• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lonely, Bullied, Abused Teen Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Dont hate on me for this but honestly, I didnt feel sorry for my sister when she attempted suicide. I dont feel bad for Amanda Todd. Im not going to go into detail about it because my uncompassionate view got me banned from another forum. What is there in my reasoning not to understand?

I agree with everything Kura said. And toujours if you take away free speech when it "hurts a little girls feelings" then its not free speech is it?

Fair enough, I can understand why you'd feel that way, I just made the assumption because I would sympathize for either at least a little, but that's myself and not you.

I can see why you'd feel that way, people who take their own lives won't get everyone's sympathy. I think it was a stupid decision on her part, there were smarter choices that should've been made, like how Kura said her parents could have just taken away the internet from her. I don't know much about what happened with the Amanda Todd case, but I can't understand how people would feel so depressed and hurt to be able to take their own lives, and because I can't understand that I don't know what way to feel; part of me wants to feel sorry for them, part of me thinks it's a stupid decision.

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    Fair enough, I can understand why you'd feel that way, I just made the assumption because I would sympathize for either at least a little, but that's myself and not you.

I can see why you'd feel that way, people who take their own lives won't get everyone's sympathy. I think it was a stupid decision on her part, there were smarter choices that should've been made, like how Kura said her parents could have just taken away the internet from her. I don't know much about what happened with the Amanda Todd case, but I can't understand how people would feel so depressed and hurt to be able to take their own lives, and because I can't understand that I don't know what way to feel; part of me wants to feel sorry for them, part of me thinks it's a stupid decision.
    Thank you for being reasonable.

Toujours, it hurt that girls feelings so she took her own life. They didnt kill her by making fun of her. If you couldnt say anything that had that potential to cause someone to kill themselves then you wouldnt be able to say much of anything at all. Kids make fun of other kids, you cant do anything about it. Its human nature.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Thank you for being reasonable.

Toujours, it hurt that girls feelings so she took her own life. They didnt kill her by making fun of her. If you couldnt say anything that had that potential to cause someone to kill themselves then you wouldnt be able to say much of anything at all. Kids make fun of other kids, you cant do anything about it. Its human nature.

This. We are so tied up on the words that other people said, that we are ignoring Amanda's own actions.

Last edited:

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    Like someone mentioned earlier this is Kony all over again. Heres a picture thats relevant. It has a bad word in it so I linked it instead of posting it. Let me know if Im not allowed to link pictures with bad words so I dont get an infraction.This is a lot sadder than Amanda Todd's story. If you just watched the news you would never know people like this guy got bullied. I bet guys like this kill themselves all the time but it nobody posts sympathetic Facebook statuses or make threads about people like him. Unless they kill a few dozen people on their way out.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • This picture you mean?

wjo1350427905c.jpg

You know why his case wasn't reported?

Who is going to get more attention, a beautiful young girl, or a ugly guy?

As I said, the media doesn't care. All they care about is getting views, because that is what makes them money.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Not to be rude and not that she didn't have a right to be on Facebook, say. But... if that's where the problem is, just don't use it. Online bullying is bad. Perhaps worse because it is amplified, but at the same time... you can also turn it off.

Perhaps she herself wasn't in a place or a state to do that, but that seems like a no-brainer to me if I were here parents.

Sad story, not unusual. There are many more out there who don't see such an outpouring by the public and the media afterward.

The steady stream of malicious comments and "lols" across the Internet is sickening though. Regardless of her behaviour, a young life was thrown away.

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    This picture you mean?

wjo1350427905c.jpg

You know why his case wasn't reported?

Who is going to get more attention, a beautiful young girl, or a ugly guy?

As I said, the media doesn't care. All they care about is getting views, because that is what makes them money.

Thats it. Good thing there are people less lazy than me to black out bad words so that its forum friendly.

And yeah I agree with Triforce and Kura. She should have just reported that guys profile picture and got off the computer.

One sad thing about this story is that if she hadnt killed herself chances are she wouldnt have had any attention paid to her story and if she did the general public would be telling her it was her own fault instead of "OMFg. That poor gurl sombody should hav don somethin!!1!" Bullying worse than what happened to her happens all the time.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • 1) Bleh, don't flash yourself. Ever. You kinda had it coming tbh.

2) What the ****, guys. Really? She made a mistake. Get over it. She made another mistake. Well, let it go! She moved away from the school. Get the hint?

Case in point: she might have deserved it, but in any case, not that much.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Thats it. Good thing there are people less lazy than me to black out bad words so that its forum friendly.

And yeah I agree with Triforce and Kura. She should have just reported that guys profile picture and got off the computer.

One sad thing about this story is that if she hadnt killed herself chances are she wouldnt have had any attention paid to her story and if she did the general public would be telling her it was her own fault instead of "OMFg. That poor gurl sombody should hav don somethin!!1!" Bullying worse than what happened to her happens all the time.

True that.

You screwed up? People tell you you screwed up.

You screw up, then kill yourself? Burn anyone who points out your mistakes at the stake.

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 22, 2021
    Being perfectly honest, the thing that bothers me most is how people say she deserved it and how shallow she was, as well as calling her an idiot/moron/****/etc. I don't think it matters what she did that started it all, especially if, were you to have seen the video, she seemed to accept that she made a mistake and knew she'd have to live with it for the rest of her life. Another thing I dislike is the fact that people are claiming it's getting too much attention and that there's a big fauxtivist movement that's going to die off in a few days because of her. Yes, this isn't anything new, but the fact remains that bullying is still a problem and it drove a girl to committing suicide. This one just happened to be reported and become more widespread.

Arguments can be made I guess that it was still her choice, and that ultimately yes, she is what wound up killing herself. But to me, that same argument could be applied to a man being taunted and tortured to the point where it's either die now or just break completely and endure even more pain/suffering. The person(s) pushing them may not have done the final act, but to me, at that point, it seems as though it's just awaiting the final nail to be put in the coffin-- a formality at best.

Do I like the idea of someone committing suicide? Hell no. However, I will say that I can't bring myself to judge someone who does do it (at least consciously... I am a fallible human, after all, and I am prone to make assumptions/judgements regardless of an intention to do so.) I say this because, as someone stated earlier, every person is different-- and we don't know everything that truly happened, both internally and externally to the girl. But, again, something needs to be done in regards to bullying in general so that more cases, both those reported and those that go unseen, are stopped.

tl;dr: She wasn't a ****, she made a mistake, she didn't bring it all on herself, she isn't a special case, bullying is bad and suicide is serious.

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    Being perfectly honest, the thing that bothers me most is how people say she deserved it and how shallow she was, as well as calling her an idiot/moron/****/etc. I don't think it matters what she did that started it all, especially if, were you to have seen the video, she seemed to accept that she made a mistake and knew she'd have to live with it for the rest of her life. Another thing I dislike is the fact that people are claiming it's getting too much attention and that there's a big fauxtivist movement that's going to die off in a few days because of her. Yes, this isn't anything new, but the fact remains that bullying is still a problem and it drove a girl to committing suicide. This one just happened to be reported and become more widespread.

Arguments can be made I guess that it was still her choice, and that ultimately yes, she is what wound up killing herself. But to me, that same argument could be applied to a man being taunted and tortured to the point where it's either die now or just break completely and endure even more pain/suffering. The person(s) pushing them may not have done the final act, but to me, at that point, it seems as though it's just awaiting the final nail to be put in the coffin-- a formality at best.

Do I like the idea of someone committing suicide? Hell no. However, I will say that I can't bring myself to judge someone who does do it (at least consciously... I am a fallible human, after all, and I am prone to make assumptions/judgements regardless of an intention to do so.) I say this because, as someone stated earlier, every person is different-- and we don't know everything that truly happened, both internally and externally to the girl. But, again, something needs to be done in regards to bullying in general so that more cases, both those reported and those that go unseen, are stopped.

tl;dr: She wasn't a ****, she made a mistake, she didn't bring it all on herself, she isn't a special case, bullying is bad and suicide is serious.
    Well, I mean no one is denying that bullying is a terrible thing. There really isnt much anyone can do about it though. Kids are going to bully each other. Period. And I dont judge her for committing the act of suicide, I think if people are that unhappy they should be free to kill themselves, I just dont like the way the media goes about portraying the bullying or the way the public reacted. I also dont really think she had reason enough to kill herself. As far as "she didnt bring it all on herself" I think she did. I dont frown upon her actions but she cant expect to do those things and not have to face some kind of consequences. I mean Ive seen plenty of girls do the same thing and get treated the same way at my school and have the same "Omg Poor mee. What did i do?))):" attitude as she had. They knew their actions could have had consequences and while its sad that thats the way things are its just the way our society is. All the government propaganda and Justin Beiber anti-bullying ads in the world wont change that. If shes that emotionally fragile I guess she should have kept her legs closed. You cant do whatever you want and not expect people to say something about it.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • Wow, this topic sure... went places.

Personally, I don't care who she is or what she looks like. It doesn't matter. What matters is that she killed herself due to the extensive bullying despite her trying to move on, and them not letting her. I totally sympathize with that, because I've been bullied extensively in the past even when I was trying to escape from it, even when I was trying to be stronger. People couldn't get over the past, so they took it out on me, and it was just horrible.

I am appalled every time I hear about something like this, regardless of who it is. I feel sympathy for the ugly boy, too. He didn't deserve it. He couldn't control his appearance. It's awful that the media is so horribly biased - it's why I'm against freedom of press - and that they don't always bring these to light. It's not fair. If I died, nobody would care. Not even my parents. I would barely get a proper obituary. And that's really one of the worst things about the media's bias.

But right now, that shouldn't matter. This topic was about bullying-induced suicide, regardless of who it was who died. No matter what, that is something that should not be happening. I know this isn't the first instance, and it won't be the last either. And one thing I think it comes down to is parenting. People don't teach their kids right from wrong anymore, because they're either too lazy, too busy working, too apathetic, or they're trying to be their kid's friend instead of role model. Thus, more kids are monsters, especially since the amount of young, unprepared single parents is growing exponentially because, again, the media is making it look like it's okay. You really shouldn't reproduce until you're READY, and that's a pretty big issue. I mean, use birth control, for crying out loud!

There are a lot of contributing factors here, but responsibility lies with both the parents and the schools. Parents need to monitor what their kids are doing, and punish them if they do something like punch another kid who did nothing to them. If that were my kid, I'd probably sell my kid's cell phone, keep the money, and ground them for a month. If they wanted a new cell phone, well they'd have to pay for it themselves. I am NOT one to mess with.

As for the school, physical violence should mean an immediate one-day in-school suspension. A second offense is a week out-of-school. A third offense is expulsion and being blacklisted from other schools in the area. That's a good way to prevent bullying from escalating to physical instances. Constant name-calling and such can warrant detention and eventually in-schools. I mean, I got a one-day in-school in HS for threatening a teacher and immediately realizing the stupidity of myself the moment after. That's what I get for being stressed. I deserved it. I learned from it. Why can't everyone?

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    Wow, this topic sure... went places.

Personally, I don't care who she is or what she looks like. It doesn't matter. What matters is that she killed herself due to the extensive bullying despite her trying to move on, and them not letting her. I totally sympathize with that, because I've been bullied extensively in the past even when I was trying to escape from it, even when I was trying to be stronger. People couldn't get over the past, so they took it out on me, and it was just horrible.

I am appalled every time I hear about something like this, regardless of who it is. I feel sympathy for the ugly boy, too. He didn't deserve it. He couldn't control his appearance. It's awful that the media is so horribly biased - it's why I'm against freedom of press - and that they don't always bring these to light. It's not fair. If I died, nobody would care. Not even my parents. I would barely get a proper obituary. And that's really one of the worst things about the media's bias.

But right now, that shouldn't matter. This topic was about bullying-induced suicide, regardless of who it was who died. No matter what, that is something that should not be happening. I know this isn't the first instance, and it won't be the last either. And one thing I think it comes down to is parenting. People don't teach their kids right from wrong anymore, because they're either too lazy, too busy working, too apathetic, or they're trying to be their kid's friend instead of role model. Thus, more kids are monsters, especially since the amount of young, unprepared single parents is growing exponentially because, again, the media is making it look like it's okay. You really shouldn't reproduce until you're READY, and that's a pretty big issue. I mean, use birth control, for crying out loud!

There are a lot of contributing factors here, but responsibility lies with both the parents and the schools. Parents need to monitor what their kids are doing, and punish them if they do something like punch another kid who did nothing to them. If that were my kid, I'd probably sell my kid's cell phone, keep the money, and ground them for a month. If they wanted a new cell phone, well they'd have to pay for it themselves. I am NOT one to mess with.

As for the school, physical violence should mean an immediate one-day in-school suspension. A second offense is a week out-of-school. A third offense is expulsion and being blacklisted from other schools in the area. That's a good way to prevent bullying from escalating to physical instances. Constant name-calling and such can warrant detention and eventually in-schools. I mean, I got a one-day in-school in HS for threatening a teacher and immediately realizing the stupidity of myself the moment after. That's what I get for being stressed. I deserved it. I learned from it. Why can't everyone?

Nobody thinks bullying is good. Its bad. It happens and its going to happen. And alot of times the kids with the best upbringing can be some of the worst bullies. And what does freedom of the press have to do with media bias? If anything freedom of the press makes the media less biased.

Last edited:

LividZephyr

Years
  • Nobody thinks bullying is good. Its bad. It happens and its going to happen. And alot of times the kids with the best upbringing can be some of the worst bullies. And what does freedom of the press have to do with media bias? If anything freedom of the press makes the media less biased.
    I think regulations in regards to bias are necessary - regulations that shirk freedom of press. I am not for government-controlled media, I am for regulations about honest reporting. Which doesn't exist anymore.

That's what I mean.

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    I think regulations in regards to bias are necessary - regulations that shirk freedom of press. I am not for government-controlled media, I am for regulations about honest reporting. Which doesn't exist anymore.

That's what I mean.

I guess it would make sense to have some sort of agency like the FDA that approves news stories and can give it some kind of "unbiased" stamp that shows it approves of a program. But you cant really put regulations on the media as a whole. It isnt right to force every guy who posts news stories on his blog to be completely unbiased. And i dont think regulations on honest reporting have ever existed.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    People need to learn to sympathize.

Nobody can pass any judgment, ever. Her life was her life and she made her own choices and decisions. It is unfortunate that those decisions led to what has happened, but it is even more unfortunate that she didn't have a true support system through her struggles to prevent her ultimate demise. She was stalked and harassed. I can almost guarantee that none of you have had police knocking at your door at 4 AM because of something you did on a whim, at an age where everything is exciting and new and you are unaware of the consequences.

Unless each and every one of you live in her shoes and go through exactly what she went through, then you can't decide whether she "deserved it or not." Until then, don't play God and more importantly, don't do any ego-boosting by preaching about your own bullying problems and issues and thinking yourself a stronger person because you choose to live.

Some people can handle what's thrown at them, some can't. It depends on the individual and exactly what is thrown at them. She went through a lot and in all honesty, I'm surprised she went as far as she did. From what I understand, the problem persisted for two or three years. That's an awfully long time for a teenager.

That was just venting. What I really wanted to say is this,

No form of bullying is acceptable. I've been bullied and I've been a bully. I admit to being on the extremes for both ends of the spectrum and I don't particularly enjoy reflecting on those events. People need to realize that they go hand in hand though. If you're bullied then you're more likely to be a bully; it's a never-ending chain of events. Preventing it is impossible, but we can still do our best to help stop it in its tracks if we see it occurring. As mentioned in my first post in this thread, there's a school district near me that's had 11 suicides and 15 attempts very recently. From bullying. And when someone commits suicide from bullying, others see it as an effective way to end it - for good.

Bullying and suicides have a very nasty connection, and it's becoming a trend. This is something that will continue until a drastic change is made whether it's in what parents teach their kids, how bullying is handled in school, how the media portrays it, kids being taught real Internet safety, etc. The list really goes on.

Unfortunately, pretty much all anti-bullying campaigns are entirely ineffective as well.

Livewire beat me while I was taking forever on this post, lol.

LividZephyr

Years
  • You all disgust me. That girl and boy and those who are bullied to that extreme deserve your pity, not your judgement.
    Haven't I said that I sympathize with them both? I didn't mean to call him "ugly" but I was just referring to the instance... poor wording.

It's just sad what society has come to...

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • Having taken the time to read through this thread, I can with all confidence say: WOW. Just, wow. Some people in this thread disgust me. I'm not going to name anyone as to avoid warranting an infraction, but you people are senseless and cold. Very cold.
    I'm gonna take my time to explain how I feel about all this, so get ready for a wall of text:

• To all of you who are saying that 'she deserved it' or that 'the media should cover other more prominent suicide stories', your argument is completely off the topic and irrelevant. There are two types of criticism:
      • Constructive criticism that is helpful and can guide someone towards what is right or otherwise, better.
      • Pointless and unnecessary criticism that will lead no where and is both a waste of your time and an immediate giveaway of the type of human you are.

All the criticism that has been posted in this thread, regarding the death of this young woman, is pointless. The girl is dead for ****'s sake, how are you in any way helping? All you're doing is shaming a person after their death, and trying to prove your disgusting thoughts about someone who is no longer with us. This will not in any way help the matter nor will it do the world any good. Why are you trying to prove that bullying is always gonna happen? I mean, seriously wtf? How does that help? How is that even related? What is wrong with having some hope in stopping something that has caused so much death and suffering?

Don't say that bullying will always happen because there are numeral ways to prevent it. Saying that will only render the hope that people have in fixing the world of today, impossible or at least improbable. People don't argue to prove things that will not do any good, and that is what you are doing so please stop and try to say something nice for a change. It might make you feel good.
    • She deserved it? She deserved to die? Are you guys being serious right now? Because honestly, if someone said that to me irl, I wouldn't believe that they were serious even if they insisted. And you people have far more than insisted.
      You think that because a young clueless girl flashed her boobs and slept with someone, something that is in the sexual desire of every human being and something that she cannot be blamed for given the nature of teenagers all around the world, warrants death? Wow. In that case, I beg you to tell me what the punishment should be for murderers. Please go ahead, I'd love to hear it.

Not to mention, you guys are disregarding the fact that she regretted it so much, but there was nothing that she could do about it. It was from the past but in haunted her till the day she died, and apparently with people like you, it's haunting the poor girl even after her death. You people disgust me.

Do you mean to tell me that you've never made a mistake? Try to put aside the amplitude of a mistake and tell me that you as a teenager are void of any sexual desires and are perfect. If you can't honestly say that, then your discussion has been invalid since the start.
    • I don't get why you are discussing the media in this thread. I don't understand how that is in any way relevant to the fact that an innocent young lady who could have had wonders in the life ahead of her, is now dead. Does the fact that the media gave her more attention than others, lessen her right to sympathy and pity? No, but you insist on making it seem so.
    • For those of you out there saying that you have been bullied too, I beg you to reconsider your thoughts and try to understand the following:
      • This girl was tortured beyond logic and acceptance. And by acceptance I don't mean the general public's acceptance, rather that of the bullies who ruined her life. After everything she'd been through she was pushed even more. Not only did she have no friends at all, and not only was she bullied all throughout her teen-life, but she was also mocked online, in real life, and seen as a **** for a mistake that every single one of us, including YOU, are prone to making.She had no place to resort. Not the internet, not her friends, not her family who obviously showed her no support, no one. If you are reading this, than it is a fact that you have a place to resort, the internet. Otherwise you wouldn't be on PC, am I wrong? Tell me if I'm wrong. Because you wouldn't be here if you didn't like it, and if you don't, than why are you still here?
        This girl was pushed not only to the edge, but far beyond anything people could have imagine. Her life was shattered, her respect lost, she had nothing.
        Understand however, that I am not standing by the idea of suicide, but you do not have the right to call her week for doing what she did. She's dead you cold being, show some emotion.
      • So you were able to deal with being bullied, so what? Do you not understand that people have different levels of emotional attachments and reactions? One person might laugh at being bullied because they see that bullies have no life, and others might just break into pieces. You are not to judge. The way people react to things is determined by the many experiences they have had through their lives, and by the methods of reinforcement and punishment that they were given throughout their nourishment, that taught them or at least gave them a way to deal with things.
    • What those people did to this girl sickens me. It disgusts me to even think that such people exist and I am in such rage right now...
      I'll hold off on that so I don't snap, but how can someone be so inhumane and cold? They say she was a ****? Well what does that make them for pushing her beyond the edge of suicide? How can they allow themselves to continue bullying her and picking on her even after she first attempted suicide?
      More to that, how does that make you any better than her, that you are scolding a young girl who has lost her life? What you're doing in this thread serves no point or purpose other than provoking people and dishonoring a human you have never met.

You all disgust me. That girl and boy and those who are bullied to that extreme deserve your pity, not your judgement.
    Thank you good sir. Just, thank you.

You have summarized up all my thoughts.

To be honest, it's really sad that these people had nothing better to do than antagonize her. And after she attempted to kill herself the first time and failed, they only pressed on. In my opinion, all those people that kept pressuring her and making her go farther into the pit she was already in are sick-minded individuals. Who in their right mind would pressure someone, especially after committing suicide? I cannot begin to fathom how people can do these kinds of things.

And how about after she died? I've seen so many images of people drinking bleach with straws on Facebook that it's not funny, not that it was funny to start with. And to hear on the news that people are happy she died? Like come on. Get a life. Get outside, talk with people, and stop antagonizing people, especially the families of the deceased. It won't get you anywhere in life. If anything, it'll set you back.

If I were to sum my entire thoughts up, this would be the post for me.

Finally, that video made me cry. I'm not ashamed to admit it, but it is so sad that someone could be treated as such, and even sadder that they lost their life before justice was served.
    I hope they find the b****rd who originally did this and all of those who helped along the way, and friggin burn them at the stake.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back