• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I just recently got a Shiny Latias in trade, which I hope to be able to use competitively.
    Anyone have a good moveset for single battles that doesn't use HP Fire, and includes EVs and an item?
    Also, the nature is Timid.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I just recently got a Shiny Latias in trade, which I hope to be able to use competitively.
    Anyone have a good moveset for single battles that doesn't use HP Fire, and includes EVs and an item?
    Also, the nature is Timid.

HP Fire isn't a necessity, but Defog is, sadly (it's from a Gen IV TM). Here's a potential set:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Thunderbolt/Surf
    -Healing Wish/Roost
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 72 HP/184 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    HP Fire isn't a necessity, but Defog is, sadly (it's from a Gen IV TM). Here's a potential set:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Thunderbolt/Surf
    -Healing Wish/Roost
    EVs: 72 HP/184 SAtk/252 Spe

I believe it has Defog, so I think a defog moveset is fine, if it works better :)

Years
  • I have a quick question, what are a few of the better Doubles Tyranitar sets? I'm trying to build a VGC team and I would really appreciate a good opinion or two. Thanks in advance! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I have a quick question, what are a few of the better Doubles Tyranitar sets? I'm trying to build a VGC team and I would really appreciate a good opinion or two. Thanks in advance! :)

As weird as this sounds special Tyranitar is viable in VGC formats, as it's not as crippled by burn as the physical variants:
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    -Dark Pulse/Ice Beam
    -Fire Blast/Ice Beam
    -Protect
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Sand Stream

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Rock Slide
    -Crunch
    -Protect
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Tyranitarite/Lum Berry/Weakness Policy

or
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    -Dark Pulse
    -Fire Blast
    -Ice Beam
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Anyone have suggestions for what to do with a Reckless Emboar? my original Emboar was Brave and had Hammer Arm, Gyro Ball, Assurance (all 4 of those things being self explanatory! to capitalize on it's slower speed) and Flare Blitz, however, with Reckless I was thinking of doing all the the recoil moves to capitalize on it's ability, so I was thinking Flare Blitz, Head Smash, Wild Charge and Hammer Arm, but since I don't have Assurance or Gyro ball anymore, I can't see any reason to intentionally lower it's speed with the nature or Hammer Arm anymore, so what nature and moves (particularly what fighting move cause I don't want to use Super Power to lower it's already bad Def) should I go for a Reckless Emboar? (I did initally want to go for a special move because since Att, Hp and Sp Att are it's only good stats, you'd think that obviously you'd want to try to capitalize on that, but I don't see how)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Anyone have suggestions for what to do with a Reckless Emboar? my original Emboar was Brave and had Hammer Arm, Gyro Ball, Assurance (all 4 of those things being self explanatory! to capitalize on it's slower speed) and Flare Blitz, however, with Reckless I was thinking of doing all the the recoil moves to capitalize on it's ability, so I was thinking Flare Blitz, Head Smash, Wild Charge and Hammer Arm, but since I don't have Assurance or Gyro ball anymore, I can't see any reason to intentionally lower it's speed with the nature or Hammer Arm anymore, so what nature and moves (particularly what fighting move cause I don't want to use Super Power to lower it's already bad Def) should I go for a Reckless Emboar? (I did initally want to go for a special move because since Att, Hp and Sp Att are it's only good stats, you'd think that obviously you'd want to try to capitalize on that, but I don't see how)

Assurance only works if the target was previously damaged on the same turn, not the user (i.e. if it took damage from hazards). Superpower is meant to be a hit-and-run attack, but Hammer Arm can be used to make Emboar "faster" under Trick Room:
    -Flare Blitz
    -Superpower
    -Wild Charge
    -Sucker Punch/Head Smash/Sleep Talk
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
    Ability: Reckless

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Superpower
    -Wild Charge
    -Sleep Talk/Head Smash
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Reckless

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Hey everyone, which is the better move Toxic, or Thunder Wave and why? I keep hearing different opinions, do they both do the same amount of damage? Thank you! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey everyone, which is the better move Toxic, or Thunder Wave and why? I keep hearing different opinions, do they both do the same amount of damage? Thank you! :)

Thunder Wave simply paralyzes non-Ground/Electric targets; paralysis doesn't inflict passive damage. This is excellent against speedy offensive Pokemon, as paralysis reduces their Speed and has a 25% chance of preventing that Pokemon from attacking. Toxic, on the other hand, is more effective against defensive Pokemon lacking Natural Cure, Heal Bell or Refresh because of the steadily increasing passive damage it inflicts each turn.

In the end, what move should be used depends on what your team tends to struggle with more.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • I'm trying out a sandstorm team and I'm looking at SR support tyranitar. I had this Pokemon back in BW but was going to make some changes.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Impish
    - Dragon Dance
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

Change to
    Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Relaxed
    - Ice Beam
    - Fire Blast
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch/Earthquake

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm trying out a sandstorm team and I'm looking at SR support tyranitar. I had this Pokemon back in BW but was going to make some changes.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Impish
    - Dragon Dance
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

Change to
    Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Relaxed
    - Ice Beam
    - Fire Blast
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch/Earthquake
    Forgoing a STAB for no reason isn't good; this applies to Tyranitar:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Rock Slide/Ice Beam/Thunder Wave
    -Crunch/Pursuit
    -Fire Blast
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 248 HP/132 Def/124 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Smooth Rock

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Hey everyone, how can you get a chansey with seismic toss in platinum besides breeding? Is there another way and how would you get it by breeding? Thank you! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey everyone, how can you get a chansey with seismic toss in platinum besides breeding? Is there another way and how would you get it by breeding? Thank you! :)

Seismic Toss didn't become one of Chansey's egg moves until Gen VI. I'm afraid the only way to get Seismic Toss Chansey into Gen IV is to transfer one from FireRed/LeafGreen.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    A simple question. How does air slash, kings rock, and serene grace work together?

My togekiss is a tank breaker, and I want his flinch chance to be as high as possible. So I want to know if these three things have 60%, 63%, 70%, or 80% to flinch.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Which is more commonly used on Gengar, Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Which is more commonly used on Gengar, Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave?

Sludge Wave is used more often on Gengar so it won't get walled by Bulletproof Chesnaught. However, as Sludge Wave Gengar is hard to get a hold of in cartridge play, most cartridge variants have to make do with Sludge Bomb.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • What's a good set for Tyrantrum? Both the rock head and strong jaws variant?

I can't decide which one I want to use more. Is DD viable on it? Or is choice scarf a better option?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back