• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most disappointing Pokemon from Unova

Sirfetch’d

Which Unova Pokemon was most disappointing in your eyes? Which designs lacked originality and character?

Sirfetch’d

Maractus. It's the most forgettable Pokemon in my opinion.

I agree it is pretty forgettable, but I like it for some reason. Idk why haha. For me the absolute worst Pokemon ever is Heatmor. It's just so badly designed, forgettable, weak, etc. It's counterpart, Durant is so cool though haha!

Years
  • Maractus. It's the most forgettable Pokemon in my opinion.

Maractus is quite forgettable but it's so cute at the same time and its abilities are not all that bad

For me the absolute worst Pokemon ever is Heatmor. It's just so badly designed, forgettable, weak, etc. It's counterpart, Durant is so cool though haha!

Yeah, I agree. Of the Durant/Heatmor duo I definitely like Durant better, and that's because it actually looks awesome unlike the more derpy and weird Heatmor.

Years
  • Larvesta stats being more physical made for some difficulties in its raising to evolve. Manageable yet tedious. Still have a guilty pleasure for Volc' with Harden... Maybe Harden Volc is my disappointment... But then there is the final form for the zebra Pokemon

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Basculin. I forget it exists. I like Maractus (has cute pink flowers on it). I remember Durant/Heatmor for their rivalry, and Heatmor's actually kind of cool with a flaming tongue. I remember Sawk/Thror. But Basculin... something about it is unremarkable. So what if one has a red stripe and the other has a blue stripe. I feel they introduced such a very small aesthetic change between its forms because by itself, it is uninspiring.

I only noticed its existence because I caught one in Rumble World today.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Alomomora, because when it was first revealed back in Gen 4 I thought for sure it was going to be the evolved form of Luvdisc.

I thought that Maractus was kinda forgettable too, since we already had a cactus Pokemon, it didn't bring anything new to the table. I never really cared for Druddigon's design either--it looks like a really generic dragon.

Also, Unlike most people, I really like Vanillite, I always thought it was adorable, but I was really disappointed with its evolved forms (just a bigger ice cream cone, and a bigger ice cream cone with two heads) and its shiny--they could have done something really interesting with its shiny like make it chocolate or strawberry or something, but it's barely any different from its non-shiny -_-

Overall though I thought Gen 5 gave us some really great Pokemon. But out of 156 new Pokes, there's bound to be at least a few not-so-good ones xD

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Maractus: Are GF just lazy and add some bunny features on a cactus, I know it's based on RL thing, but this.. this .just

Basculin: The red and green have different abilities (exception on adaptability and it's HA. I was really disappointed in this it's like they add shellos and gastrodon with different color and ability. Why not just 2 different color with one suitable ability (aside the HA and Adaptability.) it makes player choice which is more competitive basculin with a recoil moves best (More power, more hurt thru recoils / no bonus, avoid recoils) it's just meh

Musharama: Are GF blends mother and pokemon here. I'm talking design wise

articueno@

aftet tuesday even the calender goes WTF
    Years
  • i hate trubbish design ."a trashbag pokemon" really?.if designer keep making these types of pokemon many we will find pokemon like
    vacuum cleaner pokemon or dustbin pokemon

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Zebstrika and Liepard are huge disappointments for me battle wise. For those that weren't around when I did this, I made it a mission to take every Unova Pokemon through the Elite Four. So I think I have a pretty good grasp of Gen V Pokemon because of it. I raised all my Pokemon from the ground up for that and one of my most unpleasant experiences was Zebstrika. I remember being pretty excited for the Pokemon itself. Awesome Electric zebra Pokemon with a cool design and a cute pre-evolution! And they screwed it up. It was terrible to use in battle and the movepool with its stats was poor choice. I was hugely disappointed.

As for Liepard, it's pretty much the same situation, except it's something I found out sooner than when I started my challenge. I kept a Purrloin with me in the beginning because I'm a cat person and Purrloin is, imo, one of the best designed cat Pokemon. After it evolved, it slowly just became a horror to use and seemingly got weaker each time I tried to use it. I ended up ditching mine pretty quick after that because I just couldn't take it anymore. Near constant fainting was an issue as well. I had to use it again for my challenge after I finished White and it was as unpleasant as it was in the beginning of the game.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • i hate trubbish design ."a trashbag pokemon" really?.if designer keep making these types of pokemon many we will find pokemon like
    vacuum cleaner pokemon or dustbin pokemon

I hate Magnemite's design. "A Magnet Pokémon", really? If the devs keep making these types of Pokémon we will find Pokémon like Sludge Pokémon or Poké Ball Pokémon.

OP: Maractus. Not as unique of a design as Cacnea or Cacturne, worse stats, poor moveset, no irregular/unique typing... kinda boring, to be honest.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    What about Mothim?
    I ran into one recently playing a randomized B2 and had no idea what it was.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    What about Mothim?
    I ran into one recently playing a randomized B2 and had no idea what it was.

That's Gen IV, evolves from Burmy. It's ironically one of the best Bug/Flying type combinations available to date. I used to go to tournaments a lot in Gen IV and it was there quite a bit. It got nerfed with the introduction of competitively viable Rock types though.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • I think Trubbish is kinda uncreative. Just look at it's design, trashbag? It's second evolution looks more terrible.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Alomomola. I hate everything about it: the fact is has no pre-evo like luvdisk, its design, its stats, its move pool. Its pain to kill, and when it is almost fainted, it goes right back up because of wish. It is super annoying and I wish the pokemon war wiped it out of existence.

On the contrary, however, I like maractus. It is cute and cuddly- oh wait never mind. But I liked the maractuses in the anime.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    Not sure why the hatred of Maractus is so profound, I love it. It can be used in several ways but my favourite is Storm Drain + Big Root + Giga Drain. It's hidden ability in Gen V is a little difficult to obtain now however.

My vote goes to Basculin though for most disappointing. Never really found myself wanting to use it.

Back