• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Losing touch with Pokemon...?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Well...I started of thinking that pok?mon was just weird. That is, until a friend of mine let me play on his copy of Pok?mon Blue. The graphics were horrible and the game speed sluggish of course, but it was still enough to get me to nag my parents into letting me get my own copy of pok?mon Red. (Because I already favoured Fire types over Water types and there was this neat Charizard on the cover so I kind of figured...) Anyway, I soon got into the Trading Card game as well (Still got a good bunch of them, played against Arty yesterday and beat him every time. Arty, if you're reading this let me tell you something; your deck seriously needs rethinking. XP). Anyway, then the 2nd generation games came along and I was hooked once more.

Then came a low point, the popularity of pok?mon around here died down quite a bit and those of us who still liked it went into hiding to avoid getting laughed out by the ignorant masses. There were no new games in sight and I gradually drifted away from Pok?mon and towards RPGs like the Baldur's Gate and Final Fantasy series. However, one day when I came home from school I found Arty playing Pok?mon Ruby on his brand new GBA and...well, I think you can guess what happened. XD

Well, I made my way through Ruby, more or less, and was getting kind of bored again when I caught Arty messing about with some game sprites, making fusions and such. It looke fun so I started doing that as well and when I had completed a few Arty suggested that I'd post them at...you guessed it, PC. He had his own sprite shop over at the Art Gallery at that time and I was allowed to take some of the requests as well. Well, bussiness was pretty slow, so I started poking around the other threads; First the GB strategies and Movesets and finally the RP thread. Once I had gotten myself signed up for my few first RPs and started posting into them I was hooked for good...which leads me to where I am now. ^^

So yeah, I think that a liking for pok?mon, or any other thing really, can have its downpoints and still rise up again, strong as ever. I know it did for me...^^

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Well just like ego I started of thinking pokemon was just weird, but when I saw my friends play their copys of pokemon blue and red and showing of their trading cards I began watching the anime pretty soon after that I got my copy of pokemon blue at that point I didn't understand much english, but I still enjoyed playing the game and it actually thought me the bases of english and after that my interest for pokemon began slowly fading away I was still a pokemon fan, but only part time (unlike now right now I'm a whole time poke maniac and proud of it), but when I got my pokemon ruby my interest for pokemon was rekindled and one faithful day I stumbled across the pokecommunity I started of just checking out the hacks showcase then I decided to join to tell blueguy (unfortunately he has canceled his hack and apparently quite the pokecommunity) how much I admired his work, then I decided to check out the rest of the forums and now I got more than 1000 post s :D. I have to admit I pretty much lost my interest for pokemon, but once I joined the pc my interest for pokemon began rising and now my interest for pokemon is higher than ever and it's still rising.
    And ego about the tcg thingy could your 'naughty magmar deck' against my grass psychic deck have something to do with me loosing all the time? Even the coin was against me somehow you always managed to get heads while I always got tails if I remember right I got only 5 heads yesterday and you got about 7 tails.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Don't be a sore looser Arty, my deck was half-fighting as I'm sure you will recall so the type disadvantages evened each other out, and there seemed to be no end of heads for you when your Oddish trashed my Magmar.-_- Plus, I had like 4 Charmeleons in my deck and they were about the toughest fire types I had whereas you, in case I need to remind you, have a Venusaur and several other tough pok?mon in yours. But really, let's not turn this into a TCG debate, alright? Can't help it if I always win, can I?

Oh, and people. Don't even ask why it's called the 'Naughty Magmar Deck'

Trust me, you're better of not knowing.

Last edited:

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Uh-oh! Sibling rivalry!!! XD

For me, the biggest and enduring appeal to Pokemon has got to be the pokemon themselves. I am a big lover of animals, and the interesting style and designs of the pokemon keep me interested. I love drawing them, and I love making up personalities for them (hence why I like the RPs).

When I first heard of pokemon, it was because my brother and I read about it in the Nintendo Power magazine. I didn't like it because I thought it looked awful to put such cute creatures in fights with one another (see? Animal lover through and through).

However, it was watching the anime that got me hooked on it. I think the episode I actually watched full through was "Holy Matrimony!", the one with James' fiancee. Probably why I like that guy *look at my sig*. ^___^

I get pretty obsessive about the stuff I like. You should see my room... pokemon, Harry Potter, Yugioh, Mulan (my favorite Disney movie) and Digimon. I swear, my room looks like a ten-year-old's room. -_- I bought stickers, the movies, toys, the figures, candy, that really awful tasting gum, the TCG, anything and everything pokemon. Anyway, yeah, I liked it a whole bunch all the way until...

Johto, and then AG. Um, Misty was my favorite character, and taking her away was a BIG turn-off. I'm a bit better about it now though, and the show's okay. Not to mention that the show began to have cookie-cutter episodes about stupid trainers with pokemon problems. If I have to hear about one more kid who is 'afraid of pokemon' or something I'm gonna barf.

Anyway, the show's alright, but I still love to RP and draw, and talk about the anime and how it has its problems and good things.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2005
    1997 (somewhere around that time): I live in Saudi Arabia...friends there are obsessed with Pokemon and bought tapes all the way from America. One day I go there, and start watching the tapes.

Me and my older sister go to their house to sleep over. We have watched Pokemon before, and like it mildly. Then at like midnight, I start watching the many Pokemon tapes they have, and instantly get hooked. Both of us literally stay up the whole night with out even noticing, watching Pokemon.

After that, whenever we go over to their house, which is almost everyday, we play Pokemon Colliseum, on their Nintedo 64, and Pokemon Snap!. We absolutely love both of those games, and play them almost the whole time were there.

Then, for the rest of the years I lived in Saudi Arabia, I was obsessed with Pokemon...

2000: I move to America, and get in to Dragonball Z and forget about Pokemon...

I have no idea what year, or if it was the same year, but I shortly start remembering Pokemon again and start watching...

2003: We take a 3 week trip to Saudi Arabia, and my father buys me and my brother a Game Boy. The same day he buys us a GameBoy, he buys us each our first Pokemon Game. ((I think I got Red and my brother got Blue))

2004: We buy a GameBoy Advance, and buy Pokemon Saphire.

2005: I get less interested in Pokemon, mainly because the new episodes they are making are crap. But I still like to right Pokemon Fan Fics, look at Pokemon Websites, watch the older episodes, and go on Forums.

Years
    I'm not really too much into pokemon anymore, unless we involve cute little pikachus...nihihihihihihihihi... Also, I like going around the pokecommunity, since pokemon's not the only topic. I'm still a slight bit into pokemon, but now I'm more into things like ed edd n eddy, bro town, and lilo and stitch the series.

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
    I remember when i first saw pokemon.I remember how all the boys in my first grade class talked about it.i really hated the show,everyone BUT jigglypuff.But as i grew older and discovered other things about it,i statred to grow to like it.The anime was getting really sucky for me for 2 reasons really:They took out Misty,my first favorite pokemon trainer.thoigh i like May,i'm a bigger Blue fan,ya know.

most episodes dealt with the gang helping other people.it becomes very repetitive.The only thing in the anime i really like is the gym battles cuz i like the gym leaders.i lost interest in the anime after Johto because of what i said above.However,i do watch it from time to time only to watch the battles,and to see if FR/LG girl will ever be made into a character on tv.I still however love pokemon manga,and games and TCG^^so i don't hate it,it's just so repetitive it's annoying.

despite all i said,i will always like pokemon no matter unpopular it might be.why?because this series has suffered a little too much.I personally don't like Yu-Gi-oh alot,but i do like it.but it's nobody's fault that Pokemon is not as popular as it used to be.it's just getting sort of old,and i'll like it like i like Ranma,who's been around since the 80's.I will stand for Pokemon,and that's all i can say,and i'll never grow old of it^^

Years
    Cool thread! yeah, ok, heres my list lol , (not exact, i think )
    1998- watched pokemon the first time, kinda liked it
    1999 ( 2000 ) got pokemon yellow- hooked like crazy =3
    2000 - got gold, hooked again
    2001 - got pokemon crystal, still love it this very day - just got back into the anime
    2002 - totally went off pokemon anime, and the games a bit as well
    2003- got pokemon Ruby , loved it, got back into anime a lil as well
    2004- got Fire red, loved the games, hated the anime
    2005- meh, need xd, i still like fire red... i dont like the anime ( cept chronicles a little though ) ..diamond and pearl better be werth it, new pokemon seem ok
    .... though i have better things to do --__--

MistMermaid

Digimon is better!
    Years
    umm u r right i didnt like pokemon all over me life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NiNGi's Worst Nightmare

*sparkle sparkle*
    Years
    Can't remember the years, but I still love it as much as I did when I got my Blue version years ago. Slowly, my love for the games increased, and my love for the cards and anime decreased. Now I don't have a single card and I will ocassionally watch the anime.

Slowly, my favorite Pokemon changed from Bulbasaur to Tauros, Eevee, and Altaria. Strange, huh?

Years
    Tauros and Eevee, not so much, because they do have a male appeal or a cool appeal in Eevee's case. Now the Altaria makes me wonder and arched an eyebrow as that's not a typical Pokemon a male could like.

May I ask how you came to that conclusion?

Shining Lericon

Postcount isn't everything
    Years
    I'm not sure if this is correct(especially the earlier dates before mid-2003), but it's close:

1998(Age 7): Pokemon comes out. I am intrigued by Pokemon, and it stays that way for a few years.
    About 2001(Age 10): I begin to lose interest in Pokemon.
    2003(Ages 11 and 12): I begin to regain interest in Pokemon.
    Mid-Late 2003(Age 12): I get Pokemon Ruby.
    2004(Ages 12 and 13): I get interested in Pokemon NetBattle, EV Training, IVs, and Natures. I get Pokemon Colosseum and FireRed version.
    Early-Mid 2005(Ages 13 and 14): My interest in the Pokemon Anime decreases. I get Pokemon Emerald Version. I quit Pokemon NetBattle.
    Present(Late 2005, age 14): I play the Pokemon video games sometimes. I sometimes go on Pokemon NetBattle.

Ziggy

Gaming 24/7 < (very true)
    Years
    I have always loved as soon as it came out in England my dad bought it (yes my dad and he still plays it *slaps head* such an embarisment) then I got it the week later and well ..... eversince really I'm 14 now and I think I'll always be playing the game and I will alwasys openally say I love smeargle in the middle of town!!

Onslaught

The Uncanny Onslaught
    Years
    I started playing it at my friends house, and I got hooked. I was so hooked, he actually had to hide his gameboy after a few weeks or so.

Later that month, after a few complications, I finally got my own Gameboy and PKMN blue (he had red). At the same time I went out and got a link cable, and I beat the game in 1 week :P

Later, I would cetch all 151 (mew) and me and my friend would form our own pokemon team.. we called ourselves the "MEW-TWO" (TM) !! (Seeing as how there are 2 of us) ...
    We than made our own trainer cards, and I was the expert in water pkmn, and he; the expert in grass!! (even more so now than ever -_-; )

After countless victories and battles, I was at the peak of performance. My team was indestructable... and nothing could faulter my path towards righteousness! I was an avid/crazy pkmn fan all through out the 6th grade, and on until sophmore in highschool.

My time came though on the day of defeat. I was in the 8th grade, and I still had my lvl 99 mew... which I didnt play with a whole lot. My friend and I decided that I could just use the "clone hack", and clone him a copy of mew.. so we started. After the process was complete... the words "All Current Data Lost!" appeared.......... !!!!

All of my hard work, the blood sweat and tears.. and the months and years I had spent.. all gone....

I even had Missing.no captured, and was contained in one of my boxes securely without any glitches or problems following it's capture. (Although there was one thing that would happen, my "trophy room", which showed the last victory pkmn of the elite 4 battle, would play this really eerie music, really high pitched and odd). But all in all, the missingno was level 142.. so who could blame me :P ... plus, sometimes it would turn into a poke-ball.. and other times, a rattata..

a few days later his data was lost as well.. the traveling virus would not give in to conformity!

well anyways, thats when I was dropped from a POKe-PROF... TO A GIRL-SCOUT LAS!!!

:sleeping:

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    I'm as obsessed as ever. The interest fades a bit after you beat a game and have nothing more to do, but as soon as there's a new game it rushes right up again. And I'm always into writing my fic.

I'll be a Pok?mon fan for life. I've put too much effort into my site, my fic and my games to just lose interest in it.

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
    1998: i hear of pokemon for the first time and i am a non-believer.2 weeks later i play blue version on my friend's gameboy and i love it.finally get red version and a gameboy and start playing like mad, after that I am obsessed with everything pokemon.

2000: I get silver version and I'm loving pokemon even more. the anime is still alive and kickin in my heart.at that point my brother is also hooked.

2003: I get my hands on Ruby and my love for pokemon games is as high as ever but i am starting to lose interest in everything else

2004: I get Fire Red at Wal-Mart the first day it comes out and start playing right away, still love the games but anime is pretty much over for me except on rare occasions.

2005: I get Minish Cap and Resident Evil 4 and Pokemon takes a direct hit to its playing time.

Present day: Pokemon love is starting to rekindle and can't wait for Diamond/Pearl to come out.

Back