• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JY

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2015
    Spoiler:

The building sticks out a bit, and the pier doesn't fit in. I reckon the HGSS grass would look good here, as the RSE grass stands out too much. And maybe add another random patch of water, so it doesnt stand out so much.

Rating 8/10

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
  • Spoiler:

The building sticks out a bit, and the pier doesn't fit in. I reckon the HGSS grass would look good here, as the RSE grass stands out too much. And maybe add another random patch of water, so it doesnt stand out so much.

Rating 8/10

thanx for rating :)

but in fact when you are rating the tiles come only at the end or maybe even not at all, what's important is the map itself, you nearly only rated the tiles, but well not grave^^
    if not I got my own HG/SS stylr grass tile I made, then water is no problem in 2 seconds I can do a completely new water tile ^^, and the house I will also change, I will do a "mini" port instead of this house, and the pier I'm also working on a pier coz someone asked me to do a pier for him and I thaught I will also need new pier^^
    but as I said, tile rating is not the most important, you see I can anytime change tiles, create new ones, insert them and so on, and if I would do that I'm sure you would give me 10/10 with your way of rating, but I don't want that, I want only a rating of the map itself.......
    but well, thx anyway :)

I'd still like that someone else rates my map and ONLY MY MAP, NOT THE TILES!!
    ok? thx ^_^

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    I'm working on a Pokemon Battler System for my hack, CONTROLS: attack using the A,B, and select button. crouch with L, jump with R, and pause menu with Start, but need maps, so theese are those maps.

Controls included so you can understand how this is suppose to go, so i can get an accurate rating.

Map Rating/Review Thread

this is the grass battle map, for fields and forests

Map Rating/Review Thread

this is the water battle map, for oceans and lakes

EDIT:
    I forgot to upload this one

Map Rating/Review Thread

this is a mountain battle map, for mountains
    the tiles that are in the center will be edited to blend better, so don't vote off of that

EDIT: NEW

Map Rating/Review Thread

this is a cave battle map, for caves
    I'll upload more later

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Spoiler:

Yeah, litle something from Nirvana. I wasn't going to post anything else in this forum and I won't from now on. (Maybe Poshley Town)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Spoiler:

Yeah, litle something from Nirvana. I wasn't going to post anything else in this forum and I won't from now on. (Maybe Poshley Town)

For one, the grey shadows really annoy me, shadows are never grey they are just a darker colour to the normal (in this case any shadow on your grass should still be green.

There is a tile error on one of the trees (missing a side tile) and watch out on the right hand side as it would be easy to muck up the border there - which will be visable from that fenced off area which you can get into at the left.

There is a bit of one-tile walking space on the left side of the map which would look better a bit more open.

The paths in the map, although they are well shaped, seem to dominate - there are far too many and in illogical places (such as the one near the top left).

One problem I have about this map is it doesn't seem to have a direction. There are multiple paths to get to the same place and the map has absolutely no replayability.

Graphics: 8/10
    Playability: 7/10
    Error-free: 9/10

I'll give this map a total of 7.5/10. It's pretty but also rather boring.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    For one, the grey shadows really annoy me, shadows are never grey they are just a darker colour to the normal (in this case any shadow on your grass should still be green.

There is a tile error on one of the trees (missing a side tile) and watch out on the right hand side as it would be easy to muck up the border there - which will be visable from that fenced off area which you can get into at the left.

There is a bit of one-tile walking space on the left side of the map which would look better a bit more open.

The paths in the map, although they are well shaped, seem to dominate - there are far too many and in illogical places (such as the one near the top left).

One problem I have about this map is it doesn't seem to have a direction. There are multiple paths to get to the same place and the map has absolutely no replayability.

Graphics: 8/10
    Playability: 7/10
    Error-free: 9/10

I'll give this map a total of 7.5/10. It's pretty but also rather boring.

Oh no. I posted the old version. I've fixed all the things you mentioned in your post.
    I wanted to ask, what do you mean replayability?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Oh no. I posted the old version. I've fixed all the things you mentioned in your post.
    I wanted to ask, what do you mean replayability?

I mean you can go through it once, but if you have to go through it again it's very boring as it's a straight path back down. The surfing area doesn't stop you getting anywhere as you can just use the stairs etc.etc.

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    I'm working on a Pokemon Battler System for my hack, CONTROLS: attack using the A,B, and select button. crouch with L, jump with R, and pause menu with Start, but need maps, so theese are those maps.

Controls included so you can understand how this is suppose to go, so i can get an accurate rating.
    Spoiler:

I'll upload more later
    That's a cool idea, but maybe you could make the maps different from each other? Like, a gimmick? Right now it looks like the same map with different tiles.
    I can't find any tile errors, and your tree shading is good....
    So, really, I just want something different.
    3/5
    1+ Concept. (Does your map have something different then most maps? Does it have a gimmick or something?)
    1+ Tiles (Are your tiles placed correctly?)
    1+ Shading (Do your trees have proper shading?)
    0+ Natural Feeling (Is there a natural feel to it?)
    0+ Diversity (*Special Rating, can change on other ratings.* If you have multiple maps, do they look different?)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Spoiler:

Map name:Lust Tree Town
    Meant to be simple and nintendo,or gamefreak style.

Tree shading errors covering the entire map. Un-block edited Mailboxes.

The grey lab building doesn't match the bright houses. Bad pallette choice.

Other than that the mapping is simple and reasonably good.

6/10

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Spoiler:

I liiike. It's very pretty, the lake especially. The fact that there's an easy path through it appeals to me. I don't think players should be forced to wade through tall grass.

What I don't like is that some paths seem...redundant? There are basically two paths through the map, it seems to me. One is the high ground, straight up-and-down path. The second takes you through the lake. But there's this third path that crosses the horizontal bridge and doesn't actually lead anywhere. The bridge is very pretty there, but the path has no actual purpose. There's another spot like that above the lake. When the player is going down, they might be tempted to turn left around the log. But oops, that path doesn't take you anywhere. You might as well fill it up with trees.

If you were to keep the horizontal bridge, I think you should move the main path so it isn't vertical along the right-hand side but goes up, left, and up on the left-hand side. That would be a better use of space.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2010
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Map name:Lust Tree Town
    Meant to be simple and nintendo,or gamefreak style.

This is nice. I really like the houses, and it's definitely what you were going for in the first place. It seems to me that the shrubs are a bit TOO random, and it's a little bland structurally, but it's got great tiles.

8/10, overall.

Also, I thought about the stuff you guys said about my own map I posted here. It was definitely way too blank at times, so I went back and completely redid Wichita. So here's the two maps, the revamped Wichita, and the new Route 1.

Wichita

Map Rating/Review Thread

Route 1

Map Rating/Review Thread

Also, I saved them as PNG, but Photobucket uploaded them as JPG...? Any idea how to fix that?

Lastly, please criticize the mapping, not the tiles...I know that they're boring, but I'm trying to get the knack of inserting my own tiles atm.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Also, I saved them as PNG, but Photobucket uploaded them as JPG...? Any idea how to fix that?

Lastly, please criticize the mapping, not the tiles...I know that they're boring, but I'm trying to get the knack of inserting my own tiles atm.

Wichita - The layout of the town is appealing, the path has a nice shape, and you've used the ledges pretty well. The map, as a whole, looks good, but playing through it, you'll probably notice how much empty space there is. It's not a lot of fun to run through large, empty spaces. For example, giving the houses spacious back yards doesn't add much to a map when the player can't enter them, but the space they take up means it takes longer to run across town. There's a lot of space behind the top right house, and between the two rows of the houses. I feel everything could be condensed just a bit.

The stairs on the mountain side look like they make a really devilish maze. I really hate mazes, myself, so I hope there's a good reason behind it.

And...I think there's a tile error on the bottom side of the pier. It has a different water animation, or something like that.

Route 1 - Damn, I think this is the biggest Route 1 I've ever seen. The size bugs me. I always try to get through routes as quickly as possible. Because your route is linear, it doesn't allow any short cuts. It also looks the same all the way though, and it's quite wide. If you dropped me into the middle of it, I'd be lost. Again, the ledges are nice, but that's not enough to make a route interesting. I would narrow it considerably and scatter some trees throughout.

Hold on. What's up with that cave? It's unusual for a first route to have any forks in the road. Can the player access the cave when he/she first leaves Wichita? Does it lead anywhere? Maybe you should save the cave for a later route. I wouldn't give a new player very many choices. :P

-----

Photobucket automatically resizes images that are too large and converts them to jpg. You can tell it resized your Route 1 map. Upload your large maps to Tinypic instead - it doesn't have any size limits.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2010
    Wichita - The layout of the town is appealing, the path has a nice shape, and you've used the ledges pretty well. The map, as a whole, looks good, but playing through it, you'll probably notice how much empty space there is. It's not a lot of fun to run through large, empty spaces. For example, giving the houses spacious back yards doesn't add much to a map when the player can't enter them, but the space they take up means it takes longer to run across town. There's a lot of space behind the top right house, and between the two rows of the houses. I feel everything could be condensed just a bit.

The stairs on the mountain side look like they make a really devilish maze. I really hate mazes, myself, so I hope there's a good reason behind it.

And...I think there's a tile error on the bottom side of the pier. It has a different water animation, or something like that.

Route 1 - Damn, I think this is the biggest Route 1 I've ever seen. The size bugs me. I always try to get through routes as quickly as possible. Because your route is linear, it doesn't allow any short cuts. It also looks the same all the way though, and it's quite wide. If you dropped me into the middle of it, I'd be lost. Again, the ledges are nice, but that's not enough to make a route interesting. I would narrow it considerably and scatter some trees throughout.

Hold on. What's up with that cave? It's unusual for a first route to have any forks in the road. Can the player access the cave when he/she first leaves Wichita? Does it lead anywhere? Maybe you should save the cave for a later route. I wouldn't give a new player very many choices. :P

-----

Photobucket automatically resizes images that are too large and converts them to jpg. You can tell it resized your Route 1 map. Upload your large maps to Tinypic instead - it doesn't have any size limits.

Thanks for the massive crit. :P

There is a decent bunch of empty space, admittedly, but it's going to be a substantially bigger game, mapwise, than the original FireRed. I just tried to make it as realistic to a town while keeping the feel that the original games had (to a degree).

Thanks for mentioning the tile error; I didn't even pick that up.

And the mountain's purpose...it's definitely rather mazeish, and in the end, it leads you to a certain legendary Pokemon that I'll not mention, just for spoiler's sake. So yeah, there's a purpose, and it was just fun to map.

I totally get what you say about the Route, but again - I'm going for realism. This game is going to be fairly difficult - as in, not as easy-peezy as Nintendo and Gamefreak made it to become the Pokemon Champion. It's a hard route to get through, and it's understandably easy to get lost in it. But I'll definitely take your advice about the trees being placed, and try to get that sorted out.

The cave does, in fact, lead somewhere - spoiler alert, it's a shortcut to California. But there's going to be a tree in front that needs cut down first. Similarly, you won't be able to access the "maze" on the mountains much at first, since there will be smashable rocks in the way.

Thanks for the Tinypic advice, and again, for the crit! I'll keep your advice in mind when creating future maps. :D

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • Map Name: Route One
    Rom Base: Fire Red
    Hack: Souls of the Dark
    Comment:
    Okay, the first route in my hack, to the south lies a sea route to Caladan Island, to the east lies the peaceful Anbus City and to the west is Rossack City.

AWind13

I'm Procrastinating
    Years
  • Map Name: Route One
    Comment:
    Okay, the first route in my hack, to the south lies a sea route to Caladan Island, to the east lies the peaceful Anbus City and to the west is Rossack City.

I like the map, it's good for an actual game because of the fact that you'll encounter Wild Pokemon before moving on, but I see 1 tile error a little around the top-left, on those ridges that you jump over when it gets to the trees. Two of the same error, in fact. Either way, I still like the way of how you'll travel from one city to another.

Overall rating: 7/10

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Map Name: Route One
    Comment:
    Ok....
    It is very nice for a first route, with plenty of ledges for easy return, however something is bothering me.
    You see all that grass?
    Unless you have a low encounter ratios, that is way to much for a first route.
    I would suggest putting some holes in the grass so you don't have to go through that much grass.

And there is one thing wrong with a ledges.
    Up north you have to ledges, one facing right, and one facing down. You should connect them with a corner tile.
    Overall, it's not too bad.

4.5/5
    1+ Concept. (Does your map have something different then most maps? Does it have a gimmick or something?)
    .5+ Tiles (Are your tiles placed correctly?)
    1+ Shading (Do your trees have proper shading?)
    1+ Natural Feeling (Is there a natural feel to it?)
    1+ Nonlinear (Is the route linear, or not?)

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Spoiler:

Poshley Town, exclusive new tree, path made by me (based on the HGSS obviously), the Station tiles, and the University.
    Credits to: zein, Kyledove, Alucus

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Poshley Town, exclusive new tree, path made by me (based on the HGSS obviously), the Station tiles, and the University.
    Credits to: zein, Kyledove, Alucus
    I don't care what others think, but this map is wonderful. I like the placing of the flowers and I like that streets are straight as they should be. The lamposts are also nicley placed.
    btw Nice grass tile XD

The numerical rating is obvious.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back