• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Sorry but that map is terrible
    it's very unnatural and the map just looks.. Eww..
    sorry but i'd give it a 0.1/10

How would you feel if somebody rated your map the way you rated tinix's?

Name: Pallet gardens
    Game: Fire red
    Comments: It`s route from Pallet town to 9th gym which you can also see on the map

PS : Because im new here i was forced to post image as attachment

Why don't you look at some mapping tutorials?
    The flowers are overused. Red and/or blue spices up the map, but if it's overused, the player's eyes will go crazy...

Anyway, you should make wider paths so the player can have room to walk. Also, beware of squariness.

.LMG.

Yeah! Custom User Title!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Name: GECHO TOWN (New Home Town)
    Game: Pokemon Sacred Flame (Fire Red)
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comment away!

Although I did get a good rating on this... I would still like more than one person rating the map. Thanks

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Ok, i`ve totaly redone map so here it is
    game: Fire red
    Name: Pallet gardens (i`ll change it soon)

Phew , that IS a great improvement !
    The only bad thing abot it are the ledges from the water you have to cross at the beggining . They looke pretty weird . Tehe rest is great and no more squareness .

I'll give it 9.80/10

Also , can you post a picture of the cave you have to get through ? It'd be really interesting !

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • Phew , that IS a great improvement !
    The only bad thing abot it are the ledges from the water you have to cross at the beggining . They looke pretty weird . Tehe rest is great and no more squareness .

I'll give it 9.80/10

Also , can you post a picture of the cave you have to get through ? It'd be really interesting !

560, very inaccurate rating, there is a lot of squareness..
    Ok, i`ve totaly redone map so here it is
    game: Fire red
    Name: Pallet gardens (i`ll change it soon)

Hmm, It is like 560 said, an improvement, but still very very square, for the last one i wouldve given you 1/10, for this, 4/10, dont get me wrong, youve improved, but its still not that good. Try and fill more space with trees, and dont make it so square, ake it natural.

tinix

PearlShipper & C Programmer
    Years
  • Phew , that IS a great improvement !

I'll give it 9.80/10

I don`t have cave yet but i`ll start working on it shortly.

@.Tactic. I will try.

And thank you both

.LMG.

Yeah! Custom User Title!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comment: Don't worry about the trees along the edges that are cut in half. They are going to get connected later.
    EXAMPLE:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comment: Don't worry about the trees along the edges that are cut in half. They are going to get connected later.
    EXAMPLE:
    Spoiler:

I assume that this is one map.
    I'm not too fond of having grass on the cities/towns. It seems a weird.
    The frozen lakes look square, and they don't fit well with the natural mapping style, as well as the city path which is also square.
    To be frank, the way you place the trees seems repeative, thus boring.
    Also, I don't think I would enjoy playing on a white field without (at least) wild battles. If this was a drawing, that blank space would be perfect, but mapping isn't like drawing, you have to think what the player would like.
    How are you supposed to get passed through the second ice-puzzle?

Rating: 6/10

That was quite harsh.

.LMG.

Yeah! Custom User Title!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015

I assume that this is one map.
    I'm not too fond of having grass on the cities/towns. It seems a weird.
    The frozen lakes look square, and they don't fit well with the natural mapping style, as well as the city path which is also square.
    To be frank, the way you place the trees seems repeative, thus boring.
    Also, I don't think I would enjoy playing on a white field without (at least) wild battles. If this was a drawing, that blank space would be perfect, but mapping isn't like drawing, you have to think what the player would like.
    How are you supposed to get passed through the second ice-puzzle?

Rating: 6/10

That was quite harsh.
    This is supposed to be a very easy route to get through not a complicated route with those endless battles. The ice-puzzle is very simple IMO, but it will be blocked with the cuttable tree. Keep in mind that the town is a separate map. Thanks for the rating.

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
  • Name: TEAL TOWN (Hometown)
    Game: Aqua Sapphire (FireRed Base)

I had to attach my image because I haven't hit 15 posts yet, sorry. This is one of my better maps, but I feel like I still have quite a ways to go before being able to call myself a good mapper.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Map Name: N/A (The Second Town)
    Hack: Pokemon Aragonite
    Map Game: Leaf Green
    Comments: This is a small town, where the regions professor is located.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • @countryemo

No offense to you or your map, but your map is not good. It has a terrible basis. There is no border, no possible border block, and it is totally square.

The houses you used are ugly, especially when used in succesion. Also, your paths are totally straight and square and, honestly, scare me because of their ugliness.

Your water looks terrible and pointless, and the mountain with the sand is just plain ugly and destroys most of the map.

Your hedges and bushes are placed too evenly and in big rows. Your flowers are also placed in huge clumps which looks absolutely unnatural. The mailboxes are also completely disgusting because they are not even close to the houses.

Your rocks are ugly and placed wrong and there is totally way too much empty space in the map. There are almost 40 tiles of free grass.

I hate to be harsh but I have to give you 1/10. How about a 3/10 for trying? :)

@~Hot n' Cold~
    Here is my map. I tried out mapping in the water. I know that it totally sucks... please rate it though. I will repost it after some ratings for improvement.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Thanks for rating!

.LMG.

Yeah! Custom User Title!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    @countryemo

No offense to you or your map, but your map is not good. It has a terrible basis. There is no border, no possible border block, and it is totally square.

The houses you used are ugly, especially when used in succesion. Also, your paths are totally straight and square and, honestly, scare me because of their ugliness.

Your water looks terrible and pointless, and the mountain with the sand is just plain ugly and destroys most of the map.

Your hedges and bushes are placed too evenly and in big rows. Your flowers are also placed in huge clumps which looks absolutely unnatural. The mailboxes are also completely disgusting because they are not even close to the houses.

Your rocks are ugly and placed wrong and there is totally way too much empty space in the map. There are almost 40 tiles of free grass.

@~Hot n' Cold~
    Here is my map. I tried out mapping in the water. I know that it totally sucks... please rate it though. I will repost it after some ratings for improvement.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Thanks for rating!
    It's funny how people get so specific on a map's ugliness. Hedges and bushes get manipulated by humans... so I don't think they can be "too" even. Another thing, the mailboxes are fine the way they are. Either you have something against this guy, or your just in a bad mood. The little happy face at the end confuses me.

Anyways... your map is cool but I feel that the little ridge at the bottom of the map is pointless. It also looks like there's no way to get passed the house in the middle. Widen the map a little so the player can get to the other side. Also, that rock-like-figure next to the pokemart is very... odd. I don't think its necessary unless its an event.

Rating 5/10

pr0udy

Wannabe Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2020
    Hooray for n00bish edits!

Map Name: Pewter... Desert?

Map Game: FireRed

Comments: Obviously this is just an edit of FR/LG's Pewter city. I know it's kinda bland, to say the least, but I wasn't sure what else to add besides LOL MOAR ROCKS.

TheRichar

Check my Thread :3
    Years
  • Map Name: N/A (The Second Town)
    Hack: Pokemon Aragonite
    Map Game: Leaf Green
    Comments: This is a small town, where the regions professor is located.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

hmm... maybe, try looking at other maps, there are a lot of resources you can use, and, sorry but hot and cold is right, it looks to square, finally the right bottom seems to cold, I mean, at the left bottom corner is full of flowers but at the other corner is plain, I'll give it a 5/10 maybe :)
    Don't worry with some effort it will look awsome :D

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
  • Bumping up my first map that never got rated, and posting a new one.

Game: Pokemon Aqua Sapphire (FireRed)
    Maps: Teal Town (first town), Route 49 (first route)

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • @countryemo

@~Hot n' Cold~

Map Rating/Review Thread

Thanks for rating!
    Can I get a rating from somebody who doesn't complain the whole time about my previous rating?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @~Hot n' Cold~

Pros:
    -Arrangement of trees is generally quite good.
    -Water shape.
    -Mountain shape.
    -I like the quirky back-exit from the mart.

Cons:
    -Too many signs! 3 Metal signs and 3 Postboxes, it could do with one or two less if they aren't absolutely necessary.
    -Little trees look awkward, those trees are made to be 3 tiles for a reason.
    -There is no way to get from the top half to the bottom half?
    -Some tile errors where the tree-tops meet the mountain (e.g. the tree that covers the bottom ledge corner on the left side).
    -Lack of paths, it could do with some between the buildings to make it look more like a town/village.
    -Border error at the top of the map, this can easily be fixed by making the map about 4-5 squares taller and filling in the top a bit.

Total rating: 5/10 6/10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back