• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Map name: Don't know yet was a random map...
    Made on: FR
    Credits: WesleyFG
    Comments: None
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Edit:
    There was something I didn't like about the map so I made some slight changes..
    Spoiler:

Rate please =3

Last edited:

Bolens

Soul Hacker
    Years
    • Age 30
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    This is just a simple route for an island I made. I really like this map, but I feel like something's missing. Please say your opinion about it.

Map Rating/Review Thread

The trees seem a little too fixed into place, meaning they need to have variety in layout. The flowers could be toned down a little(use less). The overall shape is nice, but usually maps do not follow a fixed course. If you want, throw in some turns here and there, just to keep the player aware. ;) Overall, really good.

Rating: 8.5/10

Years
    Map name: Don't know yet was a random map...
    Made on: FR
    Credits: WesleyFG
    Comments: None
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Edit:
    There was something I didn't like about the map so I made some slight changes..
    Spoiler:

Rate please =3

Made another edit x3
    Editted some tiles etc. also editted the a bit to make it connect bettter to the bottom map.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Here's my simple Route 101:

Spoiler:

Nothing special, just a beginning route. Start at the bottom; event and you're automatically teleported to next town. You then have to traverse from the top down, then back up again.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Made another edit x3
    Editted some tiles etc. also editted the a bit to make it connect bettter to the bottom map.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

The Bad:
    The houses would look better with normal doors not just... holes.
    Your trees need shadows.
    The water seems a bit random, honestly the map would look better without the random pools.
    Same with the ledges really.

The Good:
    Nice mountain shape.
    Good tree placement.
    Nice path shape (although the tiles make it look a bit odd).

Overall: 7/10, a nice little town.

--------------------------------

Wouldn't it be good if people rated when they posted their own map? :\ On the page before this there's like 5 maps in a row.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    Your tree shadows are all wrong, and the blue house has no windows (and the tileset does provide windows for it, top-right most portion of tileset 0). It's still too right-angly, try to make more interesting curves in your mountains and lake. There's a lot of wasted space over on the bottom left corner under the mountain. Fill it in or put something there. The space between the houses in the middle of the ridge they're sitting on is also a bit too empty. Fill it in with some foliage or something interesting. In my opinion, you're overdoing the flowers, but it's in a way that's at least acceptable, so I'll concede that. Signs in the middle of the road are generally not a good idea. Your stairs are only 1 tile wide. I'd expand it to two tiles. Take a look at some R/S/E maps for some more inspiration and methods to keep your map from looking soo... well, Nintendo-Firered-y.

4/10, but it is an improvement from your last one. Keep at it.

----

I have a map of my own. It's supposed to be an incredibly small town near the ocean. Admittedly, it is kind of cramped, but I decided to put some of the buildings on the route directly outside the town to give it a unique flavor and because one of the buildings was a large farm (and its land) that I decided didn't belong in the town itself. And there's no mart anywhere near this town, just a Berry Shop on the outskirts. In game, it doesn't seem as cramped because of what's right next to it on the adjacent route.

Name: Fragrant Town
    Base: Firered (With some R/S/E tiles imported, and custom tiles by yours truly.)

Map Rating/Review Thread

^I'm certainly happy with it, but I know it's not my best.

Considering changing the house color to a more pinkish color, or maybe a peach? Not sure. I do like the default Viridian green as it is though. Comments?

EDIT: Scratch the pink. Anything that fits with the town that isn't an orange, pink, white, or another type of green. Peach should still be different enough from orange though, right? I'd like some suggestions please. Maybe a blue? To bring the blue from the ocean in and balance out the map? ...This frustration is what I get for taking an art class... :P

I looove the quaint feel, and yeah it does'nt look too cramped. You've really captured the idea though, good work. I personally like the quaint feel :)

Also, I think the house looks good as it is.

Rating-8.5/10

The tree shape is the only thing i have a slight problem with, everything else is beautiful.

Spoiler:

Can i get this rated reviewed please?

I kinda got the idea from your map, although rather than quaint, the coastline is receding and the surf is really noisy and aggressive, Good place for a water gym eh?

Years
    An add-on to the safari zone.

As for whether this has a rom to go with - I am considering making a hack in the original region because I think that a lot of the new regions get a little boring, when a sort of time changed region could be more interesting.

rate?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    Spoiler:

Can i get this rated reviewed please?

I kinda got the idea from your map, although rather than quaint, the coastline is receding and the surf is really noisy and aggressive, Good place for a water gym eh?

I'm flattered!

Let's see... The fact that your water is incredibly empty sticks out immediately to me. Try to put some rocks near where the player can see them from the town, to add some variety. And maybe some dark spots (if R/S/E uses it like Fr/Lg does, I'm not sure). It's easy to overdo it though, so be careful, just balance it out, y'know? The tree south of your Pokemon Center has a tile error, as does the tree to the left of the northernmost house. I like how you separated the town with those fences. It's not so much that it impedes movement, but just enough to give it a more personal feel. I feel that not enough transitioning is made from the grassy area to the mountainy-bridge-to-Gym area. On the inaccessible mountains to the south of town, you may want to add some foliage to balance it out. I'm not quite sure though. Play with it a bit and see how it looks. The tiles directly behind the Gym are off. I'm not sure if R/S/E has a tile for it, but there should be a tile for where the grass ends at the top of the mountain. I don't like how the Gym sign is facing outward like that. It just looks a bit awkward, like it's facing away from where the player can read it. Try moving it in a bit. I also think you might be able to make the Gym island a bit more interesting. Maybe make it a little bigger and have the ocean cut into it some more. I mean, if the ocean is so rough in that area, that island wouldn't be all square-ly eroded, right? Mix it up a bit! I'm also concerned about the path to the island itself. I think it's great aesthetically, but I'm worried that if the player doesn't have a bike, they'll have to backtrack to go get one, and all just to battle a Gym. I would make whatever the bike event is in your hack mandatory to avoid that problem. Or, sadly, you could replace the path. I wouldn't, but it's up to you. I'm also not a fan of the default R/S/E houses, but that's more a pet-peeve of mine. Your tree placement is good, but there are no tree shadows. I'm not sure if your tileset has them, but if it does, use them.

Overall, I like the map and the concept.
    7/10

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Made another edit x3
    Map Rating/Review Thread

:0 Are those Zelda tiles I see? The town is super cute, but rather on the small side. The tall grass and ponds are completely inaccessible. The wooden fence seems somewhat purposeless, since it fences in an area the player can't reach. (Or does it disappear later?) Well, at least the map isn't square.

Spoiler:

Nothing special, just a beginning route. Start at the bottom; event and you're automatically teleported to next town. You then have to traverse from the top down, then back up again.

I...like it. It's not exciting, but it's still loads better than Route 1 in Fire Red. The map leads you off to the left instead of straight up, and there's just enough variation in the shapes of things so that it doesn't get repetitive. One of the better Route 1's I've seen. But you can only get away with it because it's a Route 1 and the player is expecting something like this. Anywhere else it would be just too boring.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years

Spoiler:

Great grass placement. The top is a bit empty though. (Actually I think it's just a tad bit big all the way through, but that's just my opinion.) I'm also not too fond of the flowers all being on the right side, and the spots with a single tree next to the cliffs. Mostly just aesthetic issues though, no real faults here. Definitely plain, but can't ask for much more in route 1.

This is a random Ice Cave:
    Spoiler:

Just because I dont have tiles, it dosent make it bad! lol :P
    I'm digging this map. Excellent mountains, but the ice part is way too easy. Borders will be an issue on the right side, and I believe I see a tile error where the ice/land meet on the left side.

Last edited:

x Necromorph x

Super Saiyan 4
    Years
    You are correct, I see it also. That one slipped by me. The right side Border error could be fixed easy though, this was just a "I'm bored lets make something" Map.
    Anyways Thanks!

Years
    The Bad:
    The houses would look better with normal doors not just... holes.
    Your trees need shadows.
    The water seems a bit random, honestly the map would look better without the random pools.
    Same with the ledges really.

The Good:
    Nice mountain shape.
    Good tree placement.
    Nice path shape (although the tiles make it look a bit odd).

Overall: 7/10, a nice little town.

--------------------------------

Wouldn't it be good if people rated when they posted their own map? :\ On the page before this there's like 5 maps in a row.

Thank you,
    I might change the doors, I don't have room in my tile set for trees with shadow :x
    The pools are a bit the style that I wanted for the town, because the Route that connects to the bottom also has a little and a big pool and the town that connects to that route ends in a very large lake. But if it's a bit to random I can remove them. The pool in the garden of the house is accessible, you can go in and out the back of the house where the yellowish path is.

The left ledge is to show the player you can jump over ledges, it has a OW standing in front of it and if you talk to it it jumps over the ledge. the right ledge is random though :P
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And I don't rate maps because I don't really know what to say, i'm more the person who learns and not the one who teaches.

:0 Are those Zelda tiles I see? The town is super cute, but rather on the small side. The tall grass and ponds are completely inaccessible. The wooden fence seems somewhat purposeless, since it fences in an area the player can't reach. (Or does it disappear later?) Well, at least the map isn't square.

Yes they are :D I know but they're there more for the decoration, I don't know what wooden fence your talking about :P If it's about the one on the right it's to close the garden from the rest of the map. (I also explained it in the paragraph above :))

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    This is a random Ice Cave:
    Spoiler:

Just because I dont have tiles, it dosent make it bad! lol :P

Pretty nice map, the mountains have a pretty nice shape, although some bits seem a bit empty and others a bit superfluous (like the thing right next to the top exit. Really?).

The ice puzzle is just really really too easy. Maybe block off more of the ice so that the player actually has to figure something out? :D Also, that ice bit in the middle...it's kinda useless and looks a bit weird.

There's also a border error on the top-right. Just close off the mountains to avoid it - there are three levels above and three below, so that's not a problem.

x Necromorph x

Super Saiyan 4
    Years
    Pretty nice map, the mountains have a pretty nice shape, although some bits seem a bit empty and others a bit superfluous (like the thing right next to the top exit. Really?).

The ice puzzle is just really really too easy. Maybe block off more of the ice so that the player actually has to figure something out? :D Also, that ice bit in the middle...it's kinda useless and looks a bit weird.

There's also a border error on the top-right. Just close off the mountains to avoid it - there are three levels above and three below, so that's not a problem.

As stated above^ It was a "Messing around Map". Its not being put into anything. The ice puzzle was thrown together in 2 sec :P

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Spoiler:

This is the route west of the town previous. Its got a floral theme.

Called Flora Cove.

I can't make anything out at that resolution. Photobucket resizes images over a certain width/height. Try uploading it to Tinypic instead.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back