• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
You could keep the map as spacious as it is now, and since it is a town, maybe fill that area with a group of NPCs having an argument, that you settle and get an item as a reward?

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
Years
Area 2 from Kanto's Safari zone.
I know there's a bunch of shadow errors, but I'll fix these later. Thoughts on the map?
rgb6loV.png

Last edited:

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
I like it, but is it supposed to be that the safari zone is laid out like a route? It looks very much progression based to me, like it would be a very good actual route, but as a safari zone area it doesn't seem to fit. Idk, it's probably just me.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 25, 2016
Hey, I'm kinda new here, but I've made some maps, and I was wondering if anyone has feedback for me. Here are the finished maps I have of my game...

Starting Town (Quivver Town):
Spoiler:

Quivver Meadow (Meadow behind Quivver Town, in which you catch your starter):
Spoiler:

Route One (On Island and Bridge to Mainland)
Spoiler:

Second Town (Pinedrift Town)
Spoiler:

PokeCenter:
Spoiler:

Feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

P.S. Route One is under construction until the fifth gym, in preparation for a Marine Tube-like bridge to the Mainland...

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020
Pretty nice, Pinedrift Town is pretty, only wierd thing is the river being so much higher than the beach, normally water always searches a way down, but here it could be just a very narrow lake.

Poke Center looks neat too, the Quiver Town/Meadow are also nice, just Route 1 with the beach looks wierd, too many trees on it imo.

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2022
It's not quite finished (I haven't even done view calculations for the trees on the outskirts yet), but the basic idea is there and it took quite a bit of time! haha. It's hard to map this way, but I love it.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
this thread needs more activity, so here's something I made

2sLVvL3.png

i love the FRLG tileset, the colors just blend together so nicely

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
Wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but here seems the best place:

I've been conflicted over the shadow overlaps on my maps, shown below. I think it looks better without the one pixel-wide lines at the edge of the shadow, but would like an opinion. To the left is after I fixed it, to the right is how it looked originally. That was a really horrible explanation of something pretty simple, but I've highlighted it in the image:

Shadow%20Issues_zpscost9ifx.png

Any opinions on which looks nicer would be appreciated. It's a little thing but was bugging me.

---

@Oxysoft, I like that map, can't really fault anything with it. I guess the only thing I could say is there are a few areas of open space, but that's the FR/LG style and I like my maps crowded, so it's not a problem, more of a preference. :p
Nice work!

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
this thread needs more activity, so here's something I made
Spoiler:

i love the FRLG tileset, the colors just blend together so nicely
I like this map a lot! You've done a good job with the natural style mapping and the terrain is fairly interesting and varied.
The things I don't like so much:
- No tree shading. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you're staying true to the FRLG tileset I think you should shade it properly.
- The southern trees are in straight rows, whereas most of the other trees alternate and have a more natural style. You've done a good job with the natural tree placement throughout most of the map but I'd change those southern trees.
- I'm not a fan of 1 tile wide stairs in any situation, they always make me feel cramped when going through that area in a game. I'd widen it to two tiles at least.
- In Firered style mapping, the rocky surface where the item ball is is not meant to be walkable terrain. Similarly, mountain tiles should not directly touch water tiles. Again, it's ultimately up to you and it doesn't really detract from the map itself.

Anyways, I have a map to post as well. This is Locase Town, one of the early cities in my game.
Spoiler:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I like this map a lot! You've done a good job with the natural style mapping and the terrain is fairly interesting and varied.
The things I don't like so much:
- No tree shading. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you're staying true to the FRLG tileset I think you should shade it properly.
- The southern trees are in straight rows, whereas most of the other trees alternate and have a more natural style. You've done a good job with the natural tree placement throughout most of the map but I'd change those southern trees.
- I'm not a fan of 1 tile wide stairs in any situation, they always make me feel cramped when going through that area in a game. I'd widen it to two tiles at least.
- In Firered style mapping, the rocky surface where the item ball is is not meant to be walkable terrain. Similarly, mountain tiles should not directly touch water tiles. Again, it's ultimately up to you and it doesn't really detract from the map itself.

Anyways, I have a map to post as well. This is Locase Town, one of the early cities in my game.
Spoiler:
It looks nice; I'd move the house nearest the gym 1 tile to the left to break up the "clumped" feeling that pair of houses gives. Aside from that, you've got a nice clean layout for your town, and if it weren't for the colors of the tiles, it'd likely pass as a fr/lg styled town.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
So, I took the advice of one of the critiques on one of my maps, and I cannot deny they were solid points. I was being a bit lazy when I made the map originally, and only did certain things the way I did because I didn't have tiles at the time, or because that area just was for filler to account for space. But I decided to change that recently.

Linked here is the old version of Route 49. The following spoiler, and this link right here, contain the revised version of it. It hasn't been drastically altered, but I feel the changes really improve upon it.

Route 49, Kanto (Warning, large image)
Spoiler:

Changes between this one and the original:
  • I decided to make that waterfall traversable, and add a small island near the bottom, where you can find a wild Genji Puppet, just to make this area feel more like it has a purpose. I also made the cliffs around that point in the water less straight, and more jagged and natural - as much as I could, at least.
  • The water no longer goes right up against cliff-edges. I found tiles in FrLg's tileset that had the shoreline of the water on the same tile as the water, instead of a tile below it. It might need some more work, but I'm more content with it now than I was before.
But that's not all I have to show off! My next map is the one that connects to the north of Route 49 - Crystal Village.

Crystal Village, Kanto (Imgur Link)
Spoiler:

Crystal Village, as I mentioned in the former post, is where the Pokemon World Tournament for my game is being held. It works pretty much the same as BW2's did, just with the exclusion of the Sinnoh and Unova tournaments. The map is pretty much just a place to house the PWT building (and a Pokemon Center), so I didn't want to make it too large - just large enough for the building, and a bit of extra detail here and there. I will say though, the Battle Dome building was the worst part about the map, because of how large it is, and how annoying it was to shove into a tileset. Thankfully that... 1 tile-wide empty space in the back is not visible to the player at all, so I'm not hard-pressed to fix it.

I haven't shown off maps in a while, not since the Goldenrod City and Route 35 maps, and since my external broke and I lost all those maps and more, I've been in a mapping slump for almost 4 months. This is the first real mapping thing I've done in that time, and man does it feel good to get back into the swing of it.

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
^Those are looking great!

- - - - -

I've been working on the first few maps of my region, and thought I'd post them here. It's a big image, so I've placed it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:

Top right leads into the first forest, bottom right leads down to a small farm area, hence which isn't 100% finished. Any feedback would be appreciated!

UnOvAEinall

UnOvA
Years
Here are some maps from my pokémon game Kanto Revolution.
Enjoy! If you want, leave a comment...

Viridian City

Pewter City

Cerulean City

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
I like them layout-wise, but I think the borders need to be a little more obvious. It makes the maps look a little empty, as if you should be able to leave but can't. Still, nice work!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
All right, here's something different, and seeing as this forum is a bit more general, I suppose this can make it in.

World Map for an RPG exercise taken a bit far for now.

I think I still need additional tiles, since obviously dungeons aren't always in caves. Made in Tiled, and imported into the Unity 5.3.x project via Tiled2Unity. It's 64x64, to keep the size manageable, though I'm willing to expand to a 128x128 map if needed.

Spoiler:

If that didn't work, open https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AG9dep4IARAFR54&v=3&ithint=photo,png instead.

(Do tell if the image doesn't show up.)

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
All right, here's something different, and seeing as this forum is a bit more general, I suppose this can make it in.

World Map for an RPG exercise taken a bit far for now.

I think I still need additional tiles, since obviously dungeons aren't always in caves. Made in Tiled, and imported into the Unity 5.3.x project via Tiled2Unity. It's 64x64, to keep the size manageable, though I'm willing to expand to a 128x128 map if needed.

Spoiler:

(Do tell if the image doesn't show up.)

Honestly, unless you've got a *lot* more landmarks in the works, I'd cut the map size down to 48x48 and scale down your continents. Secondly, I'd recommend using your diagonal coast tiles to make the mouths of your rivers more natural, since right now they jut out like components on a circuit board. Other than that, it seems like a solid throwback to the final fantasy maps, and I can easily visualize the map being snazzed up with Mode 7 transformations.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Honestly, unless you've got a *lot* more landmarks in the works, I'd cut the map size down to 48x48 and scale down your continents. Secondly, I'd recommend using your diagonal coast tiles to make the mouths of your rivers more natural, since right now they jut out like components on a circuit board. Other than that, it seems like a solid throwback to the final fantasy maps, and I can easily visualize the map being snazzed up with Mode 7 transformations.

I'm planning to add a few more locations; namely, a few non-cave dungeons, and maybe a castle or two. These aren't drawn up yet, so that's why they don't show up there; I tend to add things as I find the need to do so. Probably would also be a good idea to add town tile variants.

Yeah, the rivers were added after the initial landmasses were completed and most elements added in.

I guess I better get to work with regard the perspective camera with the game engine - I have poked around with it and collision should stay working, but the camera position will need to be adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back