• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2010
    Map name: The Mansion
    Mapped on: Fire Red
    Information: This is supposed to be kind like a (mafia/criminal) base and as a starter map..
    The palettes have to be dark because you will be playing the whole game in the dark ;)
    And please do not steal palette, worked pretty hard on them..
    Spoiler:

I give it a 8.5/10, I think it looks pretty good, I really like the path, I like how you used two types of trees, maybe a third would make it look a bit more "natural" but I also like the building, it looks like a five star hotel to me. I like how there are spaces inbetween all the trees, that you can't actually get too, it adds to the natural look... Great job, can't wait to play it.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I still need this rated
    Map Rating/Review Thread

It was only a few posts back be patent.

Right, In truth its not that good, the main area is very enpty, the edjes of the map are just begging for border errors, Im not to sure why there are stairs just randomly placed in the middle of the area, but they are not needed, unless they are surpost to go up the ledges, in which case remove them as they just dont look right, and the random hill at the right, looks very unatural like someone just droped it on the path, also the set of stairs going up it are not needed as the player can simply walk around it. All in all about 3/10

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • I still need this rated
    Map Rating/Review Thread

I know it's very generic, but this map is incredibly square. Try placing more trees to shape the map, rather than using the square boarder tiles. Also, the grass randomly all over the place looks a bit odd. grass randomly in patches = yes. Place it in patches randomly, not over the whole map. Also, flower placement is poor. I seem to say this every time, but look at sasquatchd00d's tutorial a few pages back. Basically, place the flowers touching indirectly, diagonally in clumps. This makes it look a lot more natural.
    Most importantly, sort out the tile error with the mountain and the random steps in the middle of the map. What is up with that, seriously? Also, what is that square patch of really green grass? Maybe add some more trees to flesh out the map, maybe some rocks, hedges and maybe even a path to add more playability.
    Overall, 3/10, but nothing that can't be worked with. It's a start.

I think you forgot to place the map XD

No. The map is on the other page. :P

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2010
    Map name: Caropy Town
    Credits: Punk rocker,Kyledove rom base
    Comments:Umm??none..
    Spoiler:

8/10 Very nice, looks very natural, except for the squareness of the cliffs. What is up with the grassless band in the upper left corner? Did they mow their lawn or something? The roof color could be switched up a bit for the houses, maybe two colors? I like how you have a bunch of bushes and small trees scattered around :D.

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • Map Un-named
    Map Base: Fire Red
    Comments: This is a sort of starter town. Please be honest and give any ideas on how to improove it.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

:)

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Map name: Caropy Town
    Credits: Punk rocker,Kyledove rom base
    Comments:Umm??none..
    Spoiler:
    No. That's just not it.
    1. Why did you put the first veritical row of trees?
    2. Bush-flower-flower-bush-flower-flower? No.
    3. Why make the map so big? So could make it 2 times smaller and it would still be able to have all the elements in it.
    4. The tree placement bothers me too, but that's not a big problem.
    So, I'd give you a fine 6/10

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • Map Un-named
    Map Base: Fire Red
    Comments: This is a sort of starter town. Please be honest and give any ideas on how to improove it.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

:)

hmm.... I don't really like the playability. get rid of the top left rock or tree. also it looks like you scattered a bunch of stuff on your map. (I don't really like the style of mapping >.>) Anyways 6 randomly placed trees, out of 10

>Dante<

Call me Steven
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 601
    Base: Emerald (BPEE)
    Autor: SteveN (>Dante<)
    Credits: >Dante<(myself), Ricc!, Derlo, Kyledove
    Comments: This is the first Route of the new version of my hack Pokèmon Crono.
    It's a Route of the region MIDAMOND, characterized by great forests and different kinds of pokemon.

(sorry if the image is JPG, but I had not the time to save it in another format..)

Spoiler:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 601
    Base: Emerald (BPEE)
    Autor: SteveN (>Dante<)
    Credits: >Dante<(myself), Ricc!, Derlo, Kyledove
    Comments: This is the first Route of the new version of my hack Pokèmon Crono.
    It's a Route of the region MIDAMOND, characterized by great forests and different kinds of pokemon.

(sorry if the image is JPG, but I had not the time to save it in another format..)

Spoiler:
    It's a quite big map.
    The is nothing that I dislike except for the tall grass placement.
    It could be a little more clumped... together, not just random.
    Also, the lake at the bottom... I don't like it being streached to the far left...
    But its a great map nonetheless! Can't wait to play it!
    8.5/10

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
  • Map Name: Felridge Interior
    Base: Fire Red BPRE
    Comments: One of my first few tries at cave mapping. I like to think I've developed my own style here. I'm not sure if I should do anything with the bottom right corner of the map because it's pretty empty there. I'd like some thorough feedback on this because I'm not really confident about mapping caves yet.

Map:
    Spoiler:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    I decided to do a map
    I'm no good at mapping tho
    But here I post one again
    Map Name: Mountain Climb
    Game: I do not know
    Credits: Codec
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    I decided to do a map
    I'm no good at mapping tho
    But here I post one again
    Map Name: Mountain Climb
    Game: I do not know
    Credits: Codec
    Map Rating/Review Thread

No, just... Before creating a new map, learn the mistakes you made!

Mountain: Too square and unnatural, as are the ledges, the ledge on the bottom mountain defies nature (a steep slop next to a small one... No...), stairs are not used like that either! The stairs in Ruby are only used for the mountain faces that face down, not other faces! Insert your own for that!

Trees: Placement is too square as well! And there are not enough trees either.

Grass Placement: You gain points for the mid section and the southernmost section. The bit above the big trees is kinda unnatural, as there is no spaces.

Lake, puddle: Too square, too small.

Block Border: There will be an error with this, as you can see it, and if you use the big tree border, which is common, it would look really wrong from the bottom (unless it connects with another map)

Overall grade: 4/10.

Map Name: Felridge Interior
    Base: Fire Red BPRE
    Comments: One of my first few tries at cave mapping. I like to think I've developed my own style here. I'm not sure if I should do anything with the bottom right corner of the map because it's pretty empty there. I'd like some thorough feedback on this because I'm not really confident about mapping caves yet.

Map:
    Spoiler:

This looks awesome!

Mountain/Wall shape: Overall, natural looking, it fits and looks like a cave.

Rocks: Just the right amount, but kinda placed in clumps. Try speading them out.

Sand: Well placed, if I say so. Near the walls, and looks good due to it. Perhaps more in the free space areas would help.

Free Space: There is a bit of free space, so... Well, not too much, but still there... Especially that ledge that has nothing on... Perhaps adding more there.

Other features: Nothing visibly wrong with it, but everything can be improved. Basically, what I said above.

8.7/10

Last edited:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • My first two maps

Map Name: Route 1 (remade)

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: This design is made to make the player go upwards harder and downwards easier. Also, it's the first map that I actually gave a try on. I'm going to use it in my hack.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Viridian Forest (remade)

Comments: My second map on the hack, its design is also made to make the player go upwards harder and downwards easier. There are a few blocks on top missing, but they're not important to include. It's just the buildings getting far off in order to hide the border...

Mapshot:
    (big one)
    Spoiler:

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 1 (remade)

Comments: This design is made to make the player go upwards harder and downwards easier. Also, it's the first map that I actually gave a try on. I'm going to use it in my hack.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: My second map on the hack, its design is also made to make the player go upwards harder and downwards easier. There are a few blocks on top missing, but they're not important to include. It's just the buildings getting far off in order to hide the border...

Mapshot:
    (big one)
    Spoiler:
    OK for both maps,they are clearly looks empty try adding more trees in it to make it look more natural looking.MOst of the arrangements in your maps are linear as you can see in the second map,the path and trees are all linear to each other.If you are trying to follow nintendo style its okae,but even though that is the cause,there is too many blank space here and there.i rate both maps 4/10.Hope you will improved on them,Good Luck

:.My Map.:
    NOw onto mine
    Name:Forest Of Death
    Hack:Era Of Darkness
    Credeit:To the owners of the tiles
    Comment:I don't know if this is good or bad that is why i post here for opinion.This map is used for my hack so no stealing.
    Spoiler:

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 1 (remade)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Mapshot:
    (big one)
    Spoiler:

I never rated a map before so here I go. D:

Map 1 - What's good about this map is that it has that Nintendo feel. Grass and paths were placed nicely. I recommend not using the skinny trees but that's just my personal preference. I would remove the hedges and place the flowers more closer to each others, just like in nature. Playability is good so...

8/10

Map 2 - I don't really like this map much. =O It turned Viridian Forest into a maze but with a lot of open areas, but I guess the maze part was intentional. Some parts, like the player walking in between two trees right next to him is odd. Also the question mark at the end was kind of pointless and just led to a huge open area.

Basically some areas are too tight and some areas are too open. A good mix would make this map better so...

6/10

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • My Edit of Route 101
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Credits: Punk Rocker and Kyledove

Hmm i like it as a map, but as a remake of route 101, it doesn't loo like it that much. There's too much grass where there would be none. Grass placement is good where it should be, but the placing of flowers should be more spread out then in a concentrated area at the top of the map. Another thing that is annoying is that changes over from one area to another, as the little tree making making it only one space of room to move over is bad and detracts rfom the map

Overall, I give it a 7/10.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back