• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfisher309

I lurrve zubat =D
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    Random maps

Hack : None, Game crashes when played, just use tiles for mapping reallly to help train myself so i can maybe be a mapper for someones hack.

Heres just the first few and the put together, i also have not put the next 2 or 3 maps on that go with them on another file as you probably wont be able to make out its detail its so big, I havnt checked them over, after constructive critism here guys. What needs to change or improving?

I will post the next few maps tonight.

Thanks.

Years
  • Map Name: ENCELIA CITY
    Hack: Pokémon Kyanpu
    ROM: FireRed
    Comments: I know that there is only one entrance/exit, but that's where my alpha ends. The bottom would normally be the exit. Please don't deduce points for that.

Spoiler:

Anyone to rate this for me... Please?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @ Master of Puppets (Cave map)

I don't see what others apparently see when looking at this map, you have used far too many colours (in shades which are too bright); I think the big rocks should be confined to one colour and keep the other 'special' rocks, except the ones that are on cliff edges. Also don't get why there appears to be blue sand. If I block out the tiles and look at the shape then it gets better, it looks quite natural.

Tile errors that need fixing: The Ladder on the yellow sand has a blue edge. Rocks on the edge should be removed or altered.

5/10

Edit: To which ever smartass left a reputation comment, I am not rating the tiles - I am pointing out tile errors and miss-use of tiles, which both make a map worse.

And I don't bum popular people and say a map is great when its clearly not.

@Spherical Ice

You have tree shadows right, however there is still far too much organisation, too many exact rows of trees. Solution: Block edit some diagonal joins for the big trees to layer them in weird (random) ways. You could also add more small trees, and remove that random bush thing (its way too straight!)

All the houses are the same!! Try varying where the door is, or introduce another house type.

The paths also look too uniform, maybe break part of it off and make some of the 'branches' off the main path narrower.

Overall, 5/10 - But theres lots that can be easily improved.

Last edited:

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • Here's a map I made, I wanted to know what people think of my mapping skills :P

Map Name: -
    Map Game: Pokemon Fire Red
    Comments: -
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Rate Please :D

monkeyman2092

Aipom Awesome!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2009
    Random unplayable map :)

Rate!

Rating: 9/10

Suggestions: It's pretty good. I don't have any suggestions really, but it's certainly beatable. I used my eeys and found my way from the entrance to the house in the back.

Final Comments: Overall, an impressive map.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Here's a map I made, I wanted to know what people think of my mapping skills :P

Map Name: -
    Map Game: Pokemon Fire Red
    Comments: -
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Rate Please :D

Nice map,i like it.
    8/10

Hack : None, Game crashes when played, just use tiles for mapping reallly to help train myself so i can maybe be a mapper for someones hack.

Heres just the first few and the put together, i also have not put the next 2 or 3 maps on that go with them on another file as you probably wont be able to make out its detail its so big, I havnt checked them over, after constructive critism here guys. What needs to change or improving?

I will post the next few maps tonight.

Thanks.

These are amazing maps!
    They are all rated 10/10 by me.ALL OF THEM.

Map Name: Test town

Hack: Just a test XD

ROM: FireRed

Comments: I like the tiles :3​

98fx4j.jpg

please rate~​

Pretty nice map.I like your style! :D
    9/10

*1000 post!!! WOO HOO

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Hack: None, it's a test, again.
    Hack Of: Pokémon FireRed
    Map Name: Randomness Cave
    Credits: Eh, Nintendo?
    Comments: Just a test, to see how well I can map caves. It's my first ever cave xD. All the spaces would be taken up with trainers :O
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Hack: None, it's a test, again.
    Comments: Just a test, to see how well I can map caves. It's my first ever cave xD. All the spaces would be taken up with trainers :O
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Average map.Good,anyway.
    rating: 6.9/10
    the path is....weird.Try fixing it. ;)

kingfisher309

I lurrve zubat =D
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    Random maps again

Quick new map, only spent a lil while on

rate?

and heres my other one again for more ratings.

Thanks.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Hack: None, it's a test, again.
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:
    Well, at a first look, I think the cave looks good, pretty OK straight-forward for a short cave. I don't like the many straight diagonal walls, that looks very unnatural, and should be avoided. The same thing matters for the path. In-game, there would also be a lot of border-errors, which should... Also, be avoided. Even if the cave will never be played, the border should always be thought of. Also, the top-north part bugs me. Firstly, it seems to full of a whole lot of things, in big contrast to the rest of the cave. I don't like that. The wall in that area also seems very bad-placed, as it blocks the rest of the little room, in a way that really should be avoided. Especially since there's a sign... thing there. The wall also makes the path very narrow, it should be atleast two steps wide.
    Ok, sorry for the big critique over there, but everything can be improved. As I said at the top, I think the overall cave form and idea look good. And that's positive, right?

I'll not hang on to details, the rating will be... 6,5/10.

Even if there's gonna be space-fillin' trainers, a cave should always contain some rocks.
    Good for a first-time, though...
    Happy Hackin'!

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:
    This is really nice for a first attempt at a cave. But, in cave... aren't there more floors than just one? Try adding in another level, or throwing in a few indentations to give it a more 'cave like' feel to it. The path should be broken up in more parts, seeing as it's a cave, and I doubt there would be a solid path like that going through it. And why don't you have any rocks in there? Oh, and when playing the map (I know it's a test, but you should still try to avoid this) there will be border errors. Other than that, it's a pretty decent map.
    7/10

Average map.Good,anyway.
    rating: 6.9/10
    the path is....weird.Try fixing it. ;)
    It doesn't really help at all if you just throw in a number and give no reasoning behind it. 'How' can Alice fix up the pathway? 'What' else can Alice improve on for the future when mapping a cave?

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    This is really nice for a first attempt at a cave. But, in cave... aren't there more floors than just one? Try adding in another level, or throwing in a few indentations to give it a more 'cave like' feel to it. The path should be broken up in more parts, seeing as it's a cave, and I doubt there would be a solid path like that going through it. And why don't you have any rocks in there? Oh, and when playing the map (I know it's a test, but you should still try to avoid this) there will be border errors. Other than that, it's a pretty decent map.
    7/10

It doesn't really help at all if you just throw in a number and give no reasoning behind it. 'How' can Alice fix up the pathway? 'What' else can Alice improve on for the future when mapping a cave?

It's his way of spamming.

Map Name: Randaro Port
    Game: Ruby.
    Comments: I got bored, so I inserted these tiles and made a map.
    I might release the rom base.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

onyx79

Red Dead Revolver
    Years
  • It's is way of spamming.

mapzor.png
    wow nice map 8\10,looks very natural also,and I have a question,is that ship is an O\W sprite?

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    wow nice map 8\10,looks very natural also,and I have a question,is that ship is an O\W sprite?

Nup, it's a tile.
    I would've inserted it as a OW, but I'm lazy.

Edit: just so this isn't spam, I'll rate a map.

Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

It looks nice, but in the top left corner, you have that little pattern going on, a cave isn't like that.
    I also agree with Jake, the path should be broken up.
    6.4\q

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • It's his way of spamming.

Spoiler:
    The house with the brown roof shouldn't be stuck in the trees. Also in the big building. You need a few space.
    You did it again with the Pokecenter.
    Pokemart's okay. Remember that houses are 3D and they need their own space.
    I'll give you 6/10 for those ^^, and for some tree shading that is not correct.
    And, you used the same grass tile all over the place.

kingfisher309

I lurrve zubat =D
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    My Viridian remake

I made this from scratch, i did not, i repeat i did not just insert new tiles and make a few edits, i started from scratch, this is to show my skill at original remakes and my willingness to do maps and stick to there plan.

Rate?

maybe be a few out of place tiles sorry.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Actually, Since you only inserted new tiles, and then did Viridian City out of the original one (even if t's from scratch you still basicly copied and pasted), I'll say I'm not sure if that's even supposed to be called mappin'... I'll give it 2/10 for something that is very easy and also pointless.

kingfisher309

I lurrve zubat =D
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    -_- Some People...

Actually, Since you only inserted new tiles, and then did Viridian City out of the original one (even if t's from scratch you still basicly copied and pasted), I'll say I'm not sure if that's even supposed to be called mappin'... I'll give it 2/10 for something that is very easy and also pointless.

OK lets get this straight, I did not do it to show mapping skill as it doesnt really require any, i just did it to show people that im willing to make maps, redesign maps etc. And to show people im a potentially good member for a hack.

Of course it requires no skill, if you wanna see a map that requires skill check my album on my profile. OR some of the attatchemnts.

And another thing, i didnt insert the tiles, it was a ROM base and the ROM base has already over wrote that map, so i had to resize it, clear it all and make it grass and start from scratch.

And yes it was an allowed ROM base, i was given it WITH permission so dont even go down that road.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back