• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lying to your parents

Neutral

Resident Pirate
Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    We've all done it and there's no shame in admitting it. The real question is why we do it and for what reasons? Are we to be blamed for lying to our parents? Are there certain situations where we should lie to them? If we get caught, should we be upset even though we lied?

Just recently I had a friend speak about her sister and the fact that she lies to her mom. She created a facebook page and kept it a secret just so her mom wouldn't know about it. The irony of it all is that her mom even asked her if she wanted to make a facebook account (note: the mom has one herself) and the daughter told her no, even though she already had one.

Well, eventually someone found out and told her mom about it. My friend's sister ended up getting in trouble for lying and keeping it secret, while in the end she was angry at her mom. I mean, why? She lied about it, her mom even offered, and she said no. Does she have a right to be angry? To me, I wouldn't say so, especially since her mom offered. This is just one of her lies amongst many while growing up though.

I think the main reason is privacy. The daughter doesn't want the Mum keeping updates or having the ability to get into her facebook.
    I would never add my family or parents if I had one for the same reason. Thankfully mine repels technology.

I have lied to my parents before, not guilty about it either and I'd say the motive and nature of the lie imo matters more than the lying in itself.
    I rarely was a trouble girl but when I wanted to some freedom. I had to lie to get it because my parents are just too strict. I will always try to balance between what is expected of me and what I want to do.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If I were to get punched in the face every time that I told a white lie, I'd be dead by now.

Now, actual, hardcore "I didn't sleep with your girlfriend last night, I swear!" lies, that's.. something I don't often do. xD;

I think the worst way that I've ever lied to my mom, would be the typical:
    "Do you have a lot of homework to do tonight, honey?"
    "Nooo, mommm. ; ; "

& I am secretive to my family with a lot of things, but that's a trust issue, and not really 'lying'. :/

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2018
    I tell lies to my parents well it's more like not telling them stuf I don't know I don't tell them if I'm doing bad emotionally I don't like to trouble them I don't tell them someting that I thought would make them hate me like diffrences in belief and a big thing I won't tell them until I'm out of the house or on my death bed or if they catch me in it that's the one I dread and I don't tell them when I do something that could be illegal but everything else I tell them but I don't know if that balances it out though...

Years
  • Back in Elementary, I ALWAYS lied about EVERYTHING. Every time I came home from school, my mom would ask me, "were you good in school?", and I would always say yes, regardless of the fact that I'd get in trouble pretty much everyday. I remember even lying to get a game I really wanted (in specific, it was Kirby Tilt n' Tumble for the Game Boy Color x3). I told my mom I did good in school so she would take me out to get it. Ugh, I was just a bad kid. :x

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
  • For me... lying was a bit more than just trying to shield myself from possible consequences. Everything has a consequence that you can't always see, and I learned that early on, so that's not the reason I lied so much when I was younger. To me, lying became like a game of bluffs and tells (or whatever term works better here), a social challenge that actually played to my interests.

Even now I still lie, but more to probe for other's mind and behavior than anything. For protecting myself... I just tend to keep things to myself in the first place, or just give the necessary details. It's probably this behavior of mine that helped me learn how to imagine about what other people were thinking about, to a degree, and why I have an interest in psychology now.

[Also, enjoying reading what you all have down here for yourselves. :3]

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
  • I actually rarely ever lied to my parents, in fact I can't remember the last time I did! But yeah I did lie at least once.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • We have all lied yes that is true but some of us have reason's and some don't thou.Some times you may lie to cover up something you did wrong or some times you may lie to protect someone from finding something out.

I have lied mainly to cover up things i did wrong in the past thou XD

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • I used to not lie to my parents, then I reached puberty. When I lie to my parents, it usually something that involves me doing rebel stuff like telling them where am I, did I clean the room, am I using the computer, or stuff like that.

They're... harmless lie so I don't think that it matters but..

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I used to not lie to my parents, then I reached puberty. When I lie to my parents, it usually something that involves me doing rebel stuff like telling them where am I, did I clean the room, am I using the computer, or stuff like that.

They're... harmless lie so I don't think that it matters but..

Same here but then i just reached about age 16 and didn't care what my grandmother thought and did whatever i wanted basiclly.

G-Man

disGRUNTled
    Years
  • I used to lie to my parents a lot, mainly because, being Mexican, I'll get a physical punishment rather than a time out or whatever privileges revoked. Later on in my teens I stopped lying as much, and my parents pretty much let me learn from my mistakes. Last time I lied to them was when I said I was not joining the military. They though I went to college.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I lie about the odd thing, like homework (I never say I have it, I just do it when I feel like it or in school), and also slightly manipulate the truth so it sounds like I've got more friends than I have - but that's just to keep them from worrying. I think as long as the motive is acceptable, lying's not a problem.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • I lie to avoid getting in trouble from my parents... but another reason is because I get embarrassed pretty easily from my personal tastes. It's so bad it's almost like a complex.
    This.

Spoiler:

I truly could not agree more with this post. :D

I lie to my parents for a whole lot of reasons . . . most of which Vendak mentioned, and also because my parents really don't share my principles and thus wouldn't understand at all. Mostly I sneak things past my mother because of things she doesn't want me doing that I feel I have every right doing under my own consent.
    Welp, I can't help it, I have a bad relationship with my family that I probably couldn't fix if I needed to. :/

Oh, also, homework. :( That's the only thing I feel bad about lying about.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
  • I lie to my parents when I know the truth will upset them, and they don't want to hear it anyway. Everything is happier that way. ~_O

saint paxton

Wat it do baby boo~
    Years
  • If I lie to my parents, it's about school. I don't necessarily tell them everything, but not telling =/= lying.
    I don't really have a lot to lie about anymore, since they let me do what I do, and I let them do what they do. It's a nice little system. I lied to them a LOT as a kid, and probably up until I was about fifteen or sixteen.

I don't like to lie because I have a really hard time owning up to it.

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    To be particular, almost everyone lies, so I do admit that I lie. The reason that I lie sometimes is that I don't want any fight, trouble, or anything else that might harm and hurt my parents and love ones. I think that is the power of lying, to protect someone you love from negative emotions. But still, consequences....

Kurtroll

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    I lie to avoid conversation only. Which usually means I did something bad.

Don't talk to me, and I won't lie.

geox123

"Can go all night" Philosopher
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    This topic makes me want to write an essay on why this is ever justified, haha. But for the sake of brevity, I will say this: I lie to them because I know them. I know, or can at least make a very well educated and statistically felt guess at, how they will/would react if they knew the truth. It's sort of a double-edged sword really. I know that if they would ever object to anything, its for my own good. But then I find myself doing things because I want the experience. What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger :D

skyguard

Artist
    Years
  • Cracked did an article on evil baby behaviors, and number six on the list was lying. The article explains that babies will cry in order to get attention and even briefly pause to see if anyone is listening. My view on lying to parents, is that, if some problem is actually serious enough for you to consider lying, (unlike those fake baby tears.) then do it. But only if you have to.

Back