• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New type?

Do you think there should be new Poke types?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Light! It makes me seriously mad that dark has been around for three generations, but light hasn't. I mean, without light, how can there be dark?

Also, I would like a type for inanimate object-like pokemon, and man-made pokemon. I would say a 'fake' type, but that sounds kinda... stupid. xD Normal makes no sense for Porygon.

I think that the creators of pokemon thought that psychic pretty much covered the light part... but then again, it could make sense.

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2007
    I mean, without light, how can there be dark?

dark is another word for "evil" in pokemon types.

Since there is an "evil" or "dark" type, common sense says that pokemon who aren't "Evil" or "dark" type...aren't dark or evil, there fore a light type isn't needed/makes no sense.

Light is a dumb idea imo. it makes no real sense.

Sound type however, i could see that happening. maybe add "deafness" as a status infliction :P

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Sound is pretty creative, as is Virtual. Didja check the first couple pages of the thread?
    Yeah, I did. I quite like the virtual idea. After all, pokemon is a virtual game. Is it not? Sound would be cool, but space and time are just cuz of palkia and diagla. Light type...Oh boy. It is just so stupid. I mean really, light? It is too similar to psychic and electric type.

This was originally posted by "I am not a noob" Couldn't get the quote function to work right.

"New types I see should be added:

Shadow (I find it really annoying that Shadow type pokémon are only available in XD Gale of Darkness, so I say, let's bring em into a new game and make them available)
    Light
    Wood
    Iron
    Animal (I'm not kidding here)

And I had some ideas for Eeveelutions on another thread but I was directed here

So, here we go

Drageon (Dragon)
    Steeleon (Steel)
    Pesteon (Bug)
    Eartheon (Ground)
    Soreon (Flying(soring through the sky ))
    Toxeon (Poison)
    Illuseon (Ghost)
    Boldeon (Rock)
    Fighteon (Fighting)
    Shadeon (Shadow)
    Shineon (Light)"

Are you dead serious? Wood? No. Iron? We have steel type! Light? You know my stance on light type. Animal? Oh boy...I won't comment cuz I'd blow a fuse. I'm tired of all of these eeveelutions. It was fine at 5.
    Drageon? Gee, that's creative
    Steeleon? Another creative masterpiece
    Pestion? I actually quite like the idea of that
    Eartheon? More creativity from I'm not a noob
    Soreon? Ya, maybe. I dunno
    Toxeon? Any more creativity and I'll have to call the police! Jeez! If you're gonna make eeveelutions at least put in some creativity! Dang...
    Illusion? Pretty cool idea
    Boldeon? Decent I guess
    Fighteon? Tell me this: How is a cat gonna use fighting moves? Another plain pathetic name. Worst one so far. If nintendo used all thes, they'd be running out of eevee-like designs to make these generic pokes
    Shadeon? Two things: Try not to overwhelm us with your creativity, and: There is no shadow type! Kinda defeats the purpose of ghost and dark types. Might as well destroy Pokemopn XD because it would be incorrect if shadow type was made.
    Shineon? At least the name doesn't make me barf. I'm so sick of light type.

There's my prime example of why new types and eeveelutions shouldn't be made. Bland bland bland. Virtual and sound actually make sense and could actually cause some damage to a pokemon. Cloyster turned on a light! Kyogre fainted! No.

I'm not trying to bash everyone who has a different opinion from mine, so if you want light type that's your opinion not mine. I just would like suggestions for new stuff in pokemon to be something that ian't so generic and bland!

Sorry if I offended antone I'm just stating my strong opinion on the matter. Nothing more...

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    dark is another word for "evil" in pokemon types.

Since there is an "evil" or "dark" type, common sense says that pokemon who aren't "Evil" or "dark" type...aren't dark or evil, there fore a light type isn't needed/makes no sense.

Light is a dumb idea imo. it makes no real sense.

Sound type however, i could see that happening. maybe add "deafness" as a status infliction :P

In a previous idea about Sound that I posted, I posted Dazed as a status effect that could be added in.

Chaos I like, and have thought of aswell. Sound.. I like that one, alot of attacks would be changed to it, Supersonic, Sonicboom, (technically all the thunder moves as thunder is NOT electricity but the sound therein caused by, lol) Sing of course. Alot of the confusing attacks would be under the sound type. Should then addin a new status effect "Dazed" Kinda like Paralyze and Confuse put together, might hit might hit self, may fall over on their butt. lol

Deafness or what have you, I think wouldn't work, as then it would/should mean that they are no longer able to ne hurt via sound type attacks, as they wouldn't hear them.

I would qoute anti-pop, but omg me qouting that much respectible thought, would put me unto a whole new page, and the next poster would be on another one after. lol. I can respect your opinions and I agree for the most part with some of them.

Some new Eevee evolutions would be cool, but I can also understand we don't want Eevee becoming the first pokemon to become baby god, then in the next gen becoming nerfed stat wise.

About the 5 main types that are being discussed here.
    Light; while it would make sense, I personally can't see it working. And no one has stepped up to show me what or how it should go. Dark being its weakness and strength and vice versa makes sense. But otherly I can't think of any other setups.
    Virtual; I can see this one evolving into something fun, maybe even taking a note from the banned ep with Porygon, where you get to go INTO a computer and finding the pokemon that have been created inside the pokemon programs by Bill and Lanette. A whole new world to play in. Just keep it from becoming like Megaman Battle Network. eepk.
    Sound; I think has the best potential, specially with pokemon that should already be in this categoyr, ie Spinda, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud. Then many attacks, such as Supersonic, howl, many others. This one I really like.
    Chaos; this one I can see working, just form the GCN games alone. Where they introduced the 'shadow' pokemon. Which while being just an affliction. Could say over years become part of the pokemon strain.
    Space; Would actually make sense, if they wanted to get into the history of pokemon. Satoshi Tajiri's history. Pokemon were aliens came to earth, over years our animals became infected and gained new powers to become what we know as Pokemon.

I personally think there are many more viable types for pokemon to work with, I would very much like to see pokemon get back into the history of pokemon, and stop the repetitive gameplay, develop a more involving storyline. Anyone who started with pokemon red/blue then picked up Yellow will understand that feeling. Where you go from no story to, omg hey theres a story in my pokemon game!!! The heck!

We all know pokemon is far from over, and hopefully NIntendo and Gamefreak will start noticing that it could continue even longer if they make it feel new, and seem new. Same thing over and over gets abit like a repeating rash. lol. Lets fight team rocket again!... oh your groups name is Aqua, and yours is magma eh... OK lets fight team steam!.. oh my bad galaxy... are you ALL owned by Giovanni or just using the same inferior model of being beaten by a kid who hasn't hit puberty for fun?

Vainz

The Pokemon and Jedi Master
    Years
    They dont really need anymore types. That would just make the game a lot more confusing. I would love to see way more type combinations. Im glad they tried to make so many new ghost types. Some types that need more pokes:

Fire/Electric
    Fire/Water, Grass/Fire (I dont know how, but they will some day)
    Ghost/Steel
    Electric/Flying (only Zapdos)

I also think changing the types of the starter pokes would be cool. I hate the same old thing over and over again.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2007
    types

Almost every type everyone said was good.Their should be new types but not alot maybe only one,two or three.Theirs lots a types already.Just to make something knew.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Light type, moan...(I know, I didn't say "groan..." this time!). How generic. Light is SE (supereffective) against dark and vice versa. Tell me something I haven't heard. It's early in the morning and I'm in no mood to go on a rant, so I'll go on a mini-rant. Dark type doesn't refer to lighting. Last I checked "crunch" or "faint attack" darkened the sky or made it darker. Light type misses the point. Light type...oh boy. It would confirm to me nintendo is out of ideas. Light? What's that gonna do to Kingdra? Make it light blue instead of normal blue? The other types each have some good points. We need something that is either effective against dragon types or hurt by dragon types. Light type is the good vs. evil concept all mixed up. Dark is more like tricky or sinister, not pure evil or the darkness of the room. My best example is Weavile. Does that darken the room or look like a pure evil guy? No! Since when does light type mean "good" (rather than evil)??? It's so generic and obvious. To be honest, I don't think a light type would beat ME up. Light type is basically psychic type and electric type mixed in to a (for lack of a better term) retarded type. Virtual would be cool. Maybe add a type to a few pokes like steel was added to magneton. The porygon evos are obvious, but what about ditto? He could be virtual type. How about Zam or Clefable? They don't look like they're from a video game, but what pokemon does? (there's a strange irony in that statement.) So yeah, as you can see my stance on light type remains the same.

EDIT: Light type sucks! Sorry, I couldn't resist. So bland. Plain and simple.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2008
    Dark and Steel were added because they were needed. All these other types are wanted - in no way are they actually needed in the games.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Cipher 2007, VERY good point. Probably the best anyone has made. Light type isn't needed. Now that I think about it, it somewhat copies fire type too. I won't go on another rant, I have to work on my netbattle team. Thank goodness for all of you b/c I'd probably take up the whole freakin' page.

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    Well sweeties, I would love to see a Light type Pokémon! X3 If there's a Dark type, there has to be a Light type.

I completely agree. I'm surprised the Light-type hasn't come out in any of the new generations yet. Without a Light-type, what's the point of having a Dark-type anyway?

I've heard that the Dark-type attacks deal a little more with evil and chaos than with just plain darkness. But either way, it has an opposite--light. And Light being the opposite of Dark would kind of be the fun part about it. The Light and Dark-types could have completely opposite type matchups, so a Light/Dark-type Pokemon would be neutral to all types of attacks. (But of course, that means getting rid of the Psychic-type immunity.)

I always found it awkward that some Normal-type attacks don't really seem that "normal" to me--most notably the sound-based moves, Swift, Tri Attack, and Hyper Beam. That idea of a Sound-type could be expanded into this category of attack, perhaps called the Energy-type. This type would utilise any miscellaneous form of energy not covered by any of the other types, and has an immunity to itself. Also, this type could be weak against the Normal-type--that would be a first.

Jedite1000

Deoxys Master
    Years
    they should have unkown type like they dont know what type it is, classified as ??? or something, well thats my silly idea :p

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    I won't even get into my hatred of the idea of light type. I have to leave to the airport anyways. I will say that a ??? type like the move curse would be interesting. Dark means more like sinister so light type doesn't make sense. It is so obvious it is completely bland and generic. RUN! He turned the lights on! Just saying. Generous type would be more like the opposite of dark but who wants that? Like Cipher 2007 said, dark and steel type were NEEDED, light type is WANTED, not NEEDED at all. What current pokemon would be light type anyways? Don't even say blissey or any of those cute little puffballs. Yeah, that's all I got. Virtual type would be pretty cool...

Cosmic Tyrant

Ruler of the Cosmos
    Years
    Well, I do have to agree on the steel and dark types being needed (But did they both HAVEto be weak to fighting?) I also have to state that a Light type would be interesting, but if they don't end up having one, I will not be phazed in any means whatsoever. I mean' I like it, but it's WAYYYYYY too obvious. That's why I tried to mix it up a little. No offence to anyone for the light type, but it's just over-rated in my opinion...

pokenoob

00berness Lord
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2007
    ???

They should make the ??? type a real type, it could be like the ultimate type

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Poll Closed.

Alright people, the poll is closed as of today, and as I said I would. I will take the most popular types, having more than 3 comments about. And post them into a new poll, with dual options. Meaning you can pick two.

As it stands, Space, Light, Virtual, Sound and Chaos.

Too those who said ??? type, yeah im putting that into the chaos category.

The new thread will be;
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2709113#post2709113

Check it out, and please vote for your favorite. ^^

Thanks for the input, Vizforte.

GodSaurus

Rock hard all night, baby
    Years
    @Anti Pop-culture warrior (in his post rambling about eeveelutions): Well, names like "Leafeon" and "Flareon" aren't too creative either.
    -----------------------------------

Hey, what about this:
    GLITCH type XD

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Please check..

Ok, I love that people are still thinking of new types, but the new thread is here now.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98124

Please go there with any more ideas, and vote on the findings. ^^

GodSaurus @Anti Pop-culture warrior (in his post rambling about eeveelutions): Well, names like "Leafeon" and "Flareon" aren't too creative either.
    -----------------------------------

Hey, what about this:
    GLITCH type XD

I believe would fall under the virtual type. ^^

Last edited:
    Back