• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • What's a good set for Tyrantrum? Both the rock head and strong jaws variant?

I can't decide which one I want to use more. Is DD viable on it? Or is choice scarf a better option?

Rock Head is the preferred ability on Tyrantrum because of recoil-free Head Smashes. You could use Dragon Dance on it, but you still have to watch out for Bullet Punch and Mach Punch:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Head Smash
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake/Fire Fang
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Rock Head

or
    -Head Smash
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Fang/Ice Fang
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    Ability: Rock Head

For the Strong Jaw variant, feel free to use Stone Edge over Head Smash and Ice Fang over Outrage

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • I feel like I have questions about Pokemon everyday. UH.

I'm running a Jolly Greninja for fun and was wondering what moves to give it. So far, I have:
    Greninja @ Choice Band
    Jolly 252Atk/252Spe/4HP
    - Waterfall
    - U-Turn
    - Shadow Sneak

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Gunk Shot and Low Kick are great physical coverage moves for Greninja. I don't really see the point in running U-Turn tbh

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Gunk Shot I think one of the best moves. The whole reason this fella got banned to Ubers(I believe)

Gunk Shot and Low Kick served as the catalysts for people to realize how broken Greninja was, but the primary reasons why it was banned were Protean and its ridiculous speed.

note: sorry for all the notifications. i kept derping up while writing this post, haha

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I feel like I have questions about Pokemon everyday. UH.

I'm running a Jolly Greninja for fun and was wondering what moves to give it. So far, I have:
    Greninja @ Choice Band
    Jolly 252Atk/252Spe/4HP
    - Waterfall
    - U-Turn
    - Shadow Sneak
    To add to what the others said, pure physical Greninja is terrible. Even though it gained Gunk Shot and Low Kick as extra coverage moves, it should stick to special-based mixed attacking because its special moves have better coverage.

Years
  • Hello!

I would like to build an NU team and would like to start by building a specially defensive Vileplume. I have an unusual set idea that may just be stupid enough to work, but I would appreciate a second opinion.

Vileplume @ Assault Vest
    Calm Nature
    252 HP 164 Sp. Atk 92 Sp. Def
    -Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Moonblast
    -Sludge Bomb/Venoshock (a teammate would be running Toxic in this case)

Thanks in advance :)

Hello!

I would like to build an NU team and would like to start by building a specially defensive Vileplume. I have an unusual set idea that may just be stupid enough to work, but I would appreciate a second opinion.

Vileplume @ Assault Vest
    Calm Nature
    -Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Moonblast

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hello!

Vileplume @ Assault Vest
    Calm Nature
    -Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Moonblast

Vileplume is better off physically defensive, as most of its resistances are physically-based. Using an Assault Vest also deprives Vileplume of its good support options:
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Aromatherapy/Sleep Powder
    -Moonlight
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP/160 Def/96 SDef (lets Vileplume take a +2 Life Orb Lilligant's Hidden Power Fire while still giving it some physical bulk)
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Effect Spore

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering which pokemon is better Togekiss or Blissey? Thank you! :)
    They're both good Pokemon but with different purposes. Blissey makes for a good special wall, while Togekiss has paraflinch shenanigans or can run a Nasty Plot set to give defensive teams a hard time.

Years
  • Vileplume is better off physically defensive, as most of its resistances are physically-based. Using an Assault Vest also deprives Vileplume of its good support options:
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Aromatherapy/Sleep Powder
    -Moonlight
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP/160 Def/96 SDef (lets Vileplume take a +2 Life Orb Lilligant's Hidden Power Fire while still giving it some physical bulk)
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Effect Spore

Thanks, I'll try out this set, as well as my own. I tend to focus on team synergy over all else, so my Pokemon sets often come out strange just so they can work well with other teammates. (also, sorry for the double post. My iPad has been acting very strange as of late)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Close Combat on Granbull, yea or nea? I ask because while I normally hate this move on everything but a couple pokemon because of the dual defense drop with it's already low defenses and awful speed, I have gotten multiple snubull in wonder trade with Close Combat and many move set suggestions online suggest Close Combat, so should I keep the move for my Snubbull?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Close Combat on Granbull, yea or nea? I ask because while I normally hate this move on everything but a couple pokemon because of the dual defense drop with it's already low defenses and awful speed, I have gotten multiple snubull in wonder trade with Close Combat and many move set suggestions online suggest Close Combat, so should I keep the move for my Snubbull?

Close Combat is pretty much useless on defensive Granbull, as it wastes away the point of its bulk. It, however, is an option on Choice Band sets to hit Steels hard. If you want to go offensive with Granbull, keep Close Combat if you want.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    They're both good Pokemon but with different purposes. Blissey makes for a good special wall, while Togekiss has paraflinch shenanigans or can run a Nasty Plot set to give defensive teams a hard time.

Ok, I understand. However, which would be the more useful pokemon and which would be the more offensive of the two? Thank you! :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering what the easiest way to get a lot of coins in the Veilstone Game Corner in Platinum is? Is there a quick way to get a lot of coins because it takes so long! Thank you! :)

Also, what is the better move Flamethrower or Ice Beam and why? Or, are they pretty similar since they do the same amount of damage? Thank you! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Could've asked this in the 4th-gen Quick Quetsions thread; this thread is for competitive battling, but w/e.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what the easiest way to get a lot of coins in the Veilstone Game Corner in Platinum is? Is there a quick way to get a lot of coins because it takes so long! Thank you! :)

Also, what is the better move Flamethrower or Ice Beam and why? Or, are they pretty similar since they do the same amount of damage? Thank you! :)
    There are NPCs who will give you coins to get you started without you having to pay money to buy coins. You can then spend the coins in the slot machines to try to earn coins.

As for Flamethrower and Ice Beam, they're equally effective, though Fire Blast > Flamethrower, as the former's accuracy is still acceptable. It all depends on your team.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

They're pretty much equal in general, both are super effective against 4 types and both are not very effective against 4 types, what are you using it on because something if it's (for example) a pokemon that would be weak against steel type moves you would be better off using Flamethrower if you find yourself up against a Steel Type pokemon.

Question: So I am breeding a Sigilyph at the moment and all it's abilities are good, so I don't really know which one to go for. I initially decided to go with Magic Guard and give it a Life Orb, (while Wonder Skin is also a good ability, it's basically the same ability as Magic Guard just with 50% effectiveness and no protection from Life Orb) but I am looking more at Tinted Lens to double the power of moves that aren't very effective so I'm not sure which route to go for and just looking for opinions on which ability I should go for. (if I don't go with Magic Guard I probably also won't go with Life Orb either, if that helps with people's advice)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • They're pretty much equal in general, both are super effective against 4 types and both are not very effective against 4 types, what are you using it on because something if it's (for example) a pokemon that would be weak against steel type moves you would be better off using Flamethrower if you find yourself up against a Steel Type pokemon.

Question: So I am breeding a Sigilyph at the moment and all it's abilities are good, so I don't really know which one to go for. I initially decided to go with Magic Guard and give it a Life Orb, (while Wonder Skin is also a good ability, it's basically the same ability as Magic Guard just with 50% effectiveness and no protection from Life Orb) but I am looking more at Tinted Lens to double the power of moves that aren't very effective so I'm not sure which route to go for and just looking for opinions on which ability I should go for. (if I don't go with Magic Guard I probably also won't go with Life Orb either, if that helps with people's advice)
    Magic Guard is generally the best ability to go for because the immunity to Life Orb recoil and burn/poison damage is good. Tinted Lens comes close for offensive sets.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back