• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most disappointing Pokemon from Unova

Years
  • Yeah, the Tepig line has its not fans but i'm not one of them. Sometimes I feel sorry for the poor thing...

However, one other I will mention is Heatmor. Its stats are not that great, and it doesn't have much to stand out from other Fire-types along with not a lot of moves to use. A disappointing Pokémon, but I guess it has Flash Fire, if literally nothing else. Although it is amusing that you can sometimes find them with Durant hordes in XY.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Sorry, but I'm not quite a big fan of Archen lines. The design is okay, but its ability (Defeatist) makes it kind of a letdown since it makes Archen lines more useless on brink situations.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2017
    Garbodor, it is basically a worst version and a copy of Swalot and Muk.

Years
  • Garbodor, it is basically a worst version and a copy of Swalot and Muk.

I can understand here a lot, because its stats are wonky and it doesn't get any decently good physical STAB except for Gunk Shot. But it does learn some odd special attacks here and there, such as Focus Blast, Thunderbolt and even Psychic.

Plus, its defensive capabilities aren't too shabby. Just watch Marriland and a certain Garbodor he had in a Wedlocke series of his and it was a true late-game star of the team.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I already talked about my least favourite mon from this gen on another thread, and since this one uses the term 'disappointing' and some others talked about underwhelming mons, I will just share my own.

I might want to document this Nuzlocke, so spoilers.
    Spoiler:

And speaking of Zebstrika, I wholeheartedly disagree with anybody who said it was bad in this thread. I did not have a problem with it at ALL. I added mine to my team for electric coverage, and he, well wasn't bad. I mean, I boxed him and brought him back and boxed him and brought him back, but overall it just isn't bad. Mine was fast and heavy-hitting enough to completely ignore the fraility, and got the job done pretty well. He did the least amount of work at the league sadly, but still.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2016
    To be honest, I can't really enjoy any pokemon from Unova, I always keep in my mind that Pokemon from Gen 1 and Gen 2 are the best :(

Years
  • Druddigon and Heatmor. In my eyes they don't seem to have anything unique or noteworthy going on for them. Both are mediocre in terms of stats and become useless late-game, so they are easily outclassed by other Pokemon of the same respective types; this isn't helped by the fact that they don't evolve into anything.

Years
  • To be honest, I can't really enjoy any pokemon from Unova, I always keep in my mind that Pokemon from Gen 1 and Gen 2 are the best :(

I understand this because so many people have been disappointed with 5th Gen as a whole, and also tend to let nostalgic connection towards older games play a huge factor in that as well.

Years
  • I'm taking a look at a list of Unova pokemon right now, and I can't truthfully say that there are any that really disappoint me...

...Okay, except maybe Basculin. It's just...kind of there. It's never been all that appealing to me design-wise, and it's basically just another fish. :( Not even that interesting of a fish imo. Yes, I even like Alomomola who is already very reminiscent of Luvdisc more than I do Basculin!

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Swoobat ended up being pretty meh. I was hoping Woobat would become a cool Pokemon like Crobat but nope. Heart Stamp is a pretty useless attack too.

...Okay, except maybe Basculin. It's just...kind of there. It's never been all that appealing to me design-wise, and it's basically just another fish. :( Not even that interesting of a fish imo. Yes, I even like Alomomola who is already very reminiscent of Luvdisc more than I do Basculin!

Agreed. In fact its most defining feature seems to be the fact you can choose whether you'd like your Basculin to have squinty eyes or not.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Patrat line, Basculin, Klink line, Tynamo line, Shelmet line, Golett line... needless to say, I'm not that impressed with Unova's Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    Samurott. Too different from Dewott for my liking. But honestly I was disappointed with all the starters in some way.

Years
  • I actually cannot stand Durant. It creeps me out and they are everywhere, I am sick of running into Durant, please save me.
    Throh and Sawk are kinda :/ and Basculin is double :/ though it's neat it has two formes.

mjb8910

mjb8910
    Years
  • I didn't like Galvantula in Gen 5 but once Sticky Web came around in Gen 6 it totally redeemed Galvantula for me. Not a fan of the elemental monkeys although I like the design of Simisage the best. Not a fan of the Swords of Justice trio especially Virizion.

Years
  • Most of Unova's Pokémon disappointed me in some way, whether it be their design or over all abilities. But, the worst of the worst for me are as follows. The Garbordor line, Liepard line, Stunfisk, Tympole, Swoobat, Basculin, Gothetelle line, Amoongus, Alomomola, Vullaby, and Larvesta. With the exception of the Liepard line, the primary reason behind being listed was because of their poor design and underwhelming impression. The Liepard line was the only one I invested time into actually training before learning about its less than stellar performance for long term battling. Design wise, Stunfisk, Tympole, and Alomomola are at the top of my least favorite designs. Stunfisk looks creepy, especially when the animated sprite causes it to smile... And Tympole being a tadpole with a human looking face is not much better lol.

Larvesta was a unique case. Upon playing Black for the first time and getting the egg, I was thinking it'd be like the previous times where you'd get a Togepi. So, when the egg finally hatched, there were no words to describe how I felt upon seeing Larvesta XD.

Years
  • I'm going to say Basculin too. It didn't have any special appeal like Feebas or Magikarp, it was just... there. Doing nothing.

I'm very pleased with most of the fifth generation designs.

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
    Years
  • Top 5:

5. Rufflet - Ok I like when it Evolves but it should evolved at Level 30 not 54! Way too Long to evolve this Pokemon.
    4. Bouffalant - More like a Female Tauros with from the 80s!
    3. Durant - It was a cool concept until you realize that one Fire move and its Done!
    2. Maractus - Its Like a Female Cacturn. Did we need this???
    1. Basculin - Should of had an Evolve form, its cool but Meh.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Pretty much all the starters design wise I like the first forms. But I didn't like it that servine turns into a snake with no legs or hands. Or dewot evolving in something that stands on 4 legs. I mean a Pokemon standing on 2 legs could really have that cool samurai look with those shell swords in hand but NOO it had to stand on 4 legs. Also the evolutions of tepig. Fire and fighting again? I mean how do you evolve and lose limbs or your arms become an other pair of legs. I mean from a pokémon on 4 legs to a more humanoid look you could call that evolution, but a humanoid back to a animal form I find that stupid.

Back