• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    Sandstorm Team

I'm currently breeding a sandstorm team and I've currently got
    Spoiler:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Sandstorm Team

I'm currently breeding a sandstorm team and I've currently got
    Spoiler:

Re-breed Drilbur and Hippopotas. Neither have the right natures; both waste one of their good stats. Drilbur should be Adamant, while Hippopotas should be Impish or Careful.

Having only one of Tyranitar or Hippowdon is enough, as both stack weaknesses.

You could use Gliscor, but you'll adding on more weaknesses.

Other Pokemon to fill in sand teams are Talonflame (who can take out Grass Pokemon with priority Brave Birds) and Mega Altaria (who can resist the Water attacks sand teams generally struggle with):

Talonflame:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 88 HP/252 Atk/168 Spe
    Item: Sharp Beak/Sky Plate
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Steel Wing/Tailwind
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird
    -Taunt/Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Mega Altaria:
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast
    -Heal Bell/Earthquake
    -Roost
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Altarianite

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    Re-breed Drilbur and Hippopotas. Neither have the right natures; both waste one of their good stats. Drilbur should be Adamant, while Hippopotas should be Impish or Careful.

Having only one of Tyranitar or Hippowdon is enough, as both stack weaknesses.

You could use Gliscor, but you'll adding on more weaknesses.

Other Pokemon to fill in sand teams are Talonflame (who can take out Grass Pokemon with priority Brave Birds) and Mega Altaria (who can resist the Water attacks sand teams generally struggle with):

Talonflame:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 88 HP/252 Atk/168 Spe
    Item: Sharp Beak/Sky Plate

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Steel Wing/Tailwind
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird
    -Taunt/Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Mega Altaria:
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast
    -Heal Bell/Earthquake
    -Roost
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Altarianite

Oh right ok, What should the IV stats be and which pokemon is best to use Hippopotas or Tyranitar

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So, couple of questions.

What's a poke that destroys Chansey but isn't really obvious about it (and is not a mega)? Cuz yeah, Fighting types and Ghost types wreck Chansey but that's so obvious that it gets the fuck outta there when it sees one, so that's not exactly helpful.

And for Scarf Diggersby: Wild Charge, Thunder Punch, or something else?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • So, couple of questions.

What's a poke that destroys Chansey but isn't really obvious about it (and is not a mega)? Cuz yeah, Fighting types and Ghost types wreck Chansey but that's so obvious that it gets the fuck outta there when it sees one, so that's not exactly helpful.

And for Scarf Diggersby: Wild Charge, Thunder Punch, or something else?

Stall breaker Heatran can lure, trap and KO Chansey:
    -Magma Storm
    -Earth Power
    -Taunt
    -Toxic
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon

In addition to STABs and U-turn, Scarf Diggersby uses Knock Off or Fire Punch. The former hits Gengar hard and also removes items while the latter hits Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarmory.

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I hesitate asking this because U-Turn is one of those moves where everyone always suggests putting it on everything no matter what (kind of like the comment on this pic saying "Use Stealth Rock in EVERY battle!"
    Spoiler:
    ) but I am currently breeding an Emolga and my initial thought was to put U-Turn on it, however, it has Motor Drive and will be holding a Cell Battery and have Acrobatics so if it gets hit in battle with an electric attack it gets a boost to speed and attack and doubles the strength of it's STAB flying move, however, by using U-Turn it then loses both boosts to speed and attack so in hindsight it's actually not beneficial, so the question is, should I put U-Turn on it or something else? (and yes, my Emolga will be a physical Emolga)

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I hesitate asking this because U-Turn is one of those moves where everyone always suggests putting it on everything no matter what (kind of like the comment on this pic saying "Use Stealth Rock in EVERY battle!"
    Spoiler:
    ) but I am currently breeding an Emolga and my initial thought was to put U-Turn on it, however, it has Motor Drive and will be holding a Cell Battery and have Acrobatics so if it gets hit in battle with an electric attack it gets a boost to speed and attack and doubles the strength of it's STAB flying move, however, by using U-Turn it then loses both boosts to speed and attack so in hindsight it's actually not beneficial, so the question is, should I put U-Turn on it or something else? (and yes, my Emolga will be a physical Emolga)

Well, you can use whatever you want/think will work better. The question would be more, how many times will you be hit by electric type attacks? I feel that strategy to be very gimmicky and case dependent, to be honest. If you feel you can make use of it, then by all means do it. If not, well, U-Turn is a really nice move.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Well, you can use whatever you want/think will work better. The question would be more, how many times will you be hit by electric type attacks? I feel that strategy to be very gimmicky and case dependent, to be honest. If you feel you can make use of it, then by all means do it. If not, well, U-Turn is a really nice move.

Oh it absolutely is Gimmicky, Emolga is so frail and the ONLY stat it has that's really worthwhile is speed, so I gotta do SOMETHING with it, lol! :D I'm using it more on a switch in basis (so have a water or flying type out in battle first, if the opponent is likely to use an electric type move then switch in Emolga for whatever was weak against electric attacks. I only need to get hit the once to make use of the strategy, really. But having u-turn would then negate that whole thing and I couldn't do it again that battle because the Cell Battery is consumable. So having said that, I was also considering Ion Deluge (that turns normal attacks into Electric attacks) would that be a worthwhile move instead of U-Turn? It increases the potential of getting hit with electric attacks at least.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Oh it absolutely is Gimmicky, Emolga is so frail and the ONLY stat it has that's really worthwhile is speed, so I gotta do SOMETHING with it, lol! :D I'm using it more on a switch in basis (so have a water or flying type out in battle first, if the opponent is likely to use an electric type move then switch in Emolga for whatever was weak against electric attacks. I only need to get hit the once to make use of the strategy, really. But having u-turn would then negate that whole thing and I couldn't do it again that battle because the Cell Battery is consumable. So having said that, I was also considering Ion Deluge (that turns normal attacks into Electric attacks) would that be a worthwhile move instead of U-Turn? It increases the potential of getting hit with electric attacks at least.
    I think, the main problem is: as soon as your Emolga gets hit by an Electric type attack on a switch in, there's a possibility that your opponent switches out to a Ground type Pokemon, rendering all your Electric type attacks worthless. That's why U-Turn is useful, because if you know that your opponent switches, you can use it to switch into something that can take that Ground type on and now he has to react to that.

But if it's just for ingame purposes, you might as well omit U-Turn, because your opponents don't really switch anyway. Just make sure you have something you can hit Pokemon with that resist both Electric and Flying moves.

Or maybe something like Knock Off, because today everything that can learn Knock Off should run it. {XD}

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I hesitate asking this because U-Turn is one of those moves where everyone always suggests putting it on everything no matter what (kind of like the comment on this pic saying "Use Stealth Rock in EVERY battle!"
    Spoiler:
    Hey bud, competitive questions are way better suited to this thread, especially if they relate to movesets. So ask in here in future and you'll be sure to get some good advice!

Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Hey bud, competitive questions are way better suited to this thread, especially if they relate to movesets. So ask in here in future and you'll be sure to get some good advice!

Thanks.

It wasn't a competitive question though, it was specifically to get people's opinions on putting U-Turn on Emolga or not. The problem with posting something like that in the competitive forum is you ALWAYS get 99% of people going "Well Smogon says to put it on, so you should put it on" and I was looking for actual opinions, pros/cons, why/why nots from normal battlers.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    It wasn't a competitive question though, it was specifically to get people's opinions on putting U-Turn on Emolga or not. The problem with posting something like that in the competitive forum is you ALWAYS get 99% of people going "Well Smogon says to put it on, so you should put it on" and I was looking for actual opinions, pros/cons, why/why nots from normal battlers.

Isn't Volt-Switch a better option for Emolga, if only for STAB?

Although U-Turn does give you an edge over Dark and Psychic types...

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Isn't Volt-Switch a better option for Emolga, if only for STAB?

Although U-Turn does give you an edge over Dark and Psychic types...

It's got Wild Charge for STAB, as well as Acrobatics, also it's a physical Emolga, so all around Volt Switch just isn't worth the move slot. (also if I am up against a ground type, I can't use Volt Switch anyway)

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    It's got Wild Charge for STAB, as well as Acrobatics, also it's a physical Emolga, so all around Volt Switch just isn't worth the move slot. (also if I am up against a ground type, I can't use Volt Switch anyway)

Ah, well, if your strategy and team would benefit from U-Turn, I'd say go for it; it all boils down to your preferred battle style

I prefer fast physical/special attackers with rather pitiful defense, so if the battle goes on, I'm at a disadvantage

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Hey everyone,
    Is the move egg bomb any good? It seems to not do much damage (which doesn't make much sense, since its' listed power is 100!) and seems to be pretty worthless... is this the case or am I being a bit too harsh? Thank you! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey everyone,

Is the move egg bomb any good? It seems to not do much damage (which doesn't make much sense, since its' listed power is 100!) and seems to be pretty worthless... is this the case or am I being a bit too harsh? Thank you! :)

Egg Bomb is outclassed by Return because the latter is more accurate (and also has slightly higher BP when the user is at max happiness). Not only that, the Pokemon who can learn it (Chansey, Blissey, Exeggutor) can't really make good use of it. The pink blobs' Attack stats are pathetic, while the walking coconut tree is better off using special attacks.

ElectricN

*006119011483‬
    Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2019
    Online Comp. Help?

So I'm trying to register for the international challenge, but when I do it says one or more of my pokemon are not eligble. I've read the rules and I'm not breaking any of them. All of them are caught or hatched from one of the 3ds games, each one has the blue pentagon, I really haven't taught any moves outside of tutors/dexnav/and tms, no two are holding the same item, and none of them are legendaries.

What should I do?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Which online competition are you taking about, and what exactly are the details of your team? They also have to be placed in the Battle Box btw.

ElectricN

*006119011483‬
    Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2019
    Which online competition are you taking about, and what exactly are the details of your team? They also have to be placed in the Battle Box btw.

It's the international challenge February, and all the pokemon are in my battle box

Venusaur lvl 73 with venusaurite
    Synthesis
    Sludge Bomb
    Giga drain
    Toxic

Flygon lvl 74 with wide lens
    Earth power
    Dragon claw
    Stone edge
    Fireblast

Milotic lvl 84 with rocky helmet
    Recover
    Dragon pulse
    Hydro pump
    Blizzard

Gardevoir lvl 55 with gardevoirite
    draining kiss
    Psychic
    Moonblast
    Will o wisp

Scizor lvl 70 with Scizorite
    X scissor
    Roost
    Bullet punch
    Air slash

Ninetales lvl 74 with lax incense
    Will o wisp
    Fire last
    Solar beam
    Dark pulse

All were caught in x or oras and haven't done anything to mod them. When I try to register it says one or more isnt eligible

Years
  • It's the international challenge February, and all the pokemon are in my battle box

Venusaur lvl 73 with venusaurite
    Synthesis
    Sludge Bomb
    Giga drain
    Toxic

Flygon lvl 74 with wide lens
    Earth power
    Dragon claw
    Stone edge
    Fireblast

Milotic lvl 84 with rocky helmet
    Recover
    Dragon pulse
    Hydro pump
    Blizzard

Gardevoir lvl 55 with gardevoirite
    draining kiss
    Psychic
    Moonblast
    Will o wisp

Scizor lvl 70 with Scizorite
    X scissor
    Roost
    Bullet punch
    Air slash

Ninetales lvl 74 with lax incense
    Will o wisp
    Fire last
    Solar beam
    Dark pulse

All were caught in x or oras and haven't done anything to mod them. When I try to register it says one or more isnt eligible

There may be a rule against having more than one mega, since that's all that I can see wrong with your team...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back