accept it, they accept it... And the more obvious reason of there being some online only friends as well. I don't want to announce it, I don't see a need to do so, but I don't want to lie either. XD

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    One of the products of an increasingly tolerant society is the minorities or the oppressed going gung ho on everyone else. Everyone becoming acceptant suddenly makes liking men, having periods and being dark skinned awesome. When gays have been protesting for equality for such a long time then they have no right to proclaim themselves superior.

Cocks turn you on - that's cool, but don't act so damn smug about it.

I can't believe I'm about to say it, but you're (for once) right old bean.
    This is what I've being saying about the whole elitism thing.

Years
    I love how when a group of people get together and start to form bonds and share things and generally enjoy each other's company there will always be someone who doesn't even want to be part of that and wouldn't enjoy it anyway but still feels the need to get indignant about it.

@Feign: Let us know how that works out. (I might consider something similar in the future.)

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I love how when a group of people get together and start to form bonds and share things and generally enjoy each other's company there will always be someone who doesn't even want to be part of that and wouldn't enjoy it anyway but still feels the need to get indignant about it.

That is exaclty how the Nazi party started!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Again on a semi related note, I changed my FB "interested in" portion to men (from nothing put). Aside from an increase in gay ads (lol), the update itself was kind of small, so I imagine it will be bumped from people's view in no time. I did not update my status however.

For those wondering why I did this, well mostly because I didn't want to lie anymore (a while back it was 'interested in women'). It's also because there really is no need for me to tell people individually or something to that effect. If they accept it, they accept it... And the more obvious reason of there being some online only friends as well. I don't want to announce it, I don't see a need to do so, but I don't want to lie either. XD

I did this once and nobody noticed XD Now it's been sitting happily on ~Men ^^

In fact, I think I told most of my friends I had a boyfriend before they even noticed XD They obviously don't check my facebook enough.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
    @IceSage: If I had a nickel for every time you used the word "constantly"...

Shoving our gayness in peoples' faces? This is an LGBT thread - did you think we'd not talk about it? Really, this thread is like saying "We're going to go over there and be really gay so we don't have to be really gay in front of everyone in case that offends someone." It's like we're having a queer convention/support group and you showed up and got mad that we were being "too" open. Seriously, wtf do you want? For every gay person never to mention that they're gay?

Again, you're misreading my posts. People seem to do that a lot here. The whole point just sort of went over your shoulder. Also, mis-quoting and putting "words in my mouth" doesn't really work on a forum where people can go back and read my actual post. I don't remember typing the phrase "shoving your gayness in peoples faces."

I'll repeat again, there is nothing wrong with talking about being gay, bi, etc. I'm also NOT referring to you mainly, but the OP. I don't "want" anything.

You're entirely missing the point of my posts.

"People are people, how does sharing your sexual preference effect anything at all?" If we're getting crap irl we can be 99.9% sure that people like us will be understanding and sympathetic, but we won't necessarily know who those people are until we make a thread that says "Come out, come out, wherever you are!" It's really no different if, say, someone were Muslim and were being hassled for it. Would you think it strange if they sought out other Muslims first? (You can replace Muslim with whatever helps you understand: Christian, Jewish, liberal, conservative, pokemon fan, etc.)

I'd have the same stance on it, actually, however slightly different. You can choose a religion, most people can't chose who they're attracted to. Like I said, the thread itself and the discussions that take place in them, and discussing the topic is perfectly a-okay, and there's nothing wrong with it. You missed the point where I said I was referring to the OP's presentation of it, though. I'm mainly only posting about the OP and his first post... I'm not even discussing views on LGBT really, or the discussions in this thread.

"Why does anyone have to mention it?" How else are we going to find people? No, not for dates - for support, for friendship. Yes, straight people can be supportive, can be friendly, can know what it's like to be hated for who you are, but is everyone who's experienced racism (for example) going to be accepting of queers? No. Is everyone who's experienced homophobia going to be accepting? No, but most will.

My main point is really that announcing your sexual preference in a defensive manner, and automatically talking about how you "don't like labels" yet you start a thread MAKING such labels, is redundant.

Here's basically what I mean as an example. When a bunch of gay people go around saying they're being harassed because they're gay, and that they're "proud to be gay" or say "Why can't you just leave me alone?" or "Are you treating me like that because I'm gay, that's wrong! Homophobe!" -- Then why are they saying those things in the manner of "sexuality shouldn't factor in" when on the other hand, some of those same people are all defensive or "proud" of their gayness, and make it extremely apparent?

It's saying, "I don't want to be judged by who I am, but I'm going to inform you that I'm different and place a label on myself."

That's kind of contradictory, don't you think?

but is everyone who's experienced racism (for example) going to be accepting of queers? No. Is everyone who's experienced homophobia going to be accepting? No, but most will.

True, but you don't NEED someone to be something, to be accepting of it.

Like I said, the discussion of this can be helpful and beneficial... However, I was mainly referring to the OP and others like them... Who say they're tired of being persecuted and labeled, yet constantly do things to cause attention to themselves and place labels ON THEMSELVES.

I'm all for people being EQUAL, no matter who they are. When I see a person, I don't think things like, "Black, gay, christian." I see just a person, and whether they're black, gay, or a christian, has nothing to do with if I can get along with them or not, or believe they're a "good" human being.

And the disclosure of sexual preference as a normalcy or some kind of socially required thing is ridiculous...

That's kind of the point I'm making in a way.

On another note, part of the actual discussion of this thread... One of my favorite people in the world, James Randi, recently came out on his website. <3

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Again, you're misreading my posts. People seem to do that a lot here. The whole point just sort of went over your shoulder. Also, mis-quoting and putting "words in my mouth" doesn't really work on a forum where people can go back and read my actual post. I don't remember typing the phrase "shoving your gayness in peoples faces."

I'll repeat again, there is nothing wrong with talking about being gay, bi, etc. I'm also NOT referring to you mainly, but the OP. I don't "want" anything.

I'd have the same stance on it, actually, however slightly different. You can choose a religion, most people can't chose who they're attracted to. Like I said, the thread itself and the discussions that take place in them, and discussing the topic is perfectly a-okay, and there's nothing wrong with it. You missed the point where I said I was referring to the OP's presentation of it, though. I'm mainly only posting about the OP and his first post... I'm not even discussing views on LGBT really, or the discussions in this thread.

My main point is really that announcing your sexual preference in a defensive manner, and automatically talking about how you "don't like labels" yet you start a thread MAKING such labels, is redundant.

Here's basically what I mean as an example. When a bunch of gay people go around saying they're being harassed because they're gay, and that they're "proud to be gay" or say "Why can't you just leave me alone?" or "Are you treating me like that because I'm gay, that's wrong! Homophobe!" -- Then why are they saying those things in the manner of "sexuality shouldn't factor in" when on the other hand, some of those same people are all defensive or "proud" of their gayness, and make it extremely apparent?

It's saying, "I don't want to be judged by who I am, but I'm going to inform you that I'm different and place a label on myself."

Like I said, the discussion of this can be helpful and beneficial... However, I was mainly referring to the OP and others like them... Who say they're tired of being persecuted and labeled, yet constantly do things to cause attention to themselves and place labels ON THEMSELVES.

I'm all for people being EQUAL, no matter who they are. When I see a person, I don't think things like, "Black, gay, christian." I see just a person, and whether they're black, gay, or a christian, has nothing to do with if I can get along with them or not, or believe they're a "good" human being.

On another note, part of the actual discussion of this thread... One of my favorite people in the world, James Randi, recently came out on his website. <3

Yeah but you've being using logic and structured posts that most people in this thread have no decent rebute against, so they straight away try and twist what you've said.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years

Not to troll you or anything, but I thought you weren't going to post a big thing of text again.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Just to let you all know - I finally stopped stressing and changed my "Interested in" on FB.
    Now I'm going to wait for someone to notice, and on Friday, I'm posting a status.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Just to let you all know - I finally stopped stressing and changed my "Interested in" on FB.
    Now I'm going to wait for someone to notice, and on Friday, I'm posting a status.

Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you Kon n___n

@IceSage

I agree that if you go around broadcasting your sexuality you are aiding people to be abusive towards you, but saying that - some people dress 'camp' because that's what they like to wear and feel comfortable in. They aren't telling people they are gay, they are going about their own business, but would you say they are bringing any abuse they get for it on themselves?

My boyfriend is pretty scared about being my boyfriend in public, he comes from Newcastle and the impression I get is that homophobia is somewhat promoted there (And his father and brother are homophobic, in fact, when he was small, they said that if he turned out gay they'd kill him :\ hence why it's taken him years to get even this far).

[In Newcastle there is a gay club with a gun shop opposite it. o.o]

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011

@IceSage

I agree that if you go around broadcasting your sexuality you are aiding people to be abusive towards you, but saying that - some people dress 'camp' because that's what they like to wear and feel comfortable in. They aren't telling people they are gay, they are going about their own business, but would you say they are bringing any abuse they get for it on themselves?

My boyfriend is pretty scared about being my boyfriend in public, he comes from Newcastle and the impression I get is that homophobia is somewhat promoted there (And his father and brother are homophobic, in fact, when he was small, they said that if he turned out gay they'd kill him :\ hence why it's taken him years to get even this far).

[In Newcastle there is a gay club with a gun shop opposite it. o.o]

Newcastle is full of twats in general.

Years

Good for you! When I changed mine, no one noticed until one of my friends mentioned in a formspring question that I liked men and then everyone started attacking me with the "YOUR BY????" WTF?"

My advice: DO NOT GET A FORMSPRING (:

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years

Good for you! When I changed mine, no one noticed until one of my friends mentioned in a formspring question that I liked men and then everyone started attacking me with the "YOUR BY????" WTF?"

My advice: DO NOT GET A FORMSPRING (:

Thank you guys so much. :)

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
    @IceSage

Nope, because that's just how they dress. Also, there's nothing wrong in public to make it apparent you're gay because that's how you feel comfortable. It was merely talking about venues such as online forums (like this one) and other unique situations where people initiate and bring up the subject and label, then complain about how the people they're bringing it up to have a problem with it... when, they were the one who initiated it to begin with...

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Nope, because that's just how they dress. Also, there's nothing wrong in public to make it apparent you're gay because that's how you feel comfortable. It was merely talking about venues such as online forums (like this one) and other unique situations where people initiate and bring up the subject and label, then complain about how the people they're bringing it up to have a problem with it... when, they were the one who initiated it to begin with...

In the case of forums I think it's because, unlike the real world, it's very hard to pick out a person's mannerisms and so it kind of needs to be said (in situations like this thread, not just in random conversations - beginning a PM or VM with 'I'm Gay' is just silly) in order to know who you are talking to. It kind of helps people connect on a level where they can respond more passionately and personally you know?

Also I don't believe "Gay" "Bi" "Lesbian" being a label is necessarily, it's one of those words used to describe people. Just like "Black" and "White" isn't a label - it just is. It only becomes a label when people use it to associate stereotypes or slang terms that are used to cause offence.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Hey guys just changed my fb to "interested in women" from not being displayed. Can I have a pat on the back?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back