• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Monotype Challenge, Firered and Leafgreen style!!

How should the challenge end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    They are the Islands that you can access after you get the Rainbow Pass from Cecil, which is after Bill invites you to go to island one.

BerserkPaladin

Has Left For GOOD
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2008
    Update!

Ok this is my current status.

Spoiler:

Current team

-FLASHFIRE/ HOUNDOUR
    Spoiler:

FLANNERY/CHARMELEON
    Spoiler:

So... I plan to Gameshark a wild Cyndiquil and catch it. (Yes u can not catch Cyndiquil in FireRed.)

borax12

gosh! i forgot my line
    Years
  • confused should i say

:\ okay, so now it's fully above my head. Sorry i couldn't understand the rules .What i want to know is ,do i have to pm for the sign ups or i can just start away with fire red ( with fire type) and adhere to the rules and just play the game .And finally do i have to post my save file after this challenge ends(sorry for the long post).

romanwhiz

'We live in crazy days'
    Years
  • :\ okay, so now it's fully above my head. Sorry i couldn't understand the rules .What i want to know is ,do i have to pm for the sign ups or i can just start away with fire red ( with fire type) and adhere to the rules and just play the game .And finally do i have to post my save file after this challenge ends(sorry for the long post).

You can just state what type you would like to train. Unfortunately Fire type is already taken by BeserkPaladin.
    The only type currently available is the Grass type.

BreakingBen posted additional rules to ease the battling process for the Elite 4.
    If you will do Grass, then you may have ONE Pokemon that is not the type to help. But that Pokemon must have a move that corresponds with your type.
    [i.e. a Gengar is not a grass type, but you can use him if you teach him Giga Drain.]

You don't have to post the entire save file, but screen shots will do.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2009
    BeserkPaladin, why are you gamesharking pokemon? It was already stated that you can't use non-Kanto pokemon! Plus, you already have a fire type.

romanwhiz

'We live in crazy days'
    Years
  • So... I plan to Gameshark a wild Cyndiquil and catch it. (Yes u can not catch Cyndiquil in FireRed.)

That is against the rules, my friend.
    Woohoo was not allowed to import a
    Beldum into the game, and you are unable to do the same with Cyndaquil.

and so is the
    Houndour, if i am not mistaken.
    the whole idea of importing something into the game is for RARE Pokemon types that are unavailable in the beginning of the game.

Here are the types available in the game

Normal- Pidgey,Rattata, andClefairy are all easily found early in the game.
    No need to Gameshark.

Fire- You start with Charmander, and he has a strong Poke-evolution. In my opinion he is the strongest starter. I have taken the first 3 Gym's with him alone in the past. He learns Metal Claw early, for against Brock, and he can learn Dig to go against Lt. Surge. It will take some patience, but honestly there is no need to Gameshark.

Water- Squirtle is a starter, plus Magikarp is available before Mt. Moon and you can fish in Vermillion. No need to Gameshark.

Grass- Bulbasaur is a starter, with Oddish and Bellsprout available in Cerulean Cape.
    No need to Gameshark.

Poison- Bulbasaur is part Poison also, plus Nidoran M/F are available early too. No need to Gameshark.

Bug- Butterfree and Beedrill are obtainable via evolution, and Paras is caught at Mt. Moon. No need to Gameshark.

Rock & Ground- Both are only obtainable earliest in Mt. Moon with Geodude and Onix. No need to Gameshark.

Fighting- Very rare, you might find a Mankey on Route 22, but Fighting Pokemon are hard to come by. This is an instance that a Gamesharking a Pokemon would be understandable.

Psychic- Another rare type. the closest Pokemon you can catch would be Abra found near Cerulean Cape. But that is a long distance, and it is reasonable to cheat in a Psychic poke in the early game.

Electric- Pikachu is found early in the game, Viridian Forest. but Pikachu is one of few Electric types in the game. It would be understandable to import an electric poke into the game. Electric pokes' are hard to train. That's why I'm impressed that BreakingBen has come this far. This is a CHALLENGE, folks. It is supposed to test you and your Poke types. BreakingBen has done exceedingly well in this. With only Pikachu available, he trained to lvl 20 before beating Brock. And the nearest electric Pokemon Voltorb would not be available till after the 3rd Gym!!

Other than that, the rest should take the Monotype Challenge for what it really is, a challenge.

Don't cheat because it get's a little hard. Try for it. You can do it.

borax12

gosh! i forgot my line
    Years
  • Why?

:disappoinWhy can't i take fire type.And could you please explain what you meant by "berserk paladin has already taken fire type".
    If no option is available then i guess ,i shall take up grass type

Last edited:

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    :disappoinWhy can't i take fire type.And could you please explain what you meant by "berserk paladin has already taken fire type".
    If no option is available then i guess ,i shall take up grass type

Berserk Paladin has already claimed the fire type for their monotype challenge. The Fire type is already taken.

Update! :D

Trained Cleffa and Jiggly to LV 20, made way through Mt. Moon. Caught a Paras, Geodude and Zubat for the Dex. Currently in Cerulean City, about to challenge Misty and/or Gary.

Edit: Oh, yes. Team is Ratta LV 23, Cleffa LV 24, Pipa LV 23, Ratta LV 22, Bulby LV 6.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    OK, I see some confusion in this challenge >.>.

BP: As romanwhiz stated before, you cannot import/use non-Kanto Pokes until AFTER you get the National dex. You can deposit the Houndour until you get it (If you need any help on which Pokemon to use, look at the R/B Monotype Challenge in the Metal/Color Board and look at my posts. It isn't hard, just demanding ;)).

As for the diff. Pokemon type thing, that will only be available to you AFTER you beat the Sevii Islands Quest (I implemented that rule to make it easier after the E4 trained a bit).

BP... again: Tee-hee... a lot of people want your spot ^.^

Borax-as absolmaster said before, the Fire type has already been claimed. Grass type is still open, and since you PM'd me, I will give it to you.

FOR ALL IN THE CHALLENGE: You MUST update at least twice a week (due to popularity) or else your spot will be overtaken by the next person waiting.

Romanwhiz: Flattery will get you no where... except on my friends list!!!! ^.^

Anyway, more Updates!:
    -Beat the Rockets in their own domain >.>
    -Giovanni wasn't much of a Problem (DIG FTW!)
    -Decided to train Joleton (Pin Missle... XD)

TEAM:
    Raichu L: 42 HP 116
    -Dig
    -Thunder
    -Quick Attack
    -Thunderbolt

Electrode L: 37 HP 93
    -Selfdestruct
    -Rollout
    -Spark
    -Sonicboom

Jolteon L: 30 HP 85
    -Shock Wave (!!!)
    -Sand Attack
    -Double Kick
    -Quick Attack

Last edited:

woooooohooooooooooooo

Hardcore trainer? i think so
    Years
  • Well yesterday i had finished getting through rock tunnel and my pokemon grew more lvs but the game shut off... so now i had to start rock tunnel again =-[

Years
  • Haven't posted for a while, so here I go:

Monday:
    -Was able to beat rival's pidgey and charmander with ease
    -Made it through Viridian Forest
    -Trained Rhyhorn up a bunch of levels, he was now level 13
    -Took on Brock. This was tough, as Rhyhorn was no longer cooperating and his attacks (horn attack, stomp, tail whip) all did little damage. It took at least 20 minutes and a ton of potions before I actually defeated him.
    -Stocked up on items, healed, and headed for mt. moon
    -Was easily able to find a lv. 10 Geodude, which I captured and nicknamed
    -Saved + turned of the game for the night

Today:
    -Have begun training Geodude
    -Still playing...

Current team:

Rhyhorn (nn:Coryn) Lv. 18
    -Horn Attack
    -Tail Whip
    -Stomp
    -Fury Attack

Geodude (nn:Goroun) Lv. 11
    -Tackle
    -Defense Curl
    -Mud Sport
    -Rock Throw

Bulbasaur Lv. 9 (Kept around to be taught cut in the future)

Sandshrew

Poke-n00b extraordinaire!
    Years
  • well bad news guys. my rom has been corrupted so i have gotta start over. So I will be re-starting shortly...

woooooohooooooooooooo

Hardcore trainer? i think so
    Years
  • ALLLLRIIIGHHTTT.............
    UPDATE:
    after going through rock tunnel and fighting every trainer (again -.-)
    i defeated all the trainers by lavender except my rival saving him for later =[)
    my pokemon gained good levels
    i also beat erika =[)
    now im going to destroy team rocket x[)

Monotype Challenge, Firered and Leafgreen style!!

Scyther L42
    -ariel ace(ownage)
    -wing attack
    -sword dance
    -quick attack

Krikly L40
    -giga drain
    -psybeam
    -confusion
    -sleep powder

Michab L40
    -fury attack
    -pin missle
    -twinneedle
    -pursuit

Ipiak L39
    -bullet seed
    -dig
    -spore
    -slash

now as i said to go destroy yhte rockets and get me self a pokeflute

well bad news guys. my rom has been corrupted so i have gotta start over. So I will be re-starting shortly...
    ahh... that happened to me with the psychic type that's why i didnt restart them
    so i took bugys =[)

You can just state what type you would like to train. Unfortunately Fire type is already taken by BeserkPaladin.
    The only type currently available is the Grass type.

BreakingBen posted additional rules to ease the battling process for the Elite 4.
    If you will do Grass, then you may have ONE Pokemon that is not the type to help. But that Pokemon must have a move that corresponds with your type.
    [i.e. a Gengar is not a grass type, but you can use him if you teach him Giga Drain.]

You don't have to post the entire save file, but screen shots will do.
    well actually roman if you read them more carefully breakingben says this
    "-You MAY... MAY use ONE Pokemon that is NOT your type to beat the E4 a second type, under certain conditions
    -*You cannot trade in any Pokemon from the outside if you use this rule
    -*This Pokemon MUST have a move of your type (T-tar Thunderbolt :))
    -*You CANNOT use legendaries, Flying, Dragon, Ice, or Ghost types"

Last edited:

Sandshrew

Years
  • ok here is my second 1st update:

• i started with squirtle
    • beat Goober (rival)
    • caught Tyrogue (let me know if i should take him out)
    • caught mankey
    • whooped Goober again!!
    i am currently leveling up my pokes in viridian forest

my team:
    Ronin (tyrogue)- level 12
    -tackle
    -
    -
    -

Aquashell (squirtle)-level 7
    -tackle
    -tail whip
    -bubble
    -

Okori (mankey) - level 14
    -scratch
    -leer
    -low kick
    -karate chop

on to pewter city!!!

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Tyrogue is not apart of the Kanto Dex... you may only use Kanto Pokemon for the first part of the challenge. If you evolve him into Hitmonlee/chan quick enough, I might let you keep him.

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    Excuse me, but I won't be able to play until Thursday. So even if I don't update, please don't kick my spot. Because Thursday I probably will play enough to get back to Vermillion. After all, Drowzees are quick to level.

Sandshrew

Years
  • update #2!!!!
    viridian forest has been conquered
    and brocks gym is no more (muhahaha).
    Goober has been beaten once more (lol spamming karate chop!)
    and i hold the golden nugget of the fabled bridge!
    -saved in cerulean city

If you evolve him into Hitmonlee/chan quick enough, I might let you keep him.
    yay he just evolved in mt. moon! (hitmonchan) can i keep him? If not ill just get a machop (tyrogue just seemed more starter(ier))

My Team:
    Okori-level 23
    -scratch
    -fury swipes
    -low kick
    -karate chop

Ronin- level 21
    -tackle
    -mach punch

Last edited:
    Back