• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
  • Haha, fine. We'll stop with the onii-sama talk.

Plus, new episode won't come out 'til tomorrow (or at least midnight in my timezone), so we really don't have anything to discuss, excluding those LN readers. Which I am not.

Anyway, I haven't posted anything about this episode since I am a bit busy this week (and I'll probably skip this week's 'til next week for the same reason). So...

So many magic explainations. That's all.

But they did touch a bit about our OP protagonist's Rank-A destruction spells.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • We can speculate, can't we? Let's talk about the Suzaku guy. We can talk about him. I want to see him kick some ass and show us how much of a stu he is. He can't defeat Tats in the stu department, obviously, but some gary-stuness from someone other than Tats or the first high students (seriously, look at their sports performances holy crap) would be a good change of pace.

Also, this series as a whole - I have no idea where it is headed. First it was a terrorist attack of some sorts. And now we've got games and stuff. Wonder when we'll get to the real meat of the story/the stuff I'm looking forward to the most - Tats' past.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Episode 12. 90% Explanation, 5% Tatsuya making girls swoon over him, 4% Action, and 1% onii-sama.

Ah, it was a decent episode. iirc they did get the visual on how Active Air Mine works correct, so that's great job on Madhouse. Leo got a buffed with his dumb looking sword LOL. When I first got to this part in the LN, the illustration for it made me chuckle a bit because how goofy it looked. Seeing it in action, made me laugh harder than I wanted to.

Arc

Years
  • Finally an episode that is Mahouka-tier =D
    (Despite Onii-sama percentage being low...)
    The only episode so far that I can say that Madhouse did a good job on. (honestly, I would be perfectly fine if we only got one or two onii-sama each episode. lol)

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • So many? Where? I haven't seen anything...

With me being the ridiculously tired person I am right now and going to be this week, my brain couldn't really process the episode effectively. So I perceive a lot as explanations. :'D

Episode 12. 90% Explanation, 5% Tatsuya making girls swoon over him, 4% Action, and 1% onii-sama.

That's a really normal statistic for anything Mahouka. P:

Years
  • Slow episode.

The explanations do illuminate what is happening, but it feels like an engineering class or something. I think most people watch anime for the action? More show, less tell?

While it is appropriate for the LN format, it doesn't really transition to the anime that well.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I don't even think it's particularly appropriate in a light novel, it's almost like the author is jamming excerpts from in-universe textbooks instead of having the information be conveyed in a more natural format. I understand that a lot of the stuff we are seeing are unique techniques that characters aren't familiar with, but there has to be a more natural way of explaining them that doesn't involve 1-5 minutes of exposition when they crop up.

And I'm saying this as someone who loves learning the rules of magic systems and crap. Mahouka has just managed to do so in the most boring way possible.

Arc

Years
  • Trust me when I say this. Surprisingly, Mahouka works much better in a light novel format. Does the author jam in terms here and there? Of course, there is no denying that. But usually, there will be another paragraph or blurb that has no bearing to the plot to explain what the term means, then it jumps straight back into the story. I know it sounds weird since it's technically jumping around from plot to explanation and then back to plot, but it's more natural than you would think. Of course, this only works in the light novels because it would be rather awkward and mind-numbingly boring for Tatsuya or an unnamed narrator to explain something off to the side in the anime.

The author did put a lot of thought in how the magic system works, and it's conveyed relatively well in the light novel. But the problem with it, is that it doesn't translate well into an anime format, since you can't cram all of that information into an episode without turning it into an even bigger info dump that it already is. It doesn't help that Madhouse is taking liberties in cutting some extra material out, so any misconceptions with about the magic system may stem from the fact that anime is simply not covering them well or not at all.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • The only episode so far that I can say that Madhouse did a good job on. (honestly, I would be perfectly fine if we only got one or two onii-sama each episode. lol)
    Trust me when I say this. Surprisingly, Mahouka works much better in a light novel format. Does the author jam in terms here and there? Of course, there is no denying that. But usually, there will be another paragraph or blurb that has no bearing to the plot to explain what the term means, then it jumps straight back into the story. I know it sounds weird since it's technically jumping around from plot to explanation and then back to plot, but it's more natural than you would think. Of course, this only works in the light novels because it would be rather awkward and mind-numbingly boring for Tatsuya or an unnamed narrator to explain something off to the side in the anime.

The author did put a lot of thought in how the magic system works, and it's conveyed relatively well in the light novel. But the problem with it, is that it doesn't translate well into an anime format, since you can't cram all of that information into an episode without turning it into an even bigger info dump that it already is. It doesn't help that Madhouse is taking liberties in cutting some extra material out, so any misconceptions with about the magic system may stem from the fact that anime is simply not covering them well or not at all.
    This guy here knows what he's talking about.
    Almost as much as me.

And I'm saying this as someone who loves learning the rules of magic systems and crap. Mahouka has just managed to do so in the most boring way possible.
    You should read the few bits of LN before saying it.
    It might apply to anime but not to LN.

But it may seem that way because we were getting Systematic magic for the most case... Non-Systematic magic is more interesting.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • And another episode!
    MOAR ONII-SAMA! Finally! :D
    It's been too long... one episode too long =D
    And more Tatsuya harem.

Spoiler:

Arc

Years
  • Episode 13. 99% of girls swooning over Tatsuya. 1% of everything else.

Honestly, I don't have much to say. The whole episode was just building up Tatsuya and having the glorious Kirito Suzaku grace us with this presence with his lover best friend. Also, did I ever mention how I disliked Miyuki? LOL. I think this was around the time in the LN were she started to really agitate me.

Morisaki is the best comedy relief though.

Back