• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Pokémon Evolution Announcement!

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
    Years
    Guess I'm a bit late to the party of sharing thoughts.

My first impressions: Woah, I didn't expect this at all, nevertheless Honedge to evolve in the first place. At first, I thought of Honedge as its own standalone, unique sort-of Pokemon. It seems like this is kind of like the "Magnemite/Klink" of this generation, but in a good way that makes a bit more sense.

It's not going to be something I'll use in-game, but competitively speaking I can see this being a threatening glass-cannon. Heck, Honedge alone looked pretty deadly, maybe that's why I had the thought of it evolving in the back of my mind.

Overall: meh, it's definitely not something to complain about. I'll open up to it eventually.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    zzz kinda sad doublade is the magneton/dugtrio/kink/vannilluxe of this gen. It had the potential to be better than this!

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    The problem I have with Honedge and Doubledge is No Guard. Don't get me wrong No Guard is great ability....in the right hands. Ghost type doesn't benefit in any way with No Guard and Steel type is not a good attacking type. It would have to rely on a diverse movepool to be good so I hope he gets another ability.

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
    Years
    I expected nothing and was still disappointed.

Jesus ****ing christ dude, did you have to post something completely spoilerish in an unrelated thread? There's a rumor thread for a reason.

Thank god they're most likely fakes.

I felt it was relevant as it was leaked on announcement day, apologies for the lack of spoiler tags but I thought most people would have seen it anyway

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Well that was unexpected, not exactly the evolution I was thinking they'd reveal. Honestly was hoping for a Helioptle evo. Doublade is alright looking I guess, I was expecting something cooler for Honedge's evolution but this isn't too bad...I guess. Like Mageneton and Klinklang all over though, they just added another Honedge and extended it's design a bit.

Though a more of a positive note, I noticed one person on their Facebook page noted it looks like a coat of arms:

This explanation makes me like it a bit more. If you notice it has sort of a shield thing behind it. At least if it evolves more into a coat of arms , then I'd love it more.

yeah i recognized it as like a coat of arms when i first see it today...they seem to be going for a medieval theme in this gen (like the starters being RPG classes). But the first thing that came to mind is "not another vanilluxe zzzz??"

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I beleive there's coat of arms with three swords.
    It'll be cool and more noteworthy if it's final evolution has the french iris flower design commonly seen in coat of arms in Europe, especially frances.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    Well, I definitely wasn't expecting THAT. . . siiigh.
    I still hope there's going to be a Dragon Eevee in X and Y.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    Whenever I first saw Doublade, I was immediately reminded of Klink, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that haha..

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Ive been reading the comments and people seem to be saying Doubledge represents a Coat of Arms. I don't agree with that at all, the coat of arms is mainly a shield and swords are not a key feature to all coat of arms designs just a few. Also the shield is usually at front.

New Pokémon Evolution Announcement!

Doubledge design would most likely come from the heraldry symbol of Crossed Swords.

The reason I posted 2 pictures of the symbol is because its meaning is actually different depending of the direction the swords are facing. When the swords are pointing upward it basically means war time , ongoing fight or to point battlefields. When the swords are pointing downward like Doubledge's design it means end of war, resting or a memorial to a dead soldier. Memorial to the dead->Ghost type, seems to me this is the most logical meaning to the design.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Ive been reading the comments and people seem to be saying Doubledge represents a Coat of Arms. I don't agree with that at all, the coat of arms is mainly a shield and swords are not a key feature to all coat of arms designs just a few. Also the shield is usually at front.

Doubledge design would most likely come from the heraldry symbol of Crossed Swords.

The reason I posted 2 pictures of the symbol is because its meaning is actually different depending of the direction the swords are facing. When the swords are pointing upward it basically means war time , ongoing fight or to point battlefields. When the swords are pointing downward like Doubledge's design it means end of war, resting or a memorial to a dead soldier. Memorial to the dead->Ghost type, seems to me this is the most logical meaning to the design.
    Well that makes sense. I've seen heraldry symbols of three swords before so maybe it's final evolution (if it has another) will be three swords indeed...

I too think it looks better when it unsheathes...funny since I liked better Honedge when it was still sheathed.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Well that makes sense. I've seen heraldry symbols of three swords before so maybe it's final evolution (if it has another) will be three swords indeed...

I too think it looks better when it unsheathes...funny since I liked better Honedge when it was still sheathed.

Yeah, people in a lot of forums are being hard on Doublade(got it right that time) for being a unification of basically 2 Honedge. You gotta see beyond looks to really understand a design, this design in my opinion is really clever on GF part. The whole theme with Honedge is just interesting to me, Honedge's description say that it's a sword possessed by a spirit so maybe all Honedge could be possessed by the spirits of dead soldiers from the past who would like to continue fighting. This would tie in nicely with Doublade representing a memorial to a dead soldier. These sort of designs that could potentially enrich the Pokemon lore are well received by me.

Wether it will get an evolution or not I don't know, still anything is possible.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    Does anyone else think this is getting pretty tiresome? Whenever there is a new evolution coming out or a complete new Pokémon, people directly jump on it with their own selfish judgements without doing any background research about it. I'm not saying it's wrong to judge solely on the design the first time you see it, but you get the point, no?

Honedge and Doublade is pretty good example of this. Or maybe it is just Pokémon entirely that's getting older and people just want whatever reason to hate on it pure for the fun of it, that's also a possibility. I'm not saying that everyone does the exact way based on how I explain it, so don't feel attacked.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    i think there are better evos to introduce than doublade tbh, everyone starts to warm up to doublade after a while but it doesn't really get that hypetrain going.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    I think what would make this Pokemon in particular more impressive is giving it a third-stage evo. I don't know about you guys, but I feel that there's a lot of potential that can come out of Doublade. I personally think that it could look a lot more "fearsome" in other words, or maybe have a third sword or something (don't know how that would work, but it's just an idea!). Either way, I feel that a third evo to this thing wouldn't be a terrible idea in terms of design.

I would LOVE for it to get a third evo, just because of the amount of directions they could go with it. They could just make it bigger, and make it resemble the Heraldry symbol even more, however, I think it would be amazing if the ghost was actually visible. Just a shadowy figure holding the two swords would be excellent, and the shield you can faintly see behind the swords could become a chest plate. If this ends up becoming the evolution, it will probably become one of my favorite ever. Anyway, it needs a bit more ghost to it. At the moment there just swords, and the only thing telling you they're ghost type are the pokedex entry, and the typing. The design itself, should resemble its type much more, in my opinion.

Typhon

'sup
    Years
    It's design is quite cool. And yeah, it does seem to be the Magnemite type of Kalos. It kinda looks weird, but nvm I love all the Kalos region Pokémon :D

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    Plain design, horrible name (Double blade-Doublade...got it?), same freakin' ability,and the hand became pink. PINK. When i first heard the new evolution was Honedge im like: they can make him a two-edged sword!! or a ****ing lighsaber or something! just not make him a magneton clone. then i saw this and im like: ****.

Back