• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

marijuana legalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years

• As Luck said, correlation≠causation.
    Correlation doesn't always mean causation, but a causal argument makes sense here. You could argue that organized crime mostly falling apart happened independently of the end of prohibition, but then you'd be a fool that doesn't understand how things work.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Yet they proudly adopt other systems, such as uniforms and [attempting] longer school hours, and we all see how giving kids more of what they don't want works out. Why not accept other systems if they work better?
    Why accept systems only because some people think they work better in certain areas with certain people?

Peer pressure, there you go. Most people are in fact misinformed in one way or another.
    Prove it. I would love to meet someone who is not aware of the negative effects of drugs.
    marijuana legalization
    I fail to see the correlation between peer pressure and being clueless. D:

I'm afraid not. Ad hominem is when you only insult people without giving evidence.
    Calling you stupid is ad hominem.
    Giving evidence to support your claim, and then calling you stupid is NOT ad hominem.
    Ad hominem is when you base the objectionability of a claim or opinion on the objectionability of a person or his intelligence.

1. The effects of secondhand smoke are entirely overblown (feel free to cite your poorly conducted studies that "prove" me wrong here, it'll just force me to go to Google and find any of the equally numerous counter-studies that support my statement).
    I see your point. No need to be abrasive.

2. From what I read, he was for a COMPLETE ban on smoking, which includes smoking outdoors or in the privacy of one's home. That's just flat-out absurd. Smoking indoors with other people around is one thing, but doing it in an open space or by yourself is harmless to others.
    d(''d)

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • Whoah dude... look at my hands... like... they're like little sausages on... on a tennis racket dude... like... look at all these little groves man... I could... I can see the entire universe dude... haha, hey dude! I have the entire universe in my hand dude! Oh wow... you know... they call them fingers... but... but I've never seen them fing dude... like.... like... anyone in the mood for nachos?

twocows

Years

• I see your point. No need to be abrasive.

d(''d)
    I tend to come off like that in forums, especially when I'm arguing a point; don't take it personally.

Whoah dude... look at my hands... like... they're like little sausages on... on a tennis racket dude... like... look at all these little groves man... I could... I can see the entire universe dude... haha, hey dude! I have the entire universe in my hand dude! Oh wow... you know... they call them fingers... but... but I've never seen them fing dude... like.... like... anyone in the mood for nachos?
    Oh ho ho! You got me there, your logic is flawless.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • hi decapitated goat, "when people are high they do really stupid things". hahahaha funny. withy our logic we might as well ban alcohol this instant. the effect of your so called "STUPIDITY" is induced in a far more potent state when consuming alcohol.
    Only when you can point out where I said I was claiming that as an undeniable reason for prohibiting it completely and indefinitely will I see your post as anything other than a firepit that serves only to break your own rule and make points against points that point out the theoretical stability of points unrelated to points the member intends to make. [/lolwut?]

Whoah dude... look at my hands... like... they're like little sausages on... on a tennis racket dude... like... look at all these little groves man... I could... I can see the entire universe dude... haha, hey dude! I have the entire universe in my hand dude! Oh wow... you know... they call them fingers... but... but I've never seen them fing dude... like.... like... anyone in the mood for nachos?
    roflcopter

I tend to come off like that in forums, especially when I'm arguing a point; don't take it personally.
    All right. I find smileys tend to prevent that, though. ;3

Last edited:

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • Oh ho ho! You got me there, your logic is flawless.

Actually, I wasn't trying to make a point, I was just aiming for some laughs. There are far to many people who use the stuff on this forum to really make a point of any kind, as they will be the people who go "legalize it, it's good for you" while a minority will try to give reasons why it shouldn't be.

Really, it just doesn't matter, people who want to smoke it will, they can live with the side effects. People who don't smoke it, wont, and live with whatever side effects life brings without it.

As for tobacco and what not, I'm 400% sure I have asthma because my grandmother smoked around me as a baby. No, I didn't smoke any, but it's haunted my life because my grandma did.

Oh, and I never said anything about alcohol. ;)

twocows

Years
  • Actually, I wasn't trying to make a point, I was just aiming for some laughs. There are far to many people who use the stuff on this forum to really make a point of any kind, as they will be the people who go "legalize it, it's good for you" while a minority will try to give reasons why it shouldn't be.
    I made arguments about why it should be legalized (that didn't include "it's good for you," which I agree is ridiculous), which seems to be a category you excluded.

As for tobacco and what not, I'm 400% sure I have asthma because my grandmother smoked around me as a baby. No, I didn't smoke any, but it's haunted my life because my grandma did.
    I have asthma and I'm almost never around smoke. Sometimes, you just have asthma. Either way, smoking when nobody is around or smoking outdoors hurts nobody.

Oh, and I never said anything about alcohol. ;)
    I didn't say you did. I brought prohibition up as a comparison to the current drug situation. It's almost exactly the same: the government is trying to stop people from abusing a substance by halting distribution, which results in some people getting rich off of breaking the law (organized crime), and a lot of people just ignoring the law.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I personally think it should be illegal. I just don't know what compels people towards drugs or to even try drugs because I've never had a desire to try any.
    I think if it was legal, it might throw a lot of things out of whack.. like dealers and whatnot.. :/ then they'd have to move to more dangerous things to make their money..

I think if people have such a strong desire to have marijuana be accessible everywhere around them are either too addicted and need some help, or just love it so much that they should go to somewhere that it already is legal to save themselves the hassle.

:/ People get into a lot of accidents (like car accidents) due to being high.. so.. yeah.. it definitely messes with your state of mind.. maybe not permanently.. but for that period of time that you're high..
    :/ And if it's gonna be super widespread everywhere, then I think it might put the community at higher risk of something bad happening... especially if those people using it are super immature :/

I know people already drive under the influence of booze and marijuana.. but I think that legalizing it would therefore make it more accessible and therefore increase the risk and dangers of people driving while impaired..

:/ People who do it on occasion.. well.. they're managing to get their drugs, aren't they? :/ So why change up the system?

Just my thoughts.

HoneyBubbles

walk this way
    Years
  • I'm pretty much okay with legalized marijuana, but if and only if there is a legal age limit. If an adult wishes to endanger themselves by smoking it, I'm fine with it.
    I've never had a desire to smoke it, but I'm not really concerned with a full grown adult's decision on whether they want to smoke or not.
    And I have to say, I'm not very fond of the sweeping generalization that all people who smoke are idiotic bums who accomplish nothing.
    You have just made MY LIFE.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Sorry gurl, but based on your logic, eating too much meat is bad(I'm not trying to get into an entire other discussion about what is healthier, we can see what happened there), since a king died of indigestion from it. Alcohol should be banned, since so many people died of poisoning and car crashes, since we can clearly see what a great job we did last time in America. You neglect to mention the responsible people who know what to do, no matter how small their numbers are.

Responsible people who know what to do with drugs? ... wtf. The only responsible ones are from perscription and even still, there are much better natural ways to get over an illness, too.

Stay out of other peoples' lives, please. If you don't want to do things that harm yourself, more power to you. Don't force other people to do the same thing. We don't live forever anyway; if people want to screw themselves up later for a bit of fun now, that's their choice, NOT YOURS. I would like to note that more people die in driving accidents each year than from drug overdoses (and I can cite that if you really want); should we ban cars because someone might eventually die from a car crash?

Why ban cars if drugs are the cause? No, of course it isn't logical to ban drugs, of course not. :(

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • :/ People get into a lot of accidents (like car accidents) due to being high.. so.. yeah.. it definitely messes with your state of mind.. maybe not permanently.. but for that period of time that you're high..

So, you want them to make alcohol illegal? Since, you know, more people die from drink driving than drug driving.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2014
    No, not that the more "hardcore" drgugs aren't used now, but there'd be more reason for them since the most commonily used one won't be illegal anymore.
    People enjoy the rush, so i think you can get what i mean.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • The only responsible ones are from perscription and even still, there are much better natural ways to get over an illness, too.

And even prescription drugs can get you sick. I'm apparently allergic to antibiotics don'tcha know? Which made them far more deadlier then they were meant to be. ;)

Which had me move on to an even more questionable prescription/over the counter drug, pain killers. I took them so I could actually fall asleep at night cause of my persistent reaction to the antibiotics. :tired:

Lucky me, I didn't have any side effects from the pain killers that weren't expected.

twocows

Years
  • Why ban cars if drugs are the cause? No, of course it isn't logical to ban drugs, of course not. :(
    *sigh* Stay out of the room when the adults are talking. If you can't understand something as simple as a comparison between two similar concepts, then there is no hope for you.

I was comparing banning drugs to banning cars. Both things have the potential to cause harm. If we're just banning drugs because they have the potential to be harmful, then we have to ban anything that might be harmful. Cars fall into that category, so they'd have to go, too.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    *sigh* Stay out of the room when the adults are talking. If you can't understand something as simple as a comparison between two similar concepts, then there is no hope for you.

I was comparing banning drugs to banning cars. Both things have the potential to cause harm. If we're just banning drugs because they have the potential to be harmful, then we have to ban anything that might be harmful. Cars fall into that category, so they'd have to go, too.

Yes, but cars have practical uses: transport of goods and long distance travel. The only practical use of Marijuana I can think of is medicine and I'm sure there are many other legal drugs that could be used for the same purpose.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Yes, but cars have practical uses: transport of goods and long distance travel. The only practical use of Marijuana I can think of is medicine and I'm sure there are many other legal drugs that could be used for the same purpose.

Airplanes are much better for travel and long distance travel, so there you go. Bicycles have no emissions. It is opinion on whether you think the goods outweigh the bads for cars, but it really depends on what value you put on a human life. Also, marijuana is the best painkiller and it does help you in many cases. Any doctor worth their salt wouldn't prescribe it to you otherwise.
    The point of his post wasn't that they were useless, just potentially dangerous.

Last edited:

blink.

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2010
    I think if it was legal, it might throw a lot of things out of whack.. like dealers and whatnot.. :/ then they'd have to move to more dangerous things to make their money..
    yeah i know what you mean lol; like maybe, kids wouldnt have to obtain pot illegally and possibly delve into that kind of lifestyle. oh! maybe drug dealers would serve no purpose and get a job, huh? prett dangerous eh?! :D
    I think if people have such a strong desire to have marijuana be accessible everywhere around them are either too addicted and need some help
    or maybe they dont like the illegal aspect; and see no reason for it to be illegal? D; i mean in all honesty, do you have a REASON why it should be illegal??
    :/ People get into a lot of accidents (like car accidents) due to being high..
    i've heard of no such thing, where do you get your information? (in before you tell me its from personal experience and i chuckle heartily at you)
    so.. yeah.. it definitely messes with your state of mind.. maybe not permanently.. but for that period of time that you're high..
    I thought that was the point lol...
    :/ And if it's gonna be super widespread everywhere, then I think it might put the community at higher risk of something bad happening... especially if those people using it are super immature :/
    lol youre such a silly. how does that make sense? if i were you; i'd work for an alcohol ban. weed just makes you a better person :)
    I know people already drive under the influence of booze and marijuana.. but I think that legalizing it would therefore make it more accessible and therefore increase the risk and dangers of people driving while impaired..
    un i said something somewhere up there about this plz read it again. plz.
    :/ People who do it on occasion.. well.. they're managing to get their drugs, aren't they? :/ So why change up the system?
    because doing illegal things is bad and yeah.

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
  • I found the video that shows statistics about Amsterdam and the cesspool of crime that they are in.
    If you want links to the statistics, it should be in the side bar of the video.

It can be noted that the population of the US is several hundred-million greater than that of the Netherlands. (I admit the TV show is just exaggerating it.)

Similarly, though marijuana itself is not as addictive or deadly as other drugs, it can lead to further drug use. It's thus safer not to use it at all, and it's legalization would lead to an increase of use in both it, and deadlier drugs. (Think logically people) Even if it would decrease Marijuana use, it would increase the use of other, more deadly drugs.

Ultimately, it's not a good idea. This is my personal opinion, feel free to comment.

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Really, its not worse than having alcohol. Just place all restrictions you have for cigarettes and alcohol, like DUIs, age limits, etc., and enforce them early. A push of reinforcement of the restrictions early should make it so people don't make it a habit to do those things as much. I don't plan to smoke marijuana or cigarettes or drink alcohol in my life, so its not like I support any of these things on a personal level.

All in all, its not harmless, but not any were near as bad as it is seen as because its put in the group of illegal drugs, it no worse that alcohol physical effect wise and no worse than cigarettes social effect wise,it can better our economy by creating a whole new industry AND a new tax to get more money in the budget. The medicinal uses are widely known. I seriously don't see why anyone would object it beyond the every so often moral highstanders who don't care about what the situation actually is (referring to the worse image of it because of the illegal drug label).

EDIT: I just remembered the gateway drug thing, and there's no proof to that from what I remember

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back