• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Can Garchomp still be used effectively without utilising its Mega Evolution? If so, what's a good set for it?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Can Garchomp still be used effectively without utilising its Mega Evolution? If so, what's a good set for it?

Outside of sandstorm conditions, Garchomp outclasses its Mega Evolution entirely, as Mega Garchomp's lowered Speed is a hindrance.

Sets:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Swords Dance
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry/Focus Sash/Rocky Helmet

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Fire Fang
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    -Fire Blast/Dragon Claw
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Toxic
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
    Years
  • Moveset and EVs for Mega Blastoise?

I am breeding for a perfect Mega Blastoise at the moment, but I doubt about its best moveset and EVs. A friend said I should have coverage for Grass and Electric too, but that makes this a lot more difficult... Can anybody help?

Right now I'm thinking about:
    - Aura Sphere
    - Water Pulse
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam

Moves that I might want to use as well:
    - Scald instead of Water Pulse
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Dark Pulse
    - A Ground-type move?
    - Blizzard instead of Ice Beam

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I am breeding for a perfect Mega Blastoise at the moment, but I doubt about its best moveset and EVs. A friend said I should have coverage for Grass and Electric too, but that makes this a lot more difficult... Can anybody help?

- Aura Sphere
    - Water Pulse
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam

- Dragon Pulse
    - Dark Pulse
    - A Ground-type move?
    Dark Pulse is mandatory on Mega Blastoise. Not having it wastes away its niche of beating Ghost Pokemon one-on-one before it Rapid Spins:
    -Water Pulse/Scald/Hydro Pump (personal preference)
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Blastoisinite

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I am breeding for a perfect Mega Blastoise at the moment, but I doubt about its best moveset and EVs. A friend said I should have coverage for Grass and Electric too, but that makes this a lot more difficult... Can anybody help?

- Aura Sphere
    - Water Pulse
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam

- Dragon Pulse
    - Dark Pulse
    - A Ground-type move?

Dragon pulse is useless when you have ice beam (ice beam covers dragon, flying, and grass instead if just dragon. I would reccomend a ground type to switch into a predicted thunderbolt from an electric type. And ice beam > blizzard. What's the point of a coverage move if it will miss?

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2015
    pinsir moveset

My pinsir currently knows
    X scissor...stab and coverage
    Close combat...more coverage
    Rock slide...coverage
    Earthquake. ..coverage

But because when it mega evolves all normal type moves become flying type. I was thinking of teaching it thrash. Is that a good idea? If so what move should I get rid off?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • My pinsir currently knows
    X scissor...stab and coverage
    Close combat...more coverage
    Rock slide...coverage
    Earthquake. ..coverage

But because when it mega evolves all normal type moves become flying type. I was thinking of teaching it thrash. Is that a good idea? If so what move should I get rid off?

I would get rid of Rock Slide for Return or Quick Attack if you can provided that you bred it first.

To condense, Mega Pinsir has little room for deviation, as Swords Dance makes it more threatening, Return provides a strong STAB, Quick Attack provides priority and Earthquake/Close Combat let it deal with Steel Pokemon. X-Scissor doesn't hit anything noteworthy that Return can't:
    -Swords Dance
    -Return
    -Close Combat/Earthquake
    -Quick Attack
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Pinsirite
    Ability: Hyper Cutter/Mold Breaker

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2015
    I can't see swords dance working. Pinsir is made to hit hard and fast. While setting up swords dance I'll get ko'ed

Professor_Jared

Mr. Fish trainer
    Years
  • -You have to choose when would be a good time to send Pinsir out, and have him set up on the opposition, so it's kind of like Charizard and Charizard X in that respect.

For example you wouldn't switch Pinsir in on a rock move, or have Pinsir mega evolve and set-up Swords Dance on a Tyranitar (Which would be incredibly stupid by the way). No with Pinsir and Mega Pinsir you have to choose your battles and switch-ins wisely if you want to set up and sweep with it.

-Then of course there are Pinsir's team mates whom can help eliminate its checks and counters, and help Pinsir wreak havoc on the opposing team in turn.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What are the good Scrafty builds? I'm looking for a defensive one but I'd also like to know if it can pull off offense.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Dark Pulse is mandatory on Mega Blastoise. Not having it wastes away its niche of beating Ghost Pokemon one-on-one before it Rapid Spins:
    -Water Pulse/Scald/Hydro Pump (personal preference)
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Blastoisinite

It's not 'mandatory' but it is very helpful in situations where it's up against ghost types.

What are the good Scrafty builds? I'm looking for a defensive one but I'd also like to know if it can pull off offense.

It can do both; here's 2 I use to great effect.

Scrafty (Offensive)

Ability: Moxie
    Held Item: Lum Berry
    IV's: 31 in all but Sp Atk
    EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP (or def, or sp def)
    Moveset: Protect, Dragon Dance, Drain Punch, Crunch
    Notes: Protect to scout, as fairy will destroy it and dazzling gleam is everywhere. Lum Berry because it won't take very well to Burns or Paralysis at all, and of course if it's asleep it's useless. Toxic will also set it up to be out-stalled while it tries to sweep, and with a jolly nature one dragon dance makes it oustpeed a lot quickly. Coverage between dark and fighting is pretty fair, especially once you've eliminated fairies on their team. Grab a single KO after a dragon dance, and this set is horrifying to deal with.

Scrafty: (Defensive)

Nature: Careful / Impish
    Ability: Shed Skin
    Held Item: Leftovers
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def / Sp Def (depending on nature) 6 in opposite defense of 252.
    Moveset: Bulk Up, Drain Punch, Crunch, Toxic / Protect
    Notes: Bulk up lets it surpass the lack of attack investment, and covers its defense nicely if you opted for Sp Def EV's, or make it a very imposing physical wall. It still wont' handle fairy well, but toxic or protect can help deal with that as it racks up leftovers recovery. Or switches out, because really - fairies scare scrafty. Shed Skin works wonders for dropping status especially in tandem with Protect and Leftovers. It should never go down due to burn or poison.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It's not 'mandatory' but it is very helpful in situations where it's up against ghost types.

It can do both; here's 2 I use to great effect.

Scrafty (Offensive)

Ability: Moxie
    Held Item: Lum Berry
    EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP (or def, or sp def)
    Moveset: Protect, Dragon Dance, Drain Punch, Crunch
    Notes: Protect to scout, as fairy will destroy it and dazzling gleam is everywhere. Lum Berry because it won't take very well to Burns or Paralysis at all, and of course if it's asleep it's useless. Toxic will also set it up to be out-stalled while it tries to sweep, and with a jolly nature one dragon dance makes it oustpeed a lot quickly. Coverage between dark and fighting is pretty fair, especially once you've eliminated fairies on their team. Grab a single KO after a dragon dance, and this set is horrifying to deal with.

Scrafty: (Defensive)

Nature: Careful / Impish
    Held Item: Leftovers
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def / Sp Def (depending on nature) 6 in opposite defense of 252.
    Moveset: Bulk Up, Drain Punch, Crunch, Toxic / Protect
    Notes: Bulk up lets it surpass the lack of attack investment, and covers its defense nicely if you opted for Sp Def EV's, or make it a very imposing physical wall. It still wont' handle fairy well, but toxic or protect can help deal with that as it racks up leftovers recovery. Or switches out, because really - fairies scare scrafty. Shed Skin works wonders for dropping status especially in tandem with Protect and Leftovers. It should never go down due to burn or poison.

What I mean is that Mega Blastoise is never seen without Dark Pulse because of the reason I mentioned, its niche of beating Ghost Pokemon, aka spin blockers, before it gets a Rapid Spin off.

Why would you use Protect even on Dragon Dance Scrafty? That move is better used in multi battle formats or on Pokemon that need to stall for burn/poison damage (and for some Mega Pokemon, to Mega Evolve safely). That slot is better spent on Iron Head to deal with Fairies or Zen Headbutt for Toxicroak and Heracross; all three of those kinds of Pokemon resists Dark/Fighting. High Jump Kick is also an alternative Fighting STAB for the raw power it provides.

For the Bulk Up set, Careful is the better nature because Bulk Up takes care of Scrafty's Defense already. Impish makes its Special Defense more exposed than before. Rest is the best option in place of Protect because with Shed Skin, Scrafty can spend potentially less than 2 turns asleep.

Tl;dr:
    -Dragon Dance
    -High Jump Kick/Drain Punch
    -Knock Off (Poke Bank)/Crunch (cartridge, Kalos-born)
    -Zen Headbutt (egg move)/Iron Head (Poke Bank)
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Ability: Shed Skin/Moxie

or
    -Bulk Up
    -Knock Off (Poke Bank)/Crunch (cartridge, Kalos-born)
    -Drain Punch
    -Rest
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    Gliscor help

Hi, I wanted to breed and train a gliscor that had 6ivs and the move stealth rock to set up entry hazards and have good support, but learned that it may be impossible. Since there is to way to teach a Gliscor stealth rock in X and Y, and there is no way to breed for IVs in B&W, as far as I know. I think there is breeding but i dont think there is an IV judge in that game, is there? Is what I want possible? I don't have B&W so I'm not sure about the specifics in the game but I'm not adverse to getting it. And even if I could breed a 6IV gliscor with stealth rock, would I even be able to transfer it to X and Y?

If what I'm asking isn't possible then what would you suggest as an alternative support and entry hazard setup?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It is possible to IV breed in Gen 5 (and the IV Judge is in the Battle Subway), but it's a huge pain in the ass compared to X/Y and it doesn't help that WiFi for the DS has been shut down.

So if you don't wanna deal with that hassle, other good hazard setters are Mega Aggron, Tyranitar, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, to name a few:

-Mega Aggron w/Aggronite
    Ability: Sturdy---->Filter
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Defense, 4 Attack
    Moves: Iron Head, Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Roar/Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Ice Beam
    - Earthquake

-Skarmory w/Leftovers or Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 248 HP, 252 Defense, 8 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Stealth Rock/Spikes, Roost, Whirlwind, Brave Bird

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball

You might even be able to get something through the GTS, Wonder Trade, or from one of the Trade Shops here on the PokeCommunity.

Btw, you can transfer Pokemon from Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 to X and Y via the PokeBank/PokeTransporter.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    Oh, then was it just the GTS that got shut down? The poketransporter still works? that's great

Why is it so much more of a hassle? Is it because of the hatch times? No O-powers to use? does flame body still cut hatch time in half in B&W?
    How does the wifi shutting down affect breeding?

sorry for all the question lol

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh, then was it just the GTS that got shut down? The poketransporter still works? that's great

Why is it so much more of a hassle? Is it because of the hatch times? No O-powers to use? does flame body still cut hatch time in half in B&W?
    How does the wifi shutting down affect breeding?

sorry for all the question lol
    Nah it's fine.

It's a hassle to breed in Gen 5 because the Destiny Knot didn't pass down any IVs, only males can pass down egg moves, and only females can pass down Hidden Abilities. Not to mention that good breeding stock is usually difficult to find in B/W and you can't trade for any because Nintendo disabled WiFi support for the DS and Wii (the WiiU and 3DS are fine, you can use the GTS and WT on X/Y). All of that's not a problem in X/Y. The hatch times and Flame Body still work the same in either generation.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    that does sound like a hassel, i think gliscor is now out of my team lol

Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back