• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen New Character kotone Better than Kris ?

Whos better ?

• Total voters

ArcanineOod

DESU.
Years
  • I think it's quite clear to see that the creator of this thread is heavily biased towards Kris and no matter what people say is always going to prefer her. This thread isn't really a discussion about which one is better; most of the answers here are just opinion, including the opening post.

I don't think either of them are better game characters - They're just pixels on a screen and they have the same controls (well, they would if they were from the same era).
    In my personal opinion, I prefer the new girl, Kotone/Soul/whatever you wish to call her's appearance. I love her outfit (especially her hat), and as Andrew McKenzie said, this thread will never really come to any great conclusion about which game character is better.

Nintendo changed their main character for a reason. Now I don't know what that reason was, but, as I said before, I like this new girl, and I'm not going to argue against Nintendo's choices.

xX

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • I like both of them. At first, I hated Kotone with a passion, but she grew on me. Kotone looks a bit more natural than Kris does, but I did like Kris's...unique hair. ^__^

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    You can't really compare a Generation 3/4 sprite to a Generation 2 sprite, mainly because the lack of more than 4 colors often palette-rapes them. A slightly better comparison (remember I'm not a professional spriter and I don't know what colors she really wears) would be with this picture. Personally, however, I like Soul more than Kris.

Kitty!

mandi
    Years
  • I LOVE SOUL TO PIECES! Ever since she first got shown on that magazine crap ..everyone was hatin' on her, and I was one of the ones defending that adorable little chick who deserves no hate because she 'replaced' Kris ...who IMO, is a pretty bland character. But that's just me.

KOTONE (Soul...WHO CARES what we call her ahah) ..she just looks plain awesome, and I love her hair and outfit and style.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    If they did put Kris in HGSS, I can see her getting a lot more support than Kotone's design, the update would likely help quite a bit. IMO, sprite comparison is nearing irrelevancy, as one is ten years older, and 8-bit. As it stands, however, she didn't get it, and as such, Kotone is currently superior.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • To be perfectly honest, both Kris and Kotone are great characters of the game. However, like everything else they each have their differences, both good and bad. Not everyone will like what one may bring out, but others just might. Also, those who judge Kris on her blue hair not being natural, no it may not be natural to us, however you have to consider that this is a game and it's Pokémon allowing the unnatural for them to be natural.

Anyhow, I do prefer Kotone over Kris. I find her more original in a way compared to other female trainers such as Kris. Not to mention, she was something new and unexpected at first, a surprise-like addition to the remakes. So, overall Kotone wins me over, but that isn't to say Kris was never great in her days from Crystal either.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2020
    bobandbill

cmon why di you remove that pic it was a ok pic

Last edited:

_cynthia_

the thirsty devil
    Years
  • well anyway, i prefer kotone over kris.
    kotone is really cute and is a battler instead of some girly coordinator.
    never liked kris, and never will.
    NOT meaing crystal in pokespe, who is really nice and has some decent pokemon.

Pikachu-dance!

Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott :)
    Years
  • ahhhhhh cute butt :) me happy :D

Interesting ass that Kris has in the 2nd picture, but ... er-hem!

I only like Kris more because I find her colours of her clothes and hair go more with the Johto region, her light blue and gold clothes feel nicer on the eyes than Kotone, but don't get me wrong Kotone doesn't bother me ...

Also there is a thread for this, this will get moved soon =P
    I was reading these posts above and thinking, does everyone love her butt?

As weird as it is for someone my age to admit it, the girls were clearly designed as jailbait to bolster the sales of their product to the rather hormonal teenage boy demograph...and judging by this poll's very existance, it works. XD
    then i read the message above, and i know what you mean.

Personally though i think kris is better.

wnxvale

Lugia...Aeroblast!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2010
    since ive been using her in the rom that i have...she seems pretty cool...her OW sprite is one of my favorites xD

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I like Kotone better. Never was a big fan of Kris, didn't like her outfit one bit and that hair style. The new character is much more appealing.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Eew

Anyway, Kotones outfit is amazing after I got used to it. It has a special feminine edge to it. Kris' hair is whats amazing to me. No one else has had hair like hers.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2020
    Apart from showing that you really like Kris and that a few others like her more than Kotone and the rest of the poll options, this really doesn't mean anything.

Excluding the obvious improved sprites, everything about Kotone is certainly more eye appealing to me.
    Her natural hair colour as opposed to that horrid blue Kris has(as Marina in the Anime and Crystal Game Art).
    The hat is actually not putting me off, lots of girls I know wear big hats.
    She's better looking than Kris(cuter imo).

I never really liked Kris at all actually. Kotone is the best designed girl I've seen in Pokemon so far.

Misty's top was short. May's clothes were too tight looking. Dawn's skirt is way too short.
    I mean, would you seriously let your 10 year old daughter out into the big wide world with that little clothes on them?
    I know it's a children's sorta thing but come on...

Anyways, back on topic. In order of preference for me:

Kotone(Soul, if you want to call her that...)
    May(+ Manga appearance: Sapphire)
    Dawn(+ Manga appearance: Platinum Berlitz)
    Blue(Green...whichever you prefer to call her; and Leaf(Game) )
    Misty
    Kris(And Manga Appearance: Crystal)

I'm going strictly by both game art and anime appearance here...
    And manga, if it applies to that character...
    That's all from me. 'Nuff said.

I'll just add that even though I like Kotone more than Kris, this seems like a pointless question.
    It's just a game/anime/manga and threads like these are more likely to cause arguements between opposite fans of both characters more than anything else.
    But that said. Both are most likely great trainers. It's all a matter of preference, really.
    No i am neautral in this .... and anyway i like may better but kris is just to much awesome

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Why didn't you put an option "They are the same". Even though they have different names.

Hibiki and Gold are the same, so is Kris and Kotone.

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Kotone is cute. Yay for cute people. I used to dislike her because I wanted an updated Kris in HG/SS. lol Every female in the games got an updated (clothes) version 'cept poor old Kris. And Leaf. lol

It would have been kind of cool if they'd made Kris Professor Oak's Aide in the games (sorta like in PokeSpe) or at least did something with her. Kris, and her pretty earrings (in PokeSpe)... oh, how I miss you. T.T Kotone's got the thigh-high socks. I don't like her outfit much for some reason. Never liked short overalls. Both she and Kris have long-sleeved shirts.

That bow on her hat is adorable. <3

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2020
    Kotone is cute. Yay for cute people. I used to dislike her because I wanted an updated Kris in HG/SS. lol Every female in the games got an updated (clothes) version 'cept poor old Kris. And Leaf. lol

It would have been kind of cool if they'd made Kris Professor Oak's Aide in the games (sorta like in PokeSpe) or at least did something with her. Kris, and her pretty earrings (in PokeSpe)... oh, how I miss you. T.T Kotone's got the thigh-high socks. I don't like her outfit much for some reason. Never liked short overalls. Both she and Kris have long-sleeved shirts.

That bow on her hat is adorable. <3

cmon she looks like mario

New  Character kotone Better than Kris ?

Back