• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most useless/unnessesary Pokemon?

Katana

Doin' it Katana Style!
Years
  • Really, if I'm looking at this from a Confucius standpoint, no Pokemon is worthless if given the right set-up circumstances/tools. I mean look here:

Let's say we have a Smeargle that gets a Spore off of the opponent (I'll use Dragonite for this example.) Smeargle proceeds to Substitute, Dragonite's fast asleep. Smeargle then Belly Drums maxing its Atk and has a Salac Berry that activates, Dragonite remains asleep. Smeargle BPs to a Magikarp (Lolwth), Dragonite remains asleep. The Magikarp's Atk stat after a +6 boost = 520 (That's with it being Adamant 6HP/252Atk/252Spe btw.) In Platinum, through Move Tutor, Magikarp gets the almighty Bounce! (Harharhar!) So let's say Magikarp uses Bounce and Dragonite wakes up, attacking with a T-bolt, but it misses because Magikarp used Bounce.
    - Magikarp's Bounce vs a 0HP/0Def (w/neutral Def nature) Dragonite:
    Min: 141 Avg: 153.89 Max: 166

(This will 2HKO on Dragonite if it rolls max damage both times, however, for this example I'll use the avg damage to make things more interesting.)
    After the Bounce, Dragonite uses T-bolt on Magikarp to break its Substitute. Magikarp goes for another Bounce, Dragonite's T-bolt misses. Magikarp's Bounce rolls avg damage again allowing Dragonite to survive and T-bolt. Now, that's it for Magikarp, right? No! Magikarp has a Focus Sash that allows it to survive with 1HP. Here's where Magikarp can potentially sweep a team using Flail!
    - Magikarp's Flail (@1HP) vs a 0HP/0Def (w/neutral Def nature) Dragonite:
    Min: 330 Avg: 359.6 Max: 388

Magikarp for Ubers! That is all.

billie_lightning

Lightning Queen
    Years
  • depends on what you mean by useless.
    If you want to use the said pokemon for battle, then don't even get me started
    but all pokemon serve their purpose =)

EXCEPT Bidoof.
    Bidoof has no purpose. At all.
    I got out of my way to knock these suckers out.
    GO AWAY BIDOOF Dx

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    The only real useless one is Phione. Everything has its place outside of battle.

Euphoric Magikarp

Magikarp ~<3
    Years
  • Quilfish is the most useless since it's never remembered anyway. Plus it doesn't evolve so it's basically useless. =\

Wah, I love Quilfish dude, I always try to catch one when playing G/S.

A pokemon that's useless to me would have to be Feebas and Milotic. I mean I know they're popular Pokemon, but aren't they just clones of Magikarp and Gyarados?

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    I like Phione.

And you know, Magikarp is intended to be a really useless Pokemon, even if everyone thinks it's uber and blah.

Katana

Doin' it Katana Style!
    Years
  • I like Phione.

And you know, Magikarp is intended to be a really useless Pokemon, even if everyone thinks it's uber and blah.

I don't know yvette, they do call it the "King of all Carp" for a reason.
    I mean, the statistics I listed do not lie. And if anyone cares:
    - Magikarp's Bounce (w/Belly Drum/Salac Boost taken into account) vs a 0HP/0Def (w/neutral Def nature) Palkia:
    Min: 135 Avg: 147.45 Max: 159

(Almost a 2HKO, but will always be a 3HKO at least)
    - Magikarp's Flail ("") (@1HP) vs a 0HP/0Def ("") Palkia:
    Min: 316 Avg: 344.4 Max: 372

(Odds are you'll get a OHKO on Palkia!)

Yeah, all with a Base Atk = 10. Har!

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
  • 1. Dunsparce. After 2 generations of its existance, it still only has that one useless form. Shouldn't it have been given an evolution by now?

2. Unown--Random pieces of crap that are fun to collect but are utterly useless

3. Ditto--Well, at least it's good for breeding. I'll give it that much.

Zennyo Ryūō

In love with CoD - WaW. XD
    Years
  • Luvdisc and Mime Jr. They have no use whatsoever.

RaikaCastillo said:
    1. Dunsparce. After 2 generations of its existance, it still only has that one useless form. Shouldn't it have been given an evolution by now?

I hate your soul.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    I have to agree with the guy who said Dunsparce... but only on the part where he said Dunsparce.
    I always loved it for some odd reason, and thought it was awesome looking.
    But I gotta admit, outside of eye candy... I haven't seen a use for it.
    [I was bound and determined it could evolve somehow with the Shed Skin item, since they both had the same shape... but turns out I was wrong =[ ]

Years
  • if u say ditto is useless than u basically say all pkmn are useless since it can transform into anything

as for my opinion:
    bidoff sentret rattata etc.

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
  • if u say ditto is useless than u basically say all pkmn are useless since it can transform into anything

as for my opinion:
    bidoff sentret rattata etc.

1. Sure it can transform into anything but it is a weak version of whatever it transforms into.

2. Rattata is vastly overrated. It can evolve into Raticate and when raised right, it can deal some damage. You're entitled to your opinion though.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I always considered Dunsparce to be useless, I mean really, its just....there.
    I also consider Quilfish and Luvdisc to be useless becuase of how mysterious they are, by that I mean clearly no one has a good explanation of what importance these three have aside from being....there.

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
    Years
  • hmm idk who the most useless is but I will step up and defend little phione :-D

he is good and I can tell you why in one word.. Hydration

This ability gives him so much utility whether its on a rain dance team, my sushi dance team, or just on a UU team. Great annoyer, great staller.

And as for dunsparce, I loved him when I found him outside of that cave in G/S. But he didn't really have use at least for me, until D/P when I took advantage of its serene grace. Charge Beam is a great idea with that bug, if you can pull it off. but that's half the fun

and luvdisc has a clear purpose. For people to read its review on smogon and laugh hysterically then show their pokemon trainer friends.

*****As for qwilfish picture him on a rain dance team. I'd say if you look at his attack and boosted speed and could keep them permanently he'd be OU at least. dual stabss and all he's sick with a little waterfall, poison jab. especially if its wet out

rattata is so useful whether you're looking at its FEAR form or even the fact that it's one of three to use super fang in its arsenal. this little guy brings any opps HP to 50% how dirty is that. A lot of options here, I won't list them all but rattata can be extremely useful he can counter, he can reversal. He can even endeavor and quick attack after a little focus assistance.

hahaha Ditto? useless? are we thinking of the same pokemon?? Where would our 100% bred teams be coming from? Where would we breed to get babies to fill up our dex from pokemon we traded for?

Last edited:

Peanutz

So i herd you leik peanutz?
    Years
  • Luvdisc is really unnecessary. But, in Ruby I always caught them, then released them to stock up on heart scales.
    BTW, I also kinda hate Phione.

I used to do the same thing with Luvdiscs in Emerald.
    Doesn't that mean Luvdiscs aren't useless, due to the fact we use them to stock up on Heart Scales? O_o

I would say Magikarp, but it evolves into one of the greatest Pokemon EVER, so I guess that's out of question.

I do agree with anyone who said Dunsparce and Qwilfish. They were pretty useless, I never really bothered to catch them.

Bidoof and Bibarel aren't good for anything except being HM slaves.

Phione is pretty much useless. Doesn't really have anything special about it.

I agree with RaikaCastillo, Unown are useless.

Years
  • If not for Luvdisc, we wouldn't have the great comedic material from it's article on smogon. Hey, it's something at least. =P

Gars129

Is now focused on other things
    Years
  • Chingling, what did they even do that for. Isnt Chimecho weak enough already. Seriously, in R/S i didnt know chime existed until i checked the strategy guide. Then nintendo fixed its error, made it a bit easier to find in emerald (i think, i know i got one and used it because "if it was that rare, it had to be good), gave it a big role in the anime, and gave it a pre evo. Serously, no pkmn is as useless as ching, doesnt learn anything useful than chimecho doesnt, sucks in little cup (i think) and its so useful, nobody remembered it here.

Back