• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Computer Virus

ReddishDegree

Yes, I'm Insane.
Years
  • This is a warning to everyone about a new computer virus that has been recently released. The virus is called Antispyware Soft. It is a malware that gives a bunch of fake virus warnings and tries to get you to buy a $50 program to fix it that doesn't even work. Antispyware Soft also doesn't allow any .exe files to run. To get rid of Antispyware Soft you must follow my instructions sense it has worked for me and my friend.

1. Reset computer in safe mode by holding F8 and selecting Safe Mode with networking.

2. Open your internet browser and downloading Malwarebytes free version.

3. After downloading and installing Malwarebytes run it and do a quick scan.

4. When the scan is over you can remove the infected objects.

5. After removing infected objects you have to reboot your computer.

6. All Done! The virus is gone!

If any help is still needed feel free to ask me.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • I've had Malwarebytes for a while and it's helped a lot ever since my WoW account got hacked. Now I use an authenticator and AVG/Malwarebytes and "most" of my problems have been solved.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Oh no, a new computer virus!? This is tragic!
    [/sarcasm]

Just a word to the wise; NEVER run any "antispyware" software from a questionable source. ESPECIALLY if you get a window in My Computer saying that your computer is infected with tons of viruses; Windows doesn't have a built-in virus scanner, so it shouldn't tell you that. Extra points if you see it on a Mac.

ReddishDegree

Yes, I'm Insane.
    Years
  • @Donavannj

I always use firefox its great!

@TheAppleFreak

Btw it isn't one of those virus warnings that show up in a internet window. Its a program that disguises its self as a antivirus software like McAfee but it gives you warnings about fake viruses that aren't even on your computer and saying that to get rid of them buy our low price $50 program. And the virus comes up in a pop up so you cant stop it unless you close it quick enough if you dont than it got enough time to install its self to your computer.

Years
  • Btw it isn't one of those virus warnings that show up in a internet window. Its a program that disguises its self as a antivirus software like McAfee but it gives you warnings about fake viruses that aren't even on your computer and saying that to get rid of them buy our low price $50 program. And the virus comes up in a pop up so you cant stop it unless you close it quick enough if you dont than it got enough time to install its self to your computer.

Thing is, they still show up in a brower window... they just run scripts to make it appear like they don't. And, like I said above, Alt-F4 is your friend when you need to get rid of a window fast. (b'-')b

Years
  • For reference, this one is not browser based. The concept of these rouge antivirus applications has been around for a while now but this one is a little more severe than most. ALT-F4 will not help you, nor with the task manager or msconfig. It actively closes all windows you open that are not IE and only allows you to go to the program maker's website if you do open IE. The initial warning may have popped up in a browser as the rest of them do but once you're infected, you have an actual process running on your machine.

The advice to fix it is good with one notable exception. Run a full scan in Malwarebytes. Quick scan will sometimes take care of everything but I've had it leave enough behind for the program to rebuild itself in the past. One full scan should be all you need.

Stiwo's rule

ahahahah.... NO, YOU NOT FUNNY
    Years
  • omg, when they stop to release viruses?
    I had to format mi old pc twice, because a spyware blocked my system, and deleted mi operative system... for two times!... now, I have Avira, Spyware doctor and Malwarebytes, and it goes very well xD

Years
  • For reference, this one is not browser based. The concept of these rouge antivirus applications has been around for a while now but this one is a little more severe than most. ALT-F4 will not help you, nor with the task manager or msconfig. It actively closes all windows you open that are not IE and only allows you to go to the program maker's website if you do open IE. The initial warning may have popped up in a browser as the rest of them do but once you're infected, you have an actual process running on your machine.

The advice to fix it is good with one notable exception. Run a full scan in Malwarebytes. Quick scan will sometimes take care of everything but I've had it leave enough behind for the program to rebuild itself in the past. One full scan should be all you need.

It should be noted that Malwarebytes doesn't catch everything, even on full scans.

Years
  • It should be noted that Malwarebytes doesn't catch everything, even on full scans.
    Oh, I'm well aware. However, it does have an outstanding track record in terms of dealing with these rogue anti-virus programs so it's still my first recommendation when one pops up.

Magik?!

Georgums.
    Years
  • Oh no, a new computer virus!? This is tragic!
    [/sarcasm]

Just a word to the wise; NEVER run any "antispyware" software from a questionable source. ESPECIALLY if you get a window in My Computer saying that your computer is infected with tons of viruses; Windows doesn't have a built-in virus scanner, so it shouldn't tell you that. Extra points if you see it on a Mac.

Extra extra points if it's a pop-up that appears on an iPhone.

Anyways... uhh, I always solve those problems by going into the Programs part of My Computer and deleting their source files. Then again, that's cause I can't download antivirus thanks to not having admin rights. But yeah, it works too.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • Is it that pop up where is says like,
    File Infected - Severe
    File Infected - Moderate
    ect.

I've had this pop-up for about a year and a half. It's nothing to serious. Avast! never detects anything and I haven't been hacked. So just pointing this info out.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • AVG + Malwarebytes + Super Anti-Spyware = safe computer.

Really, viruses are only a big deal if they're recording your private info', like credit card numbers, passwords, etc. A few file corruptions or w/e isn't a big deal, unless they're targetting System32.

Reminds me of my dad. "NUUU A VIRUSSS!!111!!1" Just run a scan and tah-dah. Fixed.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • AVG + Malwarebytes + Super Anti-Spyware = safe computer.

Really, viruses are only a big deal if they're recording your private info', like credit card numbers, passwords, etc. A few file corruptions or w/e isn't a big deal, unless they're targetting System32.

Reminds me of my dad. "NUUU A VIRUSSS!!111!!1" Just run a scan and tah-dah. Fixed.

Just like to say, I found out what it's like when all your System32 files are infected.
    It pretty much slows everything down, videos, flash media, loading of programs.
    It's not pretty.

A bit off topic, but just to let people know.

Zet

Years
  • NOD32 + Malwarebytes + a good firewall Critical Thinking = the key to success!. = safe computing

fix'd the first bit for ya :P

Though it's always good to use a firefox addon like web of trust or link extended.... link extended being for more reviews from other sources than just web of trust.

Years
  • Don't do it. Norton is way overpriced for the level of service they provide. You're better off with AVG Free and such.
    Norton 360 is also a horrible, horrible product. Norton IS 2010 is usable and a lot cheaper, although I prefer Kaspersky and Eset Nod32.

Avira, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials are the best free AVs, AVG doesn't quite cut it.

I'd also be inclined to run Combofix, if something gets that ingrained into the system. Malwarebytes is probably the best Anti-Malware program out, although Spybot does seem to find stuff MWB doesn't, although that's usually ad-ware like toolbars, etc.

I'm feeling too lazy, but someone probably tag this thread, so it's more likely to pop up in a search at a later date if someone needs it.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    *COUGH*GET LINUX*COUGH*

On my Windows netbook, I prefer Avast to get it free of viruses. In the event that I would get hit with a virus I could just reinstall the OS anyways, because I do all my important stuff (Photoshopping, Flash, Dreamweaver) on my Mac anyways.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    *COUGH*GET LINUX*COUGH*

On my Windows netbook, I prefer Avast to get it free of viruses. In the event that I would get hit with a virus I could just reinstall the OS anyways, because I do all my important stuff (Photoshopping, Flash, Dreamweaver) on my Mac anyways.
    ^ Je t'aime

Even the free stuff like Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast Free are more helpful than Norton. Either that, or use a different OS. Haven't tried Ubuntu 10.4 yet, but it should be more user-friendly that 9.10.

Back