• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    W00t! A topic about Missingno. made sticky too! ^_^
    W00t! Lol I can remember back when Iused ta catch as many as I could, tryin' ta get good, powerful lvl 193 Rhydons outta 'em! ^_^
    Hey, I've got a Q -- I never believed Missingno. could actually mess up a savegame until one version of it did that ta my Yellow -- it happened 'cuz its last move was a glitch move an' if deposited on tha pc it messed everythin' up, but if I removed that move tha glitchy Missingno. would still be safe ta use. ^^;;
    Now my Qs are: is there a way Missingno. can corrupt savegames in R/B too an' if so what ish it, an' second -- is there a way Missingno. can corrupt yar save EVEN IF YA DON'T SAVE? For example that save-screwin' method I mentioned earlier with tha comp deposittin' ONLY corrupted tha save IF ya saved after depositin' it. If so, then I may have an answer ta not losin' savegames anymore -- after depositin' that Missingno. My name got messed up an' I think it would be a good pointer if ppl would just take a good look at their names BEFORE SAVIN' after they've played with tha Missingno.s. ^^;;

Smeargle_boy

The king of smeargles!
    Years
    Skarmorylugia said:
    I'm wondering. Did the Missingno have cries when you encountered them? I mean, you know, like when you encounter Rattata it says its name? I wonder if Missingno does that.

When I run into Missingno., it makes the Zapdos cry (or at least I think), but I'll check right now on my red version, which, on R/B, I've heard that during the Missingno. trick, you can VERY RARELY run into Mew! Although, naming yourself Mew won't work.

Skarmorylugia

The Skarmory-Obsessed Girl
    Years
    Charizard_Fire_God said:
    W00t! A topic about Missingno. made sticky too! ^_^
    W00t! Lol I can remember back when Iused ta catch as many as I could, tryin' ta get good, powerful lvl 193 Rhydons outta 'em! ^_^
    Hey, I've got a Q -- I never believed Missingno. could actually mess up a savegame until one version of it did that ta my Yellow -- it happened 'cuz its last move was a glitch move an' if deposited on tha pc it messed everythin' up, but if I removed that move tha glitchy Missingno. would still be safe ta use. ^^;;
    Now my Qs are: is there a way Missingno. can corrupt savegames in R/B too an' if so what ish it, an' second -- is there a way Missingno. can corrupt yar save EVEN IF YA DON'T SAVE? For example that save-screwin' method I mentioned earlier with tha comp deposittin' ONLY corrupted tha save IF ya saved after depositin' it. If so, then I may have an answer ta not losin' savegames anymore -- after depositin' that Missingno. My name got messed up an' I think it would be a good pointer if ppl would just take a good look at their names BEFORE SAVIN' after they've played with tha Missingno.s. ^^;;

Uh....okay....but...the first thing you should do BEFORE going off to look for Missingno. is SAVE YOUR GAME!!! That way, if it does mess up the game, you can just shut it off then turn it back on. Then you'll be in the place you saved, and the game won't be messed up anymore.

Secondly: In R/B(I have blue, but I don't know about yellow), Missingno. is actually less harmful than 'M, when you take 'M out of the PC, it freezes your game(I've had that done to me more than once), but when you take Missingno. out, it doesn't do anything. But be warned: When Missingno. is in your team, it causes the glitched up sprites and the backwards graphics. (Again: I've had that done to me more than once.) If you just leave it in your PC, that won't happen. (at least I don't think it will...)

Okay, I'll shut up now.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    thyplosion said:
    I got an very very very very wierd experience...while trading with my silver and crystal(my crystal is messed up:most people speak useless stuf like you ar champion and in battle when they send monsters its like this "en's dsadgwqdas mujef" watta bummer) so when i tried trading it and i kept scrolling down and one monster came out with the num.000 so it must be missingno....and there are also glitch pokemon(since they appear in later versions)which is #255 which is combusken(maybe) so i have no pictures yet...i'll post sum when i have them

That is kind'a wierd because I thought when someone tries to trade a Missingno. to Silver/Gold it showed stats as Remoraid, Tyrougue, etc. and said a message on the gaming screen "This Pokemon appears abnormal, cannot trade." or sumthin' like that... right?

Years
    KougaWolf said:
    That is kind'a wierd because I thought when someone tries to trade a Missingno. to Silver/Gold it showed stats as Remoraid, Tyrougue, etc. and said a message on the gaming screen "This Pokemon appears abnormal, cannot trade." or sumthin' like that... right?
    Yeh, I know about 'M an' tha comp. Tch, my Missingno. showed up as a Stantler when I wanted ta trade it. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2005
    I remember the first time I ever saw MissingNo. It was pretty cool, and I had heard so many fake rumors, I was suprised that MissingNo. was real.

alakazamisbest

how sad is that?
    Years
    LMAO i faced a missingno trainer guy in silver it wasin the cave that you have three ways to go straight goes to elite four left goes to a cave like thing where you face a an ash like trainer i fought him all his pokemon wher missingno but i think my friend did something to my game to do that he did something with a gameshark

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2005
    I've never seen a Missingno. that looked like skeleton Pokemon, or a ghost. I always get the block thing too. But I think finding the kabutops fossil would be cool to have as a Pokemon.

PokemonPichu

A pichu messing with glitches
    Years
    If you have the Pokemon RBY ROM, then you don't have to worry about messing up your game. Just backup your battery save!

EvilDunsparce

Blue Moon!
    Years
    I made a thread about this but no one answered so I'll ask it here:is it possible to get missingno in gold/silver/crystal and if it is can you get it shiny?

Years
    Tch. They closed it an' said no, but I say ya can. Ya CAN'T get tha Missingno. in RBY shiny but I think ya can get tha ??????????s in GSC or RSE shiny if ya get lucky or use GameShark shiny-ness codes... o.0

Xeon

Programmer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2013
    Missingno was just something to fill the empty slots. And the only reason its mostly always glitched is because its reading bad pointers and loading BAD data. The developers did not do any bounds checking to make sure the number couldnt go over a certain number.

Fury of Ninetales

I'm back!
    Years
    Nicks said:
    I saw a Gary when i was Surfing for a Missingno, and i had to fight him
    my friend saw a TR member while surfing the missingno spot. he had lv 153 haunters and he only got 300 bucks for winning :(. my friend also tried to catch a missingno. and it said you missed the pokemon. do you think that if him and i used the bait or rock glitch that we could catch it? by the way, his game name is ???.

Years
    can missingo be caught in silver or gold............and can it be added to pokedex?

one more thing................can someone explain misinigo to me. (my head hurts)

SRV

Years
    • Age 34
    • N.B.
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    It can't be caught in Gold or Silver, and it does not get added to the pokedex , hence the name "Missingno."; Missing Nunmber. Missingno. was added to the game by the programmers, but they decided to remove it. Instead of that, they just hid it in one of the places which has no game memory; Cinnabar Island coast.

Years
    Well there are some glitch-pkmn in G/S/C that can be generated with codes, an' though some can be caught, there is one in particular that I haven't been able ta catch, even with tha Master Ball... wierd, huh? O_O

AmpharosLightning

AmpharosLightning
    Years
    EvilDunsparce said:
    I made a thread about this but no one answered so I'll ask it here:is it possible to get missingno in gold/silver/crystal and if it is can you get it shiny?

I'm not sure, but there is such thing called ?????.

Missingno
    ????? vs ?????.

Missingno
    Lv 23 EGG.

Missingno
    GSC Glitch City???

shadow909

I'm the dragon master
    Years
    *EDIT* i deleted the whole thing cause it made the pokecommunity bigger

hmmm i solved the pikablu problem!

the pokemon maril is pikablu some kids just mistunderstood the pokemon and thought it was a pikachu rthat was blue!

look search pikablu pics and itll show maril!

Last edited:

DarkKrystal

Master/Future Gym ******
    Years
    Kairi said:
    Q: What is Missingno.?
    A: For most variables on Game Boy games, the fewest possibilities for the variable is 256 (HEX 100), labeled 0 to 255 (HEX 00 to FF). This goes for most variables in RBY, including ones for all the Pokemon lookup slots. However, only 151 Pokemon exist in RBY. So, if there are 256 possibilities, and only 151 slots were defined by the programmers, what do the other 105 slots have? Glitches. And so, Missingno. was created.

Q: How do I find it?
    A: You don't know how to find it? Go play some more RBY. But, if you're one of the outcasts who doesn't know how to find it, here goes. Talk to the Old Man at the northern edge of Viridian, and let him catch a Weedle. Then, Fly to Cinnabar (you can also go to Fuchsia and Surf to Seafoam Islands, but that takes a lot longer) and Surf up and down the right edge. After a while, you'll run into some unnatural Pokemon at high levels, and Missingno. (or a Pokemon with a glitched name containing 'M in the middle). NOTE: THIS DOES NOT WORK IN YELLOW.

I have never heard such a scientific and/or reasonable outlook on Missing No. But is there any way to make this work for Yellow?

Here's the thing. I started a new game a while ago. I have yet to beat Sabrina, Giovanni's Gym and the League, but that's it.

Other than Glitch City, is there some other cool Glitch for Yellow that doesn't require me going back a few steps and/or starting a new game?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back