• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Pokémon Evolution Announcement!

Years
    I definitely wasn't expecting an evolution for Honedge but it does make sense.
    I mean going from one sword to two seems natural, right?
    Luckily, this announcement did not disappoint me!

Anyway, I do like the design of Doublade. The crossing of two swords on what looks like to be a small shield or plate really makes it stand out from its pre-evolution. At first, I thought it was weird that the ribbon's color changed from blue to pink but in a way, it fits.

To be honest, Honedge is one of these new Pokes that I instantly liked and I'm glad it gets an evolution: that makes me want to use it more now!

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Plain design, horrible name (Double blade-Doublade...got it?), same freakin' ability,and the hand became pink. PINK. When i first heard the new evolution was Honedge im like: they can make him a two-edged sword!! or a ****ing lighsaber or something! just not make him a magneton clone. then i saw this and im like: ****.

Well geez , Negative Nancy here.

While I know it's not the same thing you probably had in mind, but I like to think of this evolution as the "double-edged sword" metaphor or "something that has or can have both favorable and unfavorable consequences". Plus it also resembles a coat of arms if you look closely. Just my thoughts, you don't have to accept them if you don't want. *shrug*

Looks like Gamefreak are making some game changing moves here. It learns Sacred Sword which was previously the signature move of the Legendary Musketeers or Keldeo, Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion.

New Pokémon Evolution Announcement!

Well I guess it's no longer a signature move.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I think what would make this Pokemon in particular more impressive is giving it a third-stage evo. I don't know about you guys, but I feel that there's a lot of potential that can come out of Doublade. I personally think that it could look a lot more "fearsome" in other words, or maybe have a third sword or something (don't know how that would work, but it's just an idea!). Either way, I feel that a third evo to this thing wouldn't be a terrible idea in terms of design.
    Probably the only thing I can see for a third stage, is a third sword right down the middle. Maybe even a shield to go with. There's not a whole lot of creativity with Honedge's or Doublade's appearance to really say the third stage would be a massive difference. And I don't think GameFreak would really go the extra mile if a third stage is in the mix. They're both a very safe design, a la Magnemite and Klink, which is why it's probably never going to get a lot of hate.

Plus, their swords. Swords are cool!
    Looks like Gamefreak are making some game changing moves here. It learns Sacred Sword which was previously the signature move of the Legendary Musketeers or Keldeo, Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion.

I would have questioned GameFreak's tactics if they didn't allow it to learn Sacred Sword, despite having been only known by Keldeo, Cobalion, Virizion and Terrakion before.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm totally expecting this thing to at least learn Swords Dance, Aerial Ace, Shadow Blade (this is just a ******** move that I've made up bit it makes sense for a Ghost-type attack, 90 base power y/y. There's a good lack of physical Ghost-type moves nowadays so I'm guessing this would do), Slash, Psycho Cut, etc.

I would say Leaf Blade since it would also seem fitting, but I also kind of doubt it at the same time. Would be good for move diversity, though!
    Leaf blade would be nice...maybe X-Scissor too (it's evolution could use it...).

You know with it having a fighting move it can take down Dark types...now I hope it's fast and it may indeed become OU ^_^.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Late to the party here, but as strange as Doublade looks, I like it. Sheathed, it looks like a coat of arms, and it learning Sacred Sword is a nice bonus, considering that Fighting + Ghost is unresisted.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    Well geez , Negative Nancy here.

While I know it's not the same thing you probably had in mind, but I like to think of this evolution as the "double-edged sword" metaphor or "something that has or can have both favorable and unfavorable consequences". Plus it also resembles a coat of arms if you look closely. Just my thoughts, you don't have to accept them if you don't want. *shrug*

But then again, when GF is running out of ideas they just multiply stuff and i find that very annoying.
    And another thing- why are the hands pink? i guess it cant really be a male of a female buyt if it had a gender the best thing to do was to have the male version with blue hands and the female with pink. Same with the pre-evo.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I'm totally expecting this thing to at least learn Swords Dance, Aerial Ace, Shadow Blade (this is just a ******** move that I've made up bit it makes sense for a Ghost-type attack, 90 base power y/y. There's a good lack of physical Ghost-type moves nowadays so I'm guessing this would do), Slash, Psycho Cut, etc.

I would say Leaf Blade since it would also seem fitting, but I also kind of doubt it at the same time. Would be good for move diversity, though!

To me Doublade needs something to deal with Fairy type. I'm surprised theres no good steel type "Slashing" moves, metals have been the key material for slashing, blunt and piercing weapons. So why not make a move based on slashing metal weapons, something like Metal Hack or Slice.

Years
    Anyone notice how it makes an X and Y shape if you look at it close enough?
    I noticed that too...but last time someone pointed something out about the letter people started trolling with other Pokemon resembling letters...

I agree there should be a steel type sword/slashing move (not counting Metal Claw). Maybe the Honedge line could have a move like Bronze Slash, and learn a stronger version like Steel Slash upon evolution to represent the evolution of sword's over the ages...

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    Plain design, horrible name (Double blade-Doublade...got it?), same freakin' ability,and the hand became pink. PINK. When i first heard the new evolution was Honedge im like: they can make him a two-edged sword!! or a ****ing lighsaber or something! just not make him a magneton clone. then i saw this and im like: ****.

So like they messed up with Chespin's evolution?

I do agree that a master sword would've been really neat. Shame they chose this instead. But not Ike I was gunna use it anyway. XD

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014

Honedge is already a double edged sword as it has 2 sharp edges, now with Doublade it has four sharp edges making it quadruple edge swords!!! lol

Now this post right here defines exactly what I said yesterday about people not actually understanding the meaning of designs and just going by looks.

Dedenne

The Antenna Pokémon
    Years
    We can definitely expect a trio sword 3rd evolution thingy, there wouldn't be just one I can tell you that now!! xD

But looking at it again, it's sort of not that bad. It's not good, but it's not as bad as everyones saying it is. It's just another Magneton/Dugtrio/Vannilite type thing.
    And omg whoever said that its representing X and Y YOU ARE A GENIUS i would of never saw this LOL.~~

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If I ever wanted Doublade's evolution to have a shield, then that is exactly how I would imagine it to look. Also, I love the way that you made it have a sad face expression with the holes on its shield. (: Was it intentional?

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    If I ever wanted Doublade's evolution to have a shield, then that is exactly how I would imagine it to look. Also, I love the way that you made it have a sad face expression with the holes on its shield. (: Was it intentional?

Yeah it was intentional, I would imagine GF would keep the "fake face" theme going if it had an evolution. Also thanks.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Some of you guys suggested an evolution with a shield for Doublade so I made a quick sketch. Is this what you guys had in mind?

Spoiler:

Oh man, is that a shield acting as a sheath for the swords, and thus turning the shield into some freaky mask like thing as well? Cause damn, that would be perfect, imo.

Also, remind me why color really means that much. I find that argument really dumb and narrow-minded.

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Years
    We can definitely expect a trio sword 3rd evolution thingy, there wouldn't be just one I can tell you that now!! xD

But looking at it again, it's sort of not that bad. It's not good, but it's not as bad as everyones saying it is. It's just another Magneton/Dugtrio/Vannilite type thing.
    And omg whoever said that its representing X and Y YOU ARE A GENIUS i would of never saw this LOL.~~

I feel so loved.♥ So now it looks less lame and the pink goes better IMO.

Years

Since Honedge looks sort of like a Y and Doublade looks like an X maybe Doublade's evolution will look like a Z made of three swords :P

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Oh man, is that a shield acting as a sheath for the swords, and thus turning the shield into some freaky mask like thing as well? Cause damn, that would be perfect, imo.

Also, remind me why color really means that much. I find that argument really dumb and narrow-minded.

Yes the sheath is suppose to be unified at the back which would also be part of the shield. When the swords unsheathe the ribbons would hold up the shield which would look like the biceps of an arm and the swords would look like the forearms.

Regarding if color is important or not, it really depends on the design. Sometimes (very few times) its necessary if the colorless design alone is not enough to define well the pokemon's type. Take Stunkfish for example, if the original design was the one on the right could you tell it was electric type? I sure couldn't. This doesn't happen many time tho, most of the time GF design are well enough without having to have a certain color which represents their type.

The reason GF uses the same color with so many pokemon of the same type its so people can easily categorize them. They don't have to follow this tradition if they dont want to and they have done so before with Pokemon like Gligar, Tyranitar, Groudon, etc.

Years
    Since Honedge looks sort of like a Y and Doublade looks like an X maybe Doublade's evolution will look like a Z made of three swords :P

Yeah that's sorta making me think there might be a pattern with the Honedge line, and you know that Honedge has a blue cloth while Doublade has a pink is leading me to believe a possible third member of the line could have a green one. It's really shaping up as one of the more interesting Pokemon this gen, aside from its unique typing and the fact it learns a move that was once exclusive to a certain set of Legendaries, in this case Keldeo and the musketeer trio (Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion).

Back