• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Does infestation make it so your opponent cannot baton pass? Also wondering the same thing with block
    A Pokemon trapped with Infestation, Wrap, Bind or the like can still escape with Baton Pass.
    So, I found myself with a Timid Shiny Bulbasaur. I was breeding for a chlorophyl one but it just didn't work out in my favor. Anyway, I still want to try to find a way to use it.

Its egg moves are Grassy Terrain and Giga Drain, but they don't have to be necessaary. If anyone has any ideas on sets for such a Bulbasaur, I'm very interested i knowing. I'm looking for Single Battle. Team ideas to build around the Bulbasaur are also very much appreciated! Thank you!
    Grassy Terrain isn't viable because it also gives grounded opponents passive recovery for 5 turns. While Modest is the preferred nature for Chlorophyll Venusaur, Timid is still viable to let Venusaur outspeed some Choice Scarf users under the sun:
    -Sunny Day/Growth
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb/Sleep Powder
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 40 HP/252 SAtk/216 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Ahh ok but how about:
    Waterfall
    Acrobatics
    U-turn
    Night slash
    No. Never bother with physical Greninja at all. Stick to specially-based Greninja at all times. It could see use if Flying Gem is ever released, but even then, don't bother with it until someone's consistently won with that set.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Grassy Terrain isn't viable because it also gives grounded opponents passive recovery for 5 turns. While Modest is the preferred nature for Chlorophyll Venusaur, Timid is still viable to let Venusaur outspeed some Choice Scarf users under the sun:
    -Sunny Day/Growth
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb/Sleep Powder
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 40 HP/252 SAtk/216 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    I think Cassie was saying that it doesn't have Chlorophyll. So it'd have to do something a bit different, since sun isn't a good idea for a non-Chlorophyll Bulbasaur/Venusaur, and she can't re-breed it (since its a shiny and she wants to use it). So Cassie, try this:

-Venusaur w/Venusaurite
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Overgrow (Thick Fat when mega evolved)
    EVs: 40 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 216 Speed
    Moves: Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Leech Seed, Hidden Power Fire or Ice/Sleep Powder/Earthquake

Ahh ok but how about:
    Waterfall
    Acrobatics
    U-turn
    Night slash

Like Platinum has been saying, physical Greninja really does not work. I've tried a physical Greninja myself, and it really wasn't that effective. The special set I'm currently using does work. Greninja's a Pokémon that at a glance looks like it could go physical or even mixed, but in practice, fails. Like Hydreigon. Looks like it could go mixed or physical, but really should stick to special attacks.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Hey guys, so in my Pokemon Y game I'm trying to breed a almost perfect Kangaskhan. I almost succeeded, it has perfect IVs in HP, ATK, SP.DEF, and SPD but it has 0 IVs in Defense.... (It's also Jolly natured), should I keep this Kangaskhan or keep breeding it?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey guys, so in my Pokemon Y game I'm trying to breed a almost perfect Kangaskhan. I almost succeeded, it has perfect IVs in HP, ATK, SP.DEF, and SPD but it has 0 IVs in Defense.... (It's also Jolly natured), should I keep this Kangaskhan or keep breeding it?
    Keep breeding if you're willing to. Kangaskhan values its bulk pretty highly. The difference is rather significant as well:

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 292-345 (83.1 - 98.2%)
    252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan (0 Def IVs): 337-397 (96 - 113.1%)

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Keep breeding if you're willing to. Kangaskhan values its bulk pretty highly. The difference is rather significant as well:

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 292-345 (83.1 - 98.2%)
    252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan (0 Def IVs): 337-397 (96 - 113.1%)

Thank you! :D I guess I should keep breeding them then xD

EDIT: I just got one with 31/31/x/x/31/31! I think I'm good xD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Quick question about EV training.

I've maxed up the defence stat of my Pineco using the Super Training. Now, do I just normally level him up till he hits level 100 (or 50, for normal rules) and once he does, will be have the maximum possible defence, considering he has the correct nature, perfect IVs and because I've maxed out his defence stat using Super Training, or do I need to then fight horde battles for Pokémon that give off defence EVs? I'm kinda confused right now.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Quick question about EV training.

I've maxed up the defence stat of my Pineco using the Super Training. Now, do I just normally level him up till he hits level 100 (or 50, for normal rules) and once he does, will be have the maximum possible defence, considering he has the correct nature, perfect IVs and because I've maxed out his defence stat using Super Training, or do I need to then fight horde battles for Pokémon that give off defence EVs? I'm kinda confused right now.
    If the Pineco has maxed out Def EVs via Super Training (252 EVs), a positive Def Nature (i.e. Relaxed or Impish), and perfect Def IVs, then it has the best possible Defense it can have regardless of level. You do not need to EV train again after Super Training. Of course, you'll want to level it to 50 or 100 if you want to battle in anything other than Little Cup.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    If the Pineco has maxed out Def EVs via Super Training (252 EVs), a positive Def Nature (i.e. Relaxed or Impish), and perfect Def IVs, then it has the best possible Defense it can have regardless of level. You do not need to EV train again after Super Training. Of course, you'll want to level it to 50 or 100 if you want to battle in anything other than Little Cup.

Cheers, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. So, just to make sure. Once I EV trained my Pokémon via Super Training (or, I could of EV training him using wild battles/horde battles) all I have to do then is level him up to level 100 by just regular battles?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Cheers, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. So, just to make sure. Once I EV trained my Pokémon via Super Training (or, I could of EV training him using wild battles/horde battles) all I have to do then is level him up to level 100 by just regular battles?
    Yup. Once you have finished Super Training and maxed out your Pokemon's EVs, you don't have to worry about how you level up your Pokemon or what they should battle against.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Yup. Once you have finished Super Training and maxed out your Pokemon's EVs, you don't have to worry about how you level up your Pokemon or what they should battle against.

Awesome, cheers! I just wanted to post again just to make 100% sure.

Years
    what move set should i use with a Timid Rotom-W?

This set is probably your best bet:

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Trick / Thunderbolt

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    what move set should i use with a Timid Rotom-W?

This set is probably your best bet:

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Trick / Thunderbolt

You should go along with Hikari's suggestion. And in addition it, you could replace Choice Scarf with Specs, if you like. d: With the help of it, you could make all your special-based attacks more hard-hitting and take down your opponents quicker.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I have a Froakie with 4 31 IVs and Protean. Modest Nature.

What are the common sets with him?

Nickname? LOL

Just use a Timid nature on Greninja, as without it, Greninja fails to outspeed Alakazam, Dugtrio and the like:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Dark Pulse
    -Ice Beam
    -U-turn/Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Hasty/Timid
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Protean

or
    -Spikes
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Dark Pulse/Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Are there any Water types that are good mixed attackers that are 1)not Keldeo and 2)are currently obtainable in Kalos? And putting U-Turn on Greninja doesn't count either.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Are there any Water types that are good mixed attackers that are 1)not Keldeo and 2)are currently obtainable in Kalos? And putting U-Turn on Greninja doesn't count either.
    Cloyster is pretty much the only thing that pops in my head right now:
    -Shell Smash
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Hydro Pump
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: White Herb/Lum Berry/Focus Sash/King's Rock
    Ability: Skill Link

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Hey guys, is Mienshao a good pokemon to use? Also, what's a good moveset for Mienshao?

Mienshao is pretty much outclassed by other Fighting Pokemon in OU, despite having access to Regenerator to make up for its bad defenses. It's outclassed because it offers little to no defensive synergy in a team. But if you must use it:
    -High Jump Kick
    -Knock Off
    -Stone Edge/Poison Jab
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/U-turn
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/24 SAtk/232 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Regenerator

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Thank you! xD What strategies should I utilize when battling with Mienshao?

EDIT: Oh also, what is a good substitute for Custap berries? I really need one but it's unobtainable. :(

EDIT: I want to do this for the lulz with my friends so: should my forretress learn explosion or Shiftry? I want to give him a surprise so if my forretress were to learn explosion, it would be too slow. If I use Shiftry (this is more of an aesthetic preference) then my nickname given to the forretress (kamikaze) would not work xD

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back