• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Memories thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

limeyman

limeyman
Years
  • That was such a good game im trying to hunt my copy of crystal out to go on it but im still stuck on emerald til i get another ds.

Years
  • Yellow was my first game.
    I used to think the guy blocking Cerulean Cave had one of those hats the british guard guys wear,,,til he moved and I was like OHHH IT'S THE CAVE ENTRANCE, DUH.

Being pissed that I couldn't evolved Pikachu...

HATING FIGHTING BROCK WITH JUST PIKACHU. I only used to raise my starter and no one else...

Missingno. I screamed when I first found it bc my cousin convinced me it was a monster, told me how to get it, I tried, found it and was like AHHH OH MY GOD NONONONONONNONONONO. And wouldn't play the game for a while.

Reading a guide for the B/R/Y games and seeing "And now, you're in Lavender Town! Here, you get...GREAT BALLS! (Stop laughing, you pervs, not THOSE balls)" and being unable to quit laughing.

Anddd using my brother's master ball on a Ditto.

Now Crystal.
    Oh my gaaah.
    Favorite Game ever.
    I was little then. Like 5 or 6 I think...
    so y'know, it was my second Pokemon game on my brand new see-through pink GBA that I got for being an all-A student. My first game ON that Game Boy.

I got so attached to my Pokemon.
    Omg I loved my Feraligatr.
    I caught a Shiny Snubbull. My first ever shiny.
    Omg I had the Pokerus right after I started the game! I cried, I thought my Pokes would die, then I was like "Woah this is the coolest death disease EVER my Pokemon are leveling up...oh no they're dying quicker then!!!! But...they're leveling up. And maybe I'll get to bury them in the graveyard!!!!!"
    I was a weird child.
    Catching Suicune and being soooo proud.
    Catching Entei and Raikou.
    I put so much time into that game...
    I can't even tell you all my memories. It was GREAT.
    I released my Meganium once on a diff save file 'cause someone told me if my Pokemon loved me enough and I released it, it'd follow me. I cried...

But my Feraligatr file, w the shiny Snubbull, was my favorite...
    I had my first Espeon on that file. And my Feraligatr. A Larvitar I named Strawberry bc the red on its tummy looked like a strawberry. I nicknamed my Snubbull Grape, my Feraligatr Blueberry, my Espeon purplecherry. XDD
    And I always felt so accomplished bc I wqas an excellent read-er and could understand Pokemon and the words so well I'd read it out loud to my older brother.

So yeah.
    Fond, fond memories.

But my younger sister stole and sold my Yellow at a yard sale last year.
    And my "best friend" stole Crystal bout 5 years ago, when I was in 5th grade...]=

Lol and at like, 6 years ol I totally thought my Rival would be the cutest real life boy ever. And I named him Marcus. OH AND THE FACT THAT KRIS WAS A CHARACTER, I WAS SO HAPPY TO FINALLY BE A CUTE BLUE HAIRED LITTLE GIRL.

Last edited:

rhydonphan

Ground-type Pokemon master
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 14, 2010
    RED:
    getting my Charizard to lv 100
    getting my Rhydon to lv 100
    beating all of the gyms and the elite four before my older brother
    catching 149 pokemon and getting really angry that i killed mewtwo
    GOLD/CRYSTAL
    getting my Feraligatr to lv 100
    getting my other Rhydon to lv 100
    beating the game before my brother( again )
    catching the red Gyarados because I thought it was special

Years
  • RBY: Accidentally deleted my cousin's Charizard while trying to duplicate it an illegal way >.< I spent the next week leveling up a charmander to compensate for my terrible mistake. Going to the movies to see the first pokemon movie. This involved only 1 talking pokemon and 2 hours of "pika pika". As a result, my parents never wanted to hear the word pokemon again XD.
    G/S: Beating my cousin (long time pokemon rival) with my Typhlusion. Getting a gameshark which allowed me to create any pokemon with any moves at any level. I ran into a group of kids while in a restaurant and demolished them with my team of over powered pokemon. I ended up trading them some lvl 100 pokemon for their rares.

Good times :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2011
    Yellow: It took me REALLY long to actually beat the game. Naming my Nidoqueen "Melons" , get the joke? I tried multiple times to evolve pikachu into raichu, until I got rid of my starter one, and replaced it with the Lv50 my older cousin had in her crystal. I then realized that pikachu is unevolvable in this game....

Gold: Getting Stuck in towns and constatly pumping up levels only to realize that the kanto gyms are at the same level during each battle. Trading like crazy in summer camp which then became a pokemon camp. Breeding like a million of starter pokemon once I realized the wonders of ditto breeding.

Rain

Years
  • Gold: Named my rival ???
    When I beat the elite four the first time. It must have taken me at least 15 attempts. I was at day-camp and I ran around screaming because I was so happy. ^^;
    I fainted the Red Gyarados. I caught Raikou with my masterball.
    I caught a shiny hoothoot just outside of newbark town, so I thought I was just like Ash (my character in gold was named Ash).
    I defeated Red on the first try (and yet it took me forever to beat the elite four O__o).
    After being trapped in a cave for a month, I finally realized that flash would light it up. I was so happy that I got out of the cave. XD
    How shocked and excited I was when I found out I could go to Kanto.
    Wondering how I was supposed to get an Espeon. I always ended up getting Umbreon. XP

Crystal: I can be a girl this time? -insert giant spazz moment here-
    Being disappointed that I couldn't catch a mareep.
    Finally caught the red gyarados. =D
    Never EVER got a shiny from the odd egg. I always got a non-shiny igglybuff.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2011
    I actually wasn't all into gold and silver when it came out, I still had my yellow team of Dizzy the Pikachu, Melons the Nidoqueen, King the Fearow, Fatbutt the Snorlax, Mai the Marowak, and my useless tagalong, Jerry the Rattata. I owned with these guys until the gold and silver games along with stadium 2 came out. I wanted to see what the fuss was about with the games, so I entered a tournament using stadium 2 games at my school. Needless to say, I was murdered until I got Gold.

Once I went through the johto region and traded my yellow pokes to gold, I was back on top again, but once I heard that crystal was coming to America, I started training like a madman. A new kid in my class who had imported a Japanese Crystal along with the cell phone adapter, he became the talk of the school. I battled him and I discovered the terrors of the almighty Suicune at Lv100, and lost as well... We became great buddies and I still hang out with him everynow and then.

I actually plan to dump the most recent updates of Brown onto a empty red cartcridge I got from a pawn shop. Soon I will bring my old team out of retirement and into the riijon region!

Hallylicious

アラン
    Years
  • Catching a Muk with a masterball in yellow because it used minimize and i thought it was going to be impossible to catch

I didnt even use it afterwards -_-

Hohoo

SOMG!1
    Years
  • Spring 2002:
    Not knowing how to save and thinking I got stuck in Elm's lab
    I think there was no space between time and phone cards the first time I played it
    Trying to get to the lake behind Cherrygrove
    Talking to the strange tree near Violet
    I think the second Slowpoke in Slowpoke Well was blue
    Making Kurt craft me Poké Balls (almost) every day
    Chasing that Farfetch'd in Ilex Forest
    Thinking that the grass Pokémon related to the shrine was Bulbasaur
    Finally reaching Goldenrod at night and listening to the music
    Spending time in the National Park
    Catching Yanma near it
    Putting two Pokémon into the daycare and getting an egg
    Putting two Hoothoots there and wondering why they didn't produce an egg
    Beating the Sudowoodo
    Arriving at Ecruteak and battling the kimono girls
    Listening to the mysterious broadcast in Mahogany
    Solving the first puzzle in Ruins of Alph

Summer 2002:
    Beating the red Gyarados
    Exploring the Rocket hideout
    Spending a lot of time at the lighthouse
    Getting a Shuckle in Cianwood
    Beating Chuck Norris
    Crying when Team Rocket took over the radio tower (my favourite place)
    Somehow getting to Route 45 from Dark Cave
    Surfing to Kanto and listening to Places & People
    Evolving my Golbat to a Crobat
    Wondering why Crobat's Curse was different from Gastly's

Autumn 2002:
    Catching Ho-Oh
    Getting to Kanto and letting a relative of mine beat it and the Elite 4

Winter 2003:
    Catching Lugia

2004-2006 (I don't exactly remember):
    Catching a Lickitung
    Catching a Lapras (almost) every Friday

Autumn 2007:
    Catching a Murkrow
    Realising that the Hoothoots were both male
    Getting them back at levels 42 and 43
    Losing the save because of the dry battery

2002 was the best year in my whole life.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I have to say, one of the most memorable parts in G/S/C was when Lance ran away to the Mahogany Hideout, and then I would use Fly and get to the shop in 10 seconds, hoping he wouldn't say "You are late!" or something like that... failing every single time XD I was so silly by then.

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • Red and Blue:
    Getting my Charmander and evolving it to a Charizard. Awesomest thing I have ever done.
    Catching Mewtwo :) It was a beast of a Pokemon, and it still is.
    For a challenge, I used Lv.1 pokemon against the Elite Four. What was I thinking?

Yellow:
    Pikachu dude.

Gold and Silver:
    Called Silver "Stupid" and yeah, my friends laughed at it when I was playing it.
    Killed the Red Gyarados. WHYYYY??????
    Coming to Kanto. :)
    Beat Champion Lance but I dropped my Game Boy Color and I had to start again because I didnt save it. >.>

Crystal:
    Playing the female for about an hour before I started again as a man. >.>

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
    Years
  • R/B/Y: Continually saving over my brother's games and getting yelled at, glitching up my brother's game by running into MissingNo. and being glad it wasn't M, turning my brother's game off in fear when the level 225 Golbat I just caught went back to level 100, stealing my brothers game and saving over it with a pitiful file less than 1% beat, performing the mew glitch and failing to catch it, wondering whether it would be a good idea to stuff grass and dirt up my Blue version (which I had stolen from my brother) to see what would happen to it, stealing my brother's Red version and trading his Raichu (which I had evolved from Pikachu without telling him) to the man on Cinnabar Island, feeling excited when the man on Cinnabar Island told me the Raichu had evolved . . .

G/S/C: Continually saving over my brother's games when he was about to battle Red and getting yelled at, my brother finally giving up and giving his Gold version to me so I could stop destroying his game files, becoming obsessed with cloning pokemon in Gold version, being relieved when the first gym wasn't a rock type one, making plans to steal my brother's Crystal version and save over that, making plans to screw up my brother's Crystal version and keep it that way, my Gold version being the time-source when my family was stuck in a cabin with no electricity on vacation . . .

The list could go on.

~Night

Last edited:

chezhead

Thirty characters is not enoug
    Years
  • Hello! First post, and here's my memories.
    Crystal was my first game, and I got it bundled with a gameboy advance.

-I was crying in excitement as I opened the present to find it being a GBA. I still remember that moment, and the exact moment I opened it. Amazing.

-I played that game on a rocking chair, and still have fond memories when on it.

-My starter was Totodile, and I loved that thing so much. LOVED IT.

-I played it everywhere, including the car and stores.

-I remember being in the school parking lot, and releasing my starter pokemon and freaked out and turned the game off right away. Good thing I didn't save.

-A kid named Jordan was convincing people that rubbing that gold plate thing with pokemon on it you get from Burger King on your batteries would transfer that pokemon onto the game.

-It took a couple years, but I finally realized that you could name the rival other things, not just ???.

-This is painful, but in the school parking lot again, I wiped my save and started crying for days straight.

-I beat the game again, but the internal battery died, so I can't play it anymore. I am sad. I guess emulators will have to do.

FireRed
    I was a bit older, but still younger none-the-less.

-I traded my Charzard for a Zapados and still want it back...

Diamond
    -Sitting in my bathroom sticking my DS-chunky out the window struggling to get a connection with my friend a block away, and finally getting a connection and playing CTF underground.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2010
    Heh, this should be fun...

The first time I played Red, I thought the game finished at Celadon. Like, you got there and had to start again. Then a friend told me I could play the Pokeflute and move Snorlax, and there was a whole other part of Kanto past it! I was amazed...

The music in Lavender Tower making me sad :(

I also remember dropping my GBC many, many times (once in a supermarket, and the game actually came out), but the damn thing still works.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2010
    \I also remember dropping my GBC many, many times (once in a supermarket, and the game actually came out), but the damn thing still works.

Haha yeah the old school handhelds were SO sturdy. A few months ago my dad dropped my DS and it half shattered a screen and nearly de-hinged itself from the other half.

In Gold...I remember I didn't know how to get to Mr Pokemons house and so I just leveld up my Typhlosion to level 48. The rest of the game was just my typhlosion soloing the game hahaha. I can still remember him using firewheel....

And then spending hours of frustration trying to get to Ho-Oh. Finally catching him and then making a clone army of Ho-Ohs. :)

And then getting Lugia in those island/cave things. That was even worse than Ho-Oh. I remember once I went to a friends house and we both speculated on how to get to Lugia and discussed plans on how to catch him and what he would be like etc. It was so good having to learn everything yourself, not just using the interent to check.

My friend and I both entered the island place of Lugia one day and we spent the whole day trying to find him. A few minutes before my mum came to pick me up I found Lugia and captured him. My friend was SOOOOO jealous of me. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I remember taking hours to find the right entrance to the Whirl Islands on Silver...and I still don't know how ten years later. XD

Zizi

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom
    Years
  • I remember yellow was the first Pokemon game I ever played and it was my brothers - everytime I played it I wasn't allowed to save because it would wipe his save game... then I remember when I was given my own gameboy and Pokemon yellow.. very happy days =D

9popo

Typhlosion Lover
    Years
  • My greatest memory was in silver having Typhlosion the only pokemon i ever used, and beat the entire elite 4 with just him, i felt so awesome! That was like the first time I ever heard about pokemon.

Years
  • RBY-

I was afraid of everything. Especially the ghosts in Lavender Town.. everything about Lavender town scared me. The elite four scared me. Mewtwo scared me. Caves scared me... Team Rocket scared me, etc lol.

GSC:

I FREAKED OUT when I found that patch with the smeargle in it! That was pure luck lol.. I can't find it in HGSS. D:
    Catching Suicune with like, 1000 fast balls. :>
    Beating Whitney. UGH STUPID MILTANK WITH ROLLOUT

Best one was that I thought the "L" that you see in battle that represents level was a "1", so I thought I had an lvl 117 Girafarig, and was devastated when my game stopped working... xDDD

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
  • Silver was my first game, and I remember how excited I was to go on my first ever Pokemon journey (like the anime except not quite) with my Cyndaquil. I remember how I would put all my effort into training Cyndaquil and only captured other Pokemon just so I could have a party of six Pokemon. They all ended up being like level 10+ so they were pretty useless later on. If my Cyndaquil (later Typhlosion) happened to lost to a gym leader, it would usually do a lot of damage and I would switch out to another Pokemon until the leader's Pokemon fainted. And then my low leveled Pokemon would grow like 5+ levels after one battle. Haha.

And I remember how I was completely stumped on how to reach Morty in the Ecruteak Gym. I even talked to the trainers in the gym, but what they said didn't make sense. I then just tried different ways to get across until I eventually got it. That was so frustrating at the time.

As stupid as it sounds now, I thought I was the greatest trainer on the planet to have level 100 legends. I thought my team could beat anyone. It destroyed my ego when I finally had Internet and bragged about my team on a Pokemon forum, only to be told by older players that my team was full of ubers. So every time I see people brag about their team and it's made up of mostly legends, it reminds me of that embarrassing moment when I was younger. : P

Gold, I never finished, but I started it because I didn't want to restart my Silver game. I had a lot of hours dedicated to that game as well as a lot of level 100s and I didn't want all that hard work to go to waste. However, I never finished Gold after all that. I remember encountering my first shiny (besides Gyarados) and it was Geodude. I was pretty much indifferent to it, but I still captured it and I never used it. The game file was deleted, so I never had a chance to trade it over to my more active games when I later discovered how rare it was. XD

Then I bought used cartridges of R/B/Y and played Red while following this book I bought from Scholastic Book Orders. It was like a story based on the entire gameplay of Pokemon Red almost like a walkthrough except it was a story and the writer listed his nicknames for his Pokemon. I even named my Pokemon the same as his (and caught the same Pokemon he caught). Still, my Charmander (or Charmer was his name) was my strongest Pokemon like Cyndaquil was in my other game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back