• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Computer Virus

Zet

Years
    ^ Je t'aime

Even the free stuff like Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast Free are more helpful than Norton. Either that, or use a different OS. Haven't tried Ubuntu 10.4 yet, but it should be more user-friendly that 9.10.

Ubuntu 10.4 LTS is alright though it sorta uses the mac interface for the close, send to tray and minimize/enlarge buttons. But other than that it's all right if you know what you're doing, but I digress since the mac OS is more vulnerable than Windows.(I'm not trolling since it has been proven).

I'm not really a fan of MSE since it doesn't have automatic updates(or it does, I just haven't seen an option for it) and I'm not sure if it has web protection and real time scanning.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    It's just another strain of MS Antivirus, which has been around for ages. This isn't anything new.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    It updates through Windows Update.

I'm using it in W7 on my netbook until I stop being lazy and download AVG or something; it blocked a hit-and-run attack in real time.

Although OS X might be less secure, I find it's more polished and refined than Windows. Besides, the amount of Windows viruses compared to Mac viruses is very, very large, so chances are, a website will try to attack with Windows specific code and not affect me. Even if it manages to infect me with an OS X virus, I have iAntivirus.

EDIT: MY PAGE

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Norton's a virus in itself.

Personally, I use Mozilla Firefox with Script Lock (to block malicious, unwanted sites from running in the background), AdBlock Plus (to remove ads), AVG, Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware... I don't have a Firewall XD I use Window's Firewall for now. My dad uses, uh, Bit Defender, but I don't like it :| McAfee and F-Secure suck too. I used to use Zone Alarm, but it crashes my computer when I do full-screen stuff, so.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'm using it in W7 on my netbook until I stop being lazy and download AVG or something; it blocked a hit-and-run attack in real time.

Although OS X might be less secure, I find it's more polished and refined than Windows. Besides, the amount of Windows viruses compared to Mac viruses is very, very large, so chances are, a website will try to attack with Windows specific code and not affect me. Even if it manages to infect me with an OS X virus, I have iAntivirus.

EDIT: MY PAGE

MSE's detection rate is higher than AVG's and it is lighter on resources. In fact, it's lighter on resources than most anti-virus software.

Years
    MSE's detection rate is higher than AVG's and it is lighter on resources. In fact, it's lighter on resources than most anti-virus software.
    What may also be worth noting is that it's corporate AV, Forefront, is almost as lightweight as MSE, and has much higher detection and removal rates than most of its competitors. I think this may be Microsoft's best strength, even more so than its Office products.

AikuSeverin

Dark Trainer
    Years
    meh, virus's they aint that big a threat if you have a reasonalble anti-virus, i mean system restores in safe mode are always useful, providing it doesnt imbred itself in your regestry (in which case you have the joy of either removing it key by key or reinstalling windows!)

i personally switched my pc into a virtual enviroment, everything except a few things are run through MS Virtual PC, so if i get a virus attack, i just use an undo disk, my host OS rarely touches the net anymore

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    Avira, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials are the best free AVs, AVG doesn't quite cut it.
    Yeah, for some reason I thought AVG and Avast were the same thing. Though to be honest, I run OSX and don't have antivirus software on my windows partition.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    I personally use a combo of Microsoft Security Essentials & avast!, along with SpyBot S&D & SpywareBlaster. I don't really feel that there's a need for extra firewall software as most modems (DSL/Cable) and routers will have a built in firewall, along with the Windows Firewall. Surprisingly, MSE and avast! don't seem to fight for resources. It's odd....but not bad. :D

As for the virus you mentioned, I've known about that one for about a month now. As long as you don't install anything or give them any information, and run your scans on a regular basis, you should be fine. Remember, boys and girls, don't run anything on your computer that you didn't install!

Years
    I had something like that happen to me a couple of years ago. A malware virus infected my computer as an anti-virus thing, but as soon as I got that, I got offline and never clicked on that.

Nowadays, I don't use anything that I don't trust at all. So, this new virus won't get anywhere near me. Just be careful when doing stuff online and you'll be fine.

KAZillonaire

Pokémon is my profession.
    Years
    There's a good way to get rid of viruses like that in five days. You just need to open Task Manager, (ALT + CTRL + DEL) and then go to Processes, and then delete vma.exe. Then, open up your browser, if it pops up again, delete vma.exe again, and you have acess temporarily. Just don't open any windows, like calculator and all that. I suggest opening those first. After a few days, it should go away. I may be mistaken from another malware, but it might be helpful.

Zet

Years
    There's a good way to get rid of viruses like that in five days. You just need to open Task Manager, (ALT + CTRL + DEL) and then go to Processes, and then delete vma.exe. Then, open up your browser, if it pops up again, delete vma.exe again, and you have acess temporarily. Just don't open any windows, like calculator and all that. I suggest opening those first. After a few days, it should go away. I may be mistaken from another malware, but it might be helpful.

Not every virus has vma.exe, so that's kinda pointless and what you're doing doesn't sound like it's really removing anything

RyanGT

Forum Elder
    Years
    I actually have this "virus" right now. I let my sister use my computer while I was at work, and I came home to a bunch of virus messages. When I try to run a exe it says I can't and asks me to run the software to stop the virus.

I would like to try your method for fixing this, but the link you posted is not working.

Back